Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,221 members, 7,807,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

Politics 101, Please Teach Me About Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics 101, Please Teach Me About Nigeria (787 Views)

Soldiers Teach Local Boys in the North-East (Photos) / Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / 101 Drug Firms Sanctioned In Edo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics 101, Please Teach Me About Nigeria by Isiolo(m): 5:38am On Aug 01, 2009
Having spent time between the African states of Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia and having near-complete expertise over their politics as well as Djibouti, I wanna know more about Nigeria.

Naija is in my top 3 prospects for moving to Africa for further education, #1 is Khartoum and #2 is split between Cairo and Lagos. I reject Khartoum somewhat because its anti-Alcohol and I like to get tipsy now and then. grin

I had a Somali mentor who recently moved to Lagos though I haven't heard from him in a bit, I really wanna check it out, I saw pics and it looks amazing. I love coastal cities, reminds me of Mogadishu's Lido Beach before Aidid's glue-sniffing teenage militia destroyed it.

I can look on Wikipedia for days and I have, but nothing points me in the right direction. I checked out the Sectarian section too but that barely covers the surface of Nigeria's political scheme. Tell me what's going on.

One strange thing I noticed is that in 2007, Muslim candidates ate up 96% of the total votes. Something smells of corruption and extreme religious/cultural sectarianism much like Sudan but to a much lesser extent.

Anything helps, I'm a former Political Science student and I still crave for it. undecided
Re: Politics 101, Please Teach Me About Nigeria by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 01, 2009
Any opinion you receive from any nigerian, be it on this forum or on ground is likely to be riddled with religious and tribal sentiments.

Only few people like Richyblack; bawamolo, Afam and old lucabrasi might attempt being unbiased in their opinions.
Re: Politics 101, Please Teach Me About Nigeria by vigasimple(m): 6:49pm On Aug 01, 2009
Isiolo:

Having spent time between the African states of Kenya, Somalia, and Ethiopia and having near-complete expertise over their politics as well as Djibouti, I wanna know more about Nigeria.

Naija is in my top 3 prospects for moving to Africa for further education, #1 is Khartoum and #2 is split between Cairo and Lagos. I reject Khartoum somewhat because its anti-Alcohol and I like to get tipsy now and then. grin

I had a Somali mentor who recently moved to Lagos though I haven't heard from him in a bit, I really wanna check it out, I saw pics and it looks amazing. I love coastal cities, reminds me of Mogadishu's Lido Beach before Aidid's glue-sniffing teenage militia destroyed it.

I can look on Wikipedia for days and I have, but nothing points me in the right direction. I checked out the Sectarian section too but that barely covers the surface of Nigeria's political scheme. Tell me what's going on.

[b]One strange thing I noticed is that in 2007, Muslim candidates ate up 96% of the total votes. Something smells of corruption and extreme religious/cultural sectarianism much like Sudan but to a much lesser extent.[/b]Anything helps, I'm a former Political Science student and I still crave for it. undecided

You got this spot on. Nigerian politics is dominated by the North
'BORN TO RULE' They knew from onset or advised by the British (our colonial master) to cling on to political power at all costs, and they have done so religiously whether it is civilian administartion or military(as they have more people in the Armed forces through schememing and killing southern officers.

The other thing they do unashamedly and aided by complex ridden south is that if they are unable to get an office because of Federal character distributions of posts, they will scheme to ensure that only muslims or 'northern breed or mentality person' is appointed., example speaker of the National House of Assembly and a lot of Southern or south west ministers are Muslims

Then of course like mosts of their African counterpart, Nigerian Politics, politicians from top to bottom are materials for your PHD in CORRUPTION STUDIES, and once you learn very well in Nigeria dont bother about any other African country, we export corruption more than we are able to export crude oil.(as corruption has broken down our refinery, and we now import not only refined oil but also crude oil for our refineries)

WELCOME TO THE CITADEL OF LEARNING IN JUNGLE POLITICS grin grin grin
Re: Politics 101, Please Teach Me About Nigeria by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 01, 2009
nuzo:

Any opinion you receive from any nigerian, be it on this forum or on ground is likely to be riddled with religious and tribal sentiments.

Only few people like Richyblack; bawamolo, Afam and old lucabrasi might attempt being unbiased in their opinions.

what a joke. undecided

and a liar.  undecided

@ poster

online chatter does not substitute for physical experience. If you want to live in Nigeria then go there. If you prefer Cairo or Khartoum- I'm sure they have places where people drink.

Its not by force to go to Nigeria plz.

Since Richyblack claims to live in Somalia with his Somalian partner, then maybe he can tell you where to find other Somalians.

why so many Somalis in lagos btw.

(1) (Reply)

JTF Kill 6 Innocent People In Onitsha / Why Bode George, Others Refused Prison Uniforms / Its Hell In The Niger-delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.