Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. (29290 Views)

Where Are Our First-class Graduates And Professors? / How We Attained Academic Excellence - By 10 First Class Graduates (pics) / Pre Degree Entrance Examination Past Questions And Answers For Nigerian Unis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Nobody: 6:18am On Apr 11, 2016
eazzzy1:

The oldest private school in Nigeria, i believe is not 20 yet. It is not that the lecturers from public schools are bad, there are systems in place in private schools that regulates these lecturers. they cant behave like they will when they lecture in public schools. You cant compare teaching a class of 50students (private schools), to teaching a class of 400 students in a public school. I see CU ranking amongst the 10 best schools in Africa before 2025. There is a higher demand for their graduates than most federal schools. I have seen ads specifying U.I, OAU and CU for employments. The system is there to help their students do well in school. My lecturer can set an exam question on a topic he did not teach us simply because he expects us to know it, that wont happen in a private school. We need reforms in public schools abeg.

Im not disputing the fact that the public school need an overhaul.
The oldest private university I agree is not up to 20 years old but it has been long enough to start making waves if indeed the quality of education is indeed as you say it is. so far the only difference in quality of education is the amount of time you finish your programme. by system in place I take it you mean get a couple of lecturers, pay them well and demand that they not fail the students unnecesarily we know how these things work meanwhile its still the same lazy teachers with little achievements. You think because you pay a man suddenly he will become this genius lecturer and give you better knowledge than what he knows andhas been teaching all his life ? look its not about how many companies want your products.. besides most international corporations that have been in business and recognize how to identify potential dont put those silly clauses.

2 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Nobody: 6:27am On Apr 11, 2016
joseph1832:
I'll rather have my kids school in the U.S or Europe than here. As long as the university is in Nigeria, *cough...

Why compromise standard.
My thoughts too bro. Ill never have my kids study in naija thats for sure

1 Like

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Nobody: 6:28am On Apr 11, 2016
I know there are many several amenities that favor private university students but it still doesn't make them the best brains out there,thats why i find it pathetic when banks like access bank discriminate against based on school. I sabi 2:1 Students in public university wey fit stand first class students of some so-called private universities

1 Like

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Pasca07: 6:33am On Apr 11, 2016
joseph1832:
I'll rather have my kids school in the U.S or Europe than here. As long as the university is in Nigeria, *cough...

Why compromise standard.
some universities in USA are expensive than our private universities I will rather school in private university for my undergraduate then proceed to do my master in Canada that is the best option.....
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by delishpot: 6:33am On Apr 11, 2016
McSterling:
Fact is many of us who attended/attend public institutions have been hardwired to think graduating with a good grade is such a big deal. This is because of the abuse of power by lecturers in public institutions. These lecturers deliberately make a fuss out of easy courses, scare students and set exams in such a way that several would fail. Sometimes they reduce your score or fail you outrightly. Imagine a lecturer telling his students before exams that nobody will get an A in his course. A lecturer of mine would hardly give an A no matter what you write, even when you churn out facts from both textbooks and notes. Makes you wonder, "what fvcking else does this man want from me?" I remember taking CHM 101 in my first year. This was practically basic chemistry. There was nothing in the course I didn't know before, but we had about 3 lecturers handling it and they made such a fuss of this course such that freshers failed en masse at the end of the day.

It is hard for us to accept that private universities like CU only do things the right way. It's more convenient to say they're substandard. It isn't so had to get a first class or second class upper, provided you're studious. That's why many Nigerians perform excellently in universities abroad. Cut out the excesses of lecturers and public institutions will probably churn out more first class students.

God bless you a thousand times. You hit the nail square on the head

1 Like

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by oshaosha2014(m): 6:35am On Apr 11, 2016
Hm, you have summarised the while private-public university saga well. Best write up on this issue. We have been brainwashed with all sorts of mental torture to believe achieving a first class grade is a herculean task. Our public educational system needs colonisation, in fact, the whole of Nigeria needs to be recolonised, we hardly get anything right. Black man, we get problem gan!

McSterling:
Fact is many of us who attended/attend public institutions have been hardwired to think graduating with a good grade is such a big deal. This is because of the abuse of power by lecturers in public institutions. These lecturers deliberately make a fuss out of easy courses, scare students and set exams in such a way that several would fail. Sometimes they reduce your score or fail you outrightly. Imagine a lecturer telling his students before exams that nobody will get an A in his course. A lecturer of mine would hardly give an A no matter what you write, even when you churn out facts from both textbooks and notes. Makes you wonder, "what fvcking else does this man want from me?" I remember taking CHM 101 in my first year. This was practically basic chemistry. There was nothing in the course I didn't know before, but we had about 3 lecturers handling it and they made such a fuss of this course such that freshers failed en masse at the end of the day.

It is hard for us to accept that private universities like CU only do things the right way. It's more convenient to say they're substandard. It isn't so had to get a first class or second class upper, provided you're studious. That's why many Nigerians perform excellently in universities abroad. Cut out the excesses of lecturers and public institutions will probably churn out more first class students.
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by joseph1832(m): 6:35am On Apr 11, 2016
Pasca07:
some universities in USA are expensive than our private universities I will rather school in private university for my undergraduate then proceed to do my master in Canada that is the best option.....
For you! Not for me. Your preferences aren't my preferences...
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by alexlee50: 6:36am On Apr 11, 2016
Op you talked about the school facilities which could enhance learning 24hrs light, internet facility.what about the calibre of lectures? Does the school attract the best kinds of lecturers, what about the learning process? How do the students cope? Are all the courses accredited? How many science/engineering/medical courses do they run? Can these students compare with those from public schools ? Do they block/sort courses there too? What about sexual favours for marks are these found there? Above all, how much knowledge or confidence do these students show or have in the area they have obtained a degreee?

4 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Pasca07: 6:37am On Apr 11, 2016
joseph1832:
For you! Not for me. Your preferences aren't my preferences...
yeah preferences differs
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Nobody: 6:37am On Apr 11, 2016
Just be consoling yourselves.
So, doctors trained in Igbinedion University are better than University Ibadan trained doctors? See mumu talk.
Lwkmd.

3 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Nobody: 6:40am On Apr 11, 2016
lets face fact...federal uni is the real world of education, where u struggle and work hard to earn anything including grade and degree.private university train their student and pamper them during exams giving them good grades thereafter to compensate their parents for paying wholesomely and heavily.Most private university first class are not even cherished in the labour market.
That is why some intelligent wealthy people would rather send their kids to federal universities because they understand that the federal university degree make more sense.Why has any first class student not been carried in news like the current federal uno guy that graduated with a 5.0CGPA??

5 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by ReverseEngineer: 6:42am On Apr 11, 2016
Dear Op, I understand your grievances especially after reading and digesting the thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/3040194/private-universities-facilities-analysis
But consider this excerpt from the thread:

The fallacy that private universities are well
equipped has to stop. It's sheer mediocrity. I can
tell you they are even less equipped than public
Schools. Would you compare the Medical
program of Unilorin to that of CU (If any)? Or
UCH to Babcock's? Severally, we've even seen
these schools come to the so called Ill equipped
schools to lend some apparatus when some of
their programs are to be accredited. These
"Outdated" schools produce students who shine
internationally at quizzes while the "up-to-date"
ones are beaten flawlessly by the former.
Concerning how equipped they are, tell that to
Iranians who have no idea how things are done
here.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by linsa01(m): 6:44am On Apr 11, 2016
One day during my undergraduate days, I asked one of my lecturers why has my dept not produced 1st class and his response was... how many profs have taught us? He said until we pass through the hands of 6-10 profs and still maintain our good grades. That is what I'm made to believe in public unis. So my question is that how many profs are there in private universities?

Private university students get grades cos they pay so much for their education, so your little must be rewarded. I don't blame them for the high fees. at least they will pay their staff and maintain the school.

2 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by peekeny(m): 6:47am On Apr 11, 2016
jordyspices:
Wat abt the state schools paying s high as private schools.
yea ... dia ar some state universities ar payin as high as private university e.g kwara state university demandin 100k frm d indigene students and 200k frm d non-indigene students.
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by misscall247: 6:51am On Apr 11, 2016
joseph1832:
OP I'll have you know that going to school is a 2 way project. You go to school and the school go through you. You guys in private uni only go to school. There are many things being in tertiary institution entail, I see no reason why a student will be doctored and monitored and be told what to do, and what not to do. It negates the very thought of freedom.
lol...most of them dnt know what is MBExam,SUG,etc
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by joseph1832(m): 6:53am On Apr 11, 2016
misscall247:
lol...most of them dnt know what is MBExam,SUG,etc
LOL.
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by tosyne2much(m): 6:57am On Apr 11, 2016
Babzilla:
Hahahhaha.. electricity money and infrastructure thats the reason for the high first class turnouts... please.
In spite of the huge turn outs of first class students ask yourselves this. Why has none of the private schools made the best universities in World if the quality of education is as you argue it is.
Also remember many of the lecturers were pulled form the public schools which would mean its still the same quality of edication you get from the public schools with less stress of course
Lastly in spite of all the bragging on the quality of education in the private schools Im still yet to hear of any remarkable breakthrough in the field of research, science or technology achieved by any product of these schools.
Just saying
On point bro cool

1 Like

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 6:57am On Apr 11, 2016
McSterling:

You have said it all. Let me add to your points.

Many of our public school lecturers are lazy and backward. Could you imagine a student asking his lecturer about new things he read about a course and the lecturer told him if you write anything like that for me in my exam he will fail him. Presently now, I was reading some things in my discipline, I realised that I am lagging behind. I told my colleagues that, we don't know anything we are just trained to read and pass.

I have concluded my mind not to ever discriminate between Public Universities or Private universities because, have met good product from public and private universities. Have read research papers from private universities most especially from CU and Babcock university

3 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Fearcom(m): 6:59am On Apr 11, 2016
linsa01:
One day during my undergraduate days, I asked one of my lecturers why has my dept not produced 1st class and his response was... how many profs have taught us? He said until we pass through the hands of 6-10 profs and still maintain our good grades. That is what I'm made to believe in public unis. So my question is that how many profs are there in private universities?

Private university students get grades cos they pay so much for their education, so your little must be rewarded. I don't blame them for the high fees. at least they will pay their staff and maintain the school.

Your lecturer gave you an unintelligent response.

Think about it. You don't have to be necessarily taught by a bunch of professors to excel and to have a first class degree. So if you study hard and you're supposed to get an A, you will be marked down because "they don't get an A in that department". Is that a dignified response? Lecturers do what they like and are hardly called to question in public schools. Imagine a lecturer failing a babe for refusing to date him! And when you check her other courses she was headed for a first class! When she demanded for her script she was told it couldn't be found!! Can that lecturer dare it in a private uni?? When you're CONFIDENT and you know the stuff you're made of and you're provided the most conducive environment you will definitely excel, Mind you many students in private uni also graduate with a pass despite the money they pay. Also for CU I know for a fact that virtually all their courses are accredited.

2 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by martineverest(m): 7:01am On Apr 11, 2016
eazzzy1:
After graduating with a second class lower from Uniosun ( It was based on silly errors in result compilations), I went to do a post graduate diploma at Humber college Canada and i made a CGPA of 3.7/4. Fact is that i did not study as hard as i did when i was in Nigeria. I am sure I would have made an equally great grade if i had studied in a private institution like CU.

Moral of the story is that government owned institutions has failed Nigeria students. I had a very brilliant friend that had an extra year for fault that were not his. If my children were to school in Nigeria, non will go to a public school. Education is not meant to be difficult as this people make it. Imagine having to cram about 13 formulas for a statistics exam ending by 12pm and you have economics by 2pm that requires further cramming of formulas, when schools abroad will give you the formulas to use. As if any one uses those formulas in real life situations.

I will choose CU (only private school i trust) over any other school in Nigeria.
2 exams in a day is sickening. Mine was 2-3 days interval

one man's meat is another's poison.. I rejected Private university for pubic.

1 Like

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:04am On Apr 11, 2016
linsa01:

Oga which kind of assumption is that. Throughout my 5years in Unilag, Mechanical Engineering don't have professor(s) because they all retired the almost the same time. That never stopped them from producing first class and best overall student in the school.
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Nobody: 7:05am On Apr 11, 2016
eazzzy1:

Exactly. That is how it is suppose to be easy. Once you go for classes, pay attention in class, do assignments, study your notes and show up for tests and exams. You shouldn't be friends with HOD to be able to come out in flying colours, you shouldn't spend half of your life in librarys to be able to make a second class upper. Diligence should be rewarded at all times. When you know your hardwork will be rewarded, it motivates you to work harder.
Yeah bruh. Would like to try one of these white unis abroad though after my first degree
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by realmindz: 7:06am On Apr 11, 2016
dulux07:
Based on experience, i realise most of these public uni students beeef priv schs. Most times its out of envy, for the fact that your parents are not privileged to send u to one, should not make u bad-mouth them.
The only difference between the two is, education is carried out in a more condusive and principled environment than the other.

Nice write up..op.

most people that went to private universities attempted federal universities but were rejected...forever proud of to have gone to a federal university, never ever have I had a regret

2 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by AfroKnight: 7:09am On Apr 11, 2016
Babzilla:
Hahahhaha.. electricity money and infrastructure thats the reason for the high first class turnouts... please.
In spite of the huge turn outs of first class students ask yourselves this. Why has none of the private schools made the best universities in World if the quality of education is as you argue it is.
Also remember many of the lecturers were pulled form the public schools which would mean its still the same quality of edication you get from the public schools with less stress of course
Lastly in spite of all the bragging on the quality of education in the private schools Im still yet to hear of any remarkable breakthrough in the field of research, science or technology achieved by any product of these schools.
Just saying

I hope you know that Harvard, Princeton, Yale (in fact, all Ivy League schools), Stanford, MIT and other top institutions are private universities. Plus, their fees are very very high. That's why most students apply for grants or scholarships - even rich kids.

2 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Jazzlite: 7:11am On Apr 11, 2016
No one has the right to contribute to this topic like me.

I have attended both private and public universities at both postgraduate and undergraduate levels.
It's early I will make my thread later.
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by babyfaceafrica: 7:13am On Apr 11, 2016
I trust only public universites...UI ,UNILAG,OAU,UNN,UNILORIN,ABU and UNIBEN....aside from these I go overseas......private universities ko private company ni

1 Like

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by jlo247(m): 7:15am On Apr 11, 2016
Imagine, a lecturer will be boasting that in the previous years no one have A in his course. In fact in my own school after u have seen your score on the score sheet that you have A Or B in a particular course don't be carried away with your score because when the broad sheet comes out one may end up carrying the course it happens to a friend of mine.
And ur course adviser will only advice you to go and re write the course that you had already passed. Our course adviser are not helping us at all. Sometimes when u meet them for help it may be on results issue or another thing they will tell u that they don't want to have any misunderstanding with any lecturer so go and help ur self. All this shit cannot happen in private University. All the same I rep UNILAG
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by linsa01(m): 7:15am On Apr 11, 2016
Fearcom:

Your lecturer gave you an unintelligent response.

Think about it. You don't have to be necessarily taught by a bunch of professors to excel and to have a first class degree. So if you study hard and you're supposed to get an A, you will be marked down because "they don't get an A in that department". Is that a dignified response? Lecturers do what they like and are hardly called to question in public schools. Imagine a lecturer failing a babe for refusing to date him! And when you check her other courses she was headed for a first class! When she demanded for her script she was told it couldn't be found!! Can that lecturer dare it in a private uni?? When you're CONFIDENT and you know the stuff you're made of and you're provided the most conducive environment you will definitely excel, Mind you many students in private uni also graduate with a pass despite the money they pay. Also for CU I know for a fact that virtually all their courses are accredited.

as unintelligent as it may look, thats their belief. and I can tell you up till now we have not produced a 1st class candidate in the department. Just letting you see why public unis don't produce much 1st class like privates
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Nobody: 7:16am On Apr 11, 2016
AfroKnight:

I hope you know that Harvard and Princeton are private universities. Plus, their fees are very very high. That's why most students apply for grants or scholarships.
But thats not why they are the best. They are the best because they go out of their way to recruit the best minds into their system. Even if you cant afford their fees if you have the potential they will give you a scholarship.
In naija, you could be the 2nd coming of Albert Einstein no private university will give you admission. On the other hand You could be as smart as a bag of potatoes as long as you can afford it you qualify for their system so you see..

3 Likes

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by OlujobaSamuel: 7:19am On Apr 11, 2016
fee doesn't mean an educational system will be the best.
the best university in the world is not even close to the most expensive.
we are so used to nonsense in our schools that we don't know what's right. that's why you see people condemn unilorin because they are better than them in abiding with calendar.
I have someone outside Nigeria, she returned her exam script because of 1mark, the funniest part was that the lecturer left the school after that semester, so a mail was sent to the lecturer to confirm the complaint, and her 1mark was eventually added.
I imagine having such issue with a lecturer here in Nigeria public school, you and I know what our fellow students will say, not to talk of a lecturer.
there's this post on examination malpractice in a school and about 95% of commentators opposed the guy, yet they all scream corruption to high heavens.
we have been so bastardized that we can't just accept that somethings are wrong in our public administration.

1 Like

Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by bigtt76(f): 7:20am On Apr 11, 2016
How I hate those trails of dusty sand on the roadside undecided couldn't they have gotten a machine to sweep the roads every morning ....well asking for too much it seem grin
Re: Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. by Draxler: 7:20am On Apr 11, 2016
Silvofitz:
Just be consoling yourselves.
So, doctors trained in Igbinedion University are better than University Ibadan trained doctors? See mumu talk.
Lwkmd.
Have you been to BU's medical school? Have you seen their programme? Can any of your federal schools take you abroad to India and the Us to learn? Stay there and be living in past glory

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NNPC/CHEVRON JV National University Scholarship Awards 2016 Application Is On / This Disable Man Crawls Half Kilometer Every Day To School In Niger State(photos / Covenant University Suspends Final Year Students For Missing Easter Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 3
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.