Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,957 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? (15416 Views)

Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down / Addressing The Somali Trolls / Why Aren't Somali Woman In Hollywood???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Amd1740: 12:48pm On Apr 11, 2016
'Bantus are ethnically, physically, and culturally distinct from Somalis, and they have remained marginalized ever since their arrival in Somalia.'

*jareer = hard hair

Bantu adult and children slaves (referred to collectively as jareer* by their Somali masters[13]) were purchased in the slave market exclusively to do undesirable work on plantation grounds.[13] They were made to work in plantations owned by Somalis along the southern Shebelle and Jubba rivers, harvesting lucrative cash crops such as grain and cotton.[14] Bantu slaves toiled under the control of and separately from their Somali patrons'

'In terms of legal considerations, Bantu slaves were devalued. Somali social mores strongly discouraged, censured and looked down upon any kind of sexual contact with Bantu slaves. Freedom for these plantation slaves was also often acquired through escape.[13]

As part of a broader practice then common among slave owners in Northeast Africa, some Somali masters in the hinterland near Mogadishu reportedly used to circumcise their female slaves so as to increase the latter's perceived value in the slave market. In 1609, the Portuguese missionary João dos Santos reported that one such group had a "custome to sew up their females, especially their slaves being young to make them unable for conception, which makes these slaves sell dearer, both for their chastitie, and for better confidence which their masters put in them.'

'The Bantus were also conscripted to forced labor on Italian-owned plantations since the Somalis themselves were averse to what they deemed menial labor,[17] and because the Italians viewed the Somalis as racially superior to the Bantu.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Somalia

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Flexherbal(m): 1:08pm On Apr 11, 2016
History 101. Thanks for sharing.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 11, 2016
Niggers oppressing Niggers. Unlike the whitemen, Niggers brag about it because Niggers lack decency! Shame on the nigger race, especially the sub races that feel superior to other sub races.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Amd1740: 7:18pm On Apr 11, 2016
VomeSchakleton:
Niggers oppressing Niggers. Unlike the whitemen, Niggers brag about it because Niggers lack decency! Shame on the nigger race, especially the sub races that feel superior to other sub races.

Blame the Arabs not the Somalis.

Arabs started the Blacks slavery first, then came the Somalis.

The Arabs took the slaves from their homes (Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya and West Africa) and kidnapped on ships and boats to Somalia.

Many Europeans, Arabs, and Somalis bought them.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 14, 2016
The white colonizers viewed Somali as racially superior and this is something Somalis hold onto dearly till this very day.
Kinda ironic when you consider how Somalis will ridicule African-Americans as being 'mentally colonized' while bragging about how they themselves aren't.

Also, I hope this post wasn't made to somehow show Somalis as superior over Bantu.
Couple things you should realize:
1. Bantu enslaved other Bantu and sold them to Somali.
2. Not hard to keep a person in captivity when you deprive them of food & water + use contraptions to keep them bound and also guns borrowed from Europeans to keep them obedient.
3. Historically Somalis were slaves, and today the majority of slavery happening today of Africans are mainly those from the horn (Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti) at the hands of Arabs. Somalis are still known to Arabs as 'Abeed' (meaning slave).
4. Slavery of Bantus was never widespread in Somalia. Only very few owned slaves.
5. Many Bantu countries are light years ahead of Somalia.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Apr 14, 2016
blah93:
The white colonizers viewed Somali as racially superior and this is something Somalis hold onto dearly till this very day.
Kinda ironic when you consider how Somalis will ridicule African-Americans as being 'mentally colonized' while bragging about how they themselves aren't.

Also, I hope this post wasn't made to somehow show Somalis as superior over Bantu.
2. Not hard to keep a person in captivity when you deprive them of food & water + use contraptions to keep them bound and also guns borrowed from Europeans to keep them obedient.
3. Historically Somalis were slaves, and today the majority of slavery happening today of Africans are mainly those from the horn (Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti) at the hands of Arabs. Somalis are still known to Arabs as 'Abeed' (meaning slave).
4. Slavery of Bantus was never widespread in Somalia. Only very few owned slaves.

According to the UN, somalia has a gdp per capita of 131, the lowest in the world. It is literally the biggest shiit hole in the world. so who are they superior to? lol! this idiott is truely shameless! im sure a country run by dogs could be more productive. no offense to the good, honest somalis here, im sure its dumbos like these that are holding you back.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 18, 2016
Fool!

Your Somali Nomads can't differentiate a blade of grass from millet. Somali plantations indeed. Any farmlands in Somalia are Bantu owned.

Keep dreaming of you imaginary slaves. Bantus cannot bow to weaklings who survive on camel milk.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Horner: 7:11pm On Apr 18, 2016
we used to own the black apes make them lick our shoes clean till the UN created human rights, just wait till we get rid of alshabab we won't just ban bush meat but also put you west african apes in cages
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 5:54am On Apr 19, 2016
blah93:

Ask the Afro Americans and the west indians who they believe sold them... Nigeria is a sell out! 100 languages and tribes shows zero unity. You'd sell your mum for a few quid so abeg chill.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 6:04am On Apr 19, 2016
Muafrika2:
Fool!

Your Somali Nomads can't differentiate a blade of grass from millet. Somali plantations indeed. Any farmlands in Somalia are Bantu owned.
F
Keep dreaming of you imaginary slaves. Bantus cannot bow to weaklings who survive on camel milk.

Camel milk is strong btw. General anesthetic couldn't work on a person with a high Camel intake in their diet.

Anyway Nigerians couldn't afford Camels anyway hence why you'll are eating Bush meat. Somalis are rich by nature because even at our worst we'd never eat monkeys and wild animals. You'll are the reason people fear that all the wild animals in Africa will be extinct. So go make some money and quit eating the wildlife that makes this earth a beautiful place.

Uffffff i don't know what im doing on the culture section. I thought the somali trolls were bad but you guys have nothing on this section but somali this and somali that. Somali trolls have won because you'll turned your culture section into Somali and East African section.

I'm out! Back to Family, Romance section where sane people roam.

My somali trolls continue. I'm sorry and i love you guys.

Nacalatulaaah upon these fools.

*Quote me and may you be a monkeys dinner*
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 7:28am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

Ask the Afro Americans who they believe sold them... Nigeria is a sell out! 100 languages and tribes shows zero unity. You'd sell your mum for a few quid so abeg chill.

This is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard, unity is not symbolised by forsaking one culture or language for another, rather it is symbolised by understanding our differences and learning to live with these differences. From what I understand, you Somalis are of the same ethnicity but are still having "clan" wars. We have multiple ethnicities but have somehow remained United. You have to respect that.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 7:31am On Apr 19, 2016
I don't want to sound like a broken record but when you come to the culture section and all there is is a bunch of trolls from a third world country this forum can't control, it's pretty fvcking embarrassing. Ignoring them isn't enough because they still create topics all over this section.

Fulaman198

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 7:38am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

This is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard, unity is not symbolised by forsaking one culture or language for another, rather it is symbolised by understanding our differences and learning to live with these differences. From what I understand, you Somalis are of the same ethnicity but are still having "clan" wars. We have multiple ethnicities but have somehow remained United. You have to respect that.

Look the proof is in the pudding as they say. Where is Nigeria today? How can they be united if they dont even understand each other. Would it not be better if you divided and each worked on your own corner and then later unite if you want because as Somalians we had to divide ourselves and maybe one day we'll unite or we'll just support each others successes from far. Somaliland and Somalia sounds better to me than oppression and tyranny due to the whole crabs in a barrel epidemic where one group won't let the other progress. Now we race for success and God knows what tomorrow will bring. Nigeria should try it.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:
I don't want to sound like a broken record but when you come to the culture section and all there is is a bunch of trolls from a third world country this forum can't control, it's pretty fvcking embarrassing. Ignoring them isn't enough because they still create topics all over this section.

Fulaman198

One should ignore trolls and not feed them. Insulting Somalis because of these clowns is disrepectful to Somali members who are here for the love of it and not the hate. After reading the replies of members on this forum replies to trolls inciteing hate im shocked and offended. Be the bigger people because you're the hosts. Ignore trolls. Their threads should have zero comments but right now we feeding them.

I am not a troll but i am Somali and i won't tolerate hate aimed at Somalis. Respect works both ways. Trolls have no respect so if you are a member then have respect. Not you maybe but many are using these trolls as an excuse to diss Somali people and culture.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

Look the proof is in the pudding as they say. Where is Nigeria today? How can they be united if they dont even understand each other. Would it not be better if you divided and each worked on your own corner and then later unite if you want because as Somalians we had to divide ourselves and maybe one day we'll unite or we'll just support each others successes from far. Somaliland and Somalia sounds better to me than oppression and tyranny due to the whole crabs in a barrel epidemic where one group won't let the other progress. Now we race for success and God knows what tomorrow will bring. Nigeria should try it.

You speak of the race for success but you forget Nigeria is so far ahead of you it's not even funny. Our GDP is more than 500 times bigger. Our GPD per capita more than 20 times bigger. You mock people who are and always have been better than you culturally, historically and in every aspect it's pathetic. We must be doing something right for now. Division might come later but that would be when everyone is satisfied with where he is.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

One should ignore trolls and not feed them. Insulting Somalis because of these clowns is disrepectful to Somali members who are here for the love of it and not the hate. After reading the replies of members on this forum replies to trolls inciteing hate im shocked and offended. Be the bigger people because you're the hosts. Ignore trolls. Their threads should have zero comments but right now we feeding them.

I am not a troll but i am Somali and i won't tolerate hate aimed at Somalis. Respect works both ways. Trolls have no respect so if you are a member then have respect. Not you maybe but many are using these trolls as an excuse to diss Somali people and culture.

Don't speak with two sides of your mouth. You were just encouraging these trolls earlier. And don't get me wrong, I actually have a few Somali friends, we get along fine. But when someone embraces buffoonery as much as these trolls have maybe it's best we air their dirty laundry.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Don't speak with two sides of your mouth. You were just encouraging these trolls earlier. And don't get me wrong, I actually have a few Somali friends, we get along fine. But when someone embraces buffoonery as much as these trolls have maybe it's best we air their dirty laundry.

I encourage because hateful cowards wanna hide behind them. I'll use all three sides of my mouth to speak. A troll is a troll. So fill your boots and come down to their level. This section is dead anyway. Somali trolls run the culture section from the look of things. No hard feelings have an awesome day and good bye...
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

You speak of the race for success but you forget Nigeria is so far ahead of you it's not even funny. Our GDP is more than 500 times bigger. Our GPD per capita more than 20 times bigger. You mock people who are and always have been better than you culturally, historically and in every aspect it's pathetic. We must be doing something right for now. Division might come later but that would be when everyone is satisfied with where he is.

Well when you'll are 180million strong these figures of comparason mean shi. Keep lying to yourselves because your truth or lies will never effect the price of Gas in Somalia. Somalia has never had any dealings or problems with Nigerians other than some children trolling a website.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:35am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

Well when you'll are 180million strong these figures of comparason mean shi. Keep lying to yourselves because your truth or lies will never effect the price of Gas in Somalia. Somalia has never had any dealings or problems with Nigerians other than some children trolling a website.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned gdp per capita. Still more than 20 times larger than yours. Figures say your country is literally the biggest shiit hole in the world, one would think you'd have better things to do than "trolling". Besides, there's no way these "trolls" could say these things if you didn't hold these beliefs in the first place. Where there's smoke, theres fire.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

I encourage because hateful cowards wanna hide behind them. I'll use all three sides of my mouth to speak. A troll is a troll. So fill your boots and come down to their level. This section is dead anyway. Somali trolls run the culture section from the look of things. No hard feelings have an awesome day and good bye...

You encourage them because to an extent you can relate to them. The only thing you somalis have the monopoly of running is your massive foreheads. No hard feelings.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:40am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned gdp per capita. Still more than 20 times larger than yours. Figures say your country is literally the biggest shiit hole in the world, one would think you'd have better things to do than "trolling". Besides, there's no way these "trolls" could day these things if you didn't hold these beliefs in the first place. Where there's smoke, theres fire.

*Yawns*

Bye.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

You encourage them because to an extent you can relate to them. The only thing you somalis have the monopoly of running is your massive foreheads. No hard feelings.

grin I'll take a forehead over a killer nose and chapped lips any day. Now quit quoting me cause I'm not going to play in the dirt with you.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

grin I'll take a forehead over a killer nose and chapped lips any day. Now quit quoting me cause I'm not going to play in the dirt with you.

And in your ignorance you think all West African ethnicities look the same or share similar features. Not that there's anything wrong with those with wide noses or lips. Beauty is subjective.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

*Yawns*

Bye.

Good bye. Don't ever come back please.
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned gdp per capita. Still more than 20 times larger than yours. Figures say your country is literally the biggest shiit hole in the world, one would think you'd have better things to do than "trolling". Besides, there's no way these "trolls" could say these things if you didn't hold these beliefs in the first place. Where there's smoke, theres fire.

Well figures lie but images state that you'll live in slums inside your major cities. Google Hargaisa and find a slum. The great Giants read in the dark while your students shag their way through universities to get fake grades. The world knows the truth while Nigerians lie to themselves. Your pain ain't Somalias fault so if looking down on Somalia helps the Naira then please continue.

Im above Sad fvcks! Ain't water available in your homes. Why do your men stink even in the west where water is readily available? I will answer it for you because you'll love money more than life and that's why God has punished Nigerians with poverty. Internal Poverty. Even with money people hold there nose when a Nigerian is in the room. Have a bath. Shave your privates and act like human beings and maybe god will favour you one day. Duces punk kiss
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

And in your ignorance you think all West African ethnicities look the same or share similar features. Not that there's anything wrong with those with wide noses or lips. Beauty is subjective.

I said Nigerians! Don't try and hide behind West Africa because your neighbours the Ghanaians are 100 times cleaner and better looking than you. tongue

I didn't say big lips i said chapped lips. Vaseline is your friend cheesy
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:57am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

Well figures lie but images state that you'll live in slums inside your major cities. Google Hargaisa and find a slum. The great Giants read in the dark while your students shag their way through universities to get fake grades. The world knows the truth while Nigerians lie to themselves. Your pain ain't Somalias fault so if looking down on Somalia helps the Naira then please continue.

Im above Sad fvcks! Ain't water available in your homes. Why do your men stink even in the west where water is readily available? I will answer it for you because you'll love money more than life and that's why God has punished Nigerians with poverty. Internal Poverty. Even with money people hold there nose when a Nigerian is in the room. Have a bath. Shave your privates and act like human beings and maybe god will favour you one day. Duces punk kiss

You upset Nigerians are shagging their way through school? I know we have image problems, one that's being rectified. But foolishly looking down on Nigerians won't solve your problems either, and you have a lot more problems than us.

I'm not sad, I'm just about the jolliest person in the world, Alhamdulillah. As to hygiene, I don't think a Somali should be speaking about hygiene. Btw, has God favoured you since you're so hygienic? Smh
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

I said Nigerians! Don't try and hide behind West Africa because your neighbours the Ghanaians are 100 times cleaner and better looking than you. tongue

I didn't say big lips i said chapped lips. Vaseline is your friend cheesy

First of all, Nigerian is not an ethnicity dumbo, it's a nationality. Secondly, Ghanaians are about the well... I'd rather not speak.

Again, I don't think a Somali should be speaking about chapped lips.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 9:06am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

You upset Nigerians are shagging their way through school? I know we have image problems, one that's being rectified. But foolishly looking down on Nigerians won't solve your problems either, and you have a lot more problems than us.

I'm not sad, I'm just about the jolliest person in the world, Alhamdulillah. As to hygiene, I don't think a Somali should be speaking about hygiene. Btw, has God favoured you since you're so hygienic? Smh

Alhamdulilaah! Yes he has! At our poorest, during famine and war we bathed everyday. While without all those struggles Nigerians even when rich! Stink! Fact. The fact you're a Muslim has humbled me and i will reply no more because i have better things to read and comment on. Even Muslim Nigerians stink when Islam promotes the highest order of cleanness. I'm not insulting I'm talking from experience because here in London you'll have a large community.

Last question, so your huge nose doesn't smell your own BO? What a waste of an organ!
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

First of all, Nigerian is not an ethnicity dumbo, it's a nationality. Secondly, Ghanaians are about the well... I'd rather not speak.

Again, I don't think a Somali should be speaking about chapped lips.

Then hold your fvcking tongue and don't speak. Who spoke ethnicity? Can you even read? Typing is pointless if one has comprehension difficulty. You are finally dismissed. Now go have a bath and make wadu it helps with the BO. I laugh in xamari! grin grin grin
Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 19, 2016
nubian999:

Then hold your fvcking tongue and don't speak. Who spoke ethnicity? Can you even read? Typing is pointless if one has comprehension difficulty. You are finally dismissed. Now go have a bath and make wadu it helps with the BO. I laugh in xamari! grin grin grin

When you say ghanains are better looking than Nigerians, you're assuming all Ghanaians or Nigerians look alike which is not so. just like i have met some decent looking somalis and some pretty grotesque ones, i don't know if it has to do with clan or something. Point is, in a country with hundreds of ethnicities, its much better not to generalize.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

When you say ghanains are better looking than Nigerians, you're assuming all Ghanaians or Nigerians look alike which is not so. just like i have met some decent looking somalis and some pretty grotesque ones, i don't know if it has to do with clan or something. Point is, in a country with hundreds of ethnicities, its much better not to generalize.

Omg! Dude. Fvck off now. I'm done going around in circles with a smelly simpleton. angry we are done with this dead issue. I was wrong to have quoted an educated illiterate like you.

(1) (2)

Ladoja Faults The Position Of Some Ibadan Chiefs On Olubadan Stool / The Idea Of A Strong Black Woman / Having Visitors Without Prior Notice: Your View

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.