Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student (53799 Views)

FIDEI Polytechnic Gboko Protest, Police Accused Of Killing 2 Students (Pics) / Snake Bite Kills Student Of IMT, Enugu / No Student Was Killed During Uniport Protest - Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by intrepid: 5:11pm On Apr 11, 2016
braimeddy:
Is there any evidence that he was shot by the police? It's very possible that his rival used this opportunity to knock him down. And moreover I don't think policemen are foolish enough to use real bullets for students who protesting peacefully. Even though it was the police that actually killed him, more that 1 student would be dead. My observation is that his killing is a set up by his rivals

Whats your take on police shooting at PRAYING PROTESTERS?
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by lordthree(m): 5:12pm On Apr 11, 2016
adenine02:

pls wat is d cus of d protest??
Students were given a deadline to pay their fees or they wouldn't be allowed to write exams for the semester.

They were meant to have exams today but instead they protested
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by TIDDOLL(m): 5:13pm On Apr 11, 2016
Sentiments apart,I just wonder why someone would blame president buhari for a police force that has been in existence before his appointment as president.....lets face the truth and shun bigotry...have been in school protests and I know the kind of so called Aluta spirit that consumes students, but nevertheless police shouldn't be armed with live bullets....Its an unfortunate situation. ND the shooter should and must be prosecuted.

5 Likes

Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by AmuDimpka: 5:14pm On Apr 11, 2016
M otherland ...I am on hailings......

These guys no dey tire sefff?
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by adenine02: 5:15pm On Apr 11, 2016
lordthree:

Students were given a deadline to pay their fees or they wouldn't be allowed to write exams for the semester.

They were meant to have exams today but instead they protested

sry pls did d school authority brought d police?
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by Toks2008(m): 5:15pm On Apr 11, 2016
Ibifizzleboy:
Comrade Peter my friend and brother that we have handed over the mantle of leadership to, in the Faculty of Management Sciences. RIP but know that the struggle continues and those that perpetrated this would not go unpunished.

The Dept of Accounting mourns U.

I.B

I will never support the police for this crazy act and we all must stand to ensure justice is done.

However,i will urge students to always seek an alternate means of negotiation to avoid ugly situations such as this...we all now how the NPF is....they may come out to apologize that it was an error or that the students first shot at them.

Its time the Nigerian government replaced real bullets with rubber ones.
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by joshuaidibia(m): 5:16pm On Apr 11, 2016
papaejima1:

https://m.facebook.com/oyinemi.endeley/posts/10205734174986625
guy no dey form Marthin Luther King Jnr. Go ya papa house. God 4bid,thursday might be u laying dead.
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by NigerianScholar: 5:17pm On Apr 11, 2016
akp202:
U see d implication of voting for a dullard as a president?

Its like you have a phd in ignorance.
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by Stanleywaxy(m): 5:17pm On Apr 11, 2016
embarassed And after so many years of being a jambite he couldn't even finish . And this issue was discussed on WAZOBIA fm today ... RIP Man!
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by XaintJoel20: 5:18pm On Apr 11, 2016
braimeddy:
Is there any evidence that he was shot by the police? It's very possible that his rival used this opportunity to knock him down. And moreover I don't think policemen are foolish enough to use real bullets for students who protesting peacefully. Even though it was the police that actually killed him, more that 1 student would be dead. My observation is that his killing is a set up by his rivals
When was the last time you visited Nigeria. I know so well a Nigerian resident in Nigeria will not spill this gibberish...
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by TRAY2(m): 5:19pm On Apr 11, 2016
Just watch and see they will deny shooting @ the protesting students,they will rather say it will be investigated and that will be the end of the story.I weep for my country
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by Princewell2012(m): 5:20pm On Apr 11, 2016
braimeddy:
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by freecocoa(f): 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2016
adenine02:

sry pls did d school authority brought d police?
What sort of question is this biko? What does it matter who brought the police? The issue is that someone is dead.
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by Freelancer2015(m): 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2016
Nigeria!
There is no law in this country.
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by XaintJoel20: 5:23pm On Apr 11, 2016
Where in the world do police used life ammunition to quell protest in the 21st century. Water cannon, teargas canister and rubber bullets are the best options.
Nigeria is just too backward...
Nigeri is now a country where life is no longer sacred...
#IWeepForNigeria..

2 Likes

Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by kechywillz(m): 5:27pm On Apr 11, 2016
Thank God i didnt go thia 2day,why will police always shoot unarmed students who are protesting or is it a crime to protest? This country has a big mighty problem.
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by Ada9103(f): 5:28pm On Apr 11, 2016
K
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by drnelson: 5:28pm On Apr 11, 2016
igbo ppl should relax...biafra will never happen...get back to work.
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by Squares: 5:30pm On Apr 11, 2016
I don't know why some fools refers to this "great" nation as zoo. if you see a zoo then you are a caged animal.
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by mekonglobal(m): 5:31pm On Apr 11, 2016
embarassed Its not first neither is it going to be the last...infact this should be a wake up call to all students union in Nigeria...there must be a legislation that prevail on our arm forces neva to engage on protesting with guns that have live amunitions...enough is enough..#OperationoccupyNass
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by foriz4u(m): 5:33pm On Apr 11, 2016
what a shameful police force we...infact shameful country (Nigeria) we hail from

RIP bro
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by wickedworld: 5:33pm On Apr 11, 2016
This is very bad, somebody son chai.
So student can not protest again without bloodshed by this untrain police. Do they check level of police anger before they give them gun.

It is right time will protect police should stop carrying gun except they are going to armrobbing scene.

Why should they shoot when u don't point gun at them ?
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by zubby55(m): 5:33pm On Apr 11, 2016
braimeddy:
I knw u have a refurbished brain I wish what happened to Peter to be your portion in Jesus name ...Amen
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by abbacar: 5:33pm On Apr 11, 2016
.if this doesnot cause a revolution in nigeria... we are all a bunch of toothless dogs... who sure dont deserve even the little human right we get from our masters THE GOVERNMENT..
its painfull our cowardice has made us see a 'good side' (d selfish side) to every fùcked up situation.. alot of us are seeing this from the point of view 'oh thank god its not my brother or thankgod its not my state.' imagine d pain of this guys family.. imagine the guys dreams cut short all because he protested for his right... his right for education... his right to oppose those sick men who were trained by the government free of charge but inturn make education unbearable for the teaming youth.. coupled with the complete iresponsibility of our government towards the plight of the youths...
our fathers generation has failed us.... this young mans death is a death of our collective dreams and aspiration .. a death of our future at the hands of leaders.... lets not look at the selfish side of the story... that is not the good side.. thats the cowards way out.
its time for revolution..... some one must be held responsible

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by Nusaf: 5:34pm On Apr 11, 2016
ahaika23:
KAi, I miss GEJ. Even with all the protests during his tenure you won't hear of even a scratch on civilians!
Very true. Infact no single life was lost throughout the 6 yrs of GEJ administration even by road accident.

1 Like

Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by kdfemi(m): 5:35pm On Apr 11, 2016
Suigeneris93:

so who's to blame?
Unilag don't go on street to protest all we do is lock our school gate and protest from the school gate to appropriate areas
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by akp202(m): 5:37pm On Apr 11, 2016
NigerianScholar:

Well am not surprise.. ..i was just informed now that u re an emeritus of benightedness
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by CopyLearner: 5:38pm On Apr 11, 2016
calculator123:
partly the students,i am surr they weren't peaceful abt the ptotest
of course they weren't peaceful but the police actually walked up to him and. Shot him point blank according to eye witnesses
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by noeloge82(m): 5:38pm On Apr 11, 2016
124mumsy:
my bro there are some fools you don't voment on what they type because of their inexperience and stupidity

Bro I understand u just that sometime many people don't understand , if many stundents will understand then u just need to always be at alert and 4/5 yrs will not bring u down,
Any student who survived 042 from 1999 - 2005 will understand
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by akp202(m): 5:38pm On Apr 11, 2016
NigerianScholar:

Well am not surprise.. ..i was just informed now that u re an emeritus of benightedness
Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 11, 2016
Matters arising..

1.As several people have mentioned upthread....the Nigerian Police,SPECIFICALLY MOPOL , does not have non-lethal means of quelling riots. Things like pepper spray, water cannon, rubber bullets, pellet guns, even tasers.....could work.

2.Having said that....the students are not blameless. They were busy destroying and looting properties, and some were (Unconfirmed) armed. Student protests should not be an occasion for destroying the properties of innocent people.

Infact....I wonder how the looting of a goods truck....which happened during the protest....would help fees come down.

3.It is going to cost at least N1.5 trillion to N3 trillion yearly to fund universities adequately in Nigeria...assuming N150000 is spent per student. This year's budget is N8trillion.

It should also be pointed out that the previous government made fee increases inevitable when they told ASUU in 2013 that there wasn't enough money to fund the N3trillion extra ASUU won in 2009. Instead one trillion was offered over the next five years. ASUU took the deal...because at the time Nigerians were tired of the strike they were on, and they knew that the government was telling the truth.

Since then, only 200BN naira out of the one trillion was paid. The rest.....has not been paid. Now...oil prices have fallen.

It is my conclusion, thus, that while the loss of life is regrettable....there is nothing that the students can do but accept fee increases. Unless someone is going to take N3 trillion from this year's budget of N8trillion and dash universities ONLY...when we have primary and secondary schools that are poorly funded...and when there are other sectors that need funding. Yes....our parents went to school free...but back when my parents graduated.....the number of university students in the whole of Nigeria was between 70000-90000.Now it is 2million. And we no longer have the money....even when oil was at 112 dollars per barrel.

I think also that the Police needs a total reorientation. It was conceived as a force to protect colonial interests....not to protect the interests of Nigerians...and sadly, decades of independence has not changed that orientation...that us vs them issue. It also is not equipped to quell riots.(The only good thing about this riot is that one died...back in the 1970's and 80's it used to be up to 20 dead. ABU 1986 comes to mind).Funding and retraining is needed. Perhaps our research institutes could join hands with DICON and manufacture non-lethal weapons for the Police.

1 Like

Re: Uniport Protest: Police Kills Student by xreal: 5:41pm On Apr 11, 2016
If I had the power, I would send all those police men to Sambisa, and repost all those Soldiers presently in Bornu back to PH.
Believe me, everything in PH will become peaceful without any killings.

Meanwhile, all the police in Sambisa go die finish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See What The School In David Mark Home Town Looks Like / Easy Ways To Identify Intelligent People / Why Does A Dead Body Float In Water, While A Live Body Sinks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.