Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations (30847 Views)

Abbreviations Many Use On Daily Basis Without Knowing The Full Meaning / Important Abbreviations You Might Not Know / Meanings Of These Filling Station Abbreviations: PMS, AGO, DPK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by FirstCounsel(m): 6:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
Ask4Info:
I have no regret saying I have tossed several hundreds if not thousands of CVs into the trash can because of this same act.

If you want to reduce the number of applicants applying for a vancant job. Just insist it should be send alongside a cover letter (hand written or typed) and you just have to sit, relax and watch graduates goof away.

Once someone starts a chat, text or email using short text, I discard them immediately.

SOME SHORT TEXT THAT CAN MAKE SOME THROW UP:

Jux - because
Yels - yes
Tho - Though
Tof - Tough
Con3- country amongst many other silly ones.
You're just like me. I don't have the patience for any silly abbreviations. I take it as a sign of unseriousness

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by otiigba1(m): 7:01pm On Apr 12, 2016
I do not take any letter written in abreviation serious, i see the writer as dumb disrespectfull, unneducated and a slowpoke, the ones i hate the most is when chating with some goons esspecially females, here is me chatting in clean and clear writing and all i see from the females i am trying hard to impress is Rubbish like, tho, kk, am kool, ur, plz, lolz. And i am thinking this Goons do not deserve my attention.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Jaysey(f): 7:01pm On Apr 12, 2016
There is this guy I chat with on facebook who always abbrevaite words while I do the opposite, I did'nt like it but I wanted him to stop till the day he asked me why I don't abbreviate, my answer made him stop. Finally abbrevaiting words is a bleeped up thing to do.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by blackb2(m): 7:05pm On Apr 12, 2016
Sunnycliff:

I can't epp bt laf! Ar u

You must be joking with failure (if you're still in school) or joblessness if you're unemployed.

Selah.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by DJEhimond(m): 7:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
And I even type faster than those who do this to type faster.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Goahead(m): 7:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
It's actually not abbreviations but some silly gibberish alternatives.... The addiction has really eaten deep into our system.

Between, what do you expect from a group of people that cannot maintain a common queue?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Teespice(f): 7:12pm On Apr 12, 2016
very bad and irritating.
costs nothing to type in full.
nice piece @ op.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Babayoutoomuch(f): 7:13pm On Apr 12, 2016
The one that got me crazy was 10k for "Thank".
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by tivta(m): 7:18pm On Apr 12, 2016
Surfboard:
It is common among the youth of today to type in abbreviations. On all form of social media and online fora, down to applications for chatting, we are getting further immersed in this 21st century phenomenon. What are its gains? I don't see any. Disadvantages? I'll list a few.

1. It affects our spelling. At the beginning, you think you have it under control, in fact you do. However, like all bad habits, it creeps up on you and before you know it, you can't spell as well as you used to. You then spell a word like 'enough' as 'enuf' and think it's right.

2. You get so used to abbreviating, you start to include in official correspondence. This goes from students in examinations to young job seekers in their applications. Heck, adults are not left out as some make these mistakes in business proposals. What this means in society is a situation like we have now where employers of labour are lamenting that Nigerian graduates are unemployable.

3. We may be setting a wrong trend for the next generation. It's all good, in fact, brilliant to be technologically savvy and all, but it shouldn't end there. We should teach those coming after us why they need to use technology the right way. One of the things they should be taught is how to spell. If we do, we'd be raising a generation positioned to make a positive impact in society. Our parents endeavoured that we be taught how to spell, so please let's help the younger generation achieve that too.

Feel free to add yours also. Thanks

Tell them, especially the noodles generation, the only places where writing in abbreviation should be allowed is in text messages and twitter...
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by IRserveMyComent(f): 7:21pm On Apr 12, 2016
One of the reasons people have continued using abbreviations especially in text messages is its ability 2shorten space consumption,thereby reducing the amount the text would have cost. But it is a malady that should really be curbed. *see as i type in full text as if am innocent of this ill, am guilty too*
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Lovexme(m): 7:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

To me it's retarded.
Exactly!
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by HaneefahRN(f): 7:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
;DWarefa.

I'm guilty anyway. Seriously, I don't see any big deal in abbreviating some words while chatting with a friend or just something informal. Words like 'You', for 'U', yes as 'yh' , though as 'tho', between as 'btw' and some other ones except 'Ok' as 'K' that irritates me. As long as the person you are chatting with can easily decode such abbreviations and you take care not to get so used to it enough to use in formal settings or an exam.
Some people can be very annoying with it though , you wouldn't even be able to make sense of the message.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
It has made me hate some letters of the alphabet, letters like y,g,q i can't stand them again.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by ybalogs(m): 7:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
Abeg leave trash for lawma jooor. Guys and especially we ladies will never change.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by ybalogs(m): 7:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
Who abbreviate pass? Guys or ladies?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by stephnkem22: 7:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
noted
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by gbaskiboy: 7:41pm On Apr 12, 2016
WarRLaY:

You or u ?
grin
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by cezarman(m): 7:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
Olukologia:
Nice write up. My girlfriend neva let me rest wit "tho" and others. Pls help me tell dem o.
oga,e be like say your worse oh!
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Halib(m): 7:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
tor..I reserve ma comment...
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by bamdexfarms(m): 8:00pm On Apr 12, 2016
the most irritating is the use of 'am' instead of 'I'm'.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 12, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 12, 2016
wonlasewonimi:
If you're older than 18 and you still use textspeak such as 'scul' and 'enuf', you need to get your head checked.
itz nt 'scul'.....itz 'skul' cheesy
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by GeniusDavid(m): 8:15pm On Apr 12, 2016
Nigerian ladies should take note!
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Jidibia(m): 8:15pm On Apr 12, 2016
makingsense:
U try oo
You are a stubborn student. Did you not hear your teacher telling you to stop abbreviating? If
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Gordieshegz(m): 8:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
Dynamite02:
Back then there was short hand in secondary school curriculum ,don't know about now.
A smart intelligent person knows when to use what and when not to use w@. If you can't pull it off perfectly then abide by the op's advice
Once upon a time "thou" meant "you" and "art" was "are"

Sir, your resolve and the instance of "thou" for "you" and "art" for "are" sounded great so to say..
These former spellings were generally accepted before they changed to the forms we are having today..
My question is can you be chatting with say a British using words like "u" for "you", "d" for the and expects to make sense out of it?
Yahoo boys can tell better in that wise...
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by DrMuzungu(m): 8:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
Writing in abbreviations, or "lazy" English is not only a deadly sin but also demonic. Even St. Peter said "Thou should not write SMS in abreviations"
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by doskie(m): 8:54pm On Apr 12, 2016
Olukologia:
Nice write up. My girlfriend neva let me rest wit "tho" and others. Pls help me tell dem o.
you too.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by yvonneG: 8:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
modath:

Wht do u xpct m 2 say abt dis ur aticul now? smiley

Hahahahhahahahahahaahahahhaahaha funny u grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Osemond123(m): 9:16pm On Apr 12, 2016
OP nice one, hope some guys will learn from this.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by olsmade(m): 9:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
eitsei:
Many people don't know it's a bad habit they think it's faster to type that way but recently almost everyone is using Android and all these Android phones have spell checker, so why can't they make use of it?

Spellchecker or autocomplete.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Harmony92(f): 9:53pm On Apr 12, 2016
[quote author=Surfboard post=44607786]It is common among the youth of today to type in abbreviations. On all form of social media and online fora, down to applications for chatting, we are getting further immersed in this 21st century phenomenon. What are its gains? I don't see any. Disadvantages? I'll list a few.

1. It affects our spelling. At the beginning, you think you have it under control, in fact you do. However, like all bad habits, it creeps up on you and before you know it, you can't spell as well as you used to. You then spell a word like 'enough' as 'enuf' and think it's right.

2. You get so used to abbreviating, you start to include in official correspondence. This goes from students in examinations to young job seekers in their applications. Heck, adults are not left out as some make these mistakes in business proposals. What this means in society is a situation like we have now where employers of labour are lamenting that Nigerian graduates are unemployable.

3. We may be setting a wrong trend for the next generation. It's all good, in fact, brilliant to be technologically savvy and all, but it shouldn't end there. We should teach those coming after us why they need to use technology the right way. One of the things they should be taught is how to spell. If we do, we'd be raising a generation positioned to make a positive impact in society. Our parents endeavoured that we be taught how to spell, so please let's help the younger generation achieve that too.

Feel free to add yours also. Thanks. Op thanks alot for this wonderful write up... I used to belive that abbreviation was very good n necessary to d extend that i started using it in my exams until when i saw the results of the exams that i wrote with abbreviations n belive me they were nt cool.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Senorprinz(m): 10:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

Are you trying to mock me? Because last I checked, that's a correct english sentence :-)
no sire, just playing with your words?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

400-Level UNN Student, Ejim Ijeoma, Declared Missing (Video/Photos) / Faruq Gbolahan Yusuf Loses US University Scholarship Due To Lack Of Money / Which Public University Is The Best In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.