Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Revenge: Are You For Or Against? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Revenge: Are You For Or Against? (22912 Views)

The Prophets Of Baal Are Coming For Revenge!!! / Man Destroys Bible As A Revenge For Destruction Of Shrine In Anambra By A Priest / Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by freecocoa(f): 9:12am On Apr 12, 2016
I'm someone who has always thought revenge to be a 'bad' thing, believing that when someone hurts you and you also hurt the person in return, then nothing makes you different from that person, because you both are a people, that hurt someone, but is this really true? Can/should it be called hurting someone, if they deserve it?

Now, as I keep growing and dealing with people, I'm starting to think my stance on revenge is flawed.

I think I'm beginning to see revenge for what it really is, justice. We often hear, "leave it to karma" some say "leave it for/to god"(this shouldn't be an option btw) but at the end of the day, we can't really say people get what they deserve, in that, bad things happen to good people and good things to bad people and for all I know, "bad" people seem to have it better than the "good" ones in this nonsense world, so should we fold our arms and let people who wronged us feel fly, while we feel miserable?

Someone will argue that, feeling hurt is more a thing of choice than consequence, asking, how can someone hurt you, if you don't want to be? Talking about how it is our minds that hold on to things, therefore we can condition it to let go or not, but is this really true? Do we have absolute control of what we feel? I think not.

Now if someone hurt me and I'm really feeling it, why shouldn't I validate this feeling by seeking revenge? I mean, don't we have a right to want to feel better? Does revenge make one feel better?

what's your take? Should we seek revenge or not? Lets discuss.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by johnydon22(m): 9:17am On Apr 12, 2016
If we all practised an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth the whole world would go blind or become toothless.

For a continuous existence of ourselves and humanity we must do away we the whole notion of retaliation and revenge..

My opinion

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by taiwoadams77(m): 9:26am On Apr 12, 2016
johnydon22:
If we all practised an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth the whole world would go blind or become toothless.

For a continuous existence of ourselves and humanity we must do away we the whole notion of retaliation and revenge..

My opinion

if we should say we all want to do away wit it den d bad pple will always get away wif it. i tink it nt all tinz dat happens to u dat u av to retaliate buh dey ar some dat u've getta to revenge so for it nt to repeat it self again

12 Likes

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by johnydon22(m): 9:30am On Apr 12, 2016
taiwoadams77:

if we should say we all want to do away wit it den d bad pple will always get away wif it. i tink it nt all tinz dat happens to u dat u av to retaliate buh dey ar some dat u've getta to revenge so for it nt to repeat it self again

I understand this position well but retaliation does not that such scenario doesn't repeat itself anymore than not retaliating.

Retaliation won't wipe away or automatically heal the hurt we feel from the action meted towards us but can only leave us bitter and that actually compounds our problem and not solve it.

4 Likes

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by freecocoa(f): 9:37am On Apr 12, 2016
johnydon22:

My opinion
It's more like it would leave half the world blind and toothless, the people seeking revenge are the half left out, the ones getting the revenge are the ones going to be blind and toothless, I think that's quite balanced.grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by johnydon22(m): 9:41am On Apr 12, 2016
freecocoa:
It's more like it would leave half the world blind and toothless, the people seeking revenge are the half left out, the ones getting the revenge are the ones going to be blind and toothless, I think that's quite balanced.grin

For you to seek revenge there must have been an ill action meted against you... So if one of your eyes was knocked off and you knocked the others eyes in revenge ..

Both you carried out the revenge and the person it was against now have less than two eyes.

So if we reconcile this with the world then the whole world would go blind not half since not only the person receiving the revenge gets hurt.

3 Likes

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by freecocoa(f): 9:52am On Apr 12, 2016
johnydon22:

For you to seek revenge there must have been an ill action meted against you... So if one of your eyes was knocked off and you knocked the others eyes in revenge ..

Both you carried out the revenge and the person it was against now have less than two eyes.

So if we reconcile this with the world then the whole world would go blind not half since not only the person receiving the revenge gets hurt.
So what do we do then? We just let people get away with stuff? Where's the justice then?
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by johnydon22(m): 11:30am On Apr 12, 2016
freecocoa:
So what do we do then? We just let people get away with stuff? Where's the justice then?

We all have one or two wrong action we commit against each other..

We have either to give mercy or Justice, Mercy and Justice never goes together.

Once there is justice there is no mercy and once there is mercy, there is no justice...

while Justice can dress a wound, Mercy can heal it...

Retaliation would leave the whole world wounded, i go for mercy rather ..

except for a situation of continuous assault then self defence is necessary for survival

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by ifenes(m): 11:54am On Apr 12, 2016
Revenge is for little boys, real men leave it to Karma. We go in circles, everyone will definitely catch up with good and bad deeds. The farmer can only reap what he sows.

Some people are however impatient and end up taking revenge, which in most cases is only 1% of what Karma dishes out.

Revenge is a quick fix and has a short term effect and satisfaction. Karma( forgiveness/mercy) is long term pain and alway paid in full. Choose mercy, because it is the better form of punishment.

11 Likes

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by freecocoa(f): 12:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
johnydon22:

We all have one or two wrong action we commit against each other..

We have either to give mercy or Justice, Mercy and Justice never goes together.

Once there is justice there is no mercy and once there is mercy, there is no justice...

while Justice can dress a wound, Mercy can heal it...

Retaliation would leave the whole world wounded, i go for mercy rather ..

except for a situation of continuous assault then self defence is necessary for survival
of course, one can't seek revenge for every little wrong done, perhaps I should've mentioned it in the OP.

You advocate revenge only in a situation of continuous assault, what if what the person is doing isn't assault, do you seek revenge, since it's continuous?
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2016
ifenes:
Revenge is for little boys, real men leave it to Karma. We go in circles, everyone will definitely catch up with good and bad deeds. The farmer can only reap what he sows.

Some people are however impatient and end up taking revenge, which in most cases is only 1% of what Karma dishes out.

Revenge is a quick fix and has a short term effect and satisfaction. Karma( forgiveness/mercy) is long term pain and alway paid in full. Choose mercy, because it is the better form of punishment.

There is no such thing as Karma. The acceptance and reliance on the existence of Karma, is a distorted belief system.

8 Likes

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by Logicbwoy: 12:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
johnydon22:

My opinion

The lust for revenge can leave one full of hatred. But hatred is an emotion and we humans cant and shouldn't suppress our emotions all the time.

If someone killed your family member would you not feel like taking some revenge on the killer?

I have realised that many people actually take the moral high road on nairaland when it is easy. But in real life, they take the less moral road.

It is easy to be all moral online and say "no" to revenge but I tell you, revenge is a lust and it can be so sweet when you actually get your target.

6 Likes

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by freecocoa(f): 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
Ifeness, how do you know there's such a thing as karma if many people have and are still getting away with doing evil?
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by ifenes(m): 1:16pm On Apr 12, 2016
Decker:

There is no such things as Karma. The acceptance and reliance on the existence of Karma, is a distorted belief system.

OK.
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by ifenes(m): 1:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
freecocoa:
Ifeness, how do you know there's such a thing as karma if many people have and are still getting away with doing evil?

Karma is only an Hindu word which also mean Nemesis or pay back . Some people seem to take long time to get a returned favor or never at all in one form of reality. You hear "99 days for lies and one day for the Truth" Eventually everything recycles.

How do I know it exists? It's happening every seconds. Is that not why people created a god to help them escape self imposed sufferings?
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by CoolUsername: 1:39pm On Apr 12, 2016
Logicbwoy:

The lust for revenge can leave one full of hatred. But hatred is an emotion and we humans cant and shouldn't suppress our emotions all the time.

If someone killed your family member would you not feel like taking some revenge on the killer?

I have realised that many people actually take the moral high road on nairaland when it is easy. But in real life, they take the less moral road.

It is easy to be all moral online and say "no" to revenge but I tell you, revenge is a lust and it can be so sweet when you actually get your target.

True, but that's why we have laws in place. Very rarely would you see a black and white situation, the world operates in varying shades of grey morality.

We all view ourselves as the protagonist of the story. Hence, in a lot of cases you'll find that everyone genuinely thinks that he or she is in the right. Also, unbiased observation would reveal that most of the time, nobody is really a saint in conflict situations.

So if everyone starts taking laws into their own hands, society would fall apart.

5 Likes

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by itstpia8: 1:45pm On Apr 12, 2016
freecocoa:
I'm someone who has always thought revenge to be a 'bad' thing, believing that when someone hurts you and you also hurt the person in return, then nothing makes you different from that person, because you both are a people, that hurt someone, but is this really true? Can/should it be called hurting someone, if they deserve it?

Now, as I keep growing and dealing with people, I'm starting to think my stance on revenge is flawed.

I think I'm beginning to see revenge for what it really is, justice. We often hear, "leave it to karma" some say "leave it for/to god"(this shouldn't be an option btw) but at the end of the day, we can't really say people get what they deserve, in that, bad things happen to good people and good things to bad people and for all I know, "bad" people seem to have it better than the "good" ones in this nonsense world, so should we fold our arms and let people who wronged us feel fly, while we feel miserable?

Someone will argue that, feeling hurt is more a thing of choice than consequence, asking, how can someone hurt you, if you don't want to be? Talking about how it is our minds that hold on to things, therefore we can condition it to let go or not, but is this really true? Do we have absolute control of what we feel? I think not.

Now if someone hurt me and I'm really feeling it, why shouldn't I validate this feeling by seeking revenge? I mean, don't we have a right to want to feel better? Does revenge make one feel better?

what's your take? Should we seek revenge or not? Lets discuss.

Lalasticlala do the needful.

do you have any other thing that needs doing besides opening threads such as these.

females and majoring in irrelevancies sha.

As you have your revenge, your revenge also has you, is this difficult to grasp?

1 Like

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by freecocoa(f): 1:49pm On Apr 12, 2016
ifenes:

Karma is only an Hindu word which also mean Nemesis or pay back . Some people seem to take long time to get a returned favor or never at all in one form of reality. You hear "99 days for lies and one day for the Truth" Eventually everything recycles.

How do I know it exists? It's happening every seconds. Is that not why people created a god to help them escape self imposed sufferings?
The truth doesn't come out always.

I can't say the need for god was just to escape self imposed suffering cos as far as we know, people who don't believe in god also suffer. You can't say it's happening very second if bad people get away with stuff, your statement would hold true, if only everyone gets their due.

1 Like

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by finofaya: 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2016
I think revenge is in order because of the deterrent purpose it serves. I don't think it's enough to let people be guided solely by their conscience since most people are not as selfless as they like to imagine. We are human and prone to error so we need all the help we can get and the threat of punishment for wrongdoing is part of the help we need. Of course you have to pursue your revenge legally. Revenge is simply a practical reality.
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by ifenes(m): 2:07pm On Apr 12, 2016
freecocoa:
The truth doesn't come out always.

I can't say the need for god was just to escape self imposed suffering cos as far as we know, people who don't believe in god also suffer. You can't say it's happening very second if bad people get away with stuff, your statement would hold true, if only everyone gets their due.

I don't think there are bad people. Maybe someone affecting other people negatively with his/her actions due to being morally inferior/ignorant or mistakes. We must also remember negative events could serve as a positive changes we need. The African slave trade was bad but lots of good came out from it as well as some negative. The urge to see ignorant people get punished immediately may be the reason you think non-violence or karma isn't real.
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by freecocoa(f): 2:19pm On Apr 12, 2016
ifenes:

I don't think there are bad people. Maybe someone affecting other people negatively with his/her actions due to being morally inferior/ignorant or mistakes. We must also remember negative events could serve as a positive changes we need. The African slave trade was bad but lots of good came out from it as well as some negative. The urge to see ignorant people get punished immediately may be the reason you think non-violence or karma isn't real.

I don't quite follow when you say you don't think there are bad people.

Of course bad can be subjective, but some people are always deliberately seeking ways to hurt other people, this is what I mean when I say "bad people".

In this regard, revenge is more about letting someone who thinks they can get away with whatever they do, know they can't than it is about ignorance. What exactly is this person ignorant of? That his actions will affect others negatively?

What good came from slavery, that couldn't have come without it?
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by itstpia8: 2:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
finofaya:
I think revenge is in order because of the deterrent purpose it serves. I don't think it's enough to let people be guided solely by their conscience since most people are not as selfless as they like to imagine. We are human and prone to error so we need all the help we can get and the threat of punishment for wrongdoing is part of the help we need. Of course you have to pursue your revenge legally. Revenge is simply a practical reality.

Revenge is not practical, and quite frequently is not really about any perceived "offence" but more about greed or envy.

When a genuine crime has been committed, that's a different scenario. Say someone does a crime that breaks a law, you can either seek legal redress after identifying the exact law/s broken, or take matters into your own hands, in which case, same revenge scenario will apply to you. If you have no case, then God help you.
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by finofaya: 4:08pm On Apr 12, 2016
itstpia8:

Revenge is not practical, and quite frequently is not really about any perceived "offence" but more about greed or envy.

When a genuine crime has been committed, that's a different scenario. Say someone does a crime that breaks a law, you can either seek legal redress after identifying the exact law/s broken, or take matters into your own hands, in which case, same revenge scenario will apply to you. If you have no case, then God help you.

I think it is a good way to keep people in check. I see what you mean about greed and envy though. It's a shame that it happens but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't think retribution should be reserved for criminals alone.
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by itstpia8: 4:23pm On Apr 12, 2016
all this stuff is just used to derail people's destiny, that's all.

You use it to prevent others from prospering or reaching a certain level.

As for keeping people in check, how so?

Jail or what?

I doubt there's much evidence revenge makes for social order. There isnt even evidence it is a deterrent.
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by finofaya: 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
Anything that happens to you is part of your destiny.

You use revenge to get even. To repay a wrong and quiet your emotions. As much as possible anyway.

I say keeping people in check because it's one of the things people will consider if they are about to act against your interest. Knowing that you they won't be able to enjoy the benefits of their act in peace will disincentivize them.

Yes, jail is inclusive. I'm taking revenge to also include punishment for crimes.

Now that you say revenge is not a deterrent I think we have to agree on what we mean when we say revenge.

1 Like

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by ifenes(m): 9:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
freecocoa:
I don't quite follow when you say you don't think there are bad people.

Of course bad can be subjective, but some people are always deliberately seeking ways to hurt other people, this is what I mean when I say "bad people".

In this regard, revenge is more about letting someone who thinks they can get away with whatever they do, know they can't than it is about ignorance. What exactly is this person ignorant of? That his actions will affect others negatively?

What good came from slavery, that couldn't have come without it?

Bad people are mostly ignorant of their actions or how it affects others. I thought the topic was about Revenge vs Karma. Taking someone to court is not really about revenge. That's getting physical justice, which often time don't lead to satisfaction. That's a different thing. Revenge is deliberately hurting someone back for a percieved wrong doing. In most cases,taking law into your hands,example, to hurt a thief who stole from you or a blackmail to hurt others. A lady burning the car of her partner because of being cheated on etc.

As we advance mental abilities, revenge becomes unnecessary. It is not often in anyone's best interest to get revenge. Just move on.

1 Like

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by johnydon22(m): 9:16pm On Apr 12, 2016
Logicbwoy:

This is just my life both ON and offline, i am do not stand for retaliation both On NL and in real life.

Just as i am also against "Death sentence"

Killing the person who killed your family won't bring them back neither will it make you feel any better.

We all have different ideologies ... so this is just mine

1 Like

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by itstpia8: 9:17pm On Apr 12, 2016
finofaya:
Anything that happens to you is part of your destiny.

You use revenge to get even. To repay a wrong and quiet your emotions. As much as possible anyway.

I say keeping people in check because it's one of the things people will consider if they are about to act against your interest. Knowing that you they won't be able to enjoy the benefits of their act in peace will disincentivize them.

Yes, jail is inclusive. I'm taking revenge to also include punishment for crimes.

Now that you say revenge is not a deterrent I think we have to agree on what we mean when we say revenge.

revenge means to get even, as per the op.

more often than not, revenge is fueled by a real or imagined slight or offence, it can be very subjective hence the grey areas involved.

You might or might not be confusing revenge with justice, which is what the legal system is supposed to stand for.

Taking matters into your own hands in the name of revenge (whether real or imaginary), will still leave you liable to legal retribution.
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by johnydon22(m): 9:18pm On Apr 12, 2016
freecocoa:
of course, one can't seek revenge for every little wrong done, perhaps I should've mentioned it in the OP.

You advocate revenge only in a situation of continuous assault, what if what the person is doing isn't assault, do you seek revenge, since it's continuous?

Not necessarily "Revenge" in the case of continuous assault but Self defence rather..

Fighting back to ensure your own survival
Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 12, 2016
am a proponent of Revenge.

it makes me feel cool,and light headed,since the person wont feel am a weakling,or sort.

i really love Psquare track of "do me,i do you.

i go extra miles to get my pound of flesh when hurt,so the person can feel my pains too.

4 Likes

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by itstpia8: 9:26pm On Apr 12, 2016
Yomieluv:
am a proponent of Revenge.

it makes me feel cool,and light headed,since the person wont feel am a weakling,or sort.

i really love Psquare track of "do me,i do you.

i go extra miles to get my pound of flesh when hurt,so the person can feel my pains too.

this track?

Oh, e get as you dey do me, do me, do me
Na the way you dey do me
Girl, I love the way you do me
Do me [x6]
Boy, I love the way you do me
Do me [x6]
Na the way you dey do me, do me
You go wound oh, you go wound oh, my baby
Na the way you dey do me, do me
You go wound oh, you go wound oh
So na she step into the club house
See how the boys dem a drop down
And all the ladies just dey hala say
Them no know say wahala dey
If you no sodji, take am easy, make you no dey fall
This na the song for the dancehall
The way you move your body, ebe like say
(ebe like say) you no know say wahala dey
Na the way you do the things you do
Ebe like say you get plans for me and you
If I put it on you, you put it on me
What a man can do, a woman can do

https://play.google.com/music/preview/Twka62medb2h52ljsjaldnrbtxi?lyrics=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=lyrics&pcampaignid=kp-lyrics

The problem is, you dont stop until you are unable to continue.

1 Like

Re: Revenge: Are You For Or Against? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 12, 2016
Revenge is something that makes you feel better and worse at the same time,you know that feeling of "yea!that was how i felt too,am glad u know its hurt ntoooo!",and dah awkward feeling of"hope i didnt overdo mine,hope he/she isnt soo hurt"and all....I once loved revenge bt nw i am indiffrent about it...i let things happen the way nature wants it,if you hurt me delibrately,someone somewhere someday will do worse to you....that's for sure!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N2000 Handshake: Pastor Tony Boateng Asks Nigerians To Pay To Shake Him / Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) / HITTING Your Foot Against A Stone As A Christian. Meaning?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.