Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,546 members, 7,809,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) (5092 Views)

DESPITE ALL ODDS (it's All About Politics) / An Interesting Story - The Painful Pleasure (tpp) -episode 1 / The Devil's Proposal (A Short, Educative & Interesting Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 10:15pm On Apr 14, 2016
Well i am still amateur in the act of writing. This is just my first piece. Please kindly point out my mistakes for correction. Thank you.

Written By : Iyoha Samson ( 08166277765)
Title: Despite All Odds

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 10:18pm On Apr 14, 2016
EPISODE 1.

One Sunday afternoon, on my way back from church, some streets away from my street , with my bible clutched tight to my chest, walking home very fast as a result of the intensity of the sun which was very high coupled with the odd scenario where a lady was reported raped, I heard a masculine voice from behind calling my name Juliet, Juliet, which I decided not to answer.

In no time, I tried to increase my pace despite the fact that I didn't take a glance at the one calling me. I worked pretty fast as fast as my legs could carry me. But yet, the voice kept calling my name continuously while running after me.

"But why? Why are you running when you have not bother to take a look at the one calling your name? Why are you so scared when you have Jesus as your saviour? My inner mind challenged me with that questions I stopped and and looked back, I was astonished to behold the fair handsome guy with sweat formed on his forehead pounding heavily before me.

I couldn't just believe my eyes. It was Gbenga, my childhood friend whom I not seen for the past four years.

"Oh my God! So, you are the one?" I asked in an excited tone.

"Yea, it's me. But why were you trying to run away even when you haven't known who was calling you? He asked searching my eyes in apparent confusion.

"I'm very sorry for that. It was due to the case that was reported last week and I can't afford to be a victim.

"I thought as much. Though, prevention is better than cure, but you should have taken your time to know who was calling you first before picking the race. I understand you anyway." He stylishly protested.

"Hmmmmm! You are right. I have noted it. Thanks for that. But what did you understand?" I asked just to get convinced with his words.

He looked at me passionately and smiled as if what I asked him was so special.

"Those that are not as charming as you are getting raped... It will be very wired of you if you didn't. You need it dear. Your beauty is unquantifiable. You were specially created by God. Everything about you is just perfect..."

He kept on using these flattering words while I kept on blushing before I later stopped him.

"Shhhhhhhhh! Hunhun! Gbenga, stop it joor" I quickly used my left hand to draw him very close to me while my the second finger of my right hand was used to cross his lips. You shouldn't utter anything again ooo unless I ask" His face was full of smile and nodded in affirmation.

"Now, tell me, where have you been?

"I'm very sorry for not informing you that I was leaving for abuja the month after the conclusion of our waec exams. I never thought of travelling, until that very day I left. It was just an impromptu, and on getting there, I lost my cell phone together with my contacts. Even before I travelled, when I couldn't locate you, I collected your number from Tolu but the number was always switched off."

"Oh no" I said, feeling sorry for him.

"That is it ooo. How are you doing here in Ilorin?" He asked.

"I am doing fine as you can see." I replied with smile all over my face.

"What about Tolu and Victor, do you still hear from them?" He asked.

"Yes, I do. Victor is now in Obafemi Awolowo University studying Law while Tolu is here in Ilorin doing petty jobs."

"Hmmm, that's lovely. What about you?" He asked.

"I'm hoping for admission this year by God's grace. And you?"

"Same with me too. It is well with us dear."

"Ameen ooooooooo" I replied happily elongating 'o'.

"I can't express how happy I'm for having you back." He said joyfully while I replied "hmmmm, really?"

He looked at me and winked. I was carried away with his sweat words and I nearly lost direction to my destination.

He followed me and we kept on chatting until I finally reached my destination and we exchanged our mobile phone numbers before we departed.

Gbenga and I never stopped chatting on phone ever since that time we met. We became more closer and I started developing feelings for him. The feelings kept on increasing in my heart geometrically.

Gbenga is a type of guy every lady would like going out with. His handsomeness coupled with good personalities couldn't be underestimated.

I could remember how closed we were during our Secondary School days. How caring and loving he was. The memory was still fresh. While lying in bed thinking about our old days in school with Gbenga, the sound of my phone jerked me back to reality, and I quickly picked the phone to see that the caller was Gbenga.

Without hesitation, I picked it up...

"Hello, whatsup?" he greeted

"I'm cool" I replied and he heaved.

We didn't discussed anything special. He asked about my well-being and asked about my family while I reciprocated it. We caught fun over fun and laughed together before he ended the call.

After the call, my heart received a warm feeling of his love. I couldn't just believe it. I couldn't just trust myself any longer. My face was full of smile, then I rest my head on my pillow thinking on how it happened.

***WATCH OUT FOR Part 2***

2 Likes

Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 10:31pm On Apr 14, 2016
Onemansquad Psalmology Lildrizzle Bluestarry
macpetrus. Uthman51 stuff46 seunviju kceemart kingsley18 nceedaga therealbabe Costlybabe prettydiva89 Rounakid IdyRaph kingphilip Otupeluv donkris1 heemah will007 aprilwise demmy66 KOLITE93 missfaviy 1sikiru1 MhizTemmie Missmossy lovingangel Mimikathy JulietAKK faithomoh24 cheskabiney Sirfrederick labaski Harmonyemerald ayodijex Fembleez1 MissMalia mismore Omotayelolu.
Omotayelolu Sanmix2007 kenoz shoyemiayodeji
boladegreat shegs2009 ixora3 Kruzilano Tholuwani michaelmo11 Noela12 hadease sherryshitt lhateaphart21 MsKaffy Feyikemi12 Maryofficial Tuljaking underage nceedaga abbiey Queening missuniverse EllaGold35 Orlolahdey Klare fam24 loshybab clemz88 qhutetomsel jaymomma nimat158
tizblink sheyflixy1 Israel23 lilbethlars merasnipes deslim Lobolintin bumsiee teelord1 ngona Chivee latbas rotluv famora d4real890 soniachuks Niwdog amyvals SweetyZinta niffy102 Ormorlehwah Frankzamani OlufemiWhit ChyEndowed jeremie97
bamgbalaot leosmaria Chimdim silverx teeman10 awesomebabe sbyna omobola200 ArrowAssassin Preeteeshir GATED IamYhudii adeh39 chinedumo adeodunsimilolu akugbemike Aipete2 Hicea1
Ashiat39 rollex4ever ritzeluv slimport Uthman2senior mercydaniel loveyP tizblink Felinize folake25 princessadeola girly2020 umahi69 BlizzydoDo Dahprech Dahprech SPDAZZY Shoelace1 mimicious
gunners160 Rajosh Fumzybabe Brozo1 will007 Coolfaze Omoalhaja7 Ronke001 Slingkey FIDELITY24 chiboyo rhoseti1 totalhouse adefunke62 temilade20 jecigold happinessa517 pweetyoge donziller gabrisunate emtebe blossomic fabulousbrainzz Holuwadharah Executiveti loshybab GiftedAgwu juliejames sodson11 Angelina996 Mj45 Airies Yungdamsel folalek Godwinfriz kemmyp michaelmo11 Damzy997 MrKIDO raffyreuz Damiewonder uniqueflash oluwasolajames PEZMAN
Upnepaa GodWisdom Ashraf123 Itzemmyzone
Kakabliss Pukka36 meekmiki6.
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by donkross1(m): 10:43pm On Apr 14, 2016
1st to reach here cheesy. I name dz side Donkross1 stand... grin strictly for cute girls sha.

Mr op.. Oya let the story begin.
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by SPDAZZY(f): 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2016
iyoha240:
Onemansquad Psalmology Lildrizzle Bluestarry
macpetrus. Uthman51 stuff46 seunviju OlufemiWhit ChyEndowed jeremie97
princessadeola girly2020 umahi69 BlizzydoDo Dahprech Dahprech SPDAZZY Shoelace1 mimicious
will007 Coolfaze Omoalhaja7 Ronke001 Slingkey FIDELITY24 oluwasolajames PEZMAN
Upnepaa GodWisdom Ashraf123 Itzemmyzone
Kakabliss Pukka36 meekmiki6.

Présent
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 11:19pm On Apr 15, 2016
EPISODE 2

I couldn't figure out how I got smitten by his love and I ended the day thinking about him.

My fillings for him feelings kept increasing to the extent that he noticed I had strong feelings for him. I do call him times without number daily to hear from him and also make night calls.

One fateful day, I called Gbenga to know how he was doing as usual, but what got me shocked was the weird question he retorted with after the exchange of pleasantries.

''Hello; good morning, how was your night?'' He asked

''It was splendid ooo. And yours?" I replied and asked with silky voice.

''Well, it was okay as well." He replied.

"You know what? I just feel like hearing your unique
voice." I said with the expectation of hearing complimentary words from him, but it was otherwise.

"Really? That's good! In fact, I have to been hoping to ask you a question on this note; Tope, I notice you always call me, chat with me these days, and even come to see me at work some times. Though, it's a normal thing, but I'm getting confused. Hope you are not having funny feelings for me; love to be precise?" He asked.

I was taken aback by his question and felt embarrassed.

''What sort of question is that? What do you mean? It's not your fault anyway." I replied with a harsh voice which I did not mean to use.

''I'm sorry, but I can't just... "

I instantly ended the call without giving him any chance to finish his statement

"But Juliet, why? You should have listened to him. You should have allowed him speak his mind instead of acting harsh or better still let your mind be known" I blamed myself for my outrageous act for not letting him know how I feel about him.

Throughout the day, I wasn't myself, then I decided to call him again in the night to tender my apology for my furious reaction and at the same time explain how I was feeling. The apology was done which he granted wholeheartedly and afterwards, I made my stand known to him.

"There has been something that I have been keeping from you because I didn't know how to open it up to you"

''And what is that? oro ko ki n tobi ju ki a fi obe bu (no matter how heavy an issue is, one needs say it so it gets addressed).'' He replied and I started getting nervous...

"Er...er... though, I have developed interest in you right from our secondary school days, but I didn't know how to express it. Sincerely, ever since I set my eyes on you again, I have never been myself, I can't just stop thinking about you. Your picture has always filled my heart. I think I am in love with you Gbenga.'' I confessed.

"Hmmmmm! Really?'' He replied silkly.

''Yes, I mean it. Hope you won't mind taking our friendship to the next level?'' I stylishly requested.

"Like seriously! I can't just believe what I just heard. C'on, you are the best! I salute your courage for expressing your mind, because most girls shy away from it and lose their dream man as a result of that. I had intention of saying this, but I was afraid of you turning me down which could lead to friendship break up. Now that you have raised the the issue, then we are in together."

He accepted my request immediately without even thinking about it which of course I knew he couldn't right from the onset, because my killing body with great curves which I inherited from my mother couldn't let a man take his eyes off me. In fact, the number of guys that do disturb me per day were unccountable, but I was only blindfolded by Gbenga's love.

I was very happy with his reaction and pleased by his words.

The call was ended after some minutes.

"Hmmm! So, he was feeling same way, but he didn't want to bell the cat! Guys sha!" I thought.

I couldn't just believe I did it. My mind came to rest and my face was lighten up with smiles. Then, I slept off.

TO BE CONTINUEd...
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by SPDAZZY(f): 7:00pm On Apr 17, 2016
Guys sha
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by gunners160(m): 5:51pm On Apr 18, 2016
nice story. I dey gbadun u jor. ... Abeg come continue
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 6:35pm On Apr 18, 2016
EPISODE 3

After some months, the long awaited admission list came out and i was short-listed with the first batch to study POLITICAL SCIENSE. That does not really surprise me because it was actually expected. Back then in my secondary school days, i used to be the head girl owing to my brilliance but at the same time i was very happy at least knowing fully well that i am now an undergraduate. I will do things on my own without no interruption from my parents, after all mom will not live in school with me.

After checking the university portal to confirm, i quickly purchased mtn recharge card beside my mum's shop to call my boy friend to share the good news with him. I was about doing this when his call entered and i picked it immediately.

"Hello what sup" i said

"Am good love, guess what?" he said with a happy tone

"Hmmmmm........you won today's match?" i asked

"No No nO.....try again"

"Have you been given the money promised by your uncle ?" i guessed again

"No....you are not good at guessing" he said

"You know am not good at it.....ehn ehn Gbenga i have a good news for you" i replied with a cool smile"

"I also have a good news for you but as the old saying goes, ladies first"

I told him about my admission, he was very happy and we rejoiced together because he had also been admitted two weeks ago to study microbiology in OAU.**

"This call for celebration" i said

"Yes we have to celebrate it" he replied happily.

He asked if i am at home and requested going out for lunch with him,i accepted and we fixed a time to meet and a venue was picked. Few days passed, as resumption approached, preparation was going on and my dad was not around as usual. My dad is a very busy business man who travels to many states for business purposes, my mom told him about my success of gaining an admission. Of course, he was happy and he promised to send money for my school fees together with my shopping fee, as it is known to everybody that when one gets admission he/she will need to change wardrobe and some stuffs to look good in school. My dad warned me to face my studies, to remember the home i come from, never join bad gang and not to have any affair with any body in school because am too small for that, on hearing that i just smiled.

How would he ask a 20 years old pretty girl not to be in a relationship, after all i am a decent girl and i know what am doing. I am still a virgin at my age and have never kissed a guy in my life let alone making love with anyone. This is just my first relationship with Gbenga and have not had anything serious with him. Two weeks to resumption, i am already set for school. I have bought everything I will be needing as a student. for my mind. Unilorin must feel my presence. If only I knew what awaited me

****..To Be CONTINUED..****
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 10:57pm On Apr 19, 2016
EPISODE 4

It was sunday, a day to the date stipulated for resumption. I had all my clothes ironed, my bag,books,shoes and every thing i will use tomorrow were already set.

By 8:30am i was ready for church, i quickly hurried out of the house to join my colleges in the church. I attend christ apostolic church "Oke Agbara" meaning Mountain of Power. On my way i realise i was not holding my Hymn book which is required of me as a choir in C.A.C. I ran back home breathing heavily, i picked it and turn back. my mom called me but i couldn't reply, i dashed out immediately.

On getting to church all the choirs were set, it remain five munites for the service to start so i quickly join them. The church service started, we sang Hymn 419 and everybody was sited, by that time all the late comers are already arriving from their various homes. Now it was time for prayer, as the pastor approach the pulpit everybody rose to their foot.

Today is 7th, the first day of our 7th, 8th, and 9th monthly prayer program. everybody was ready for prayer. We had sang for about 15minutes when the pastor started speaking in tongue. God is amidst us,he started singing "Mabo oluwa wa fi agbara re han,sokale oluwa wa fi agbara re han" which means "come down oh lord and manifest your power,come down oh lord and ,manifest your power"

As he was singing the song the holy ghost descended on him and he continue speaking in tongue. after some minutes God revealed a prophesy to him which he delivered immediately. after the prayer, we did all what was listed on the program list and share the grace. My mom and i walked home together discussing how God has used pastor Gabriel today, God use him in another dimension today. When we got home, my mom sat me down to have a word with me. She warn me and advice me as the pastor instructed avery mothers in the church. I listened carefully and promise her to be a good girl wherever i find myself.

She ordered me to put water on fire to make Eba for the egusi soup she had prepared before going to church. I picked up a bucket to fetch water first because there was no water at home. After fetching 3 bucket of water i quickly light the stove and put the water on fire. About 15minutes later the water started boiling so i call on my mom to make the Eba.she look at me with a kind of eye that make me feel bad.

MOM: Juliet, Juliet, Juliet. So you cant prepare ordinary Eba? ** I kept mute** and she continued.
tell me where do you want to take this to..... hmmm hmmm...you know have been telling you to learn how to prepare food, it is when you get to your husband house before you understand what am saying.

** she hiss on me and walked straight to the kitchen** I am the only daughter of my family and since i was a child i have been restricted from doing pety pety jobs in the house because then we are very rich that we had people working for us only that the one taken care of the kitchen stuffs just left a month ago. I hardly cook food in the house, i am only good at preparing indomie** Not up to a minute i hard a knock on our door, i open it and it was brother samuel, a family friend. Very jovial as usually he create a folly, we both laugh and he got sited.

"Ha Ha bro samuel it been a while i see you, how is everything in osun state" i asked

"wo Aburo everything is fine o, we are managing" he replied

"Hmm Hmm manging as how don't you see how fresh you are (Youth service good ooo) " i said with laughter filled my mouth. **He joined me in laughing.

" Mummy told me you have been admited to University Of ILORIN" he ask

"yes oo" i replied

"Wow, that's great congratulations o" He congratulate me

"thanks bro" i replied

"Hmm Hmm Unilorin, Unilorin UnilOrin. What a great school to be" ** Bro samuel was a graduate of Unilorin so he knows all the culture and tradition of the University.

Me: PlEASE tell me about Unilorin

** Bro samuel told me many things about Unilorin, he told me Unilorin is a good school and told me some of their rules and regulation. He told me to be very careful with guys in school that with this my beautiful face and skin i will attract many guys and they will ask me out but i shouldn't give room for them.**

Bro samuel: what course were you given?
Me: POL. SCIENCE
Bro samuel: POL. SCIENCE!, wow thats cool. But you will have to be very serious because to study POLITICAL SCIENCE is not easy especially in the University of ilorin. One of my friend graduated from that department last year(20**) with a second class lower. The department only produce two second class upper with lots of second class lower and third class.

** He told me about their lecturers in the department how wicked and dangerous they are. We discuss many things and he promise to talk to his friend to at least maybe once in a week be given me tutorial on those complex courses i will offer.**

Me: Thank you very much bro
Bro samuel: No, its nothing, what about mummy

**He greatted her and took his leave. I sat down for some minutes thinking about all what he told me but i remembered in his word that he would talk to Bro Tunde on teaching me those courses that seems difficult**

Me: No problem jo, Bro Tunde will take care of that.

**Then I rushed to the kitchen to join my mom**

**TO BE CONTINUED**
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by OlufemiWhit(m): 8:05am On Apr 22, 2016
Nice Story....thanks for the invite
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 12:51pm On Apr 22, 2016
EPISODE 5

It was Monday, 14TH september 20**. I woke up as early as 5:30am, freshened up and got prepared for school as this was my first day in school and i couldn't afford to be late. Lets forget this is not
secondary school where late comers are usually punished, as soon as it was 8am i dashed out of the house. On getting to challenge, only to see about 500 people lined up going to P.S (Unilorin). I was like wow is this how i will queue to school everyday? (Asking a rhetorical question) it was a new session, majority of the just admitted students were just arriving from their various home. Immediately, i joined the queue. For about 30minutes the queue remained stagnant, as i was tired of standing i told the person behind me that i will be back in a moment. After leaving the queue a call entered and it was Gbenga my love. I picked it without waiting to see if it was a flash or a call.

"Hello Dear" He said softly

"Hey....What sup" i replied

"Am cool......where are you now" He asked

"Am at challenge, if you see how long the queue is, its just like the way to hell" I replied jokingly

"Are you serious" He asked

"Yes i am..... i have spent 30minutes on the queue" i replied

"Ha...that is very serious o, i suggest you rent an apartment very close to school" he suggested

"It would have been better but do you think my parent will allow me to do so?" i asked

"of course they will,....it will be very stressful if you are going from home....you have to explain things to them and am sure they will agree to this" Gbenga replied

"ok Love, when are you guys resuming" i asked

"Hmm!.... It will be around march" He replied

"You mean march next year" I asked almost screaming.

"Yes, next year" he replied calmly

"Ha Ha....what kind of school is that, By march next year i will be almost done with my 100L here in unilorin"

"Yes, that is true but that is what retain our supremacy...OAU is the best" he joked too

"Hmm!...forget about that Unilorin, we are better by far....i am proud to be a Unilorite" I teased

"Better By Far my foot....LOL...anyway unilorin is trying but OAU remain the best of all....Do you know the full meaning of OAU" Said Gbenga.

"Obafemi Awolowo University....ehn what is unique about that"

"Apart from that OAU is also known as OBA AWON UNIVERSITY " He joked again and we both laughed so hard that I had to end the call before people start starring at me.

I joined the queue back, scroll down on my phone and opened my whatsapp to keep myself busy pending the time i will be the next person to enter the cab....I kept on chatting with Gbenga for a while until it finally got to my turn. Before entering the cab i heard the cab man saying "enter with your #80 change" with emphasis, the money with me was #500. I was very worried and decided to talk to the man but he refuse that only people with #80 should enter, i was deranged, thinking that how would this happen to me, i have been waiting here for an hour and now i cant enter because of change. The guy behind me saw how i feel, he looked at me with pitiful eye and told the man to let me go in he will pay. I was very happy, i entered the bus and after the bus was filed the man started the car and we move. I was sitting at the last seat at the back and the guy that helped me was sitting beside me. I brought out my Blackberry Phone from my bag,scrolled to whatsapp and continued chatting, replying the 14 messages i have. As i was pressing my phone, i was smiling because Gbenga kept making me smile with his stories. After some time i noticed the guy was staring at me, i looked at him he smiled and i returned it. We had been inside the bus for about 30minutes without getting to where we are heading to. I thought in mind, Ha Ha what is happening, are we travelling? Is this how i will travel to school everyday( asking a rhetorical questions) i decided to Ask the guy sitting beside me.

"Hello.....is this how far the school is?" i asked a stupid question

"I also don't know either....am a new student" he replied

"oh! It means we are of the same type,this is my first time as well" i said

"so where did you wrote your post utme exam?" He asked

"JKK lagos" I replied

"are you a lagos based" He asked

"No...i just went there to spend few weeks with my uncle" i replied

We discuss for some minutes and he told me he was admitted to study POL. SCIENCE which i reciprocated. Some minutes passed and we finally got to know each other we got to the car park and we both alighted.

"Yes, we finally get to University of ilorin (Better By Far)" I said

"Yes o....less i forget, what is your name?" he inquired

"I am Juliet by name" I replied

"Wow what a nice name......as beautiful as you are, so your name is. I am Desmond. Nice meeting you" he said

"it's my pleasure" i replied with a cool

We both smiled and walked towards the popcorn seller.

....TO BE CONTINUED....
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 6:29pm On Apr 27, 2016
EPISODE 6

We both made our way towards the popcorn seller. He bought two cups of popcorn #50 each and gave me one. I thanked him and we moved forward. On account of not knowing where to head to we decided to ask someone around

"Baba how far abeg we dey ask of POL. SCIENCE dept" He asked a dude passing by

"E dey down the corridor" The dude replied pointing out the direction.

We proceeded, on getting there, there was just few students around. This was the first day of resumption so only few people were present. After knowing our faculty we move out to stroll around as this was our first time in school and there is nothing serious being done. The timetable is not yet out and everywhere was looking more like zombie town. We walked around discussing about our secondary days. As we have nothing to do in school that day we board a cab and took our leave. I got home thinking how God as used this guy for me otherwise i wouldn't be able to go to school that day.

Within few minutes Gbenga called me out of my shell with a phone call, i met him outside then we find a place near our house to sit and talk. We were there discussing when my mom arrived, she saw both of us but pretended as if she saw nothing. I try to cover up by telling Gbenga to dodge around one corner but to no avail. I quickly ran to her to collect what she was holding.

ME: Welcome Ma
MOM: How are you Juliet, how is school today?
ME: Fine Mom. How is work today hope its not stressful
MOM: not that stressful

We got inside, she rested for a while and sent me to buy some ingredient to prepare food....i walked as fast as my legs could carry me because I was extremely hungry, it past 4pm and i only ate rice in the morning as a result of not wanting to be late coupled with the popcorn i had earlier. I decided not to go to school until after two weeks when everybody would have resume fully.

***TWO WEEKS LATER***

Early morning i got prepared and left for school, as i alighted from the cab i made my way straight to the faculty of SOCIAL SCIENCE where i belong to. As i got to my department i saw people on a queue so i asked what the queue was all about, i was told they queued to see the LEVEL ADVISER for direction on how to go about registration so i joined them. After some time it got to my turn and i marched in like a soldier.

ME: Good morning sir
Mr Lee: Morning how are you
ME: am fine sir......sir, am a newly admitted student so i came to see you for the next procedure to take as a new student.

He told me to check my portal to know if i have been cleared and told me all the required document i should l produce.

Mr Lee: After you have been cleared you will bring the following documents. He showed me a paper listing all those document which I needed:

1. A photocopy of your O,level result with their result checker card
2. A Photocopy of your Jamb result
3. Two passport photograph
4. A Photocopy of your birth certificate
5. A photocopy of your certificate of origin
6. A Photocopy of your clearance form
7. A file and a clear bag

Mr Lee: staple one passport at the edge of the file. write your name on the file, your Faculty and department and bring it to me
ME: Ok sir...

When i got outside i try to Login my portal to check with my phone but i notice i have exhausted My DATA. Within a short period i saw Desmond coming towards me. He greeted me and i smiled warmly, i asked him if he had DATA on his phone, he gave me his phone and i checked. only to see

You have not been cleared to study POLITICAL SCIENCE
REASON: D7 in English"

When i saw this many thought started coming through to me.
Have i lost this Admission?
What really happened?
But i had B3 in my English, i began to feel nervous.

.....TO BE CONTINUED.....

EPISODE 7

I was very anxious and started feeling bad. Desmond tried to console me and everybody around suggested i should go to "COMSIT" that they would solve the problem. I quickly face the direction accompanied by Desmond. When we got there, i explained all the issue to the person we met at the entrance and he directed me to turn left and enter the first office by the right (Dr. Afolabi's office).....He asked me if i uploaded my o,level result at the specified period and my response was positive so he asked me to report to the Admission office. On getting There we meet the clerk and we were told that the Admision officer is not around, she asked me if there is any problem and i explained to her and she ask me the same question i was asked at COMSIT so she assure me i don't have any problem since i uploaded my result at the scheduled period and i have B3 in my English. We waited for his arrival. I explained to him and he asked me to put up a letter to him. I quickly get a full scab sheet and an envelope, i wrote the letter and submitted to the clerk. She told me the problem will be solved in two days time. When i got home i explain everything to my mom and she wanted to follow me to school the second day but i told her its not necessary that the clerk assured me that the problem will be solved.

That very day around 10pm i was asleep when Gbenga's call entered and he told me to come online on whatsapp. I swiped my phone and login but I wasnt in the mood to chat, i slept off again. After some time Gbenga called me again so i walked straight to the bathroom and used water to clean my face. I got back on bed,picked my phone and saw a message from Gbenga.

"Hey", I replied him. And he continued.

Gbenga: How was ur day.

Me: it was fine love.

Gbenga: Good to hear that....how is school today?

Me: It was stressful a bit

Gbenga: Stressful! What happened?

I briefly explained to him all what i faced in school and after some time he started saying somethings which i did not understand.

Gbenga: I don't know what happened am not just feeling sleepy that is why i decided to call you.

(He was telling me that we should sex chat but i didn't understand because i have never hear such before)

GBENGA: Common don't tell me you don't understand, are you a kid

ME: Am serious, i don't get you

GBENGA: So you mean you don't know how to sex chat?

ME: Yes, tell me is it another way for lovers to chat?

GBENGA: Hmmm.....Yes

ME: Will you teach me how to sex chat so both of us will be using that method to chat?
GBENGA: Are you kidding me

ME: stop it....i mean it

GBENGA: Ok no problem i will teach you.....when will you be back from school tomorrow?

ME: Am not going to school tomorrow. Since have not been cleared i have nothing to do in school

GBENGA: That's good i will pay you a visit tomorrow.

We ended the chat, then i went to bed thinking of what he meant by sex chat till i slept off.

The Next day Gbenga called me that he was on his way to our house, i told him no problem i am the only one at home and am feeling bored. When he got to our house i opened the door and he came in then i locked it. We gisted for a while and i reminded him of the sex chat he said he will teach me. He came closer to me and do as if he wanted to say something to my ears. He kissed me and started touching my body, I enjoyed it as it was my first kiss ever so i got turned on. He touch my twin oranges and started pressing it which i responded with a cool moan....After some seconds he located my skirt zip, as he was about to zip it down, i heard a knock at the door and it was my mom voice.

......TO BE CONTINUED.....
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by OlufemiWhit(m): 5:39pm On May 01, 2016
Gbenga the sharp guy..... Nice Story by the way....
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 11:55pm On May 05, 2016
EPISODE 8

I heard the knock again. We quickly disengaged and i was shivering.

"What should we do now?" I asked

Gbenga: Am even confused.

Me: Will you find somewhere to hide here?

Gbenga: No that is not a good idea....for how long will i hide that she wont get me.....you know what will happen.

Me: What?

He suggested going out through the second door at the back. I opened the door at the back of the house, Gbenga got out through the door and that was how he escaped. I now pretended as if i was sleeping. while yearning, i opened the entrance door for my mom to come in.

MOM: Ha ha, Where Have you been that you didn't open the door?

ME: mummy,(stretching my body) have been sleeping since. I just heard someone knocking the door and that was when i came out....Am sorry ma

MOM: Sorry for your self, so you mean you have been sleeping since i left for market?

ME: No, not immediately. I already washed the plate,swept and cleaned the house before i went to sleep.

MOM: Check that place( pointing at the door) what is there?

ME: maybe its those goats that normally disturb

MOM: Ok

She rested for a while and sleept off. Immediately i pick up my phone and called Gbenga.

Me: Hello Dear

Gbenga: How are you

Me: Am fine, so how did you get home

Gbenga: Ha it was not easy o....she nearly got me

Me: Yea, she even noticed that something passed through our backyard but i covered up.

Gbenga: I was about to show you something then but your mom interrupted, anyway i will do some other time.

Me: HMMM......what were you trying to do then?

Gbenga: How do you mean

Me: As in what happen between us some hours later....you kissed me

Gbenga: Yes didn't you enjoy it

Me: I do but after that you were pressing my boobs and touching my body....what were you trying to do?

Gbenga: Hmm....nothing really

Me: Do you want to sex me?....Oh no!, we dont need that right now Gbenga....we will get to that later....we still have more years to be together before our marriage

Gbenga: I know dear, am not also in haste. I Love you very much and i want to get married with you.

Me: I Love you too dear (i replied with a voice that depict happiness)

As i drop the call and turn back to enter my room i saw my mom standing in front of me holding a big stick.

**She heard all what we have discussed**.

.......TO BE CONTINUED.....

EPISODE 9

As she wanted to strike me with the object she was holding, i immediately woke up and realised i was dreaming. I sat up wondering what had happen in my dream. Thinking of how Gbenga kissed me, i smiled a bit. i touched my lips and smiled again because i really enjoyed myself in the dream. I checked my phone and saw it was 7am already. I quickly launched my opera mini browser to check my portal to see if i have been cleared and it was what i thought. I was very happy, hurried to the bathroom. Brushed my teeth,took my bath and got prepared for school. While i was busy doing make up i heard my phone ringing so i rushed to where i kept it,picked it up to see Gbenga was the caller. Without thinking about it i picked the call.

"Hello good morning" I greeted

"What's up Dear" He replied

"Am cool and you?" I asked

"Fine....how was your night?" He asked

"it was splendid" I replied

He asked me if i have been cleared and the response was positive. We fixed a place to meet in the evening, he kissed me on phone and hanged up the call. I immediately kiss the screen of my phone with happiness written all over my face. I got to school around 10am to start my registration stuffs, on getting to my faculty i stopped by at a kiosk beside ALT (Art Lecture Theatre) and bought all what was needed for the file compilation prescribed by my Level Adviser. I already got to his office entrance before i notice i haven't printed my course form. I went back and print it out in the next shop beside the kiosk. When i got to my Level advisers office i presented the file, he checked through and point out my mistakes and gave it back to me. I sat in one corner of his office to arrange the file as it pleases him. After 15 minutes i presented back the file to him and he collected it with no complain. As i dashed out of his office i was a bit famished, then, i proceeded to a nearby canteen, where i intended to have lunch. I ordered for a plate of rice with one meat and i was served. i finished the food and rested for about 10minutes and i paid my bills. As i was stepping out of the canteen i saw Desmond, he was going to class area.

"Desmond, Desmond" i called out ** he turn back, saw me and stopped so i joined him**

"Oh Juliet, how are you doing?" he asked

"Am fine...its been a while" i responded

"Yes, it is you i don't see am always in school" he said

ME: it's because of my clearance issue, i was just cleared today.....that was why i haven't been coming.

Desmond: oh.....so are you now through with your registration?

ME: No, i just submitted my file to the L. A today. In fact am very tired....so where are you heading to?

Desmond: To ALT, for POL 115 lecture

ME: Geez! So you mean lecture as started?

Desmond: Yes....lecture started on monday. Have you seen the timetable?

ME: No

Desmond: Ha...you are really missing

**We both rushed to ALT for the lecture, and after the lecture i borrowed his note book to see all what has been thought since monday. I glanced through it and borrowed it from him. As we move towards the car pack we were both gisting till we got to "challenge" where we departed. I got home very tired and later slept off. The ringing tone of my phone woke me up around 5:30pm. I woke up,cleaned my face and made my way to where me and Gbenga had agreed to meet.

Gbenga: Oh, you are here....what kept you so long? have been waiting for you here since 5pm

Me: Am sorry dear, i slept off when i came back from school. The stress today was too much today. I just submitted a file out of three that would be submitted.

Gbenga: oh! Sorry....That is how it use to be in 100L first semester.
(he talked as if he had the experience before)

Me: Hmmm....That is true, but you sound like the person that had the experience before. I should be the one telling you this. You are not yet a student of OAU. (i jokingly responded)

Gbenga: We are both not a student....until you have been matriculated before you can be acknowledge as an undergraduate.

We had discuss for about 15minutes when he started saying some words that makes me keep blushing.
Gbenga: A million stars up in the sky one shines brighter I can't deny
A love so precious a love so true
a love that comes from me to you
The angels sing when you are near
within your arms I have nothing to fear You always know just what to say
just talking to you makes my day
I love you honey with all of my heart
together forever and never to part.

Me: Hmm Thanks Dear i love you too and i will always love you till the end of my life.... Before i could complete this i saw a car coming to our direction and it was my mums friend. I tried to hide but the car was already close to use. As she got to our side she saw me and i greeted her. She responded well and asked of my mom which i told her her where about. Then, she drove off. For about 10minutes i was filled with fear that she would tell my mom but Gbenga calm me down. Few minutes later i heared the sound of my phone,its ringing....i immediately brought it out from my bag and saw it was my mom.

Gbenga: Who is the caller

Me: My mom ( i replied with tremble in my voice)
He asked me to pick it but i refuse. I began to shake with fear filled my body thinking she had told my mom that she saw me.

**TO BE CONTINUED**

EPISODE 10

After my phone had rang twice, the third time i decided to pick it.

Me: Hello, Good afternoon ma
MoM: How are you?...hope you are back from school?
Me: fine ma, yes am back
MoM: where are you now?
Me: i just left home few minutes ago, i want to get the fish you ask me to buy.
MOM: Good...that is why i called. Buy 3 pieces of the one of 200naira.
Me: owk ma....when will you be back?
Mom: in Two hours time
Me: Owk ma. *She drop the call and i sighed.*

Me: Gbenga, i will have to go home now. My mom will soon be back and she sent me an errand which i have to do before her arrival.
Gbenga: owk

He accompanied me home and when i got to our gate he kissed me and said bye which i reciprocated.

The following day, i was sitting at one corner of the class studying and waiting for the lecturer in charge of the next lecture when Desmond came to me.

DESMOND: Hello pretty, what sup?

ME: Am cool

I replied and turned back my face to the book i was reading. We had started lectures fully and i need to start preparing now because very soon the timetable for C.A will be out. He was still in my front. He sat down beside me.

DESMOND: Can i just talk with you

ME: yes **i put aside the book and face him** please do you understand this two course. ENG 115 and ENG 117, am really having problem with those two courses.

DESMOND: HMmm...No problem, maybe after the class we should go to the library or a cool environment so we can treat some topics of the two courses. Am not that Good in it o but i know at least i can do something on both.

ME: Thanks.....what about what you said you want to discuss with me.

DESMOND: yes i.......(before he could say anything, the lecturer came in and everyone in the class keep mute)

The lecture started and it got to a point where the lecturer made mention of a question, she asked the general class and said if no one could answer this she would point to anyone and if he or she is unable to answer the question the whole class will pay for it. She would deduct 20Marks from everybody. The class had a drop of a pin silence for about 15seconds. The lecturer pointed at my direction.

LECTURER: You tell me, what is the answer?

I looked back too see if she was referring to the person sitting behind me but unfortunately, i was the one she called. i was surprised she pointed at me because i did not know the answer to the question. I had been standing for about 5seconds when DESMOND whispered to me so i quickly said what Desmond said as i don't know what to say and i needed to say something at least to save the class from the deduction of the mark she had promise. Luckily i got it right and all the class hailed me. I happily got seated and after the class Desmond and i walked up to the Library. When we got there Desmond suggested we sit under the tree close to the library and we made our way towards the tree. On getting there instead of we discussing about educational matter as we have planed He was stylishly asking me out which really got me angry.

Without letting him finish the news he was casting to my hears, i turned him down immediately and left the place with the state of exasperation.

**TO BE CONTINUED**
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 10:39pm On May 13, 2016
EPISODE 11

I got home thinking how Desmond had messed up with me today..he pretended as if he wanted to teach me and took me to where no one is and started saying thrash...Mtcheew. I was still on my thought when DESMOND's call entered. With incensed mood, i reluctantly pick the call.

ME: Yes so what else do you want?....i am highly disappointed in you Desmond. What do you take me for?

DESMOND: I am sorry Juliet......i.i.i.i am just...........

ME: You are just what...let this be your first and last time, don't ever try that with me again ( i ended the call immediately and called My boy friend)

ME: Hello dear

GBENGA: how are you?

Me: Am fine

We exchange pleasantries but he noticed my voice was kind of down.

GBENGA: what is the matter?, your voice sounds somehow.

I narrated all what happened to him and he was happy about my reaction. We had a short discussion of about 3minutes and ended the call. Immediately after dropping Gbenga's call, another call entered.
ME: Oh!, its Bro Samuel **i picked it and we exchange pleasantries. He told me he had discussed with his friend and he said no problem.

Bro SAMUEL: i will forward his number to you so you can call him anytime for your academic problem.
ME: Thank you very much bro...i will be expecting the number.

After the call i thought in mind "This is even better, if Bro Tunde is taking me on those complex courses i wont have any problem on them that will lead me to asking Desmond to teach me that will warrant him messing up with me"
Not up to 2minutes my phone beeped and i checked. it was a message from Bro samuel containing Bro Tunde's number. I save the number immediately.

By 5pm in the evening, i bought #400 recharge card in a kiosk close to our house. I tried the number but it was swiched off. Since tomorrow is thursday, i wont be going to school because i have no lecture for that day i decided to call him back the next day.
The next day was here so i called him.

"Hello Good morning" I greeted

"Morning, who is on the line" He asked

"I am Juliet by name, from Bro samuel. He said i should call you for my academic challenge that you will help me out" I explained

"oh!, you are the one he his talking about....a 100L student of Pol Science right?" He asked

"Yes" I replied

"Ha Ha, no problem.....so have you guys started lectures?" He asked

"Yes we have started since last month" I replied

"OH!, you have started, so how as it been so far?" He asked

"Fine, but i have like 2 to 3 courses that is giving me headache"

"Hmmmmmmm......owk, you know what will happen, will you be chance today?"

"Yes i will"

Bro Tunde: Good, come to FLAT 8, ALEBIOSUN COMPOUND. That is where i live.

ME: Owk sir.....but what time will you be chanced?

Bro Tunde: just come anytime, am free today

ME: owk...i will be there in the next few hours...Thank you very much ** I ENDED THE CALL**

**TO BE CONTINUED**

EPISODE 12

Within two hours, i finished all the home chores. I dressed up, carried my books and proceeded to Bro Tunde's house. On my way, i saw Gbenga from a far distance along side a friend. As they were approaching FOWOROLA COMPLEX i tried to double up my pace but with the way i saw it, i realised i wont be able to catch up with them so i decided to call him.

"Hello Love" i greeted

"How far, how as been your day?" He asked

"not bad and yours?"

"fine thank you....are you in school?"

"No, i dont have lectures today....where are you now?"

"Am in shop, but my boss just sent me on an errand not quit long so am there"
"i think i saw you now, are you at FOWOROLA COMPLEX?"

"Exactly, that's where i am"

I told him where i am, waved at him so he can see me which he did. He joined me.

Gbenga: where are you heading to?
Me: am going for tutorial
Gbenga: where
ME: the next street(pointing to the direction)

We walked towards the complex. When we got there he told his friend to take the goods to shop that he will join him soon. We settled down under a canopy of a provision seller and he ordered for two coke and two Scotch eggs which he gave me 1coke 1Scotch egg. I thanked him.

GBENGa: Its nothing....how is school?

ME: Hmm....school is fine jare...somehow stressful. Its not easy o, not easy at all. Those lecturers are not smiling at all, thank God sha we are moving gradually. We will start C.A soon.

GBENGA: That is how it use to be. 100L is usually stressful very soon you will get use to it.

ME: Abi o...so how is your side...yes, that remind me. That work you are doing, are you learning it or you get paid for it?

GBENGA: Learning ke, of course i get paid for it. Why do you ask

ME: Nothing

GBENGA: You look so cute today.... I will always love you till the end of my life.

ME: I LOVe you too ( i replied with a cool smile)

**He continued**
When I say I love you, please believe it's true.
When I say forever, know I'll never leave you.
When I say goodbye, promise me you won't
cry, Because the day I'll be saying that will be the
day I die.
** I kept on blushing**
ME: You look at me as if I'm the only girl around, You make me feel important and never let me down...I LOVE YOU.
L is for 'laughter' we had along the way.
O is for 'optimism' you gave me every day.
V is for 'value' of being my best friend.
E is for 'eternity,' a love that has no end.
Your love will always be in my heart till eternity.
** we kept on exchanging sweet sweet words for about 15minutes**
ME: Gbenga it is high time i took my leave

GBENGa: owk, call me when you get home.

We departed and i proceeded to Bro Tunde's house. When i got to the place, the gate was widely open so i entered. The compound was very big with many flats that i had to be looking at the number placed at the entrance to each flat untill i found flat 8 where bro tunde prescribed for me.

I knocked and waited for a while but when no reply was forthcoming i knocked the second time

"Yes who is there, come in" i heard a voice.

As i opened the door, behold i saw 3 guys playing LUDO GAME at the sitting room with one wearing singlet and a short, They were staring at me in a strange manner.

** TO BE CONTINUED**

EPISODE 13

"Good afternoon" I greeted

"Afternoon" they answered in chorus

"how are you doing" one of them asked

" Fine thank you.....please is Bro Tunde around?" I asked

"Yes he his around, let me call him" he stood up and went into the room close to the sitting room calling Tunde Tunde Tunde....not quite long bro Tunde came and joined us in the living room.

Bro Tunde: Ha ha....Juliet Juliet, How are you?
Me: am owk, Good afternoon
Bro Tunde: how is school
Me: Fine bro
"As you can see, am having a visitor. Please can you just excuse us, you can take your game to your room" He pleaded
They obeyed him immediately as if he was their boss.
Guy 1: No problem na
Guy 2: Tunde Tunde i dey feel you o
Guy 3: kosi wahala just dey flex
They went inside and a thought came to me " Have i not come to the wrong place"

Bro Tunde: Yes, so how do we start....which of your courses do you have problem with?
Me: Hmm....POL 117 and POL 115
Bro Tunde: ok, let start with POL 117. Which topic should we start with?
Me: let start from the basis, ELEMENT OF DEMOCRACY
Bro Tunde: Good.....There are 8 Elements of democracy namely:
1. Personal Freedoms
2. Political Freedoms
3. Political Equality
4. Rule of Law
5. Common Good
6. Human Dignity
7. Being Informed and Getting Involved
8. Respect

He took them one after the other and started explaining them which i listened partially, my mind was still on his friends, they look dangerous. I was thinking about what they are up to. It got to a point, Bro Tunde stood up.
"I am coming let me check if i still have the textbook i used for this course during my time" He said

"Ok" I replied
About 20seconds, one of his friend came out from the room.
" So how is the tutor, hope you are enjoying it" he asked
"Yea, its making sense" i replied
"what is your name" he asked
"Juliet" i replied
"that's good am Daniel by name" He said
"Ok" i replied
After introduction he started he making some funny moves. He came closer to me, i shifted little with a frown on my face. He came closer again and i responded with a harsh tone.

"What is the meaning of this, are you insane" I shouted at him
He came closer again trying to touch me and I gave him a dirty slap......all this already happened before I snapped out of my thoughts .
"They dare not try nonsense with me. Which stupid thought is even coming to me now" i challenged myself
"Yea i got it...Hope i didn't stay long?" Bro Tunde asked while coming from his room
"it as been long i used the book so i had to search my room thoroughly before i could find it" he continued
"it's ok " i replied
He thought me for 2hours and the tutorial ended.
"i think i should take my leave, Thank you very much bro Tunde" i thanked him
"Ha No...don't mention. Feel free to approach me with any course that gives you problem" He said
"ok..bye" I greeted him and took my leave.

When i got home, i meet my mom waiting for me in the sitting room she was putting on a moody face.

"Good evening ma" I greeted
"Evening, where have you been?" she asked
"I went for tutorial" i answered
"Ok, that's good, so how was it" She asked
"not bad mom" i answered
" Good.....am very hungry. What do we have in the store?" She asked
I checked the store and suggested a meal which was her favourite. After eating, i went to the room to have some rest while my mom was watching movie in the living room. About some couple of minutes, my phone started ringing in the sitting room which was not known to me.it was Gbenga's call. She picked it and hard a man voice so she pretended as if she was me but when Gbenga noticed the tone of my mom he hang up immediately.

"Juliet..... Juliet ......Juliet" she called me three times with a fuming tone.

"Yes ma" i answered with a strident voice

"who is Gbenga" He asked searching my eyes in apparent confusion
"Em..Em Em...He his a friend" i replied with trembling voice

She almost beat me up that day and she made mention of the the day she saw Gbenga and i gisting beside the house. I kept mute while she was saying all sort of thing to me. When She was through with me i walked straight to my room and lay on the bed. Within 10minutes she called me and told me she will be travelling the next day and not sure if she will be back that same day. She asked me to take care of the house and warned me not to go anywhere since i will not go to school that day, I nodded my head in affirmation.

It was 4am, the next day. My mom woke up early to prepare breakfast. The place she was travelling to was far so she had to eat before leaving. She woke me up to help her in the cooking. When it was 6:30am she gave me 2k and dashed out of the house for her trip. After she had gone i was very happy at least i will have time for my self that day so i immediately called Gbenga and told him about my mum's trip. He was also happy about it.
Gbenga: Thats Good, so when will she be back?
ME: Tomorrow evening
Gbenga: Thats nice, what is your plan today, are you going out?
Me: No am not...will be at home, my mom instructed me not to go outside, she already provided all what i will need for that day
Gbenga: can you come to my side?
ME: Hmmm, i dont think that will work....maybe you should come around as usual i don't want to violate my moms rule.
Gbenga: Ha Ha mummys pet. No problem, so what time should i come?
Me: you can come anytime. I will be home all day. ( smiling Continuously)
Gbenga: Ok dear, expect me around 11am..... Oya give me a kiss
I kissed him and hang up. I clean up the house, washed all the plate and took my breakfast. When it was 8:30am i packed my mum's unwashed clothes out and started washing. I had washed for about an hour when Gbenga called me that he would be on his way. I quickly round up so i can freshing up before his arrival. After taking my bath, i wrapped my body with towel and walked to my room to dress up. As i was about rubbing cream i heard a knock at the door. "Oh Gbenga is around" that was what came to my mind but i haven't finish dressing up.

"Let me go and open the door so i will come back to complete my dressing" i said to my self

I open the door and he came in and gave me an hug.
"I dont know you will be as fast as this, i will be back in a moment let me dress up" i said
He kept mute while staring at me and I walked to my room majestically. The wriggling of my waist tingled in his head that makes him kept staring on me till i vanished from his sight. I was about wearing my p*nt when i feel a hand grabbed my waist***

**TO BE CONTINUED**
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 10:41pm On May 13, 2016
Episode 14.

****Weeks Later****

Exams were already around the corner and I wasn't really prepared to take my first exam in the university, despite the facts that I have been studying really hard and have gotten series of tutorials from Bro Tunde, and also different study sections with my friend Desmond and Sandra, i still felt in me that I wasn't really ready for the exam. Ever since Desmond apologised to me for asking me out, we have grown into super close friends. I really regret blowing things out of proportion, it was just him expressing his feelings and I really chastised him but him being the gentleman that he his, he kept on apologising till we became friends again.

Sandra who has always admired how I and Desmond has been best of friends in school had walked up to us one day and asked to be friends with us, initially she thought we were dating but later when we got really closer, she realised we were just friends. Though sometimes I always feel like having him as my boyfriend because of how much he cares and adores me unlike Gbenga who has really changed ever since we have had sex couple of times. Many a times I challenged him that he was only dating in me because sex but all of those times he denied it, he would really tell me how much he loves me and how he wanted to make me his future wife, I believed everything and anything he said.

"Hello mademoiselle, what is wrong with you, you have not really been yourself lately" Sandra said as she tapped me and I jerked back to reality.

"Don't tell me you have not been listening to everything we have been discussing" Desmond said and paused to look at me "Juliet I hope you do realise that exams is starting next week"

I wanted to explain what was wrong with me but how on earth will I tell them am being bothered about my boyfriend at a time like this. I stayed mute for a while and when I realised they wouldn't stop starring at me like I am some tourist attraction, I decided to leave. Just as I was about to take a step to move away, I felt some emptiness in me, I felt like I was empty inside, I still moved on regardless of how I was feeling. I was about to take the second step when I realised my legs couldn't bear the weight of my body again, I felt dizzy and I fell to the ground.

"Juliet Juliet, are you okay" Desmond and Sandra chorused.

I struggled to open my eyes gradually, at first everything was blurry, I could only hear Sandra and Desmond shouting but after a while I could see clearly.

"At least, I am alive" I replied them smiling.

"Ohh thank God" Desmond

"You really scared me" Sandra.

"Am sorry guys" I said and made to stand up from where i was laying, I saw almost half of the students staring at me. At that moment I almost fainted again out if shame but I faked boldness.

"How long was I out" I asked after standing to my feet and dusting myself.

"Almost 10 minutes, what is wrong with you Juliet, are you sick? " Desmond spoke with a lot of concern.

"Don't sweat Desmond, it's probably because I didn't eat before leaving home this morning" I replied still smiling.

After a lot of arguments, I had to concur to Desmond and Sandra's suggestion that I should go home and rest. Sandra volunteered to take me home. When we got to my area, She excused herself and branched at a Pharmacy close to my house, she bought somethings which she quickly hid in her bag. We walked to my house and I was surprised to see the main door widely opened. I was sure Mum had left home before me that morning and she was not supposed to be back till late night. I alerted Sandra and we both sneaked in gently to see if there was an intruder or an armed robber, someone was lying on the sofa but I couldn't get a clear view, I creeped further and when I realised who it was, I screamed.

"Daddy" I screamed out loudly that Sandra almost freaked out. I ran towards where he was and hugged him.

"My pumkinlicious Pie" he also screamed.

"Daddy you shouldn't call me those kind of names anymore, am a big girl now" I replied feeling a little embarrassed.

"Look at this girl oo, I will call you that name even after you get married" he joked and I laughed, Sandra also giggled "Ohh you are shy because of your friend abi, my dear don't mind her she is my little princess" he continued.

"Good afternoon sir" Sandra greeted.

"How are you my dear and what's your name" Dad.

"Sandra Okagbue Sir"

"Haaa you are omo igbo, just make sure you marry a yoruba man or else we will send you back to the east" Dad joked again and we all laughed.

After talking for a while, I beckoned and Sandra to come into my room, we gisted for a long time and we didn't even realise it was dusk already.

"I have to start leaving right now" Sandra

"Okay my dear friend, thank you for everything" I replied.

"What are friends for, lest I forget, I have to give you something" She brought out something from her bag and handed it over to me. "With the symptoms you said you felt before fainting, I think you might need this". It took me a while to recall where I had seen that thing before, I later realised it was in movies and couple of books about sex and pregnancy.

"Is this not the thing they use for pregnancy test" I said almost shouting.

"Shhh lower your voice" she cautioned.

"You think am pregnant" I asked in a whispering tone this time.

"I don't know but just to be sure, you know how and when to use it yeah? " Sandra.

"I think I do" I replied softly.

"Just make sure you do it and let me be the first one to know the outcome" Sandra said hugging me and bided me farewell. I couldn't even see her off, the mere thought of being pregnant made me feel like a dead girl, I started praying in my mind***

***TO BE CONTINUED***

EPISODE 15

I prayed all through the night, I prayed for a second chance, I prayed for the opportunity to make it right but it was rather too late, the test came out positive when I checked it in the early hours of the day. I cried my eyes out, I remembered the first day we had sex. I persuaded Gbenga not to do it without protection but he manipulated me with his sweet mouth, I decided to call him and inform him of the pregnancy. I picked up my phone and dialled his number, he didn't pick up at first but he later did.

"Hello Gbenga"....

"Hey my princess".....

"Gbenga there's a problem oo"...

"What is it honey"....

"I am pregnant"....

"Pregnant ?" Both Gbenga and my mum who I didn't know was already at my door shouted.

"You can't be pregnant baby, there's no..." Gbenga couldn't finish the sentence before the phone fell off my hand.

"Omo yii ti pa mi oo (This girl has killed me)" my mother exclaimed so loudly that my dad had to run into my room.

"What is wrong" my dad asked as he entered. At that moment I just wished the ground could open up and swallow me immediately, I'd rather die than choose to see my parents disappointed in me.

"Your daughter is pregnant" my mum replied amidst her cries. My dad didn't utter a word, he just went out of my room immediately. For a moment, I thought about running outside and probably got hit by any running vehicle. My mum kept on crying on the floor, it hurt me deeply to see my mother cry like that because of me. My phone started ringing after I re coupled it, I picked up instantly thinking it was Gbenga calling.

"Hello girlfriend" Sandra said on the other end of the line.

"Sandra" I am pregnant was all I could say before I got overwhelmed with tears and had to terminate the call.

"Take me to his house" my dad said as he walked in to my room.

"I don't know his house Dad" I replied barely audibly due to the crying.

"Excuse me, you don't know the house of someone who impregnated you, are you foolish or what? " I couldn't even dare to raise my head to look him in the eyes "Where can we see him then?" I closed my eyes and thought about it, the closest I know of his location is the shop he described to me the other day. "I think I can locate where he works" I replied.

They both starred at me in disappointment, how could I be so foolish, how didn't I ever ask for his location all these times that we have been dating.

"Let us go" my dad roared from the sitting room, mum and I rushed out immediately, we got into the car and I started directing him towards the shop Gbenga described for me. Occasionally they both will look at me through the rear mirror and shake their heads in disgust, I was even more disgusted with myself. We kept on navigating the same place and we still couldn't locate the shop, just when we were about giving up on the quest I saw someone walking by in front of us, I shouted for dad to stop immediately which he did and I rushed down. I shouted for the guy to stop as I approached him, he recognised me immediately.

"Good morning" he said but I was yet to reply him before my dad deposited 2 heavy blows to his face.

"Dad stop stop, this is not Gbenga" I screamed, he pulled away from him but the poor guy was already on the floor bleeding from his nose.

"What I am do na, why his your father blow me like this early in the mornings fah" the guy exclaimed bitterly in his poor English, my dad felt pity for him and apologised .

"It is Gbenga we are looking for" I asked him.

"Gbenga is not come to shop this mornings oo" he replied

"Please my son, do you know his house" my dad asked.

"Don't calls me your son o, after you blow me like this" he muttered.

"I am so sorry please" my dad apologised again.

"Okay let me take you there" he agreed and came in to the car, even with his poor English which almost made me laugh, he was still better than me in directing the routes. After we drove for a period of time, he instructed my dad to park in front of a storeyed building which was obviously a face me I face you. Seeing how dirty the compound was, I was more ashamed with myself for associating with someone from this kind of house. We all alighted from the car with the guy leading us like he owns the whole building.

"Luukaku baba ooo" someone hailed the guy leading us in side. He was so happy at the hailing that he started jumping up "Baba agbalagba ooo" he hailed back and they both continued hailing forgetting that we were there with them until my dad cleared his throat.

"Haa no vex sir" he apologised after realising we were walking for him. "Baba oo, Gbengene nko (where is Gbengene ?" lukaku asked.

"Gbengene ti ya danu laro yi (Gbengene has ran away this morning)" the guy responded

"Ya lobo, kilode (to where and why)" lukaku inquired more.

"O ni omo to n fe yen ti loyun tori e lo se ya lo odo awon obi e (he said his girlfriend is pregnant and that's why he is running back to his parent's place in Abuja)" the guy explained. Lukaku turned to face us to see if we understood what the guy said, my dad nodded to confirm to him that we understood. He then deeped his hands in his pocket, brought out some hundred naira notes and handed it over to lukaku. Lukaku and that guy started jumping up and hailing my dad, at that moment I felt empty and dizzy again and then I fainted***

***TO BE CONTIUED***

1 Like

Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 17, 2016
Omo see yawa o . Juliet,i feel for you.
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by Osjaay(f): 7:34am On Jul 23, 2016
Where the rest. no leave me hanging at this juncture na beg I dey beg u
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by stardomberry: 6:57pm On Jul 29, 2016
wen u go finish dis book!!interesting.....i hp it's not anoda narialand unfinished novel again.
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 3:32pm On Jul 30, 2016
EPISODE 16

Days upon days, weeks upon weeks, months upon months and there was still no sign of Gbenga, each time I hear a knock on our door, i'd always say a little prayer to God that it should be him knocking. My parents had stopped me from going to school when my belly started showing and also the doctor said I shouldn't do anything stressful. Sandra and Desmond has been my greatest support ever since I became pregnant, at first they tried to cover up for my missing tests in school but when they realised that there was no way I was gonna catch up with academic works anymore, they stopped. They always come visiting almost everyday, even my parents had grown fond of them, my mum even one day joked that it would have been better if it was Desmond that got me pregnant.

Everything was going on well until my dad told me that I would be going to the village very soon so my grandmother would be able to start making preparations for my delivery. My mum and I tried to talk him out of that idea but he insisted that it was his mum who is my grandma that will take my delivery, each time I tried to convince him to let me deliver in the hospital, he is gonna start the chronicles of how his mother is the best agbebi (mid wife) that he has known all his life, about how she has delivered almost 1 thousand babies and not a single case of still birth.

The appointed date for my village trip seemed far away when I was informed but it approached in a speed of light, Sandra and Desmond also tried to convince my dad that there are modern facilities that is far better than traditional method of delivery but they ended up listening to the same chronicles that he told me too. A day to the appointed date, Sandra and Desmond talked my parents into organising a surprise party for me which will serve as a send off party, I went to the hospital for ante natal and I came back to meet the surprise party, i was overwhelmed and I started crying.

"My daughter, you see in this life, we are bound to make mistakes, we are bound to fall but our ability to dust off our mistake, our ability to pick up again after falling is the thing that will determine our success in life" My dad started a speech I will never forget in my life. "Juliet, do not ever think we are disappointed in you, we are very proud of you because we know that one day you will make us proud, we are sure you will pick up again despite all odds, even if life kicks dust in your face, wipe off the dust and continue on your journey to success" he paused to clean a drop of tears formed in his eyes. My mum and I had already begun crying profusely, even Sandra and Desmond were shedding tears.

"My beautiful daughter, my pride, promise me that irrespective of whatever happens in life, promise me you will make us proud" said my mum.

"I promise" I sobbed as I hugged my mum tight.

"Is there no hug for me, pumkinlicious pie" my dad joked. That was the first time in a long time that I was proud he called me that pet name, I thought I had lost their love and trust forever but their love for me was stronger than I thought. I hugged him tight. "I love you dad" I whispered into his ears and he smiled. After that Sandra and Desmond came to hug me. "You guys are the best thing that has happened to me in a long time" Sandra said with her eyes full of tears as our trio held each other. "I will always love you girls" Desmond said after being silent for a long time, his silence was a way of holding himself from crying but the moment he spoke, he started crying too. We held each other for a long time as we all cried.

The next morning came and everything was already in place, all my suit cases were packed, dad was already outside hooting to hurry I and mum, in no time we embarked on the journey, my dad slotted in his favourite album disc Asha by Asa, we drove through the village in a loud deafening silence, just occasional starring and smiling among us but no word was uttered.. the silence was later broken by the ringtone from my phone, it was Desmond.

"Hello Desmond"...

"I just got to your house but you guys have left already".....

"Ohh yeah we left very early, is there a problem?".....

"I wanted to tell you something but I can't do it on phone, until we meet again then"....

"Okay till we meet again then"..... I replied and smiled as the call was terminated, i remembered how I met Desmond in the taxi, how he paid for my transport, how we grow to become great friends, I remembered Sandra and a couple of tears escaped my eyes. I closed my eyes as I heard that my favourite song off the asha album being played.

*music* He used to be my every thing
Treated me like I was a queen
What spell did you cast on me?
Or is it the make believe
You say girl never be afraid
Of ever, ever loving me
Those words I hung on too
Oh God, I was a fool......*music* ........ It was just like Asa sang the song solely because of me.

We got to the village and I was surprised to see the development that has occurred in the village since the last time I was here, Mama even boasted about the constant supply of electricity in the village, at leas I was glad it was better than what I was expecting. Mum and Dad embarked on their journey back to the city after they ate Pounded yam and vegetable soup, we talked for a while, they advised me more about being focused on the future and not letting the present situation affect me. It has been hours since they left and they had only called me once, I was beginning to get worried after calling them a couple of times and they didn't pick. I was relieved when I saw my phone ringing and the caller was my mum.

"Hello mum, why haven't you guys called me since".....

"Hello ma'am, am sorry. The owner of this phone had an accident alongside the man driving, they were rushed here but am sorry it was too late, they are dead***

***TO BE CONTINUED***

EPISode 17

The news didn't sink into my head for couple of minutes, it was like my ears kept repeating and processing the news before sending it to my brain, after a while when I really comprehended what the caller just told md, I screamed like a mad woman, I kept on screaming until Mama came to where my room. It took a while before I could finally break the news to her. She started screaming immediately, we both were, so much that it a alerted the whole neighbourhood, they tried to console and hold us from crying but their efforts proved abortive, nothing can stop an old woman from crying when she has just lost her only child at a very old age, her son didn't die when she had the time to bore a new one but he died just when she was way way above menopause, I on the other hand couldn't be stopped from crying because I lost both my dad n mum at a time that I will be needing them the most. The memories of what happened yesterday at the surprise party kept on playing in my head, the jokes, the advice, the dance, the meal we had together at the table with Desmond and Sandra, immediately I remembered Desmond and Sandra, I picked up my phone to call them.

"Hello madam village" Desmond said jokingly and Sandra too was saying some funny things, obviously they were together.

"Guys, my parents are dead" I managed to mutter.

"Excuse me? Dead, who, how, when? "Desmond.... I couldn't even reply any of the questions because the tears are now back in full force, one of the neighbours came to grab the phone from me.

"Hello, her parents had an accident on their way back to the city" She said to them in Queens english as she activated the speaker of the phone

"Nooooooo" Sandra screamed "Please send us the address of your village from ilorin, I hope you know how to there from ilorin?"

"Yeah, it's no problem I know it very well" she replied and the call was terminated, she looked at me to confirm if she should send the address and I nodded in affirmation. She came to seat beside ne after sending the message and held me like a true friend, I looked at her face and it was full if smiles, a contagious one which infected me, I also smiled back. By that time Mama was too tired to cry anymore "Poor old woman, who will be bringing her foodstuffs and pocket money every month end, who will she call if she is in an emergency, all she has now is me, me that I am even useless to myself" I kept on thinking and thinking to myself.

The next day, some family members from my paternal and maternal sides were delegated to go and get the corpse, good thing both of them were from the same village, the families decided to bury them right here in the village immediately their bodies get here. Not long after the ambulance and the family delegates left, Desmond and Sandra arrived to the village, immediately I saw them I don't know what happened but the memories of my parents flooded my mind again and I started crying profusely again, we held each other again like we did the day I was leaving ilorin, this further more reminded me of Dad's jokes and Mum's special smile, the three of us cried and sobbed like kids.

"You guys and Mama are all I have now" I said to them after we were now seated in my room. "We will be with you till the very end" Desmond said with paleness written all over his face. "You are not alone in this Juliet" Said Sandra. At that moment, I was so glad I met with the two of them in school, it was one my best decisions in life that I chose them as my best friends, what would I have done without them, what if I didn't choose to forgive Desmond just because he asked me out and all I did was just to prove to myself that I was meant for Gbenga alone, the thought of Gbenga brought tears to my eyes again 'I will never forgive him' I said to myself. A knock on the door brought me out of my thoughts, come in I said.

"Come in"... The girl that helped me send the address to Sandra and Desmond came in with bottles of soft drinks and cups in her hands and placed it in front of Sandra and Desmond.

"Thank you" they chorused.

"Thank you very much errrm"

"Ifeoluwa" she cuts in when she noticed I had probably forgotten her name again.

"Ohh you were the one that spoke to us on phone yesterday yeah?" Sandra asked and Ife nodded her head to confirm.

"Excuse me for this but you look too beautiful and you also speak fluent English to be a village girl" Desmond

"Desmond" I and Sandra snapped at him while Ife just laughed.

"Come on, it's not only city boys and girls that speak good English, anyways I was a student of unilorin until last year" Ife.

"What do you mean by that" Sandra inquired.

"I dropped out" she replied.

"Why" I probed further.

"My dad lost his job, he practically lost everything so we all had to move back to the village here" She explained. We all felt sad for her and I prayed that my story doesn't be like hers, at least I want to graduate in school just like I promised Dad and Mum. Desmond was about to ask her another question and it was starting to look like we were interrogating or interviewing her but he was distracted by a noise outside the compound, it was the siren noise from the ambulance that went to bring my parent's bodies, I started crying again as we all marched outside, they didn't allow Mama come outside because it was forbidden for a mother to See her child's grave **

***TO BE CONTINUED***

EPISODE 18

Few weeks after the burial and I was still yet to really convince myself that my parents were gone for real, there was no coming back for them. The only place I could see them now is in my dreams, even after their deaths their advises still keeps ringing in my brain, the promise I made to them about being successful will never go unfulfilled. I was determined to pursue my education and be successful in life. Desmond And Sandra hadn't stopped calling me ever since they left after the weekend of the burial, they always kept on calling to be sure that I wasn't thinking too much and to make sure they make Ifeoluwa force me to eat every day. Ifeoluwa has been one of the nicest people have ever seen in my life, she has been helping I and Mama selflessly, I was glad that she was there with me. Most times she will always keep me company, especially when she start to explain to me how interesting studying Law is, she practically made me fall in love with studying Law to the extent that I decided to study law anytime I go back home school.

On a very quiet Friday, I was seating in front of Mama's house when a car parked right in front of me, I was already too heavy to stand up or do anything in a hurry as expected delivery date was just around the corner, two people alighted from the car, a boy and a girl, both of them dressed corporately, immediately Ifeoluwa saw them from inside she came outside and I told her to help me get to ny feet.

"Good afternoon ma'am" they both said.

"Good afternoon , am not sure have seen these faces before " I replied.

"First of all, we will like to sympathise with you about the death of your parents" the corporate looking girl said and paused to stare at the corporate looking boy "My name is Adams King and she is Adewunmi Daniels, we are from the Adline Bank" he explained.

"Okay? " I replied getting really impatient.

"We are here to officially inform you that all of your Father's properties and business has been taken over by the bank because he used it all as a collateral for the last loan he obtained from us and unfortunately wasn't able to pay back......." the guy went on and on but I could only see his lips moving, I couldn't hear anymore, I couldn't take it anymore, that was my last hope, how was I supposed to pursue my education if all my dad's business and properties has been taken away, my world has come crashing down all over again, at that moment I wondered if I was the cursed one or it was the baby in my womb that was causing all the misfortunes. As soon as the guy stopped talking, I wanted to at least say something to acknowledged all he had said even though I didn't, I was about to ask him how he could be of help when I felt a sharp pain in my belly, it was a force labour. Ifeoluwa with help from the bankers rushed me inside and she ran to call Mama.

Mama also sent for all her Agbebi (mid wives) team, she started of by giving me some concoctions and some herbal mixture, as soon as her team was completed, they proceeded with the labour process. It took several hours of crying, pushing, sweating, shouting and me cursing Gbenga before finally the baby came out, all I could hear before passing out were the lovely cries of the baby, that was my compensation for all I have went through during labour. I didn't know how long I was out before waking up but when I woke I found Ifeoluwa, Desmond and Sandra right beside me. "Where's my baby was the first thing I asked" at that moment Mama emerged from her room with the baby in her hand, she was full of smiles as she was staring at the baby. "He is indeed Babatunde, he looks exactly like your father when he was an infant" she said as she handed over the baby to me. I held him in my hands and when I saw his pretty little face, I forgot about all my sorrows, the joy of being a mother overwhelmed me. "He shall be called Babatunde" I said.

**To Be CONTINUED**
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by iyoha240: 3:34pm On Jul 30, 2016
EPISODE 19

A YEAR AFTER.

I was dressing up for Babatunde when Ifeoluwa came inside with her face full of smiles.

"This one that you are laughing, have you finally found a boyfriend" I teased.

"No be only boyfriend, na man friend" she teased back and we both laughed. "I went to town and I saw an advert that a telecommunication company is hosting a scholarship exam very soon, the winner will get a scholarship in university of ilorin till she graduates, there will also be house allowance, feeding allowance, clothing and many more allowances every semester so I decided to buy the form so as to give it a shot" she narrated as she passed me the form and receipt.

"Ohh my dear friend, when is the exam" I asked after reading the contents of the form.

"Next tomorrow"

"Please go and start preparing oh, you must get that scholarship by all means, if only I had some money, I would have purchased the form too" I said with a sober look.

"Errm if only you can cook me that your special Efo riro (vegetable) and pound yam for me then I might perform some magic to duplicate the form I have" she joked.

"Olodo, Pounded and Efo that is already in the kitchen, better go and take it before it gets cold" I replied smiling and she ran to the kitchen to see if was telling the truth, she came back with a plate of pounded yam and joy was written all over her face.

"You too like food joor" I said jokingly.

"If you insult me again, I will not give you this form anymore" she replied as she stretched another form to me.

"You got me a form" I screamed and hugged her almost pouring her food away "if you pour my pounded yam away, I will tear your form" she screamed back and we both laughed.

The for the exam came as anticipated, I and Ifeoluwa hadn't slept a blink ever since we started preparing for the exam which was our last pinch of hope, if we missed the opportunity to pass this exam then we could at least bid education goodbye forever, I told Desmond and Sandra about the exam and they were very happy and hopeful about it. As I was about stepping out to go and hurry Ifeoluwa up so we wouldn't miss the bus going to ilorin, I saw a car zoom into the compound, I did a short prayer that the people in the car shouldn't bring bad news like the bankers that came that other day, as they were about to alight, Ifeoluwa showed up again, I was beginning to get a deja vu feeling because it was just like it happened with the bankers, them dropping from the car and Ifeoluwa showing up, I braced myself for the worst. To my surprise, it was Desmond that drove the car and Sandra at the passenger's seat. I screamed with joy because it has been awhile I saw the both of them, Ifeoluwa also came closer and we all greeted each other with hugs and smiles.

"Are you guys ready, I came to pick you people for the scholarship exam" Desmond said.

"Desmond is this your car" I asked in a surprising tone.

"Yeah my dad got it for me after I did very well in my first year in school" he replied him and I went to hug him again to congratulate him, Ifeoluwa did the same.

"You guys better save the hugging till after your exams" Sandra shouted and we immediately ran inside the car and we drove to ilorin.

The exams wasn't really what I and Ifeoluwa planned for, it was far more difficult. Right inside the exam hall, I had already given up the last hope we had, after the exams, Desmond and Sandra came to pick us up, when they saw how sad I and Ifeoluwa looked they didn't bother to ask us how the exam was because the answer was written all over our faces. We drove back to ilorin in total silence, the journey back to the village reminded me of my last moments with my parents, I couldn't help shedding a tear or two, only Desmond who kept starring at me through the rear mirror noticed but he didn't say anything. The journey seemed faster than usual, we said our goodbyes as Desmond and Sandra said they had to get back to school immediately.

"Juliet" Desmond called me back as I was about to enter the house, Ifeoluwa had already left for her house and Sandra was back in the car.

"Remember that thing I said I wanted to tell you whenever we meet again? " he asked.

"Yes" I replied in a cheerful tone trying to conceal my sadness.

"I planned to tell you today but I guess I can't anymore given the fact about how the exam has weighed you down" he said.

"Noo it's fine, you can tell me" I tried to convince him.

"It's fine, I will just tell you some other time" he replied and got into the car and drove off. I went inside and saw Babatunde lying beside Mama, they were both sleeping, when I saw Babatunde's face, once again I forgot all the sorrows the exam caused me because all I saw hin sleeping face is joy and hope.

The next days weren't has interesting as it used to be, Ifeoluwa hasn't been to my place ever since the day of the exam, I decided to go and check on her but as I got out, I saw Desmond's car coming un, my heart tinged for joy at seeing a good friend.

"Going out "he asked as he got out of his car.

"Yeah I was but it can wait, where's Sandra?"

"Oh Sandra travelled to her parents place, she should be back in two days" he replied and stared directly into my eyes "I have two things to tell you, one is a good news and the other is the thing have always wanted to tell you. So which one should I say first".

"Errmm the good news first, it's been a while I got a good news" I replied.

"Okay the good news is that You and Ifeoluwa passed the scholarship exam" he shouted. Immediately I started jumping for joy, I hugged and immediately ran to Ifeoluwa's house and told her the news, she almost went mad out of happiness, we both went back to my house to meet Desmond but he already left. I was surprised he had to leave so soon and I decided to call him.

"Hello Desmond, why did you leave without saying goodbye" I asked him after he picked up the call.

"Juliet am so sorry, I got an emergency call from school, a test is starting very soon" he replied.

"And the thing you wanted to tell me? "

"Don't worry, I will tell you some other time, I can't talk while driving" he replied again.

"Okay let me know when you get to ilorin " I spoke softly.

"No problem, congratulations to you and Ifeoluwa o, you guys should start preparing for jamb, post ume and blah blah" he said laughing and terminated the call. I smiled and wonder what was the important thing he wants to tell me but then again I remember that we got the scholarship and Happiness be clouded me***

**To Be Continued**

EPISODE 20

In a room filled with dim lights, two people can be seen seating adjacent to each other. One is a woman who should definitely be in her late forties and the other is a young boy who should be in his mid twenties. Tears was rolling down both of their eyes as the woman narrated the story of her life to the young boy.

"Mum, you mean you actually went through all of that" the young boy asked softly.

"Yes Babatunde, I went through all that and more" the woman replied.

"So what happened after you and your friend won the scholarship" Babatunde inquired and Juliet continued with the story.

After that day when Desmond came to inform us of our success in the scholarship exam, I and Ifeoluwa both went to ilorin the following day, we were then informed that we should get prepared to write the UTME and POST UTME exams which was just few days away. I and Ifeoluwa prepared tirelessly for the exam and God in his infinite mercy crowned our efforts with glory, we passed both the utme and post utme exams in flying colours which made the telecommunication company that was sponsoring us to be very happy and delighted with us. I and Ifeoluwa both enrolled for law, Mama was so happy that finally I could fulfil the dreams of my parents. She supported me by taking good care of you during the week but most weekends I will always go back to the village to see the both of you. Desmond and Sandra also did a very huge part in helping us settle down back in school, together we arranged the apartment which the company provided for us, the telecommunication company provided all they promised and even more, we didn't suffer anything, we had everything in excess, foodstuffs, money and all. We had them in excess that I and Ifeoluwa even gave our folks back in the village some foodstuffs and pocket money.

Sandra decided to move in with us after I and Ifeoluwa insisted for a long time, Desmond was always there to take us from lecture halls to our house, most times he stays back at our place to eat his dinner before going to his place. On a very particular day, after taking his dinner, he beckoned on him to walk him to where his car was outside.

"Juliet" he began to speak when we got outside "You have never even bothered to ask me what I have always wanted to tell you" he said and stared into my eyes like he wanted me to reply and I was about to reply, he hushed me and continued "Please don't say anything until am done, Juliet remember back then when I told you I love you? I really did love you truly and the funniest part is that even till now the love I feel for you is still as strong as the one I had for you back then, here I am again doing what almost broke our friendship apart before but honestly I have no choice, my heart can't take it no more, I love you Juliet and I still want you to be my queen, will you be my lover" he asked and paused for a while and then continued "Please don't say anything now, I don't think my heart can withstand you telling me No or you chastising me like you did back then. This is how we will do it, If your answer is a Yes, meet me at the motion ground on campus 3pm tomorrow and if you don't show up, I will know it's a No and I will take it in good fate" he concluded and drove off without waiting for me to say anything.

The next day came and I decided to give Desmond a chance he deserves, I planned to go and see him at the motion ground at 3pm and tell him it's a Yes from me, the lecturer in our class that very day took longer than usual, it was already past 3 and he wasn't ready to leave the class, he delayed us till it was almost 4pm before leaving the class, I stormed out immediately he left, I ran as fast as my legs could take me and when I got to the motion ground, I saw Desmond already leaving the motion ground and just as he was about to enter into his car, I shouted his name, he, everyone on the motion ground and around stopped and turned around to looked at me.

"Yeeeees, it's a yes" I screamed again. Immediately Desmond started running towards where I was standing, I ran towards him also and we hugged and kissed so intimately. We were only brought back from our intimacy by the rounds of applause by the onlookers and people standing around. We were a little ashamed but we appreciated the claps, weeks after that we remained the talk of the campus. Time went by and after the first session, I and Ifeoluwa came out as the best law students in the school, it was like that from the beginning of our first year till our last year. Sandra and Desmond graduated before us and immediately after their graduation, Sandra relocated to the United States of America. Desmond got a job at a very reputable company and he supported I and Ifeoluwa throughout our years in school.

After series of hardwork, I and Ifeoluwa graduated with high grades, we were awarded by N.u.c as the best law students in the whole of South west, immediately we graduated, we were both employed at one of the best law firm back then, we got a very handsome salaries which enabled me to get a beautiful house in town here and I brought you and Mama to stay with me. After couple of years I got married to Desmond whom you have always known as your father and we had your younger ones. Few years later Mama passed away at an old age, we gave her a befitting burial in accordance with her last wish and I guess you know the rest of the story.

"I guess I do now mum" Babatunde replied smiling.

"I just decided to tell you this story for you to learn from my mistakes and to also learn to always pick up yourself anytime you make a mistake in life, you can always make it again Despite all odds" Juliet.

"I love you mum" Babatunde said and hugged his mother "I love you too my son" Juliet replied and held him tight.

***THE END***

1 Like

Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by aprilwise(m): 5:49pm On Jul 30, 2016
wonderfull masterpiece with great lessons.
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by chycheery(f): 10:52pm On Jul 30, 2016
Great story
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by Osjaay(f): 4:50am On Aug 01, 2016
geezz so gbenga no suffer any consequences. it's not fair
Re: Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) by Despirado121(m): 9:23am On Dec 03, 2017
A masterpiece with a very great ending. Kudos to u bro! A job weldone indeed! Although u shud av let us knw wat happened to gbenga.

(1) (Reply)

Phee's Pleas / Biography Of The Prof. Pius Adesanmi That Died On The Ill Fated Ethiopia Airline / All The Women I Ever Dated - NARCISSISM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 358
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.