Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,201 members, 7,807,679 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? (1246 Views)

How Atheism Fails To Explain A Beginning To The Universe / There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe / D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 11:49pm On Apr 14, 2016
Err... Pardon my ignorance. I wasn't sure where to post this: the science section or the religion section? This is because I'm going to be talking about this from a "religious angle" and backing it up with science ( with a non-commital tone, though).
I, however, reasoned that the science section is probably oversaturated with scientist atheist, therefore this topic would be one-sided if posted there. On the other hand, I want to see what theists and atheists have to say, using their respective knowledge and understanding. cool

Okay. Enough babbling! Let's get back to the topic:

What if the universe is a test experiment?

I want you to think deep about this. grin

I don't mean to lean towards the theist point of view, but what if there is a supreme being who is also a scientist? Perhaps the very first scientist. (Please don't ask me who/what created this being, just imagine. grin)

whether it's formulating a theory, or creating something new, scientists have to follow the scientific process.

Now, let's take a look again at the scientific process:

observation --> hypothesis --> experimentation ... Let me stop here.

What if THIS universe is at the point of experimentation? Yes. I said "THIS" and not the.

What if there are other universes that have been finetuned? A replica of this one, but modified of the errors in this one?

I mean, scientist may be right after all that we are indeed in a multiverse.

I might as well think of the universe, for instance, as a phone being produced continually, and each time, its specs improved, leaving the old model the way it is.

your opinions are welcome smiley

1 Like

Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Apr 14, 2016
Stop imagining and face the reality, follow the rules and join the master scientist in heaven.

Okay.

Good
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by DarryOsh(m): 12:19am On Apr 15, 2016
There are many 'what ifs'. Unfortunately, in our limitedness has humans, we can't have answers. At least, not now. (Note: as a Christian, I believe we will get answers when we get to heaven)

Trust me, you don't want to know the weird 'what ifs' that I have thought up in my mind too.

So I will tell you what you can do. Forget the What ifs and live your life as best as you can.

cheers! Now go to bed.

1 Like

Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by jayriginal: 11:08am On Apr 15, 2016
As far as what ifs go, it could very well be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by orunto27: 11:29am On Apr 15, 2016
The Universe is ofcourse an experiment and will be assessed and judged when the Task master stops firing. Spiritology(Pneumatology) covers Arts, Science and Religion. The Spirits conduct the Universe's Tests and experiments in HeavenSphere. That's where God, The Supreme Spirit controls The Task Master.
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 1:48pm On Apr 15, 2016
One-sided.
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by verboten: 3:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
Be right back.
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 8:35pm On Apr 15, 2016
okay
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by DarryOsh(m): 10:25pm On Apr 15, 2016
So if the universe is an experiment, then you are just one of the variables. You are dispensable.
Maybe you are conditioned to do everything you are doing. Maybe you don't have free will. Maybe the thoughts you have of the universe being an experiment were planted in your mind by the so-called scientists carrying out this so-called experiment. Heck, we could go on and on...
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 1:52am On Apr 17, 2016
DarryOsh:
So if the universe is an experiment, then you are just one of the variables. You are dispensable.
Maybe you are conditioned to do everything you are doing. Maybe you don't have free will. Maybe the thoughts you have of the universe being an experiment were planted in your mind by the so-called scientists carrying out this so-called experiment. Heck, we could go on and on...
That would make it a controlled experiment. The variables in a test experiment aren't controlled because they are being "tested and observed".
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 1:53am On Apr 17, 2016
orunto27:
The Universe is ofcourse an experiment and will be assessed and judged when the Task master stops firing. Spiritology(Pneumatology) covers Arts, Science and Religion. The Spirits conduct the Universe's Tests and experiments in HeavenSphere. That's where God, The Supreme Spirit controls The Task Master.
hehehe. Just seeing this.
Interesting.
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 1:56am On Apr 17, 2016
DarryOsh:
There are many 'what ifs'. Unfortunately, in our limitedness has humans, we can't have answers. At least, not now. (Note: as a Christian, I believe we will get answers when we get to heaven)

Trust me, you don't want to know the weird 'what ifs' that I have thought up in my mind too.

So I will tell you what you can do. Forget the What ifs and live your life as best as you can.

cheers! Now go to bed.
unfortunately, I can't. smiley
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by orunto27: 10:50am On Apr 17, 2016
Happy Sunday!!!!
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by DarryOsh(m): 12:10pm On Apr 17, 2016
Geofavor:

unfortunately, I can't. smiley
Since you enjoy this what if game, let me indulge you with one of my weird what ifs.

To the worms and bacteria in your gut, your body is their universe. Maybe they have their own economy, government etc. Maybe they have their own technologies, extracting minerals from your digestive juices and bones and they make their own machines and all that. Your stomach is their earth and somhow they managed to successfully send a few of their species to the liver and back, and they are like "oh, we went to the moon". The heart is their Jupiter, the kidneys are Saturn and all other organs are considered planets or moons or one galactic body or the other.

They experience drought when the person whose body they inhabit decides not to drink water for some reason (maybe he is binge-watching season 3 of game of thrones and is too engrossed to get up and drink water (mind you, one hour for us is like a year for them). They experience a tsunami when the person belches. They experience an earthquake when the person gets into a fight and gets punched in the tummy. The person takes some drugs and the side effects causes some of them to die and some fall sick and have heart attack.

They have their own Lionel Messi, Einstein, Agbani, John legend, Kim kardashian, Shekau etc. They have their own Dubai, Abuja, North Pole, black race, Hispanics, white, e.t.c.

Now what if our entire universe exists in the gut of a much more advanced being. And there are 7 billion of those beings (i.e. 7 billion universes) in existence. Our being is already old and has some years left to live. When he dies our universe will come to an end. But the few years he has left is, for us, the 5 billion years scientists say our universe has before it ends. Maybe one day he will take combantrin to de-worm ( de-human) and kill half of the world population.
Or maybe our being is fighting to get rid of us, like a person with cancer tries to get rid of cancerous cells. Maybe what we experience as global warming is chemotherapy which doctors are trying to use to save our being's life (so, maybe global warming is not as a result of human actions).

Maybe we are not as 'big' as we think we are (even though we invented smartphones and aeroplanes). Maybe to some other advanced beings, we are just worms in the gut. And we'll never know because they have no reasons to contact us. I mean, we certainly don't spend time crying to communicate with the worms and bacteria in our guts.

Ps: I know there are 'plot holes' in this hypothetical situation but take it as a rough sketch.

2 Likes

Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 2:20pm On Apr 17, 2016
DarryOsh:

Since you enjoy this what if game, let me indulge you with one of my weird what ifs.

To the worms and bacteria in your gut, your body is their universe. Maybe they have their own economy, government etc. Maybe they have their own technologies, extracting minerals from your digestive juices and bones and they make their own machines and all that. Your stomach is their earth and somhow they managed to successfully send a few of their species to the liver and back, and they are like "oh, we went to the moon". The heart is their Jupiter, the kidneys are Saturn and all other organs are considered planets or moons or one galactic body or the other.

They experience drought when the person whose body they inhabit decides not to drink water for some reason (maybe he is binge-watching season 3 of game of thrones and is too engrossed to get up and drink water (mind you, one hour for us is like a year for them). They experience a tsunami when the person belches. They experience an earthquake when the person gets into a fight and gets punched in the tummy. The person takes some drugs and the side effects causes some of them to die and some fall sick and have heart attack.

They have their own Lionel Messi, Einstein, Agbani, John legend, Kim kardashian, Shekau etc. They have their own Dubai, Abuja, North Pole, black race, Hispanics, white, e.t.c.

Now what if our entire universe exists in the gut of a much more advanced being. And there are 7 billion of those beings (i.e. 7 billion universes) in existence. Our being is already old and has some years left to live. When he dies our universe will come to an end. But the few years he has left is, for us, the 5 billion years scientists say our universe has before it ends. Maybe one day he will take combantrin to de-worm ( de-human) and kill half of the world population.
Or maybe our being is fighting to get rid of us, like a person with cancer tries to get rid of cancerous cells. Maybe what we experience as global warming is chemotherapy which doctors are trying to use to save our being's life (so, maybe global warming is not as a result of human actions).

Maybe we are not as 'big' as we think we are (even though we invented smartphones and aeroplanes). Maybe to some other advanced beings, we are just worms in the gut. And we'll never know because they have no reasons to contact us. I mean, we certainly don't spend time crying to communicate with the worms and bacteria in our guts.

Ps: I know there are 'plot holes' in this hypothetical situation but take it as a rough sketch.
Lmao. There are indeed many "plot holes" in it.

2 Likes

Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
If so, then I wonder what the outcome will be?
Good, because the most advanced animal of them all was able to formulate a very ordered system of life? Good because they were able to progress, first in crawls, then in steps, and now in leaps?? A success because the test subjects are able to look at the apparatus used and are even able to alter them

Or bad because of their constant egoistic belief that they're better than other subjects around. Amused laughter that they think they are the only there is Or pitying disbelief that they actually think they "popped out of nothing" cheesycheesy??

Really, one cannot say what will be the conclusion. The rat does not care about the experiment. It only cares when it's about to lead to its demise. Likewise, we won't really care about resolving the "what-ifs" until something (if anything) happens...

I will agree I'm simply a test subject to whoever great scientist designed this; nothing more than a rat in the lab. However, unlike the rat I will like to read the conclusion drawn from the experiment. Good?? Bad?? Success?? Failure??

Really, what result will be given?

And what result do you hope for
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 2:26pm On Jul 16, 2016
SirWere:
If so, then I wonder what the outcome will be?
Good, because the most advanced animal of them all was able to formulate a very ordered system of life? Good because they were able to progress, first in crawls, then in steps, and now in leaps?? A success because the test subjects are able to look at the apparatus used and are even able to alter them

Or bad because of their constant egoistic belief that they're better than other subjects around. Amused laughter that they think they are the only there is Or pitying disbelief that they actually think they "popped out of nothing" cheesycheesy??

Really, one cannot say what will be the conclusion. The rat does not care about the experiment. It only cares when it's about to lead to its demise. Likewise, we won't really care about resolving the "what-ifs" until something (if anything) happens...

I will agree I'm simply a test subject to whoever great scientist designed this; nothing more than a rat in the lab. However, unlike the rat I will like to read the conclusion drawn from the experiment. Good?? Bad?? Success?? Failure??

Really, what result will be given?

And what result do you hope for
It is hoped that a supreme being created this universe, then perfects it with subsequent creations.

What this hypothesis doesn't consider is what created the supreme being or how it came to be. If we could ignore this, every other thing would seem to make sense.

The what-ifs are some of those thought-provoking questions we get by virtue of our inquisitive minds. Only a devout theist would pay deaf ears to those inquisitions brought up by both the conscious and subconscious mind.

It is actually possible that there is a supreme being who brought the world into existence, but who is also apathetic about happenings in it, probably because there is a better version (i.e., parallels but better).

1 Like

Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by CoolUsername: 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2016
Geofavor:
That would make it a controlled experiment. The variables in a test experiment aren't controlled because they are being "tested and observed".

What if we aren't the ones being tested? What if we are just the control and the variable is something else.
Re: What If The Universe Is A Test Experiment? by Geofavor(m): 11:32pm On Jul 16, 2016
CoolUsername:

What if we aren't the ones being tested? What if we are just the control and the variable is something else.
And what might that be?

(1) (Reply)

Ogboni Initiation Invite / 5 Wrong Reasons To Pray And Fast / RCCG Sunday School - 04 June, 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.