Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

Infant Formula And HIV - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Infant Formula And HIV (1323 Views)

HIV+ Woman Hides Her Status From Her Husband Before Marriage / New Mothers How Many Days Does Your Baby Finish A Tin Of Infant Formula / Infant Formula (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Infant Formula And HIV by DrAda(f): 7:05am On Apr 15, 2016
Breastfeeding is one of the ways that HIV can be transmitted to a child although this risk greatly decreases when the affected mom adheres to her medications.

If you have chosen to feed your baby artificially, then the risk of your baby getting HIV through feeding is avoided provided you NEVER breastfeed your baby once you begin.

To successfully feed your baby with artificial milk, you have to answer these pertinent questions first.

Is it affordable? A tin of NAN cost about N2000 and should last about 3 days or less if your baby is feeding well. That will mean that in a week, you will need at least 2-3 tins, and in a month 12 tins. This amounts to an average of about N25,000 monthly. Can you afford this? Please note that I didn't add other costs like clean water, feeding utensils, cleaning agents etc

Is it feasible? Believe me when I say that we are culturally more inclined towards breastfeeding our babies. If your mother-in-law is unaware of your HIV status, it will be very hard for her to understand why you are not breastfeeding your child when she comes visiting for "omugwo".

Is it sustainable? Yes, you can afford 1 or 2 month's supply of artificial milk now but can you sustain that for 4 to 6 months? Can you afford roughly N150,000 just for feeding alone?

Is it accessible? I want to believe this won't be a problem unless of course you reside in an area that is far from where you can get these tins of milk. I guess planning well will prevent this.

Is it safe? Always use clean boiled water. Borehole water is not clean. Aim to prepare fresh feeds and avoid storing them. Good hygienic habits, like washing hands thoroughly with soap just before feeding baby and after changing diapers. Using cup and spoon to feed and being mindful of who feeds your baby can go a long way in safe feeding.

Artificial milk is ideal for feeding a baby with an HIV positive mom but only when it is affordable, feasible, accessible, sustainable and safe.

www.kiddiesmatters.com
Re: Infant Formula And HIV by Iolite(f): 7:35am On Apr 15, 2016
Hmmm. That is why I always practice exclusive, it really save's cost and by the time they get to six month they are ready for food and milk. Other advantages of exclusive is that, its not time consuming and also not messy wink . Nice one doctor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Infant Formula And HIV by DrAda(f): 7:43am On Apr 15, 2016
Iolite:
Hmmm. That is why I always practice exclusive, it really save's cost and by the time they get to six month they are ready for food and milk. Other advantages of exclusive is that, its not time consuming and also not messy wink . Nice one doctor.
Thank you. Do you mean exclusive breastfeeding in the setting of an HIV mom Feeding her baby?
Re: Infant Formula And HIV by Iolite(f): 7:51am On Apr 15, 2016
DrAda:
Thank you. Do you mean exclusive breastfeeding in the setting of an HIV mom Feeding her baby?

No. I mean exclusive breastfeeding as regard's the cost of baby food for non HIV mothers. I understand cos I have witness it, that abstaining from breastfeeding as a HIV mom do really keep the baby alive. I have a relative of mine, though the mother is late now and the boy is around 10yrs, who is on routine drugs but I think, he doesn't know why.

(1) (Reply)

Twins Born At 23 Weeks Defy Doctors Verdict That They Will Never Live / Is Marriage Really The Answer? / 50mm Aluminium Venetian window blind At 6500 Per Sq Metre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.