Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,405 members, 7,808,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? (22049 Views)

Mechanic Creates 2-faced Car That Can Be Driven Forward & Back At The Same Time / Uber Car That Arrived To Pick Up A Lady In Ghana (Photos) / 12 Ways To Stop A Car With Faulty Brakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by MrRichy(m): 9:55pm On Apr 15, 2016
Have been wondering, what if my car fails brake ?(God Forbid shaa) what would I do ?
am sure some of us who are new to the car world have similar thoughts.
so pls fellow Nairalanders tell us how to stop the car "biko"
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by BlissP(m): 10:17pm On Apr 15, 2016
For auto, dont accelerate, gradually, d car will slow down! But make sure u navigate well till it gets to a safe heaven....its heart intensive though.... but its always better u run a pre-check on ur car b4 driving.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by oglalasioux(m): 10:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
1. Don't panic or let your passengers know what's happening. Their yells will complicate matters.

2. Don't switch off the engine.

3. Don't accelerate.

4. Gradually reduce to bottom gears (for automatic drive activate extra drive gradually from 3 to one. Don't engage neutral)

5. Look out for a safe field or empty road and divert.

6. Once the last low gear is engaged the car will rev, stop and stall.

Drive to stay alive. Your family needs you!

128 Likes 20 Shares

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Nobody: 6:44am On Apr 16, 2016
If at speed,don't step on the brake instantly,else it can tumble.

Just hold on to the steering,and try to control to a halt.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by bluntspade: 6:44am On Apr 16, 2016
This shit happened to me some years ago..Don't panic, get the car to the lowest speed n use the handbrake.
NB: Always do a brake test before hitting the road.. Just make sure there's always resistance on the brake pedal. Prevention is better than cure

11 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by TVTKOKO(m): 6:45am On Apr 16, 2016
oglalasioux:
1. Don't panic or let your passengers know what's happening. Their yells will complicate matters.

3. Don't accelerate.

4. Gradually reduce to bottom gears (for automatic drive activate extra drive gradually from 3 to one. Don't engage neutral)

wa gbayi

13 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by TVTKOKO(m): 6:47am On Apr 16, 2016
Yomieluv:
If at speed,don't step on the brake instantly,else it can tumble.

Just hold on to the steering,and try to control to a halt.
which brake again na bros. e say if im brake fail

105 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by folawalesegun: 6:47am On Apr 16, 2016
oglalasioux:

3. Don't accelerate.

Its a dreadful experience. All these steps are only useful when you are not in a crowdy road and not on high speed. Regular check up and maintenance is the best antidote for brake failure

32 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Yeecar(m): 6:47am On Apr 16, 2016
Scheduled servicing will save you from all that headache!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Fogman(m): 6:48am On Apr 16, 2016
Regular check up is advice, to avoid or minimise issues like brake failure, etc
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by shollay09(m): 6:48am On Apr 16, 2016
oglalasioux:

3. Don't accelerate.

thumbs up.... but prevention they say is better than cure.... so check regularly if everyfin is aiit before u set out for the day

1 Like

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by lonelydora: 6:48am On Apr 16, 2016
For Automatic cars, please don't engage 'Neutral'. You can quickly engage 'D1'. There's something called engine braking. Make sure you don't panic, and hold you steering wheel tight.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by mankan2k7(m): 6:49am On Apr 16, 2016
Start confessing

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by SPG4U(m): 6:51am On Apr 16, 2016
Ok
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by koksybrown: 6:52am On Apr 16, 2016
If you can't do regulate maintenance. Buy manual car. Thank me later
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Untainted007: 6:53am On Apr 16, 2016
1. Don't panic
2. Remove your leg from the throttle (modified), the car's speed will start decreasing.
3. Ensure you are holding the steering firmly and be focused to navigate safely.
4. You may have to place your hand on the horn continuously in case we have some sluggish drivers at your front who have the space to clear off for you to move.
5. You may also have to put on your hazard light.

May God help us all to remember all these things, cos if it dare happens our mind will not even be close to put all these in practice.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Owodiran: 6:56am On Apr 16, 2016
Don't forget to press the Hazzard button for notifying people coming from your back.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Obiwannn: 6:59am On Apr 16, 2016
Nice thread

1 Like

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by bakynes(m): 7:04am On Apr 16, 2016
For Manual remove ur leg from the accelerator, change to gear 1 and gradually pump your clutch. For Auto, remove ur leg from the accelerator, change to D1 as it slows down a bit pull ur hand brake and change to park.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by neolboy(m): 7:04am On Apr 16, 2016
For Manual cars, put it in neutral
Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by caramel403: 7:08am On Apr 16, 2016
If ur brake fail, just pray u are not in a crowded area and no go-slow. Because wateva u learn hear might not apply to ur road situation.

I remember when I drove my uncle's tipper and the brake failed. Chisus! My uncle shouted 'yeeeeeeee' as he also held my leg, because there was a jeep in front of us. I could not manoeuvre the truck anywhere because I was too close to d jeep b4 realising the brake had failed

After the impact, I began to sweat like a xmas goat. Then the owner of the jeep now came down, as I saw her, I heaved a sigh of relief because she looked like my old primary school mate. That was when me too got down and went to meet her. She could not say anything because she too recognised me. She just called her husband, after the call, she just told me to be careful and she drove off. My uncle hapi die dat day, because if we sell d tipper sef, we no go fit pay d gbese finish

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by koxi: 7:12am On Apr 16, 2016
For a manual transmission, you can reduce the gear to gear 2 and remove your leg from the clutch, dis will significantly reduce the speed to a controllable limit.
For an auto transmission, I don't know. God help us!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Stop A Car That Failed Brake ? by Smartanthony: 7:14am On Apr 16, 2016
cry .Alternative."go find one good pit or building use 4 brake!;Dno commit murder òö!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Death-Traps Along Abuja Airport Road (photos) / Jelani Aliyu Of General Motors Assumes Office As Director Of NADDC Today(photos) / Picture Of The Latest Mode Of Transportation In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.