Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,798 members, 7,798,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business (45923 Views)

Why Cereal Maker Kellogg Plans To Invest $420m In Nigeria / Cecilia Ibru Pictured At Techpoint Inspired Event In Lagos / See The Torn N1000 Note I Got From An ATM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 3:44pm On Apr 16, 2016
Thanks all for the comments
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by onatisi(m): 3:45pm On Apr 16, 2016
Bros ,u try but change ur concept . The market is saturated with this idea,come up with something different that stands u out of the crowd and which will give u a specific target market

1 Like

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by dahmie2013: 3:48pm On Apr 16, 2016
Wow! Op dis is lovely! I hope it's not fattening sha!
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by ExplicitContent: 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2016
This is how money is made.
Cool. Op just try settle dat nafdac and cac Ish and u good

1 Like

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 4:01pm On Apr 16, 2016
dahmie2013:
Wow! Op dis is lovely! I hope it's not fattening sha!

NO it is not. Rather its is even good for those who want to reduce fat... You can check up the components online yourself for see.
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by dahmie2013: 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

NO it is not. Rather its is even good for those who want to reduce fat... You can check up the components online yourself to see.
OK, so wen will u start selling? I can use it 4 breakfast den, with a dano slim milk.
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 4:05pm On Apr 16, 2016
dahmie2013:

OK, so wen will u start selling? I can use it 4 breakfast den, with a dano slim milk.

I am already... Though selling small small. but will enter the market in full after I settle with the NAFDAC ish. Where are you located?
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by repogirl(f): 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2016
Op, you didn't explain cooking methods o.

And we need a picture of how it looks after cooking.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 4:15pm On Apr 16, 2016
repogirl:
Op, you didn't explain cooking methods o.

And we need a picture of how it looks after cooking.

Modified on the home page. however this is how to prepare it.

HOW TO PREPARE
1. Dissolve RIETT BREAKFAST CEREAL in cold water to form a thick paste

2. Pour little quantity of boiling water and stir briskly.

3. Send back to fire and let it boil until desired thickness or cooking is achieved. (also stir while it boils)

4. Transfer cooked meal to a dish.

5. Add sugar and milk or any fruit puree to taste.

3 Likes

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by shehuolayinka(m): 4:16pm On Apr 16, 2016
Good job
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by justmenoni: 4:17pm On Apr 16, 2016
Op this looks so good but I wouldn't buy it even if it happens to be cheaper than cheap... IT doesn't look quality to me and I don't see this as a cereal unless we're going to agree that garri,pap,kunu are all cereal?

If you pack it without blending at least I can buy it then blend it myself... Well maybe you should introduce this as well!!

Let me teach you another scope of cereal!!! Buy maize dry it add your wheat then buy banana,coconut, sugar.. Dry them and pack it

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Stanbeto: 4:20pm On Apr 16, 2016
I want to start mine vsoon
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by engrsoma(m): 4:30pm On Apr 16, 2016
justmenoni:
Op this looks so good but I wouldn't buy it even if it happens to be cheaper than cheap... IT doesn't look quality to me and I don't see this as a cereal unless we're going to agree that garri,pap,kunu are all cereal?

If you pack it without blending at least I can buy it then blend it myself... Well maybe you should introduce this as well!!

Let me teach you another scope of cereal!!! Buy maize dry it add your wheat then buy banana,coconut, sugar.. Dry them and pack it

Bad Belle!!

8 Likes

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Iceman296: 4:34pm On Apr 16, 2016
Good Reportage OP, This is Exactly what the Teeming Youths needs to Get Ahead. There are Lots of Untapped Opportunities like this one waiting to be Utilized.

Well Done OP

4 Likes

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by dahmie2013: 4:34pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

I am already... Though selling small small. but will enter the market in full after I settle with the NAFDAC ish. Where are you located?
I can't give dat details here, will send u a mail. But i'm in Lagos.
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by OLIHI2000(f): 4:44pm On Apr 16, 2016
Will like to help u distribute, reach me on olihimedia@gmail.com
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Wizkoko(m): 4:44pm On Apr 16, 2016
Pavore9:

I can relate to your product because it is very common in stores here in Kenya. It is locally called uji porridge. It is different mix but l have a preference for Farm Uji Wimbi which is mix of Finger millet, Sorghum, Soyabeans and groundnut. There are those with rice, sweet potatoes, wheat, banana, barley in their mix.

A kilo pack of it sells for 80ksh-100ksh (N160-N200 CBN rate). Kenyans prepares it as thus: water is boiled in a pot while a paste is made mixing the combined flour with lukewarm water, then add the paste to the boiling water and keep stirring till it thickens and brown. It is cooked for 10mins under moderate heat until thickens, then add water to lighten it and leave to boil for an extra minute but since l have the intention of it coming out as pap, l don't add water, it end ups like pap for me but Kenyans make theirs light and some do squeeze lemon into theirs and served in mugs with sugar provided.

My own ends up thick and brown as if l added Bournvita or Milo cheesy, I then add sugar and fresh milk and eat it with beans or fried sweet potatoes.

A kilo stays in my kitchen for months because of its long shelf life and I make about 12 "pap" servings from one kilo. I have thought of this as an enterprise that can be introduce into the Nigerian market as this is very hygienic and "pap" only when you want.

Pictures (not mine) of how it turns out.

OP, where is the picture of yours? We want to see how it looks.
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by yvelchstores(f): 4:44pm On Apr 16, 2016
I am inspired. We need more producers and less consumers in Nigeria, keep it up! Ensure u pay your tithes. God bless u!

4 Likes

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by musicwriter(m): 4:48pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:
I have been seeing on Nairaland how people start up their own fish farming or snail farming to inspire others.

So here is mine

It`s no longer news that we have been encouraged to diversify and look away from oil, and with the scarcity of jobs and even the way those who have a job are being laid off, I decided to give myself and others job. What did I eventually come up with? A breakfast cereal used for making porridge (pap or ogi or akamu)

I'm going to explain how I started mine.

First I learnt how to make the cereal (composition And the process). Then I proceeded to go into the different markets to purchase the different cereals.

unlike the normal cereal we have in the market (I won't call names) that is made up of only maize or some who are kind enough would add soya to the maize and sometimes sugar.

this cereal is made up of highly nutritious components and is rich in iron and fiber contents. Namely:

wheat, millet, Groundnut, Fonio, Tiger nut, E.coracana (Finger millet), Guinea corn, Special white rice & ginger etc.

It is very good for everyone from babies, to children to adults even up to the elderly.

instead of buying pap in the market that has been open and house flies most times perching on it and doing parade, I decided to bring something that is very hygienic and well covered.

It is good for everyone.

I am not saying it cures diabetes or arthritis or ulcer patients, (cause it has not been proven to do that) but it is very good for people suffering from arthritis, ulcer, HBP etc especially when you take the cereal while taking your drugs as prescribed.

it also helps to burn fat and also add weight..

Contradicting right?? Nah!!!!

What I mean is it helps to burn fat for those who are overweight and adds body weight to those who are underweight... Strange but true.

For children and babies, they'll love it very well cos the taste and aroma is second to none.

And for those who need fresh skin? Hmmmm!!! You need to take a look at my skin to confirm it. Those who have met me in person can attest to that

Follow me as I show the process how I packaged it and how to prepare it.

Find below pics of the various components.

Millet
Guinea corn
Tiger nut
Ginger

Good job!.

What you have done here is that ''you have created original wealth from nature''. And it's the only way Africa can be free from poverty- using what we have to manufacture what we need. Exporting raw materials cannot make us wealthy, rather, it's using our own raw materials to produce what we need that would prosper us. Keep it up!.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:
Thanks all for the comments
I liked your page and added you on Whatsapp.
I'm interested in patronising you.
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by nigeriafilm(m): 4:56pm On Apr 16, 2016
Thank u
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by bigiyaro(m): 5:15pm On Apr 16, 2016
OP God bless ur hustle, i think sachet packaging would be cheaper, as per cost of production.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by justmenoni: 5:27pm On Apr 16, 2016
Lol exactly the reason why things don't seems to work in naija!! Cos I made my input perhaps it's negative and d op and gullible ppl like you don't wanna hear it!!!

Ohk sit down relax ur nerves thrn ask yourself why I would be a bad Belle to op's idea?? I'm an entrepreneur yeah but not into food production talkless of cereal and mind you cereal cost just 1-5 euros depending on your choice... Do u think ppl will take ops cereal in place of our golden morn( even if I don't like golden morn)??

Op no vex ooo ur cereal looks so good and keep it up no need to improve or diversify.. Just keep on doing it that way and dangote will be begging you soon for partnership

quote author=engrsoma post=44759313]

Bad Belle!![/quote]

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 5:29pm On Apr 16, 2016
PushPlay:

I liked your page and added you on Whatsapp.
I'm interested in patronising you.

Thanks for indicating your interest.. you can mail me on reittfood@gmail.com
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 5:34pm On Apr 16, 2016
justmenoni:

Thanks for your opinion. However you can as well Buy maize dry it add your wheat then buy banana,coconut, sugar.. Dry them and pack it yourself since you`re looking for short-cut. I`m talking about something more nutritious to the body. You can take the two to a doctor or nutritionist to compare and hear what he`ll say.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by itstpia8: 5:36pm On Apr 16, 2016
I know standards in Nigeria are not the same as the west, but technically, that does not qualify as cereal.

You should look at the constructive criticism and use it to improve or rebrand your product rather than just call it negativity.

What you have is in powder form, so its more of a flour than a cereal, which is typically a different texture.

4 Likes

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by owagbeba: 5:42pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:
I have been seeing on Nairaland how people start up their own fish farming or snail farming to inspire others.

So here is mine

It`s no longer news that we have been encouraged to diversify and look away from oil, and with the scarcity of jobs and even the way those who have a job are being laid off, I decided to give myself and others job. What did I eventually come up with? A breakfast cereal used for making porridge (pap or ogi or akamu)

I'm going to explain how I started mine.

First I learnt how to make the cereal (composition And the process). Then I proceeded to go into the different markets to purchase the different cereals.

unlike the normal cereal we have in the market (I won't call names) that is made up of only maize or some who are kind enough would add soya to the maize and sometimes sugar.

this cereal is made up of highly nutritious components and is rich in iron and fiber contents. Namely:

wheat, millet, Groundnut, Fonio, Tiger nut, E.coracana (Finger millet), Guinea corn, Special white rice & ginger etc.

It is very good for everyone from babies, to children to adults even up to the elderly.

instead of buying pap in the market that has been open and house flies most times perching on it and doing parade, I decided to bring something that is very hygienic and well covered.

It is good for everyone.

I am not saying it cures diabetes or arthritis or ulcer patients, (cause it has not been proven to do that) but it is very good for people suffering from arthritis, ulcer, HBP etc especially when you take the cereal while taking your drugs as prescribed.

it also helps to burn fat and also add weight..

Contradicting right?? Nah!!!!

What I mean is it helps to burn fat for those who are overweight and adds body weight to those who are underweight... Strange but true.

For children and babies, they'll love it very well cos the taste and aroma is second to none.

And for those who need fresh skin? Hmmmm!!! You need to take a look at my skin to confirm it. Those who have met me in person can attest to that

Follow me as I show the process how I packaged it and how to prepare it.

Find below pics of the various components.

Millet
Guinea corn
Tiger nut
Ginger

Please I 'd like to buy your product. Where is your location?
Do you deliver?
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investment247: 6:01pm On Apr 16, 2016
itstpia8:
I know standards in Nigeria are not the same as the west, but technically, that does not qualify as cereal.

You should look at the constructive criticism and use it to improve or rebrand your product rather than just call it negativity.

What you have is in powder form, so its more of a flour than a cereal, which is typically a different texture.

So I decided to look up online again to be sure before I answer you.

Maybe you didn`t look at the pix where it is written "whole-grain cereal flour".

Look at the attached pix and check if you really made sense.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by justmenoni: 6:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
Lol I don't need to do it cos it's already available where I am.. Don't get annoyed I was only giving you my suggestion.. you're a nutrisionist or an expert? No I don't think so cos the recipe I gave you is called musli and the sham you're trying to produce is bullshit and no way musli...approach nafdac and let's see what they hv got to say and mind you attached to this post is musli and proper definition of cereal you're trying to imitate

Now compare them yourself and tell us how d mess you're making is cereal...Not trying to spoil your idea or business sense I was only telling you to make it better and this ain't a big deal cos fruits are cheaper in nigeria
investigator007:

Thanks for your opinion. However you can as well Buy maize dry it add your wheat then buy banana,coconut, sugar.. Dry them and pack it yourself since you`re looking for short-cut. I`m talking about something more nutritious to the body. You can take the two to a doctor or nutritionist to compare and hear what he`ll say.

Cheers.

Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by investigator007: 6:08pm On Apr 16, 2016
owagbeba:

Please I 'd like to buy your product. Where is your location?
Do you deliver?

I`m in Lagos. Alimosho to be precise. you?
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 16, 2016
investigator007:

I`m in Lagos. Alimosho to be precise. you?
where in alimosho? I am around abule egba
Re: How I Got Inspired To Start My Own Cereal Business by itstpia8: 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2016
investment247:

So I decided to look up online again to be sure before I answer you.

Maybe you didn`t look at the pix where it is written "whole-grain cereal flour".

Look at the attached pix and check if you really made sense.

Since you are marketing a product which you want to sell, just take note of the critiques and suggestions about your product and work on them before someone else takes your idea and applies the criticism to the same product then edges you out of your market niche.

Cereal and flour arent supposed to be synonymous terms, you can perhaps produce both separately.

Your packaging is in order (as long as it's either cereal or flour, unless this is a new category recently introduced), its just your product which needs further clarification.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Forbes 2015 Billionaires List Released. 5 Nigerians Made The List / Haier Thermocool Or LG Fridge: Which Is Better? / Innoson Vs Gtbank: 30 Key Points To Know About Their Dispute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.