Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,395 members, 7,781,132 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:31 AM

More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria (13971 Views)

Looking For Products Of High Demands To Sell / Shop For Products Online / I Would Like To See Products Made In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by alheri(f): 11:13am On Nov 15, 2005
BRAND NIGERIA: Brand Nigeria: Let’s brand some of our locally made Nigerian products by making their names attractive and in line with international standards on exports.

Examples:
Eba - Cassava pudding.
Kuli-kuli: Peanut bars
Dakua/robo alata- Hot charcolit nuts
Kilishi - Beef crackers
dundun - Yamarita
Boli - Barbecue plantain
Roasted corn - Corn aflame
Chin-chin - Dough rocks
Zobo - Juice Afrik
Bokoto/nkwobi - Hoof salad.

And so on. So people, let's have more suggestions. Brand, brand, brand Nigeria!
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by mckaycee(m): 11:31am On Nov 15, 2005
Abacha ie sliced cassava with delicacies=African salad
Palm wine=African Natural Beer

more will still come.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by IAH(f): 2:20pm On Nov 15, 2005
Garri - Cassava Flakes
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:38pm On Nov 15, 2005
Ogi - African Ice Cream <refridgeration not required>
Eko/Pap - Corn Yoghurt Solidified.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by alheri(f): 9:52am On Nov 16, 2005
kpuff kpuff- energy buns
isi ewu- goat hedo lickin'
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 16, 2005
the ones you're proposing are even funnier than the originals

kpuff kpuff - energetic buns <------ find something for buns

i don't think palm wine needs to be changed. it Ok
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 16, 2005
Paw Paw <---- the name is OK but the pronounciation is too bad

not PO'-PO but PO-PO' the stress on the last syllable
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by alheri(f): 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2005
kunu- grains alive
eko/agidi- corn jello
ogi/akamu/pap-corn caremel rolleyes
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by obong(m): 3:57am On Nov 18, 2005
hey the names are fine the way they are. why do you think english names are more international? dont you know when branding you sell your strenght? we are africans. use african names. jeez, whats wrong with us?!!!!!!!1
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 4:12am On Nov 18, 2005
@ Obong, the late Bob Marley said: "...emancipate yourselves from mental slavery / none but ourselves can free our minds...."
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by jummiee(f): 9:33am On Nov 18, 2005
Garri and groundnut with cold water/ice block cheesy - cassa flakes and nuts on ice
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by alheri(f): 10:11am On Nov 18, 2005
@obong. this is just for fun no need "having a cow" about it. rolleyes Am African and proud to be one too.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:29am On Nov 18, 2005
This is just for fun! And besides, have you heard the adage that says when you're in Rome you should act like a Roman? If I want to sell a product to the 'developed' world, it will only be smart business to use a name that appeals to them! wink
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by alheri(f): 10:41am On Nov 18, 2005
@ seun, i wander oh my brotha.

gurudi- coconut jaw crackers
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by obong(m): 7:27pm On Nov 18, 2005
ajisafe, you're right. seun, you're wrong, my man. As for those saying they are proud to be africans, this is a funny way to show it. By erasing the the very african name.

By the way, how did toyota, daewoo, mitsubishi, mazda, nintendo, and the rest sell to the "developed" world using asian names? just wondering. it actually gives their product more recognition. its business wise to sell from your base. what makes a product internation isnt its name, it's the quality.

I don't get the roman analogy. the world isnt rome, its the world. we each have out space in the world. Let's use out names. not only because of pride but because its business wise.

so my response is i'd keep the names the same, but add a Ltd at the end, e.g. Naija Zobo, Ltd
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:53pm On Nov 18, 2005
alheri, you are right. obong, you are completely wrong. Yeah, now I feel much better having said that!

Fish head - marine brains grin
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 1:59am On Nov 19, 2005
By the way, how did toyota, daewoo, mitsubishi, mazda, nintendo, and the rest sell to the "developed" world using asian names? just wondering. it actually gives their product more recognition. its business wise to sell from your base. what makes a product internation isnt its name, it's the quality.
Good point, Obong!

As more and more people are praying for Nigeria to break up, if it does happen eventually and an Oduduwa nation emerges from it, I pray that we can do everything in Yoruba (text books, science, medicine, and technology) and forget this modern day self-enslavement; it will greatly help our economy to grow. From time immemorial, China has done things exclusively in Mandarin. Look at the Chinese today. They have almost bought every corporation in America! They are waxing stronger daily economically, militarily, and socially. Their science and technology are being taught and learnt in Mandarin. They only learned English in order to be able to compete with their Western detractors. That's all. They have never forgotten about their heritage. They have never tought that it'd be cool to change Mandarin to English. There's nothing wrong with our numerous indigenous languages. I personally think that Yoruba should govern their own affairs in Yoruba when the time comes, and forget about this English/slave mentality. It's not cool. With all our big English, Nigeria is still wallowing in misery!

1 Like

Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by obong(m): 2:12am On Nov 19, 2005
i completely agree. using your own langaueg actually makes you stronger and more international. Hebrew is spoke by just 6 million people or so, same for lithuania and swedish. Thee languages give them identity and hence presence worldwide. using your own lnguage is so unique that it automaticaly becomes a brand
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 2:28am On Nov 19, 2005
I think the problem with us is that we swim in self-abhorence. We don't like us! We think foreign things are cool! Some of us have even begun Westernizing their own names, for crying out loud! Or, what do you think about kids trying to make their names sound "more English"? For example: 'Bunmi has become "boomie," Jumoke is now "Jummy or Joomie," 'Leke (from Adeleke) is now "Lake or Lakeside," What is wrong with us? Argh!!!! And watch, they're going to start calling me either un-educated or "ara oko" for daring to say these. Our people!
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:38am On Nov 19, 2005
Well said ajisafe!
If this is board is for fun that is fine...
But im a business student and i know that one way to brand a product is also uniquebness

Lets take for example kuli-kuli:
what a wonderful name for a product, u say it once and u will never forget it!
It is a really sad that some of us believe that in order to sell to the quote end quote "developed world" we must change the name of a products.
The problem is that some of us believe that everthing foreign has to be good, which is so false.

We have to start marketing our products. I think something like palm wine would be hotcake in North America
Even Kilishi could be served as a delicacy
U would also be suprised how multicultaral parts of north america are. Is it not The US that u can have dual citizenship now?
We need to start taking advanatge of our diversness like the Indian and The east asians
Can you believe that what when Iwant to buy things like okkro(Never slimy enough here) and ridi(Used to prepare the best chicken, Naman Ridi),
I have to go to The chinese supermarket where they will label it with different names.!
How sad!
it is time that businessman and entrepeneurs in Nigeria think of oppurtunites like this to expand Nigeria's Export business, thus giving it a better balance of trade and gaining a better reputation in the Economic world!
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 5:19am On Nov 19, 2005
I think something like palm wine would be hotcake in North America

The name palm wine is not even African -- it's English. The drink should be called by its name "emu" or "oguro" in Yoruba or whatever it's called in the other parts of Nigeria.

The problem is that some of us believe that everthing foreign has to be good, which is so false.

By all standards, in my opinion, Ofada rice is better than Uncle Ben's rice. Since Uncle Ben's rice is produced in America, in their sick minds, it ought to be better than our own locally produced Ofada. When are we going to ever wake up from our slumber?

Can you believe that what when Iwant to buy things like okkro(Never slimy enough here) and ridi(Used to prepare the best chicken, Naman Ridi),
I have to go to The chinese supermarket where they will label it with different names.!
How sad!

And, I bet you, the Chinese don't give a hoot about the North America! They just continue labelling, writing, and branding in their language, which has made them a power to be reckoned with globally.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:27am On Nov 19, 2005
I know
Imagine if a country like China stopped trading with the world
tap! that would be some crazy anarchy
North America and other developed nations are so dependent on Asia
and not just for products, but the cheap labour of products
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 5:36am On Nov 19, 2005
Do you know that, as we speak, China is the one financing America's war efforts in Iraq? And these are people who can hardly speak a word of English! English language, my foot! Na im we wan chop?

Eba - Cassava pudding.
Kuli-kuli: Peanut bars
Dakua/robo alata- Hot charcolit nuts
Kilishi - Beef crackers
dundun - Yamarita
Boli - Barbecue plantain
Roasted corn - Corn aflame
Chin-chin - Dough rocks
Zobo - Juice Afrik
Bokoto/nkwobi - Hoof salad.

embarassed rolleyes
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:39am On Nov 19, 2005
o boy wetin be "hoof"? Salad?
that wouldnt even appeal to the oyinbo man LOL
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 5:43am On Nov 19, 2005
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 5:45am On Nov 19, 2005
In fact, I'm about to call Wole Soyinka for the meaning of "Yamarita." Is that English? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 6:05am On Nov 19, 2005
hehehe.. so many funny names oo!

Ermmm.. lemme think of one.

Danwake -- bean balls?

Talia -- Spaghetti
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by solomon(m): 1:46pm On Nov 21, 2005
una dey give diffrent name to all our foods,what of KULI-KULI dat thing way northen people dey take drink garri;which name we go give am.
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by Seun(m): 2:00pm On Nov 21, 2005
Kuli-kuli - Biscuitos Delicious smiley
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by alheri(f): 4:07pm On Nov 21, 2005
........i guess its really true. Empty barrels do make the loudest noise!!!
seun, nice one there.
Seun:

Kuli-kuli - Biscuitos Delicious smiley

miyan gedda- Nuts puree
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by bani(m): 9:45am On Nov 29, 2005
alheiri dat was harsh cheesy
but anyway i bear your sentiments. in nigeria i feel the educated yorubas alot for keeping to their tradition(though they could be rude in an official setting or hanging out with someone from another tribe). unlike my ibo brothers u get a little bit of education and u now feel the ibo language is bush.... angry
Re: More Attractive Names for Products Made in Nigeria by alheri(f): 9:57am On Nov 29, 2005
bani I understand your sentiments too and I can relate to that. My husband is yoruba from saganmu so I know what youre talking about. This is just a fun thing and for anyone to think they can come and rubbish this is beyond me. If you read some of the rude posts before mine, then you will see that I wasnt even harsh enuff. Thank you so much though for your comments. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Banks Lose N5bn To Fraudsters In Nine Months – NDIC / Another Market In Kano Razed By Fire / Why Are Young People In Nigeria Going Into Online Business? - See Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.