Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 (73525 Views)

Here Is How Sleeping Late At Night Can Kill Your Career / Sudden Death: 4 Ways Sex Can Kill You (Pics) / Huge Cancerous Tumour Removed From Kidney Of Poor Child In Port Harcourt (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by EOOJ(m): 2:56pm On Apr 17, 2016
“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately and she began to stifle! Here is this plant and you should keep it as a primary concern that there are other similar pruned plants with the same qualities, which are likewise toxic”
You must be very cautious when you live your child at home to be taken care of somebody else. You must give them instruction where they can play.

This plant can be found in many homes and workplaces but it is very risky to be kept. I almost lost my girl because of it. This plant is called “Dieffenbachia” and it is extremely toxic, it contains calcium oxalate.

A child can be dead from this plant within seconds and adults in around 15 minutes.

Maybe it is a decorative one, but this plant it certainly should be thrown out of your house.

In case you touch the plant, you must be careful not to touch your eyes! If you do that you can go blind!

http://community.vanguardngr.com/m/discussion?id=4565467%3ATopic%3A998823

57 Likes 57 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Ginaz(f): 2:59pm On Apr 17, 2016
I will tell my aunt o, she like planting anything plantable sad

205 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by BeeBeeOoh(m): 3:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
Nawa oh! Op thanks for the info

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
The first three letters says it all...

DIE...

227 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by akunjohn(m): 3:12pm On Apr 17, 2016
I dont welcome any plant in my house xcept vegetable grin

Thanx for d info.

63 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by jopretty(f): 3:13pm On Apr 17, 2016
And to think Mummy has these plant everywhere in our compound shocked

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by osaslord500(m): 3:39pm On Apr 17, 2016
Chai, and na watin I use for soup bdat ooo

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by yomi007k(m): 3:39pm On Apr 17, 2016
This plant is very common...

Hmmm. Thanks op

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by AlienStar: 3:41pm On Apr 17, 2016
Anything apart from Bougainvillea, hibiscus. Aloe vera is a NO-NO!

15 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Baawaa(m): 3:53pm On Apr 17, 2016
Dieffenbachia,MBA!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by BRAV0O(m): 4:17pm On Apr 17, 2016
OP is very right on this one I can remember vividly back then when I was young the plant almost kill a girl in one playing ground like that tho I can't remember how it happen then but the picture of the girl with her horror eye ball after the stuff enter her eyes flash tru My mind just now, twas so horrible' parents pls beware!

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Jibbie28(f): 5:40pm On Apr 17, 2016
please move this to the front page. let people know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by abbacar: 5:57pm On Apr 17, 2016
as i speak.. i water that plant daily in my house... as u have told me.... i shall continue to water it ...only that this time i shall not use water but dat which shall render it dead .... in a slow way.. because nah my landlord plant.. the guy no they use plant play... if u wan catch d guy just love plants and am plant different species for am

62 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
Yes Dieffenbachia is toxic, yes ingesting it can lead to death but the Op is obviously exaggerating its toxicity.

One would have to chew a whole lot of it to result to death, in most cases the major symptoms are vomiting, inflammation of the mouth and diarrhea.

Caracta, what do you think?

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Caracta(f): 7:17pm On Apr 17, 2016
LastMumu:
Yes Dieffenbachia is toxic, yes ingesting it can lead to death but the Op is obviously exaggerating its toxicity.

One would have to chew a whole lot of it to result in death, in most cases the major symptoms are vomiting, inflammation of the mouth and diarrhea.

Caracta, what do you think?

Well...

Poisoning can occur if you eat the leaves, stalk or root. It's also called Dumb Cane. It can damage the kidneys, the arteries or the stomach of those who eat it. It can also produce vomits or diarrhea. As for instant death, I am not too sure.

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Maryclaire1(f): 7:27pm On Apr 17, 2016
Op how did u save ur girl's life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Maryclaire1(f): 7:33pm On Apr 17, 2016
AlienStar:
Anything apart from Bougainvillea, hibiscus. Aloe vera is a NO-NO!
Are you saying we shouldn't plant Aloe Vera too?

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Veektoria(f): 7:45pm On Apr 17, 2016
shocked shocked shocked..... It's a very common plant and some kids can eat anything eh.

Thanks for the info.

6 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by AlienStar: 8:25pm On Apr 17, 2016
Nooo...typo error...that was suppose to be a comma, forgive me.
Maryclaire1:
Are you saying we shouldn't plant Aloe Vera too?

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 17, 2016
The cells of the Dieffenbachia plant contain needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals called raphides. If a leaf is chewed, these crystals can cause a temporary burning sensation and erythema. In rare cases, edema of tissues exposed to the plant has been reported. Mastication and ingestion generally result in only mild symptoms. With both children and pets, contact with dieffenbachia (typically from chewing) can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms, including intense numbing, oral irritation, excessive drooling, and localized swelling. However, these effects are rarely life-threatening. In most cases, symptoms are mild, and can be successfully treated with analgesic agents, antihistamines, or medical charcoal.Gastric evacuation or lavage is "seldom" indicated. In patients with exposure to toxic plants, 70% are children younger than 5 years.

source : Wikipedia

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by shosky1794: 9:03pm On Apr 17, 2016
And to think that this plant is used for decoration in some homes and offices in Nigeria. These are the kind of topics that should make front page on Nairaland and not some Tonto this, Tonto that.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by SlimHan(f): 9:30pm On Apr 17, 2016
Dis plant is very common every where. Pple even use it as decoration in their compound.

3 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:04pm On Apr 17, 2016
shocked
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by ZACHIE: 10:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
Hmm
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by IamAtribalist: 10:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
cool Thanks OP. Great info. Lalasticala FRONT PAGE ASAP PLEASE cool

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by famo19: 10:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
are you serious grin cheesy wink shocked
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by cruzita(f): 10:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
Op thanks very much.Na total clean up tomorrow be that

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
shocked
But is it true
someone ever said to me tht it can Make someone have nightmare

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Flashh: 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
Saying it will kill instantly is clear off reality.

9 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by WebSurfer(m): 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
grin
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by yomalex(m): 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
ehn
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by VickyRotex(f): 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
shocked shocked Thanks for the info Op.

"DieforAbacha" ke? undecided

joeblaze:
The cells of the Dieffenbachia plant contain needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals called raphides. If a leaf is chewed, these crystals can cause a temporary burning sensation and erythema. In rare cases, edema of tissues exposed to the plant has been reported. Mastication and ingestion generally result in only mild symptoms. With both children and pets, contact with dieffenbachia (typically from chewing) can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms, including intense numbing, oral irritation, excessive drooling, and localized swelling. However, these effects are rarely life-threatening. In most cases, symptoms are mild, and can be successfully treated with analgesic agents, antihistamines, or medical charcoal.Gastric evacuation or lavage is "seldom" indicated. In patients with exposure to toxic plants, 70% are children younger than 5 years.
source : Wikipedia

Thanks for the additionnal information.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola / COVID-19 Drive-Through Test Center In Yaba / University Otuoke Female Student Who Took Tramadol Dies During Sex In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.