Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,884 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 (73518 Views)

Here Is How Sleeping Late At Night Can Kill Your Career / Sudden Death: 4 Ways Sex Can Kill You (Pics) / Huge Cancerous Tumour Removed From Kidney Of Poor Child In Port Harcourt (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by kinglekan: 10:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
Ginaz:
I will tell my aunt o, she like planting anything plantable sad
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by 0ubenji(m): 10:07pm On Apr 17, 2016
Ginaz:
I will tell my aunt o, she like planting anything plantable sad

Ehen...!!!
Even cannabis too?

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Modsenemy(f): 10:07pm On Apr 17, 2016
So wat did u do to d tongue ,am curious undecided

Or did u cut it off?

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 17, 2016
SlimHan:
Dis plant is very common every where. Pple even use it as decoration in their compound.
especially in schools.

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Obrose(m): 10:09pm On Apr 17, 2016
OP na better advert u do so. No need to go meet Babalawo again for poison

4 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by CecyAdrian(f): 10:10pm On Apr 17, 2016
Now, this is interesting shocked shocked
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by omauchay(f): 10:12pm On Apr 17, 2016
LastMumu:
Yes Dieffenbachia is toxic, yes ingesting it can lead to death but the Op is obviously exaggerating its toxicity.

One would have to chew a whole lot of it to result in death, in most cases the major symptoms are vomiting, inflammation of the mouth and diarrhea

Caracta, what do you think?
You re intelligent really..or should I say a good student..
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by godfirstawe: 10:12pm On Apr 17, 2016
EOOJ:
“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately and she began to stifle! Here is this plant and you should keep it as a primary concern that there are other similar pruned plants with the same qualities, which are likewise toxic”
You must be very cautious when you live your child at home to be taken care of somebody else. You must give them instruction where they can play.

This plant can be found in many homes and workplaces but it is very risky to be kept. I almost lost my girl because of it. This plant is called “Dieffenbachia” and it is extremely toxic, it contains calcium oxalate.

A child can be dead from this plant within seconds and adults in around 15 minutes.

Maybe it is a decorative one, but this plant it certainly should be thrown out of your house.

In case you touch the plant, you must be careful not to touch your eyes! If you do that you can go blind!

http://community.vanguardngr.com/m/discussion?id=4565467%3ATopic%3A998823

Wow!!!

This is one of the commonest decorative plants we have around.

If it that toxic, then I don't see reason why it shouldn't be banned publicly except it has a very strong advantage over eother flowers.

May God save us. Thanks for the information though

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by gurunlocker: 10:14pm On Apr 17, 2016
This are topic worthy of front page, not one "Tonto dike show cleavage "

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by omokoladele(m): 10:15pm On Apr 17, 2016
Why wont it kill when d name sound like "Die" and "Abacha" cheesy

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2016
It must be true, because it made Nairaland's front page.

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Felaak47(m): 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2016
Yea it's true I could vividly remember when. I put this same plant in my mouth when I was a kid, the rest na story

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by prinsam30: 10:16pm On Apr 17, 2016
this leaf is not life threatening pls, stop scaring people with this ur overrated conclusion abeg
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by calabaman(m): 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2016
When I was young...my folks WARNED us about this plant.

That if you put it in ur mouth, u would be DUMB and would eventually die.

Even till date, I try not to touch this plant when I see it.

WONDER WHY PPLE HAVE SUCH IN THEIR HOMES

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by esejessy(f): 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2016
abbacar:
as i speak.. i water that plant daily in my house... as u have told me.... i shall continue to water it ...only that this time i shall not use water but dat which shall render it dead .... in a slow way.. because nah my landlord plant.. the guy no they use plant play... if u wan catch d guy just love plants and am plant different species for am
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Josegun(m): 10:18pm On Apr 17, 2016
Blood of God, where is my son!

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by octopusfreaky(f): 10:18pm On Apr 17, 2016
seriously, i touched it today and nothing happened what you dont know about or believe in wont kill uuu
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 10:18pm On Apr 17, 2016
EOOJ:
“I almost lost my girl; she put some piece of the plant leaf in the mouth! Her tongue swell immediately and she began to stifle! Here is this plant and you should keep it as a primary concern that there are other similar pruned plants with the same qualities, which are likewise toxic”
You must be very cautious when you live your child at home to be taken care of somebody else. You must give them instruction where they can play.

This plant can be found in many homes and workplaces but it is very risky to be kept. I almost lost my girl because of it. This plant is called “Dieffenbachia” and it is extremely toxic, it contains calcium oxalate.

A child can be dead from this plant within seconds and adults in around 15 minutes.

Maybe it is a decorative one, but this plant it certainly should be thrown out of your house.

In case you touch the plant, you must be careful not to touch your eyes! If you do that you can go blind!

http://community.vanguardngr.com/m/discussion?id=4565467%3ATopic%3A998823
Thanks for the info but you fail to tell us the remedy you use to salvage your child in case one falls victim. But may God forbid it

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by osariemeomos: 10:19pm On Apr 17, 2016
I will never forget what this plant did to me as a kid , I place one of the stem into my mouth and all of a sudden I could not feel my mouth and it was all swollen But Thank God I have adult around my father compound .
They rush me inside and started pulling palm oil into my mouth to neutralize the toxicity

2 Likes

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Kizyte(m): 10:19pm On Apr 17, 2016
Not really as dangerous as the op has emphasized

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by BigBossMan(m): 10:23pm On Apr 17, 2016
Op you are very correct, I almost died as a result of that plant when I was about 5years old
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by cardoctor(m): 10:24pm On Apr 17, 2016
The plant looks so innocent and harmless. Thanks op.

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Richydos(m): 10:25pm On Apr 17, 2016
osaslord500:
Chai, and na watin I use for soup bdat ooo
Nonsense u..... Someone took his time to educate your ignorant dumb ass WHILE YOU are busy cracking silly comic..... I pity u even if u don't pity yourself.... Knowledge isn't cheap but u got this one free of CHARGE BUT
THE CHOICE TO BE AN IGNORANT IS ALL YOURS.... PEACE

1 Like

Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by xreal: 10:26pm On Apr 17, 2016
I see this plant in may houses as flowers, I never know it was poisonous.

Thanks for the information.
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 17, 2016
The only plant you will find around my crib is Canabis Sativa
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by AreTheyBitches(m): 10:28pm On Apr 17, 2016
I remember this plant as a kid, the day I cut it up and was playing with it and the itching start, omo for minutes I no feel my hand again, thanks to palm oil. It might have been another story entirely
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by menxer: 10:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
You just revealed a cheap and effective way for elimination. grin
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Nobody: 10:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
Madam take am easy na
Richydos:

Nonsense u..... Someone took his time to educate your ignorant dumb ass WHILE YOU are busy cracking silly comic..... I pity u even if u don't pity yourself.... Knowledge isn't cheap but u got this one free of CHARGE BUT
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by osaslord500(m): 10:30pm On Apr 17, 2016
Richydos:

Yhu will die quick if Yhu keep on talking panadol for someone else headache !!
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by tosyne2much(m): 10:30pm On Apr 17, 2016
I chewed this leaf yesterday and I almost lost my life.. If not for the help of my villa mates, I for don wave goodbye to earth
Re: Dieffenbachia Can Kill A Child In Less Than A Minute And An Adult In 15 by Richydos(m): 10:33pm On Apr 17, 2016
osaslord500:

Yhu will die quick if Yhu keep on talking panadol for someone else headache !!
Be sincere to yourself... Have you made any sense with whatever u just said
If u even took a sec to digest what I wrote then u will understand that my outburst was meant to correct the wrong impression about joking with almost everything.. Most especially health........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Meet The 7-year-old Sierra Leonan Boy & Others Who Have Survived Ebola / COVID-19 Drive-Through Test Center In Yaba / How To Get Rid Of External Genital Warts In 3 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.