Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Why So Many "naija" Websites? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why So Many "naija" Websites? (1146 Views)

Interswitch On Naija Websites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why So Many "naija" Websites? by yawatide(f): 4:50pm On Aug 04, 2009
Preface:
As I have always said, I can take an extrapolation of what I see on this board and draw a conclusion about the entire nigerian web dev industry.

Recently, there has been a flurry of "sites" for review, most of which end up being forums. In particular, they have all had "naija" in them. Questions:

1) Why "naija"? Would a non-naija know what it means? For those who are afraid of nigeria and 419, wouldn't that immediately turn them off? I equate this to pretty much every single nigerian site having green in it.

2) Why not use "Nigeria(n)"? Sounds more professional to me

3) Why are a majority of them forums? Is there some new clause in the constitution that I am not aware of?

4) Is the target audience for all these sites nigerian? If so, I think given the nature of the net, this is limiting potential audience/ad revenue by limiting one's site to a certain locale.

Oya, let's discuss. I need to get this frustration out of my system grin grin angry grin grin
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by lojik(m): 8:35pm On Aug 04, 2009
The success of some Nigerian forums like nairaland & co and the zero setup fee of most forums like smf, phpbb etc is a major contributor to this influx of forums.

Those "naija" this and "naija" that forums are just trying to make some quick bucks from traffic by copying the successful Nigerian forum models without really understanding how to make it work and attract people to their forums. Its not entirely a bad idea to copy successful business models but it shouldn't be copied blindly at the expense of creativity and innovation.

Nigeria is an evolving IT goldmine but we need to understand that the early bird gets the worm. Lets think and create new opportunities rather than taking shortcuts that may kill our innovative abilities.
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by yawatide(f): 9:43pm On Aug 04, 2009
e-saaaaay. gbam! grin
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by Cactus(m): 2:01am On Aug 05, 2009
I am not sure about this but to me it could feel like when nigerians are talking I am not sure many would say "You know in Nigeria, " they would probably say "You know in naija, "

It is more accepted I think so it is also shorter than nigeria

it is just the trend I guess
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by MOSS1(m): 11:34am On Aug 06, 2009
Webmasters it's good to know what your frustrations are, but don't you think instead
of idling in this forum and discussing whats wrong with nigerian webmasters and websites
we can do something more result oriented? Like pool our resources and knowledge
and come up with something big.
Big like facebook, google, etcetera?
I believe if just 50 nairaland webmasters put their heads together and work towards
a specific goal we can achieve it in record time.
I won't mind spearheading this.
Let's look around what does Nigerians need or what does Africa need or world new
web Idea can we bring into this world that it does not already have?
Let's do something positive instead of sitting around sipping wine and discussing without
taking any positive action.
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by yawatide(f): 11:44am On Aug 06, 2009
Webmasters it's good to know what your frustrations are, but don't you think instead
of idling in this forum and discussing whats wrong with nigerian webmasters and websites

Let's do something positive instead of sitting around sipping wine and discussing without

MOSS: No offense, but I think you are part of the problem.  Rather than ask directly and specifically, you paint with a broad brush.  Before posting such, I suggest you have concrete proof.  For one, I would say search for my postings, going back to last year to see how many I have posted along "positive solutions" lines, see how many responses (or lack thereof) I got, then do same for other posters.

This is just your 9th post.  That tells me you are still wet behind the ears, as far as nairaland goes (unless you are a banned person signing up with another name).

Speak based on facts, not emotions.  Having said that, since you suggested, I look forward to your "positive solutions" in this regard and working with you as well. I look forward to you being a leader in this area, not a suggester. Lead and others will gladly follow.

P.S. I am not a copy-cat developer. By that I mean, I would rather spend my time on something unique, rather than do a clone of myspace et al.

Thanks,
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by MOSS1(m): 12:21pm On Aug 06, 2009
@yawatide look i am not here for a show down and for your information i have been
following nairaland for quite sometime and i know the trend.
besides by somthing big i dont mean cloning any website.
there numerous clones out there already.
I acknowledge the fact that you are a positive web dev.
what i mean is that we can come together and create something new.
talk about a "master mind alliance".
what do you say?
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by MOSS1(m): 12:25pm On Aug 06, 2009
and besides I am a man of action and not words but before action there
is need for study. and hence, my post. I am trying to know how motivated
you guys are in here before swinging into action.
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by yawatide(f): 2:49pm On Aug 06, 2009
Let's look around what does Nigerians need or what does Africa need or world new

what i mean is that we can come together and create something new.
talk about a "master mind alliance".

As I said, come up with what you have in mind first. You brought it up. Lead!

@yawatide look i am not here for a show down

Why does a challenge of ideas/debate of the issues have to be met by some as a "show down"? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by MOSS1(m): 2:59pm On Aug 06, 2009
aiit let me do a little brainstorming, will be back with ideas as to what project we
can embark upon.
Meanwhile you can also do a little brainstorming too as you have an idea of
what I have in mind.
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by yawatide(f): 3:31pm On Aug 06, 2009
Sorry, but my brain is totally tapped out.  It is too full and if there were a way to get rid of some stuff, believe me I would  grin

I would rather focus on smaller websites, cumulatively making the money I would have made making one big app.  At this stage in my career, I have nothing to prove to anyone anymore.  Those days are gone for me now. 

Having said that, if your idea tickles me the right way, I just might be game wink

for your information i have been
following nairaland for quite sometime and i know the trend.

If you really mean what you are saying, then you would know that my last venture was gathering the people on here to come up with a better website for the federal republic. THis was when Akunyili said she was shutting down the old site then launched another official "website" which is totally crap. We would hen either announce it our own way and hand it over to them or hope that some people might gain employment cos of it. A lot of positive responses were posted but I only had 3 or so emails indicating interest. This was after I had said that for the project to succeed, it would require, by my estimation, at least 10 ppl.

Blv me, many idea have sprung up from here. The issue, as you have so rightly noted is moving from words and typing to action.
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by MOSS1(m): 4:11pm On Aug 06, 2009
i c i may have to work on my own then, but i will keep you posted. smiley
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by allimercy: 1:57pm On Aug 10, 2009
Cactus:

I am not sure about this but to me it could feel like when nigerians are talking I am not sure many would say "You know in Nigeria, " they would probably say "You know in naija, "

It is more accepted I think so it is also shorter than nigeria

it is just the trend I guess

I think base on your request for
M.O.S.S:

Big like facebook, google, etcetera?
I believe if just 50 nairaland webmasters put their heads together and work towards
a specific goal we can achieve it in record time.
I won't mind spearheading this.

Base on your what yu have requested. Then let the Nigerian webmasters start thinking of solving the online payment system in Nigeria. This is still at a low level at moment. You guys should be meeting and having various seminars with relevant stakeholders on way forward to get Nigeria well integrated into the online payment scheme.
Re: Why So Many "naija" Websites? by yawatide(f): 4:22pm On Aug 10, 2009
allimercy:

I actually brought this issue up some time last year but like all my ideas on here, nothing was done. I am not there and don't have the time to move there, stay there and do feasibility studies of my own, otherwise I would have done it.

Another problem we have, for stuff that needs to be delievered, IMHO is delivery. So let's say I am in Sokoto and order something from a site that is based in Lagos. How do I get my products? In other words, we also need a chain supply management solution. Maybe not web dev but a problem nonetheless.

(1) (Reply)

I'm Looking For Angel Investors Funding To Grow My Website / How Can Set Up Access To Download Ebooks From My Website / Website And Logo Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.