|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,550,429 members, 5,877,288 topics. Date: Friday, 25 September 2020 at 05:09 AM
|I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:10am On Apr 18, 2016|
Finally I experienced America for myself and even tasted Canada-double blessing! Ol boy...no let anyone lie to you....na this place be the place! Anyone wey tell you say make you NO come America, thunder go fire that person! Buhari! Buhari! Buhari! How many times did I call your name? You sef don go America o and you see how e bi! We need Change!
America is not just good, IT IS EXCELLENT. I now understand that all those that used to tell me not to waste my time coming to America fall into either of two categories:
a) Those who had already been to America and could not go back again either because they were deported or for some other reason.
b) Those already in America or having access to America but for some funny reason kept saying all the 'bad' reasons why America was a no go. Yet they have either been in America with no plans to come back or constantly go there.
Anyway, I finally got here.
I was a on a thread on this same Nairaland about 2 years ago and read about how Nigerians could make it in America. Cant remember the thread now, but I contacted the OP and got some info from him. Fast forward to 2016 and Im in Yankee.
Not like life in Naija was that bad, but connecting to America has made all the difference and making dollars these days is sweet!
These are some pics of my road trip through Middle America on my way to Canada.
The USA was everything I expected, but Canada was completely different. That place is so big and deserted. There are places where just 5 people live in an area the size of Lagos State and places as big as Nigeria where there is not a single soul. It seems like 90% of the people in Canada live in just 3 or 4 of the cities.
This is already my second trip as I have been opening a nice business venture with some contacts in Yankee.
Some Facts About America I Saw.
1) Forgot about much of what you have heard-everyone is equal in America. Before I travelled, I remember one American returnee telling us that there are some places in Washington where black people cannot go –that any black man who goes there will be killed and police will not come. He was telling us with so much authority –no one could query him. Its lie. The only place you cannot go is people’s private property. People may not like you or greet you-but no one can stop you. Even Obama cannot slap his gateman. Here in Nigeria-the President can kill his gateway-no questions asked.
2) Roads spoil here too-but unlike in Naija, repairs are done EVERY year. In fact this is the road repairing season in the area where I am now. Every year between Spring and September-billions of dollars are awared to companies to repair roads. EVERY YEAR O! Whether it is Democratic that wins elections or Republican.
3) I travelled alone on the the expressway to Canada for almost 9 hours and on various roads through mid America-no police checkpoint, no armed robbers or highway robbers.
4) Armed Invasion as they call it here or armed robbers entering the house is rare here. In fact one of the people I visited who has lived here for 10 years-said in the entire State-he only remembers 4 or 5 cases of home invasion in the last 7 years. Yes there are killers and rapists and bank robbers –but peoples homes are their kingdoms and is respected. And not only can one not tell who has guns at home-the Police are always just 2 to 5 minutes away.
5) If you are a black man and respect yourself-no one will trouble you. I did not encounter one act of racism or anyone looking down on me. I dressed properly, obeyed their laws and paid my money. Yes there is racism- just like there is tribalism in Nigeria. Police even stopped me and said good evening sir-do you know why I stopped you? Very polite and I respected him too. .
6) Very few Americans desire to be rich or Millionaires-as long as they have a job, a place to live –they are happy working Monday to Friday and partying during the weekend or going to the stadium or cinema.
7) People don’t seem to go to Church –a lot here. There are many churches-but seems on the Sundays I have been here-so many people are at home or watching a game.
People work hard here o. If your job is 8 hours, you must work that 8 hours. No body is paid to do nothing. Even if you are gateman and no car is coming to the compound that day-you cannot sleep or play around-you must be on watch.
9) Car is nothing here. Yes –there are expensive cars and cheap cars-but having a car is not a sign of “ you have made it” . You cannot oppress any girl by stopping on the road and offering her a ride. While even cleaners can drive nice cars here, some millionaires in cities like New York don’t have cars-they use the train system.
10) You cannot use money to oppress people here. Come and see millionires and politicians and famous people walking on the road in New York. Having a car or house/nice flat is not a luxury-it’s a neccesity.
11) Nigerians in America work harder than Americans here. Come and see people with 3 jobs.
12) Nigerians have more education overall then Americans. Come and see old mama and papa going back to University in America even after working 10 to 20 years or more in Nigeria.
13) Hotel prices change here from day to day and they are cheaper than in Nigeria. The same hotel I would pay 40k for in Nigeria is like 15k here before the naira fell. The price can be $60 today and $90 another day and $70 another day. The key is to book at the right time.
14) There are many lazy people here who refuse to work. Government gives them money every week and subsidized flats. And instead of planning there lives, they play and drink and waste their money.
15) People save here like crazy. Even ordinary factory workers with just secondary school education can save up to the equivalent of N100 million in the course of 30 to 45 years. The saving is meticolous through what they call 401k (a pension system). So while they are not rich-they have enough saved for retirement.
16) There are speed limits on all roads and highway. If you go more than 9mph above it -you will be given a fine or may even be arrested. Most expressways are 60mph to 70mph. Police are usually hiding in one corner waiting to catch people who travel too fast. I was caught o. Thank God -I had cash with me-because if you dont live in that State-they will arrest you if you cant pay on the spot. If you live in that state -they will give you a ticket and you can pay later. I had to pay about $120!
17) Obasanjo, GEJ, Buhari have all been to America many times-why can they not copy what is done in America.
-Sorry-I dont have my best pics here.
These few are of my road trip across mid America to Canada. I passed by Wisconsin Dells-the largest water park in America.
I also stopped at a Rest Area! You cant imagine. Government built hundreds of Rest Areas all across the expressways of America where people can park-rest, eat and sleep. No armed robber-the toilet is cleaner than Aso Rock-very spacious. In fact if Buhari cannot do it in Nigeria-I need to build such and charge people.
I stayed in an average hotel on one of my trips. that in my opinion is as good as Sheraton in Ikeja-yet in Sheraton they will charge like 90k and this room was barely 20k.
152 Likes 15 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by vizkiz: 9:20am On Apr 18, 2016|
welcome to America. Oyah go look for work and begin dey send $ give mama
66 Likes 5 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:23am On Apr 18, 2016|
All the houses here seem to be made of wood. When fire happens-the house is gone in seconds. Thats one bad thing I have seen here. Any strong wind and the house is gone. But the foundation looks Naija foundation.
13 Likes 1 Share
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:24am On Apr 18, 2016|
Bros- I don send money already na. I don dey hustle before I even comot for plan. Nairalanders in Yankee are good people. They helped a lot.
60 Likes 3 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by grevotech(f): 9:29am On Apr 18, 2016|
Oboi I dey come join u soon...
38 Likes 4 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by vizkiz: 9:29am On Apr 18, 2016|
Yeah they are... I guess you are also gonna be an helping hand to others planning to come over too
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:36am On Apr 18, 2016|
Thats my goal bros-then we can make Nigeria better.
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Ginaz(f): 9:38am On Apr 18, 2016|
Well done o, next time when you wanna go again take me along. If no space sef, you can lap me I don't mind
31 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:48am On Apr 18, 2016|
No problem na. I go holla at you!
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by vizkiz: 9:52am On Apr 18, 2016|
which state are you in?
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Etinosajay(m): 9:52am On Apr 18, 2016|
Nice one jwillng, and congrats.
Congrats because you left at the right time. Things are gonna get worse here in Nigeria, a lot more before they get better.
By the way, did you travel as a student? Or through some other route
4 Likes 1 Share
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by peeparty(m): 9:53am On Apr 18, 2016|
TOp of the morning to you dear
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by grevotech(f): 9:54am On Apr 18, 2016|
Ginaz:Lol Lap ke? He did not go with bus o
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:55am On Apr 18, 2016|
We must make Naija better. I am here to make money and secure Naija. Naija for Life!
Not as a student-I took the advice of a Nairalander and used his tips-so sort of a Seminar/Training in Yankee and wedding in Canada.
27 Likes 3 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:57am On Apr 18, 2016|
My base is South Dakato-but Im hustling across the mid west.
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:58am On Apr 18, 2016|
Hurry Bros-before Trump 'trump' everything! Lol!
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Etinosajay(m): 10:03am On Apr 18, 2016|
Hmm...I'm surprised it still works
How did that guarantee you a permanent stay?
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 10:08am On Apr 18, 2016|
Its not permanent o! I am just a visitor here-but with a long Visa. I have done extensive research though and studying how to make it permanent.
30 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by grevotech(f): 10:08am On Apr 18, 2016|
jwillng:Seriously and they gave u permanent visa?
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by bennygreat1(m): 10:11am On Apr 18, 2016|
Nice!!! Hope to be there someday!
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Etinosajay(m): 10:14am On Apr 18, 2016|
Long visa? Hmm
You wrote a free report as stated on your blog. I will love to read that. Do u mind emailing It to me?
2 Likes 1 Share
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by moneybag100: 10:19am On Apr 18, 2016|
Hmmmm...you sound like you are just 3 to 4 months old there and seems like you already know the in and out of America.
5 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 10:23am On Apr 18, 2016|
I dont enough yet...but I know what I need to make the money I need. I have been twice now-but I researched for over two years. I sold property and borrowed money to travel-I could not afford to gamble-no trial and error. I must say I learnt a lot from the Travel section of Nairaland and many kind nairalanders. Some of them have had trial and error for 10 years-it helped me to learn from them.
I knew exactly what I needed to do-so that when I first landed -it was straight to business....
59 Likes 7 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by nairacountry(m): 10:34am On Apr 18, 2016|
Kudos Jwillin, you may have to update your blog and make it more users- friendly. What of the free report you purportedly wrote?
You were given visit visa but seems you are 'hustling'with it across the mid-west. How easy? (hustling with visit visa)
Once again, kudos!
2 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by christaddicted: 10:35am On Apr 18, 2016|
Am coming over soon.
3 Likes 1 Share
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 10:41am On Apr 18, 2016|
Im not too good with the web. Still getting training on how to manage a blog. I will do my best. I am finishing the report this week and will send it to as many people as want it free. I will post it on Nairaland too.
Bro-that visa cost me money-i have to make the money back! Since I cannot work here-I already planned on some juicy things I could do to make money. All legal o! There was a thread on NL some years back-and I got my ideas from there. I have mainly just bought some cheap items and brought them to Naija first time I came. I was able to make contacts here then -and the relationships have continued. Its all buying here and selling in Naija.
32 Likes 4 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 11:08am On Apr 18, 2016|
Come bros. It is sweet here!
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by claremont(m): 11:16am On Apr 18, 2016|
A very good article, and I recommend that Justwise pushes this to front page. What is written about is applicable in most developed economies. In the UK, some MPs (equivalent of Nigerian Senators) ride bicycles to their offices. In Nigeria, having a big car is a reflection of societal status.
19 Likes 5 Shares
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by idoo4love: 11:17am On Apr 18, 2016|
how do i get the free report
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 11:26am On Apr 18, 2016|
You are right bro-our leaders are pretenders. Come see and how they pretend when they come overseas. I saw some women at the airport in Houston-they must have wives of politicians on one of their jamborees. No police security or Mopol-we were all equal. I pay my ticket-you pay your ticket.
We need to change that system where getting a car is massive success in Nigeria and those that have oppress those that dont. Why cant a houseboy in Naija have his own car IF he NEEDs it-when maids and cleaners have it here. The salary we get in Nigeria is too low.
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 11:27am On Apr 18, 2016|
I will post it here later this week and send it by email too.
|Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by nairacountry(m): 11:31am On Apr 18, 2016|
Good to know. please stay legal bro
God bless your hussle
14 Likes 8 Shares
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168