Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? (1434 Views)

Relocated Post: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by WebMonk(m): 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2006
I’ve been a member of this forum for a while, preferably in the webmaster and graphics sections, and as far back as I can remember, I wonder, concerning the design of websites; why not Photoshop?

Now don’t get me wrong. Photoshop is great for imagery enhancement and the like. A week before writing this, CNN provided an exclusive insight to how images of celebrities were enhanced using Photoshop:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10/24/transcript.wed/index.html

But there’s more to it than that. Way more. As a matter of fact, its powerful features emphasize that websites don’t just have to be clever mix of squares and table-segmented designs (that is, a web page can be divided into constituent parts without a break in the overall image layout)

I have heard that fireworks is there. I use it too. And I don’t think I need to stress its importance. But anyone who is a veteran in both packages would agree without hesitation that Photoshop provides the flexibility that’s impossible with firework. Shortly put: Photoshop creates, fireworks delivers. From unique custom buttons, complete 3d interfaces, masked effects, design filters (which far exceed fireworks rudimentary ones), quality control and the like, if you can use Photoshop, you can always bring out an original concept, with detailed complex graphics, already optimized for fireworks to slice and export. And there’s no telling the possibilities one can do with flash and Photoshop, to that I testify: www.semeonline.com. Notice that the changing gradient background is IMPOSSIBLE to do in fireworks.

And to further stress my point, I’m currently working on a short feature movie using flash, to which Photoshop’s value is priceless. Its bound to come soon, so watch for it in the graphics section!

here's a web template I posted some time back. Everything below was in done in Photoshop.

I hope this steers web designers and graphic artists in the right direction

PS
Did anyone see the words “Corel Draw” in my article? Enough said

Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by my2cents(m): 4:33pm On Nov 14, 2006
So, are you implying that there are those who say PS is bad? I am a bit confused.

Not to spk for everyone, it could be such factors as - high cost, availability of opensource graphics programs, or even the fact that cos Mr A started in say Fireworks, therefore it must be good for Mr B - have made some pple come to such a conclusion.

I personally have been in the game since 1999 and have been using PS. I am aware of other programs like fireworks, but must confess that having used PS for such a long time, I am not about to switch boats now. By the way, all the places I have worked to date have all used PS. Does that mean PS is the best? Maybe. I am not a designer but again, all those whom I have worked with use PS.
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by smartsoft(m): 11:03am On Nov 15, 2006
So now what you also implying is that Fireworks can't do excatly as that web template you showing us  huh ? gv me some nairas and i will deliver exact web template using Fireworks,

PS is also good, but what works for you better,  might not be what will work for me,  another saying is another man's food is another man's Poison forget about those font u seeing there, they are font that you can download on the Internet
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by timmy(m): 12:51pm On Nov 15, 2006
mmmm,
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by WebMonk(m): 1:09pm On Nov 15, 2006
Nothing to get too carried away about. I'm not saying that PS is bad, I'm just saying i don't see many people use it , let alone well. And that photoshop is more flexible (design wise) than fireworks. The follwing should suffice though:

*There aren't much tutorials for Fireworks than Photoshop, although fireworks beats photoshop when it comes to integrated workflow (since almost everybody uses dreamweaver)

*besides, you can't use firworks to create Non-regular interfaces like photoshop

*Fireworks is easier to use (by far), and pretty good for making buttons, interface, and
sometimes layouts. But its not good for making abstracts and effects like the things most people make in photoshop

*photoshop is way more powerful in terms of bitmap images etc. but fireworks is the one of the best vector web based graphics program on the market today.

but don't take my word for it

As my2cents said, most of the people he's worked with since his days use photoshop, and even though he's uses the two, he isn't exactly going to start switching boats. There are loyalists on both sides, and i don't mind a mini war of some sort

We live in a world where people expect more (graphically speaking) and at the same time fast service. i can look at a site and tell outright whether they used fireworks or they used
photoshop before exporting to fireworks. they go together somehow, i just love photoshop more grin

But it was from your responses that i did a little diggin, and realised that this sort of
photoshop vs fireworks arguement is a very hot issue indeed. I think it wouldn't be a bad thing if i a brought a Photoshop vs Fireworks war, i'll just get credit for it. Everybody wins grin

And, concerning smartsoft creating a similar layout in Fireworks, lets see it. Mine barly took an hour or two, and to top it, i posted it free in this forum. I'm not bragging
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by qleyo(f): 12:08am On Nov 17, 2006
You've got it sooo twisted. Any real interactive designer would use illustrator or fireworks, mainly fireworks for digital design and illustrator for digital and print design. Illustrator is also faster than fireworks but I use fireworks more. Photoshop is an image editing application, period (fine its more versatile than that, but illustrator was designed for vectors not photoshop) - I work with people who have been in the design industry since 1987 (thats when our company was founded) and they ALL use illustrator. Frankly I don't see the point of this post.
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by Seun(m): 9:19am On Nov 17, 2006
In the first post you rambled on and on without making any point, despite the promising title. Shame.
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by WebMonk(m): 10:14am On Nov 18, 2006
i guess there really isn't much to say to it, is there? Prodgalson nailed it.
As for gleyo, the isssue was between fireworks and photoshop, illustrator is good, but i didn't recall emphasizing on it

And it's nice to see major people posting on the topic too.

Thnaks to all

PS: Why was the post relocated? And in another name?
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by Afam(m): 11:58am On Nov 18, 2006
Any good tool if mastered very well can be used to deliver very high quality jobs.

Otherwise, let those that believe that certain tools are better stake their money and point to a neutral work and let the proponents and opponents attempt to use their tools to replicate.
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by onydchic(f): 4:15pm On Nov 25, 2006
i dont know why people like turning every discussion into an ego thing or "but i think i know better so i must be right and your stupid" affair. Noone needs to know what decade anyone started doing what.
Personnallly, i use photoshop and its all ive evr used. but i use it with dreamweaver and the likes. i find it more felexible than fireworks anyway. it takes longer to master, true, but dats for a reason.
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by my2cents(m): 2:40am On Nov 27, 2006
onydchic,

Inasmuch as I don't like trumpet-blowing, there are times when it is necessary, especially when dealing with the "who does this guy/gal think he/she is? Just coming in here and talking crap. Don't they know I am a 'webmaster'?" type of pple. In other words, atimes it is necessary to put pple on their levels.

Even the meekest of individuals do blow their tops from time to time. Personally, I assume everyone I interact with is better than I am until they prove themselves otherwise (and blv me, this happens more often than you would think cool).

Personally, I don't see anything egotistical about any of the comments so far, but hey, thatz my opinion I guess. By telling me more about yourself, I will then determine the level of respect as far as the game goes, to give you. Also, by so doing, it also serves, at least to me, as a marketing tool. The less you tell pple, the less the biz u shd expect to get.

In the end, wetin I sabi sef? My 2 cents as always wink
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:54am On Nov 27, 2006
well i prefer fireworks as it integrates easily with dream weaver and flash but still somethings aren't possible on it yet and thats where PS comes in especially when it comes to lasso tool(PS) offers magnetic which fireworks doesn't. Well i hope to see features like that in fireworks since Adobe owns it now.
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by Bigjay(m): 10:58am On Dec 06, 2006
u must realy be proud of that design of urs.
Re: Web Design: Why Not Photoshop? by naijafan(m): 11:21am On Dec 06, 2006
thanks bigjay. that design is noting to rant about. . . not to talk of posting it as somethin that makes photoshop the best. was dissapointed after readin his post cos it was sort of pointless.

(1) (Reply)

Creating Mobile Version Of A Site! / Finally!!! Google Adsense Congratulate Me With Smile / Need Adsense? We Post For You, We Apply, We Get Approval, You Pay.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.