Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,520 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money (30666 Views)

APC Begs Senate To Approve Buhari’s $30bn Loan Request / What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? / Senate To Strip Buhari Of Power Of Assent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Badgers14: 6:40am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:
One thing you all need to understand is that... both lower and upper house that are doing check and balance are not competent enough let alone dissolving one chamber at a go..

my one cent...

For Presidential and Vice Posts: Minimum of Masters in any field + MBA.
For Governors: Minimum of Bsc + MBA
For Local Govt: Minimum of HND
For Council Chairmen: Minimum of OND
For Ministers: Minimum of PHD
For Senators and d likes : Minimum of MBA

These ppl must know what they are being sent to do na...
else, na rubbish anyone wey go there go dey do...

You forgot to add common sense to the mix grin grin grin

Indeed from my experience, I have hired and fired hundreds in my business... Some people have MBA and first class but they are just waste of space..
Common sense should be number one...Also humility goes a long way too

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by ajoskele(m): 6:41am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:
the issue is not with the senate,but the president tht has no WASC certificate,,,,,how can an illiterate be rulling a country with so many sound & educated graduates,msc holders,phd holders 7 professors.,,,we need to get rid of pmb as soon as possible.
You do NOT sound sound!
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Highbhee(m): 6:43am On Apr 20, 2016
Some pple are just daft:calling pub illiterate without wasc.....Wat had ph.d holder(gej)...Master holder (obj) done Dr ur since 1999....let just try d 1 u called illiterate

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by AlienStar: 6:45am On Apr 20, 2016
Some people don start govt tutorials up there! Nawa for Nigerians!
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by amtaken(f): 6:46am On Apr 20, 2016
Amen!

Fedayeen:
I will support banning illiterates without certificate from ever mounting the saddle of Presidency in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by PurpleHouse(m): 6:46am On Apr 20, 2016
Even if Nigeria should follow this path, who are the guys going to make/amend the decision? The same guys you're trying to scrap out of office? Trust me, it will never work here! Not with the tight-seated folks we have in Power?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by amtaken(f): 6:46am On Apr 20, 2016
Yes, we should copy the good ones.

VoteDemiladgold:
Even If Nigeria opts to dissolve its senate, I don't think the national assembly will be any more competent to handle federal issues.

But do you think Nigeria should continue to copy what others are doing here and there?
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Abbeyunique2(m): 6:47am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:
One thing you all need to understand is that... both lower and upper house that are doing check and balance are not competent enough let alone dissolving one chamber at a go..

my one cent...

Wrong mentality. MBA, phd doesnt gurantees good goverment. we all knw how the Prof. Vcs are running our universities. it's not about level of education, it is about level of common sense

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by baby124: 6:48am On Apr 20, 2016
I think it's high time states start paying for their reps out of state allocation. Shift the burden from the national purse. Afterall these reps were elected by their states. We also need to reduce NASS drastically.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Brimstone1: 6:49am On Apr 20, 2016
This economic crumble extends beyond Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:49am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:
the issue is not with the senate,but the president tht has no WASC certificate,,,,,how can an illiterate be rulling a country with so many sound & educated graduates,msc holders,phd holders 7 professors.,,,we need to get rid of pmb as soon as possible.
I want to guess, you're one of the educated people? Go work on your expression. Learn how to use punctuation marks. Write less in mnemonic, or do away with it completely. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by knowledge4(m): 6:50am On Apr 20, 2016
if democracy can operate in Senegal without a Senate, then what is Nigeria doing with a Senate,especially this money wasting Senate?
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by 989900: 6:50am On Apr 20, 2016
Sunnycliff:

If the Northerners attack you for this eeh?
You don't no that to them it's not by certificate
If the zombies can proudly say a Nepa certificate holder is what they want, what else is the need of all these additional degrees you earlier stated??
Good morning!

Diezani: Msc

NOI: PhD

Bankole: MA

Farouk: BA

GEJ: PhD

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Codedzng: 6:52am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:

Who U Epp?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nayok(m): 6:52am On Apr 20, 2016
If NASS is scrapped, how chukwudi and Co go take chop? grin
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Pamelayoung: 6:52am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:

my one cent...

No bi to get MBA be the issue na to defend am, cos many of them can buy d result that's why you see them behaving like touts.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by azeeza(f): 6:53am On Apr 20, 2016
I thought you are sensible!
Achuwa1:
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by mranova(m): 6:53am On Apr 20, 2016
#scrap Nigerian Senate, save trillions of Naira.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 6:53am On Apr 20, 2016
Joel3:
this is what we need in Nigeria. but we all knows it will never work. Senegal is a small country with a population is just 14 million people.

we have more population and more politicians in Nigeria. and the senate is what is been used to reward party faithfuls.

ORGANS OR ARMS OF GOVERNMENT

These are (a) Executive, (b) Legislature and (c) Judiciary

THE EXECUTIVE

It is in two forms (a) Parliamentary Executive and (b) Presidential Executive

FUNCTIONS OF EXECUTIVE

i. implementation of laws
ii. maintenance of law and order through police
iii. making of law through its power of delegated legislation
iv. it prepares budget
v. it oversees day to day running of the administration
vi. the chief executive signs bills into law
vii. it initiates bills into parliament

THE LEGISTLATURE
It is also known as parliament. Every country has its name for it, for example in nigiera, it is known as National Assembly

FUNCTIONS

i. its main function is law making
ii. it approves annual budget
iii. it give approval to nominees of chief executive
iv. ratification of treaty negotiated by the executive
v. it performs semi-judicial function in some countries
vi. it can carry out investigation on issue of public interest
vii. it performs enlightenment campaigns through its activities like debates

TYPE OF LEGISLATURE

(a) Bicameral Legislature
(b) Unicameral Legislature

BICAMERAL LEGISTLATURE
This refers to the legislature with two legislature chambers or houses e.g. Nigeria, U.S.A, and Britain etc.

REASONS/ ADVANTAGES
i. To check, delay and reverse any hasty legislation that would have been passed by a single house.
ii. Distinguished citizens can be nominated where possible for their wisdom and resources to be sapped.
iii. To prevent emergence of dictatorial government.
iv. In a nominated seconds house, the house can be non-partisan
v. It allows for efficiency as a result of sharing of works between the two houses
vi. In a federal system of government, the second house can be used to provide for sequel representation among states e.g. Nigeria senate.

PROBLEMS/ DISADVANTAGES

i. there May be rivalry between the two houses because of problem of power distribution
ii. it is a waste of resources and manpower
iii. the second house may be two conservative e.g Britain
iv. in a nominated second house, it may be seen to be undemocratic
v. it may bring delay in law making
vi. it is too expensive to run smoothly

UNICAMERAL LEGISLATURE

This refers to a legislature with a single legislative house e.g. Israel

ADVANTAGES

i. Quick law making process
ii. Absence of rivalry
iii. Less expensive to run
iv. Ideal for a unitary state.

DISADVANTAGES

i. Bills can be hastily passed
ii. It may not be appropriate for a federal system
iii. Legislature can easy dominate executive
iv. Doctorial regime can easily emerge
v. It make it easy for the dominant party to dominate the legislative

THE JUDICIARY

It is the arm of government that is responsible for interpretation of law and settlement of disputes.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JUDICIARY

i. it interprets laws
ii. it settles conflicts in the society
iii. it protect the right of individuals
iv. it protects the constitution from both executive and legislature

FEATURES OF THE JUDICIARY

i. Independent of both executive and legislature
ii. Professionalism – they are legal experts
iii. Stable tenure of office
iv. Judicial immunity in the course of performing their official duties
v. It operates based on laid down procedure
vi. It has laid down code of conduct

INDEPENDENCE OF THE JUDICIARY

It means judiciary should be free from the excessive control of the other two arms of government when carrying out its official duties

Thanks bro. You just schooled me.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Amazing4grace(m): 6:54am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:
get well soon
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Arosko(m): 6:55am On Apr 20, 2016
[quote author=Achuwa1 post=44837411]the issue is not with the senate,but the president tht has no WASC certificate,,,,,how can an illiterate be rulling a country with so many sound & educated graduates,msc holders,phd holders 7 professors.,,,we need to get rid of pmb as soon as possible. Ode man, what was the out come of your Phd holder president?
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 6:56am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:

my one cent...

lol... I think our universities where those u listed rule is worse than the cointry as a whole. The last word you hear in a university administration is accountability. A professor that used a rigged data because of non availability of equipment to obtain his PhD... Will concentrate on building perimeter fences instead of purchasing the same equipment he wished he had... I will rather we have a president with millitary experience...everybody should have a priviledge of serving in the millitary even if it is as a reserve. It is not coincidence that americans always adore veteran presidential candidate, prince William and his brother choice of joining the military is another example. Military breed discipline and patriotism...
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Pidggin(f): 6:59am On Apr 20, 2016
Actually the position of the president and vice should be scrapped for now
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by General2COAS(m): 7:00am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:

my one cent...

that of President should be a minimum of PHD in any discipline + at least a professional certificate in management & maximum monthly earnings shouldn't exceed #500,000 then see hw many would be running for such positions
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by princetom1(m): 7:00am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:

my one cent...

Really? In Nigeria where some holder aren't as good as some primary certificate holder. What is d essence of ur certificate without common sense? (legislators fighting). We should do away with this certificate sentiment, its killing alot of things. Its all about a person, PhD wount make u to be uncorrupt, in fact, its time we start apreciting ones talent instead of all these fake certificates.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 20, 2016
can we just nuke the NASS please and get rid of those parasites already.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Sunnycliff(m): 7:02am On Apr 20, 2016
989900:

Diezani: Msc
NOI: PhD
Bankole: MA
Farouk: BA
GEJ: PhD
Salisu Buhari: University of Toronto

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Dayoara: 7:02am On Apr 20, 2016
I wish its applicable here to in Nigeria,but i doubt it..now that our senates are on the verge of amending laws that would help them to loot freely.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by razzby(m): 7:02am On Apr 20, 2016
Nigeria has problem. You all are still talking about certificate, in the real sense how many people uses it? Whats the use of certificate when there is no job? I knw of someone who has masters but he is still illiterate because of the way he does and behaves? Having some1 with a masters or sumtyn doesnt guarantee he will rule better? If i could remember clearly jonathan had PHd, we all knw wat was happening!!!Nd so? what we need is a good leader who has sympathy and compassion..A leader who listens to the masses and damn all consequences. A leader who is devoted to the citizens!!!
I still think PMb tenure hasnt finished, lets look at what he has to offer before criticizing. This country has been damaged before he got dere, and dz fuel issue started before he got dere.He is just clearing the mess. Gbam!!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Has 99 Problems, But Twitter Not One Of Them - Fisayo Soyombo (Aljazeera) / Lai Mohammed Accuses Peter Obi Of Treason / GEN. ABUBAKAR KILLED MKO ABIOLA SAYS AL-MUSTAPHA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.