Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money (30665 Views)

APC Begs Senate To Approve Buhari’s $30bn Loan Request / What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? / Senate To Strip Buhari Of Power Of Assent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by emamos: 7:04am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:

It begins with you, I(Me), lalasticlala, seun and then everyone
2012 news on fp

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by vicnairaland: 7:05am On Apr 20, 2016
We don't actually need much education to acquire these leadership rolls. What we need is the heart to serve, skills,dedication and selflessness. Most fraudulent bank MDs and Ministry PS(Permanent Secretaries and ES( Executive Secretaries)in the past are the smart ones. They create loopholes in the system.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Sunnycliff(m): 7:05am On Apr 20, 2016
Fesomu:
Just give buhari military power

I thought you have something better to say! When he had military power what did he achieve?

A coward general who was ousted out of office without a second of resistance!
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by eDeity: 7:06am On Apr 20, 2016
I can bet with anybody that by next 20 years Senegal will more develop than Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by menxer: 7:07am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:
the issue is not with the senate,but the president tht has no WASC certificate,,,,,how can an illiterate be rulling a country with so many sound & educated graduates,msc holders,phd holders 7 professors.,,,we need to get rid of pmb as soon as possible.

Don't break your head over this, we had seen how a PhD holding President presided over the affairs of Nigeria, let's see how a "certificate-less" president will fare.

Having a PhD does not bestow the political will to get things done.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Misterdhee1(m): 7:09am On Apr 20, 2016
Nigeria should do the same ke? Our government system is too sophisticated to try it..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 7:09am On Apr 20, 2016
It will never, ever, happen in Nigeria.....but it is a good idea.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by blackpanda: 7:10am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:
the issue is not with the senate,but the president tht has no WASC certificate,,,,,how can an illiterate be rulling a country with so many sound & educated graduates,msc holders,phd holders 7 professors.,,,we need to get rid of pmb as soon as possible.

I thot we have gone passed this foolishness. How do u get into the army and ascend up to becoming a general without certificate. You this wailers need brain reboot asap!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 7:10am On Apr 20, 2016
eDeity:
I can bet with anybody that by next 20 years Senegal will more develop than Nigeria.

Depends. Development is not necessarily based on selling raw materials and sharing the money...which is what most African countries do.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Deen77: 7:11am On Apr 20, 2016
I have been saying this for years, democracy is too expensive to run. We can design our own system by removing the Senate and make use of d house of representatives to save cost.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by omobaekiti: 7:12am On Apr 20, 2016
we all are jumping in without full understanding of what the article said.The Senate over there are mostly not elected but nominated by the President so they are more like our ministerial nominee with a different job portfolio, they still have their lawmakers oh.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by ihesiuloa(m): 7:16am On Apr 20, 2016
I hope naija government will follow suite.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Deen77: 7:16am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:

But we vote out PHD.

Let me tell you, in military Buhari certificate is equal to your PHD, military is field.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by YUSUPH1986(m): 7:17am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:
and with all the professors and doctors in a university has it translate to better management? Whether u like it or not dats a God given leader for this era, and we are with him, what was d difference gej brought to the fore?
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by AirFireEarthH20: 7:17am On Apr 20, 2016
PurpleHouse:
Even if Nigeria should follow this path, who are the guys going to make/amend the decision? The same guys you're trying to scrap out of office? Trust me, it will never work here! Not with the tight-seated folks we have in Power?

That is the problem my brother. Those who drafted the 1999 constitution during General Abubakar regime were not sincere. How can we have a constitution without provision for a referendum?

Assuming a referendum exist in our constitution, we would have subjected some of these problems that exist in our country today to the populace to decide. Even the presidential system of government we are practicing where elections are conducted every four years and the president having over forty ministers and ministers in turn having retinue of aides paid by the govt is far too expensive for a developing country like Nigeria.

I'm very very surprised why the south, (s/west, S/east and Niger Delta), with their level of education, cannot clamour for a referendum be included in the constitution through the constitutional amendments processes that had taken place since democracy was restored in 1999. this country done tire me

modified: THE MEDIA IS OUR PROBLEM, IF SARAKI DIDN'T DISOBEY TINUBU AND PARTY LEADERS BY CONTESTING THE SENATE PRESIDENT'S POSITION, NOBODY WILL REMEMBER TO PUT THIS ON FRONT PAGE
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by coolplanet: 7:22am On Apr 20, 2016
Joel3:
this is what we need in Nigeria. but we all knows it will never work. Senegal is a small country with a population is just 14 million people.

we have more population and more politicians in Nigeria. and the senate is what is been used to reward party faithfuls.

ORGANS OR ARMS OF GOVERNMENT

These are (a) Executive, (b) Legislature and (c) Judiciary

THE EXECUTIVE

It is in two forms (a) Parliamentary Executive and (b) Presidential Executive

FUNCTIONS OF EXECUTIVE

i. implementation of laws
ii. maintenance of law and order through police
iii. making of law through its power of delegated legislation
iv. it prepares budget
v. it oversees day to day running of the administration
vi. the chief executive signs bills into law
vii. it initiates bills into parliament

THE LEGISTLATURE
It is also known as parliament. Every country has its name for it, for example in nigiera, it is known as National Assembly

FUNCTIONS

i. its main function is law making
ii. it approves annual budget
iii. it give approval to nominees of chief executive
iv. ratification of treaty negotiated by the executive
v. it performs semi-judicial function in some countries
vi. it can carry out investigation on issue of public interest
vii. it performs enlightenment campaigns through its activities like debates

TYPE OF LEGISLATURE

(a) Bicameral Legislature
(b) Unicameral Legislature

BICAMERAL LEGISTLATURE
This refers to the legislature with two legislature chambers or houses e.g. Nigeria, U.S.A, and Britain etc.

REASONS/ ADVANTAGES
i. To check, delay and reverse any hasty legislation that would have been passed by a single house.
ii. Distinguished citizens can be nominated where possible for their wisdom and resources to be sapped.
iii. To prevent emergence of dictatorial government.
iv. In a nominated seconds house, the house can be non-partisan
v. It allows for efficiency as a result of sharing of works between the two houses
vi. In a federal system of government, the second house can be used to provide for sequel representation among states e.g. Nigeria senate.

PROBLEMS/ DISADVANTAGES

i. there May be rivalry between the two houses because of problem of power distribution
ii. it is a waste of resources and manpower
iii. the second house may be two conservative e.g Britain
iv. in a nominated second house, it may be seen to be undemocratic
v. it may bring delay in law making
vi. it is too expensive to run smoothly

UNICAMERAL LEGISLATURE

This refers to a legislature with a single legislative house e.g. Israel

ADVANTAGES

i. Quick law making process
ii. Absence of rivalry
iii. Less expensive to run
iv. Ideal for a unitary state.

DISADVANTAGES

i. Bills can be hastily passed
ii. It may not be appropriate for a federal system
iii. Legislature can easy dominate executive
iv. Doctorial regime can easily emerge
v. It make it easy for the dominant party to dominate the legislative

THE JUDICIARY

It is the arm of government that is responsible for interpretation of law and settlement of disputes.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JUDICIARY

i. it interprets laws
ii. it settles conflicts in the society
iii. it protect the right of individuals
iv. it protects the constitution from both executive and legislature

FEATURES OF THE JUDICIARY

i. Independent of both executive and legislature
ii. Professionalism – they are legal experts
iii. Stable tenure of office
iv. Judicial immunity in the course of performing their official duties
v. It operates based on laid down procedure
vi. It has laid down code of conduct

INDEPENDENCE OF THE JUDICIARY

It means judiciary should be free from the excessive control of the other two arms of government when carrying out its official duties

AGBO GOES TO SCHOOL.LOL
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Controversialad: 7:24am On Apr 20, 2016
I wish my country can learn
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by ibietela2(m): 7:25am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:
One thing you all need to understand is that... both lower and upper house that are doing check and balance are not competent enough let alone dissolving one chamber at a go..

my one cent...

For Presidential and Vice Posts: Minimum of Masters in any field + MBA.
For Governors: Minimum of Bsc + MBA
For Local Govt: Minimum of HND
For Council Chairmen: Minimum of OND
For Ministers: Minimum of PHD
For Senators and d likes : Minimum of MBA

These ppl must know what they are being sent to do na...
else, na rubbish anyone wey go there go dey do...

Not everyone that has degrees have sense....
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by DjAduba(m): 7:25am On Apr 20, 2016
Fedayeen:
I will support banning illiterates without certificate from ever mounting the saddle of Presidency in Nigeria

Vote refiner for Miss Nairaland.

www.nairaland.com/refiner
Well! I can still remember when we gave ur uncle (Mr Hero) Aso Rock he uses his PhD on corruption and stealing to kill our treasury, so after Sunday he embracement we choose to substitute him with a low cert. candidate to take us back to our formal point.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by TheProphetess(f): 7:26am On Apr 20, 2016
Instead of removing the senate let us reduce their salary to 500k per month. If and only if they start performing well wil we increase to maybe 1Mil.
I can't be living in a country where a common senator is making more that US president and they still steal on top of that. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by ElCapone(m): 7:28am On Apr 20, 2016
Fedayeen:
I will support banning illiterates without certificate from ever mounting the saddle of Presidency in Nigeria

sharrrap and get urself a job. We talking abt senatorz yet u cldnt keep bubu out of it.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by razzberries: 7:28am On Apr 20, 2016
Fedayeen:

A lot of our senators and house members have Toronto certificates, what do we do about them since they have a certificate
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by cardoctor(m): 7:31am On Apr 20, 2016
Senegal. What a poor country. Nigeria just spent N3.6 billion to buy just cars for the senate. NIGERIA IS "STINKING" RICH.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by alobright17(m): 7:36am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:
So Obama is more educated for him to rule U.S.A?
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Ramanto(m): 7:37am On Apr 20, 2016
Fedayeen:

You Just Ruined Her Chance.
She Better Looks For A More Objective Person To Chair Her Campaign.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by d33types: 7:37am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:
One thing you all need to understand is that... both lower and upper house that are doing check and balance are not competent enough let alone dissolving one chamber at a go..

my one cent...

Everything isn't about business and MBA. Various positions are better suited for technocrats such as ministry heads.. Lawmaking is even better suited to LLB than MBA...
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by 9jatatafo(m): 7:39am On Apr 20, 2016
We need only 6 senators and 6 house of reps each senator and house of rep member to represent each geopolitical zone or 36 senators and 36 house of rep members representing each state and cancel all ministers of states. Eliminate all special advisers

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by TrumpDonald(m): 7:39am On Apr 20, 2016
VoteDemiladgold:
Even If Nigeria opts to dissolve its senate, I don't think the national assembly will be any more competent to handle federal issues.

But do you think Nigeria should continue to copy what others are doing here and there?

Yes dear...so long as its worth copying and beneficial to d citizenry.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by popsonbj: 7:39am On Apr 20, 2016
Achuwa1:

My guy, it would be appropriate if you can answer
these two questions.
1."Who is an illiterate?"
2.''Does certificatelessness amount to illiteracy?''
If you can not answer the above questions adequately
it means you are the illiterate because from your comment
Buhari who according to you is '' without to a certificate'' is far
better than you with a PHD in the school of common sense.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by anonimi: 7:39am On Apr 20, 2016
Keneking:
Amazing decision....Saraki, Orji, Obi, Akpabio, Oduah, Dino, others would never allow this undecided

Will/Can Buhari lead the way to cutting costs instead of being a HYPOCRITE

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2856745_france1_jpegbcac12e5182a39792bfe884c7ba4f4fd

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2534006_bac_jpegc61aa2b5c36e6eaed9536f13d8712e19

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3484910_20160311201901_jpeg3212cea02ee0dec365d0abd007f3cf6f

GMB‬ Speech While Addressing Nigeria Community In The United Kingdom.

I Will Maintain a modest lifestyle as President -Muhammadu Buhari.

“One of the major killers of our economy apart from corruption is waste. Our scarce resources are being plundered away very carelessly and unnecessarily wasted. Let me give an instance, presently, there are more than 6 aircraft in the presidential fleet. What do you call that? Billions of naira is budgeted every year for the maintenance of these aircraft not to talk of operational cost and other expenses.

You may want to ask what a Nigerian President is doing with so many aircraft when a Prime Minister of Britain fly around using the same public aircraft like an ordinary Briton.

Go and check and compare with that of any developed country in the world, the office of the Nigerian President is a very expensive one inspite our high level of poverty, lack and joblessness. Despite all these, you still find a Nigerian Minister spending about N10billion to charter an aircraft for just one year. Now, for me, when we come into office, all these waste will be blocked and properly channelled into our economy. We intend for instance, to bring back our National carrier, the Nigerian airways. [size=14pt]We shall do this by bringing all the aircraft in the presidential fleet into the Nigerian airways[/size] and within a year increase the fleet into about 20.

More from: http://www.osundefender.org/?p=217159
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by wirinet(m): 7:40am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:

my one cent...

You must be a degree holder with an MBA , that is why you advocate for people with your qualifications only to aspire tor the highest political positions in the land. What of people with OND, HND, Post graduate diploma and other diplomas, they should not aspire to serve their country as president or governor? You are saying they should not be hire in top management positions.
What concerns MBA with political office? I even thought you will say Political science, Social studies or even history.

There is no direct correlation between political, business or social success with the type of academic degree. We have had many successful politicians and entrepreneurs and other people without university degrees.
Here is a list of US presidents without university degrees;

George Washington (The death of his father ended Washington's formal schooling; however, he believed strongly in formal education. In his will, he left money and/or stocks to support three educational institutions.[1])
Andrew Jackson
Martin Van Buren
William Henry Harrison (attended college but never received a degree)
Zachary Taylor
Millard Fillmore (founded the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York)
Abraham Lincoln (had only about a year of formal schooling of any kind)
Andrew Johnson
Grover Cleveland
William McKinley (attended Allegheny College (did not graduate) and Albany Law School (did not graduate)
Harry S. Truman (went to business college and law school but did not receive a degree)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_by_education

Even in the area of business, over half of the world's richest men are without university degrees.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Has 99 Problems, But Twitter Not One Of Them - Fisayo Soyombo (Aljazeera) / Lai Mohammed Accuses Peter Obi Of Treason / GEN. ABUBAKAR KILLED MKO ABIOLA SAYS AL-MUSTAPHA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.