Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? (2980 Views)

"Why Masturbation Was The Biggest Sin For Me To Overcome" / Is It A Sin For Christian Couples To Have Sex On Sunday Before Going To Church ? / Is It Right For A Christian To Eat The Moslem Ram During This Celebration? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by DANO1011(m): 6:38pm On Apr 19, 2016
Is no longer news that this topic has brought much debate in different religious society.
Some doctors recommend masturbation as an ease for stress, a relieve for a sexual starvation and a better way of controling STD, but what does the Christian world has to say about this?, is it right to masturbate
Your comment please
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Fayvhur(f): 7:06pm On Apr 19, 2016
Masturbation doesn't have anything to do with religion......
In fact religion shouldn't be yhur dictating factor in yhur sex life......

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by DANO1011(m): 7:14pm On Apr 19, 2016
Fayvhur:
Masturbation doesn't have anything to do with religion......

In fact religion shouldn't be yhur dictating factor in yhur sex life......
I'm born in a religious home, is hard to adopt to your facts cause of my conscience. But thanks alot for your idea.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 19, 2016
When one masturbate, he
- sins against mankind ( sins against his own body)
-sins against God ( God hates sexual perversion)
-sins against posterity ( life giving seed is being wasted, the soul who should have been brought to life is wasted. Who knows? He would have contributed to developing our world.

I used to be sexual perversed until a deliverance minister told me that all I have been doing in secret places God knows. He told me of all my sexual perversion and I couldn't deny it.

If it wasn't a sin, why will God ask me to desist from it?.
What about the guilt after the act?.
Why do it in private??.

Because one MOG said it is not a sin, so many deluded Christians think its not.

God hate sexual perversion. It is sexual lust that leads to sexual perversion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by DANO1011(m): 8:41pm On Apr 19, 2016
Daninya11:
When one masturbate, he
-sins against posterity ( life giving seed is being wasted, the soul who should have been brought to life is wasted. Who knows? He would have contributed to developing our world.

I used to be sexual perversed until a deliverance minister told me that all I have been doing in secret places God knows. He told me of all my sexual perversion and I couldn't deny it.

Why do it in private??.

Because one MOG said it is not a sin, so many deluded Christians think its not.

thanks alot. May God help us all.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Fayvhur(f): 9:37pm On Apr 19, 2016
DANO1011:
I'm born in a religious home, is hard to adopt to your facts cause of my conscience. But thanks alot for your idea.

no problem
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by lepasharon(f): 12:33am On Apr 20, 2016
Why does Jesus care so much about what ppl do with their genitals but innocent kids starve death?

5 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon11: 3:42am On Apr 20, 2016
Hey sister, actually Masturbation has nothing to do with Jesus. Masturbation is demon worship and doing it whether knowingly or not summons the demons and gives them legal entry into your life. Its
lepasharon:
Why does Jesus care so much about what ppl do with their genitals but innocent kids starve death?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon11: 3:45am On Apr 20, 2016
if only people were discerning and knew the dangers of masturbation.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by lepasharon(f): 11:11am On Apr 27, 2016
Amberon11:
Hey sister, actually Masturbation has nothing to do with Jesus. Masturbation is demon worship and doing it whether knowingly or not summons the demons and gives them legal entry into your life. Its

Doesn't Jesus watch ppl masturbate and dislike them for doing so? Demon worship? How

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by rahman3853(m): 11:23am On Apr 27, 2016
come on ppl, masturbatn is an outrite sin, the lord says he dat luks a woman 2ice has comitd sin, y? bkos he has comitd sin in his heart via imaginatn,coverteousnes n adulter/fornicatn. d bible also states dat out of d man hearts sins comes. most of d time, dis masturbatn proces makes d person av an imaginary partner, created in d mind, making d sexual arousal, hence comiting sin of d heart. pls note dat watsoeva a man does physicaly, he has already cook it up in his heart. dats y apostle paul states we shud avoid sin n guide our thoughts (mind).
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon11: 11:38am On Apr 27, 2016
If you're going to say something you don't know at least do so with reasoning.

Jesus doesnt "dislike" anybody and masturbation doesn't have nothing to do with Jesus and everything to do with Satan.
lepasharon:

Doesn't Jesus watch ppl masturbate and dislike them for doing so? Demon worship? How
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by promise101: 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2016
Amberon11:
What a lie!!!!

There is NO sin termed as demon worship, stop lying, you anti-christ(grace) preacher with a lying tongue!

PLEASE STOP GRADING SIN AND GIVING THEM RANKS. IT IS A CHARACTER OF A HYPOCRITICAL, PHARISEE CHRISTIAN!!!!!

Everytime, you would say that masturbation is a demon worship. Of course, I agree with you 100%.

But, why don't you see subtle deceptions, gossip, hypocrisy, doubt, anger, slightest form of disobedience, greed, covetousness, selfishness, hatred, jesting(filthy) words, not honouring the gathering of the saints, not reading your bible, as demon worship and why can't these little ones give, your so-called legal entry, to the devil in to your life? Or is it only masturbation that does that?

You think that you can deceive everybody?

"You can deceive everybody SOMETIMES, you can deceive some people ALL THE TIME, but you can NEVER deceive EVERYBODY ALL THE TIME"
#foodforthought#

No wonder why you said that john hagee is you favourite preacher!

ALL SINS one commits, whether "big", "small", "deliberate", "undeliberate", "insignificant" or "significant" should be termed as DEMONIC WORSHIP!!!!

And I think by that, you will be guilty of what you are preaching, and condemning people for!!
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by promise101: 2:20pm On Apr 27, 2016
Amberon11:
if only people were discerning and knew the dangers of masturbation.
What about people like you who knows that they are NOT sinless perfect, is there no danger for not being sinless perfect by right living?

You better wake up and stop giving sin ranks.

What about those little mistakes you still fall back to? Since you once said you are not sinless perfect.

Are they not demon worship? Can't they endanger your life?

I just hate seeing people with the veil of moses, on their eyes, on this NL.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by promise101: 2:28pm On Apr 27, 2016
Amberon11:

Jesus doesnt "dislike" anybody and masturbation doesn't have nothing to do with Jesus and everything to do with Satan.
I agree with you on this.

But you should know as well that every sin, especially the ones you refer to as mistakes, has to do with satan also.

NOTE: I CONDEMN masturbation, because it a sin, but to give answers to questions like this, you have to view sin without grading it, just the way God does it. In this way, you don't suppose to give the sin of masturbation the name you gave it, because if it were something like, sin of anger you will not give it such a name, rather you may consider it as a usual sin, which is injustice.

And it is a character of a pharisee christian!
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Peritus(m): 4:31pm On Apr 27, 2016
My dear beg the Spirit of God to open your eyes. Masturbation does not start and end with the act. There are lots of attendant spiritual undertones. Need i say that it opens a door way to several sexual perversions. You cant walk in the spirit and masturbate, never.
Again, stop reposing your hope on pastors, no matter how good or spiritually firm you think they are. Bible is there as your guide. It is time when you need no church to interpret/teach you the Bible because the Spirit of God has been made free for all. He teaches us the truth, helps us in the areas of our infirmities (weaknesses) and intercedes for us in groaning that cannot be uttered. Many pastors embellish falsehood with a good percentage of truth, and they believe in the falsehood. This is the beginning of erroneous doctrines many churches teach. If you masturbate, just ask for the grace of God, make sure you are fully repentant of all sin and ready to serve Him.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by ifenes(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2016
Obviously yes. As that is the rules set for Christians.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by lepasharon(f): 9:07pm On Apr 27, 2016
Amberon11:

Does Jesus want ppl to masturbate?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon: 4:11am On Apr 28, 2016
I think you have a hypocritical nature. Whenever people say the truth, you go about giving them names like Pharisees.

Know this, the sin of sexual immorality is given particular emphasis in the bible. Yes! the bible says "flee sexual immorality, every other sin a man commits is outside his body" but this sin is sin against your body (temple of God).

If you read my earlier comment you see where I said that mastirbation has "everything to do with Satan" and nothing to do with Jesus.
promise101:

I agree with you on this.

But you should know as well that every sin, especially the ones you refer to as mistakes, has to do with satan also.

NOTE: I CONDEMN masturbation, because it a sin, but to give answers to questions like this, you have to view sin without grading it, just the way God does it. In this way, you don't suppose to give the sin of masturbation the name you gave it, because if it were something like, sin of anger you will not give it such a name, rather you may consider it as a usual sin, which is injustice.

And it is a character of a pharisee christian!
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon: 4:21am On Apr 28, 2016
Remember I told you I'm opening a special thread for you, I haven't forgotten, I've just being too busy.

Your problem is that you're a wolf in sheep clothing. You hate hearing the truth of Gods words and have taken to false doctrines its no news as the bible predicted that such yes will come.

Listen, you're nothing but a hypocrite! You practice selective blindness when it comes to the bible. You leave out all the verses taught to desist from sin and preach the perveted grace gospel just like your mentor Pastor Chris that said that masturbation and abortion are not sins.

You call them pastors, but they're the mordern day Antichrists. How can a supposed "pastor" say such when the bible outrightly condemns even lust of the heart.

I don't have your time now. I have a busy schedule.

promise101:

What about people like you who knows that they are NOT sinless perfect, is there no danger for not being sinless perfect by right living?

You better wake up and stop giving sin ranks.

What about those little mistakes you still fall back to? Since you once said you are not sinless perfect.

Are they not demon worship? Can't they endanger your life?

I just hate seeing people with the veil of moses, on their eyes, on this NL.

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon: 4:26am On Apr 28, 2016
unfortunately, Antichrists like promise101 have taken heed to false doctrines and are leading many to hell. Buy the day of reckoning is nigh!
rahman3853:
come on ppl, masturbatn is an outrite sin, the lord says he dat luks a woman 2ice has comitd sin, y? bkos he has comitd sin in his heart via imaginatn,coverteousnes n adulter/fornicatn. d bible also states dat out of d man hearts sins comes. most of d time, dis masturbatn proces makes d person av an imaginary partner, created in d mind, making d sexual arousal, hence comiting sin of d heart. pls note dat watsoeva a man does physicaly, he has already cook it up in his heart. dats y apostle paul states we shud avoid sin n guide our thoughts (mind).

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon: 4:34am On Apr 28, 2016
That MOG is no other than pastor Chris Oyakhilome himself. Such erroneous teaching. There is no moral justification for that. That masturbatation is not a sin? heck! That same man also made a controversial statement about abortion.

MOG indeed.
Daninya11:
When one masturbate, he

Why do it in private??.

Because one MOG said it is not a sin , so many deluded Christians think its not.

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon: 4:41am On Apr 28, 2016
This was the same time thing I said.

Grace perverts like promise101 need this message.

Stop reposing your hope on the teachings of Pastor Joseph Prince and Pastor Chris, they won't save you. Without holiness and righteousness nobody will get into heaven.

Peritus:
My dear beg the Spirit of God to open your eyes. Masturbation does not start and end with the act. There are lots of attendant spiritual undertones. Need i say that it opens a door way to several sexual perversions. [/b]You cant walk in the spirit and masturbate, never.
[b] Again, stop reposing your hope on pastors, no matter how good or spiritually firm you think they are.
Bible is there as your guide. It is time when you need no church to interpret/teach you the Bible because the Spirit of God has been made free for all. He teaches us the truth, helps us in the areas of our infirmities (weaknesses) and intercedes for us in groaning that cannot be uttered. Many pastors embellish falsehood with a good percentage of truth, and they believe in the falsehood. This is the beginning of erroneous doctrines many churches teach. If you masturbate, just ask for the grace of God, make sure you are fully repentant of all sin and ready to serve Him.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by cloudgoddess(f): 6:22am On Apr 28, 2016
So according to Christianity touching your own genitals is a sin but owning slaves is not.

It's hard to imagine how any sound-minded person can fail to see the incongruency & nonsensicality of such values. But, that is the power of indoctrination. It saps people dry of their reasoning faculties.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by DANO1011(m): 7:32am On Apr 28, 2016
cloudgoddess:
So according to Christianity touching your own genitals is a sin but owning slaves is not.

It's hard to imagine how any sound-minded person can fail to see the incongruency & nonsensicality of such values. But, that is the power of indoctrination. It saps people dry of their reasoning faculties.
is not about touching your genitals, is all about the thoughts that comes with it!
And about owning slaves is not a sin, where did you get that facts from?, cause it sounds opposite to the doctrine of Christianity which ranks every man equal before God!
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by promise101: 8:24am On Apr 28, 2016
Amberon:
I think you have a hypocritical nature. Whenever people say the truth, you go about giving them names like Pharisees.

Know this, the sin of sexual immorality is given particular emphasis in the bible. Yes! the bible says "flee sexual immorality, every other sin a man commits is outside his body" but this sin is sin against your body (temple of God).

If you read my earlier comment you see where I said that mastirbation has "everything to do with Satan" and nothing to do with Jesus.
The bible calling a sexual immorality, is correctn because it has to do with sexual part. Period!

I NEVER said that masturbation, has nothing to do satan or that masturbation is not a demon worship. But I am also saying that every sin you see as a mistake, which you know you often a times fall into should be viewed the way you view masturbation.

Which means, if masturbation is a demon worship to you, then subtle deception, mistaken lies, anger, self hatred, fear, doubt, should also be a demon worship to you. Because, ALL SINS ARE EQUAL!

My problem with you, is you SPECIFICALLY calling masturbation a demon worship. Who taught you that? Where did you get that name for?

Yes, of course! Right from the day I knew you, you are like the pharisee. That's why you have the mentality to give masturbation, such a specific name.

NOTE: I am on the fact that masturbation is a sin, but should be viewed the same way we view the slightest sinful mistake we commit.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by promise101: 9:06am On Apr 28, 2016
Amberon:
Remember I told you I'm opening a special thread for you, I haven't forgotten, I've just being too busy.

Your problem is that you're a wolf in sheep clothing. You hate hearing the truth of Gods words and have taken to false doctrines its no news as the bible predicted that such yes will come.

Listen, you're nothing but a hypocrite! You practice selective blindness when it comes to the bible. You leave out all the verses taught to desist from sin and preach the perveted grace gospel just like your mentor Pastor Chris that said that masturbation and abortion are not sins.

You call them pastors, but they're the mordern day Antichrists. How can a supposed "pastor" say such when the bible outrightly condemns even lust of the heart.

I don't have your time now. I have a busy schedule.

The bible made it clear that the DEVIL is the ACCUSSER of the brethen(justified).

But, now the devil cannot appear to us to accuse us, rather he uses his HUMAN vessels. First of all, Amberon, stop allowing the devil to use you, you accused me, and I will point it out, to show that you are the devil's agent in human flesh.

Amberon, I am PATIENTLY waiting for the thread, so you can be EXPOSED the more!! All to the glory of God!

Whatever the case maybe, I will really be happy if you start the thread, because it is going to be a very explosive good means to throw than you preachers of the demonic, anti-christic, satanic and heretic gospel of WORK-BASED SALVATION(lordship salvation).

ACCUSATION 1: "You hate hearing the truth of Gods words and have taken to false doctrines "

What is the false doctrine I have been preaching? The message of the cross which gave humanity the gift of no condemnation?

ACCUSATION 2: "you're nothing but a hypocrite!"

What is the hypocrisy I have done? Fighting against you when you condemn people for the same sin you are guilty of? THIS A PROUD PROOF OF A PHARISEE!!!!!!!

ACCUSATIONn 3: "You leave out all the verses taught to desist from sin and preach the perveted grace gospel just like your mentor Pastor Chris that said that masturbation and abortion are not sins. "

I leave out the verses that taught to desist from sin? So in other words, I encourage sin? So, because I preach faith alone which the bible supported for the RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD, and works which is ONLY required before men, which can make one ACCURSED when relied on to be righteous before God; so by that I encourage sin?

What gain do you have to tell people the gospel that can make them accursed before God, but will make them look righteous before men?

I preach a grace perverted gospel? Because I refused you to deceive people, and make them accursed with you by accepting your gospel of demons(work based salvation) which you are preaching?

ACCUSATION 4: "....just like your mentor Pastor Chris..."

Who told you that my mentor is pastor chris?

ACCUSATION 5: "....that said that masturbation and abortion are not sins. "

So, where you haven't proved that pastor chris is my mentor, you have indirectly concluded that I support masturbation and abortion? And that I don't consider them as sin?

Where have I ever supported sin? If yes, point out!

So when Jesus DEFENDED the woman of adulterer, he supported adultery?

When Jesus ATE with Zacheous, he supported his mischievous behaviour?

When Jesus didn't CONDEMN with woman of samaria(a prostitute), he supported prostitution?

When Jesus justified a criminal at the cross, he supported criminal acts?

When Jesus didn't condemn the woman that poured an expensive oil on his feet, Jesus supported wastage?

You are just a funny devilish accuser!

Oh, thank you Jesus!

Lord, I pray you give Amberon the grace to start out the new thread and also help her generate a CORROSIVE FALSE HEADLINE for the thread. IJN, AMEEN!!!!!!!
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by Amberon: 9:13am On Apr 28, 2016
Does your father want you to lead an unsuccessful life??
lepasharon:

Does Jesus want ppl to masturbate?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by promise101: 10:32am On Apr 28, 2016
Amberon:
Happily waiting for the thread.

*smiling* grin
Amberon:
Happily waiting for the thread.

*smiling*
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by promise101: 11:05am On Apr 28, 2016
Amberon:
This was the same time thing I said.

Grace perverts like promise101 need this message.

Stop reposing your hope on the teachings of Pastor Joseph Prince and Pastor Chris, they won't save you. Without holiness and righteousness nobody will get into heaven.

Joseph prince and chris, has no teaching of themselves, rather they preach the cross!!!!

You called me a grace pervert?
Please, quote any scripture to prove that!

I wouldn't have talked to you, if you are not accursed!

Gal 3:10; "For all who depend on the Law [seeking justification and salvation by OBEDIENCE TO THE LAW(right living) and the observance of rituals] are under a CURSE; for it is written, “CURSED (condemned to destruction) IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, SO AS TO PRACTICE THEM.”

When you commit those your mistaken sins that makes you imperfect, are you in the spirit.

The accusations I listed above are lie, were you in the spirit when you wrote them?

What is the difference between the sin of lying which you committed and the sin of masturbation?

YOU ARE A PHARISEE!!!!

One main character of a pharisee christians is this;

PHARISEES CHRISTIANS DON'T MINGLE WITH SINFUL PEOPLE, RATHER THEY CONDEMN THEM FOR THE SAME SINLESS IMPERFECTIONS THEY ARE GUILTY OF.

The Pharisees said to Jesus disciples, "Why is your Teacher eating with sinners?" (Matthew 9:11).

Pharisees will mingle only with their own crowd of "holy" Pharisees. They criticised even Jesus for mingling with sinners. Is your holiness one that prevents you from mingling with your unconverted relatives? It is true that we can find fellowship only with God's children. But we can be friendly with all.
Jesus was known as the "Friend of sinners". If you want to be like Jesus, YOU MUST BE A FRIEND OF SINNERS.

A Pharisee will not attend the wedding reception of an unconverted relative, because he feels he will be polluted thereby. Jesus however would have gladly attended an unconverted relative's wedding reception. He went to the homes of sinners, where they probably had dancing and drinking going on.

He would share the gospel with those sinners. Contact with them didn't defile Him because His righteousness was inward. It is true that He spent most of His time with His disciples. But He spent a lot of time talking to sinful people. HOW CAN WE WIN SINNERS TO THE LORD IF WE ARE NOT FRIENDLY WITH THEM?
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by cloudgoddess(f): 1:59pm On Apr 28, 2016
DANO1011:
is not about touching your genitals, is all about the thoughts that comes with it!
And about owning slaves is not a sin, where did you get that facts from?, cause it sounds opposite to the doctrine of Christianity which ranks every man equal before God!
In other words, thinking of other human beings sexually, while touching your genitals, is a sin, while slavery is not. That makes it better? (By the way, it is very possible to masturbate without imagining any other person.)

Masturbation is a natural biological function that even children, chimpanzees, & bonobos have been examined doing. It's a healthy signal of puberty. It makes absolutely no sense to consider such a natural aspect of human sexuality as something worthy of an eternity in hell. Especially, as I said before, when things like slavery, the stoning of children & women, and mass genocide, go uncondemned in the bible. Here are just a few instances of the first.

Leviticus Chapter 25, verse 44:
"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Exodus Chapter 21, verse 1:
"Now these are the ordinances which you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,' then his master shall bring him to God, and he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him for life."

Leviticus Chapter 22, verse 10:
"No one outside a priest's family may eat the sacred offering, nor may the guest of a priest or his hired worker eat it. But if a priest buys a slave with money, or if a slave is born in his household, that slave may eat his food."

The reason you did not know that slavery is uncondemned, and even glorified/encouraged by your own holy text, is because it is common practice for Christians (& Muslims, but I'll stay on topic) to CHERRYPICK - choose the portions of the text that support a certain perception of their religion that is culturally or personally acceptable to them, and ignore all of the questionable, inaccurate, or inhumane parts in the text. Pastors are the leaders of this cherry-picking practice.

If you want to really get to know your religion, read the entire book, cover to cover, with as much of an unbiased, objective lens as you can muster. Then see for yourself if you still think it's the pinnacle of human guidance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Masturbate? by DANO1011(m): 2:36pm On Apr 28, 2016
cloudgoddess:

In other words, thinking of other human beings sexually, while touching your genitals, is a sin, while slavery is not. That makes it better? (By the way, it is very possible to masturbate without imagining any other person.)

Masturbation is a natural biological function that even children, chimpanzees, & bonobos have been examined doing. It's a healthy signal of puberty. It makes absolutely no sense to consider such a natural aspect of human sexuality as something worthy of an eternity in hell. Especially, as I said before, when things like slavery, the stoning of children & women, and mass genocide, go uncondemned in the bible. Here are just a few instances of the first.

The reason you did not know that slavery is uncondemned, and even glorified/encouraged by your own holy text, is because it is common practice for Christians (& Muslims, but I'll stay on topic) to CHERRYPICK - choose the portions of the text that support a certain perception of their religion that is culturally or personally acceptable to them, and ignore all of the questionable, inaccurate, or inhumane parts in the text. Pastors are the leaders of this cherry-picking practice.

If you want to really get to know your religion, read the entire book, cover to cover, with as much of an unbiased, objective lens as you can muster. Then see for yourself if you still think it's the pinnacle of human guidance.
lol... I must say, you are a good Bible reader, but you never wished to understand it.
Let me take time to explain this to you.......
There is a tendency to look at slavery as something of the past. But it is estimated that there are today over 27 million people in the world who are subject to slavery: forced labor, sex trade, inheritable property, etc. As those who have been redeemed from the slavery of sin, followers of Jesus Christ should be the foremost champions of ending human slavery in the world today. The question arises, though, why does the Bible not speak out strongly against slavery? Why does the Bible, in fact, seem to support the practice of human slavery?
The Bible does not specifically condemn the practice of slavery. It gives instructions on how slaves should be treated (Deuteronomy 15:12-15 ;
Ephesians 6:9 ; Colossians 4:1 ), but does not outlaw slavery altogether. Many see this as the Bible condoning all forms of slavery. What many fail to understand is that slavery in biblical times was very different from the slavery that was practiced in the past few centuries in many parts of the world. The slavery in the Bible was not based exclusively on race. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was based more on economics; it was a matter of social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their families. In New Testament times, sometimes doctors, lawyers, and even politicians were slaves of someone else. Some people actually chose to be slaves so as to have all their needs provided for by their masters.
The slavery of the past few centuries was often based exclusively on skin color. In the United States, many black people were considered slaves because of their nationality; many slave owners truly believed black people to be inferior human beings. The Bible condemns race-based slavery in that it teaches that all men are created by God and made in His image (Genesis 1:27 ). At the same time, the Old Testament did allow for economic-based slavery and regulated it. The key issue is that the slavery the Bible allowed for in no way resembled the racial slavery that plagued our world in the past few centuries.
In addition, both the Old and New Testaments condemn the practice of “man-stealing,” which is what happened in Africa in the 19th century. Africans were rounded up by slave-hunters, who sold them to slave-traders, who brought them to the New World to work on plantations and farms. This practice is abhorrent to God. In fact, the penalty for such a crime in the Mosaic Law was death: “Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death” (Exodus 21:16 ). Similarly, in the New Testament, slave-traders are listed among those who are “ungodly and sinful” and are in the same category as those who kill their fathers or mothers, murderers, adulterers and perverts, and liars and perjurers (1 Timothy 1:8–10 ).
Another crucial point is that the purpose of the Bible is to point the way to salvation, not to reform society. The Bible often approaches issues from the inside out. If a person experiences the love, mercy, and grace of God by receiving His salvation, God will reform his soul, changing the way he thinks and acts. A person who has experienced God’s gift of salvation and freedom from the slavery of sin, as God reforms his soul, will realize that enslaving another human being is wrong. He will see, with Paul, that a slave can be “a brother in the Lord” (Philemon 1:16 ). A person who has truly experienced God’s grace will in turn be gracious towards others. That would be the Bible’s prescription for ending slavery.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opm Pastor And David Ibeyeome @ Logger Heads? / Was Exodus Pharoah Really A Bad Man? / Christ Embassy Strategy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.