Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,584 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos (19727 Views)

Strawberry Seed For Sale / Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Farmpride: 7:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
A year ago a reporter traced a community where strawberry is grown in commercial quantity. Some readers were surprised to know that the fruit grows here in Nigeria,as was I.
One year after, the reporter returned to the community to see what changes have occurred, what new technology has been brought into the farming of the crop; and whether the product’s marketing challenges have been solved.
Apparently the strawberry farming, which until recently, is not a common practice here in Nigeria, is now the most important produce that shapes the economy of the people of Chaha, where almost every adult has a strawberry farm. Chaha seems to have huge potentials for strawberry, coffee and other fruit trees, as a visit to the community convinces one.
With the cold weather that characterizes the highland of Plateau State, the ground favors the production of strawberry, which has now been domesticated in the village since 2001.
The fruit has the potentials to breed new generations of millionaires in Chaha if access to market is broadened, because the farmers are between the ages of 20 to 35.

However finding buyers is an issue, most harvest about 600kg weekly, but end up selling 400kg because they have to give ‘Jara’(an extra on the quantity bought) to the women buying.
“We don’t just know where else to sell this product ,but we are told that the demand is high in some places in Nigeria. Most of our farmers here have not traveled outside Plateau State,” a farmer noted.
Sadly most of the big malls in the country are import the product, while these farmers don’t have where to sell theirs.
Strawberry has enormous health benefits to humans. It has been used in a medicinal context to help people with digestive ailments, teeth whitening and skin irritations.
Experts said strawberry provides good source of vitamins C and K as well as providing a good dose of fiber, folic acid, manganese and potassium, strawberries provide high amounts of vitamin C.

http://www.farmpridenatural.com/2016/03/25/strawberry-farming-crippled-jos/

8 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by jaksabbey(m): 8:08pm On Apr 19, 2016
Abegi, ewo lo kanmi mbe

For the first time.......

Jst that I don't gbadun dis issue of berry jaree

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by adenine02: 8:09pm On Apr 19, 2016
9ice
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by oluwafreshkid(m): 8:09pm On Apr 19, 2016
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by parzdor(m): 8:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
Plateau the beautiful among all 36 i love my state and the beautiful pple

15 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by wilsonbright: 8:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
Wonderful

2 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by thefakestan: 8:11pm On Apr 19, 2016
Well the berries look nice

They should think of processing.

ThefakeStan

1 Like

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by elmisti(m): 8:12pm On Apr 19, 2016
Seriously?.....thts cool!

2 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Mortiano(m): 8:12pm On Apr 19, 2016
I would have been d first to comment on this story but

All these peoples dat commented beforee me, dia is good; when will i be d first to comment at least let me join small boys n girls in fighting for first to comment because those kind things they sweet me; i remember when i was still in primary school; we normally rush and clamb for whom will be d first to finish to finish; sometimes i have to skip some sentences and paragraph inorder to shout i finished first. At the end ur note will have no meaning

2 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by chyckxx(m): 8:13pm On Apr 19, 2016
I'll start up mine, soon.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by emtee22: 8:14pm On Apr 19, 2016
i love berries... especially black berries grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by elitejosef: 8:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
Packaging is all they need

1 Like

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by bebe2(f): 8:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hmmm

Strawberry and cream

My kids love it to pieces
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
Yo'heard
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by agabaI23(m): 8:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
Wow
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by amtaken(f): 8:17pm On Apr 19, 2016
I wanna buy.

Farmpride:
A year ago a reporter traced a community where strawberry is grown in commercial quantity. Some readers were surprised to know that the fruit grows here in Nigeria,as was I.
One year after, the reporter returned to the community to see what changes have occurred, what new technology has been brought into the farming of the crop; and whether the product’s marketing challenges have been solved.
Apparently the strawberry farming, which until recently, is not a common practice here in Nigeria, is now the most important produce that shapes the economy of the people of Chaha, where almost every adult has a strawberry farm. Chaha seems to have huge potentials for strawberry, coffee and other fruit trees, as a visit to the community convinces one.
With the cold weather that characterizes the highland of Plateau State, the ground favors the production of strawberry, which has now been domesticated in the village since 2001.
The fruit has the potentials to breed new generations of millionaires in Chaha if access to market is broadened, because the farmers are between the ages of 20 to 35.

However finding buyers is an issue, most harvest about 600kg weekly, but end up selling 400kg because they have to give ‘Jara’(an extra on the quantity bought) to the women buying.
“We don’t just know where else to sell this product ,but we are told that the demand is high in some places in Nigeria. Most of our farmers here have not traveled outside Plateau State,” a farmer noted.
Sadly most of the big malls in the country are import the product, while these farmers don’t have where to sell theirs.
Strawberry has enormous health benefits to humans. It has been used in a medicinal context to help people with digestive ailments, teeth whitening and skin irritations.
Experts said strawberry provides good source of vitamins C and K as well as providing a good dose of fiber, folic acid, manganese and potassium, strawberries provide high amounts of vitamin C.

1 Like

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by gurunlocker: 8:18pm On Apr 19, 2016
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by amtaken(f): 8:18pm On Apr 19, 2016
Start a strawberry manufacturing business.

Farmpride:

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by uvalued(m): 8:19pm On Apr 19, 2016
biz idea
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Ablitmuspaper(m): 8:19pm On Apr 19, 2016
strawberry? undecidedstrawberry?
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Ebay14(m): 8:20pm On Apr 19, 2016
Good to hear
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by kraftykc(m): 8:21pm On Apr 19, 2016
Lol. I am so on this case ehn...
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by UnibenPilot: 8:24pm On Apr 19, 2016
We need this in uniben. uniben aspirants, check my signature smiley
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by jojothaiv(m): 8:25pm On Apr 19, 2016
jaksabbey:
Abegi, ewo lo kanmi mbe

For the first time.......

Jst that I don't gbadun dis issue of berry jaree
Noted, just in case you come back lati so wipe e consign u...
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by HoldenCaulfield(m): 8:26pm On Apr 19, 2016
North is naija's future believe it or not
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Nobody: 8:26pm On Apr 19, 2016
emtee22:
i love berries... especially black berries grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by mayorkyzo: 8:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
So sad,and shoprite and other big departmental stores import this same fruit...we need policies to encourage companies buying made in nigeria,and also the farmers and suppliers need to package well...it's all about packaging...

2 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Mckandre(m): 8:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
Sign of end time
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by malton: 8:29pm On Apr 19, 2016
How I've missed having those. kiss
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 19, 2016
Serious, this thing is practically sold so cheaply at Mararaban Jama and Railway in Jos..
Government need to tap into this

1 Like

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 8:30pm On Apr 19, 2016
How does it taste plz.. embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by bbmoringa: 8:34pm On Apr 19, 2016
if i can hav enof info,i can arrange how the products can easily get to other part of nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Professional Training And Capacity Building In Commercial Snail Farming & Export / Poultry Workers Bury Eggs To Steal Them (Video) / Official Launching Of Niger Star Rice (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.