Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,011,248 members, 7,360,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 March 2023 at 04:29 PM
Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 (8786 Views)
Redeemer’s University Expels Actor Macaroni Over His Activities On Social Media / ASUU Bans UNILORIN From Academic And Non-Academic Activities / Unilag Protest Update: Academic Activities Suspended Indefinitely (2) (3) (4)
|UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by Nobody: 4:47am On Apr 23, 2016|
Weeks after the University of Lagos (UNILAG) closed down due to a strike by the students over their living conditions.
The University Senate at its emergency meeting held today Friday, April 22, directed that the institution should resume full academic activities on Monday, May 2, 2016, with examinations commencing the week after.
Students however have to adhere to the few conditions stated on their website.
Read whats on their website below:-
‘Visit the University website www.unilag.edu.ng and download the Undertaking and Indemnity Form.
· Students are to complete the Undertaking Form and get it notarized.
· Parents and Guardians are to complete the Parents Indemnity Form.
· Completed Undertaking Form which must be notarized and Parent’s Indemnity Form should be submitted at the various Departments and a clearance obtained. The clearance would be required to gain access into examination halls.
· Students accommodated in halls of residence are to obtain a clearance from the Departmental Officer which must be presented at the halls of residence to gain access into their rooms from Monday, May 2, 2016.
· Students are expected to visit the University website from Friday, April 22, 2016 and complete the clearance process on or before Monday, May 2, 2016.
· Examinations would commence from Monday, May 9, 2016. Consequently, students are expected to generate their examination dockets and ensure it is duly endorsed by their Course Advisers between Monday, April 25 and Monday, May 2, 2016.
· No student would be readmitted without completing the above process.
– The University would endeavour to provide electricity in the various halls of residence between the hours of 7.00 pm and 7.00 am daily. The boreholes in the hostels would continue to provide water supply to the hostels until normal supply from the Lagos State Water Corporation resumes.
– Examination commences on Monday, May 9, 2016. Students are to confirm their examination time-table from the various Faculties/Departments.”
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by chimah3(m): 6:31am On Apr 23, 2016|
Are you sure they want to resume?
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by spartacuz: 6:32am On Apr 23, 2016|
Okay! So how much is bread now?? Good for us.
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by Nobody: 6:33am On Apr 23, 2016|
Private hostels is the answer.
Or fees get raised.
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by pinpinkay: 6:35am On Apr 23, 2016|
diz is bad .. ulsu excos dissolved ... i regret being a unilag student nw .....niqqaz wil do overnyt till exam ends
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by wisehuman156(m): 6:37am On Apr 23, 2016|
This is what you get when you demand for your rights in Nigeria! It's a pity
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by sinaj(f): 6:40am On Apr 23, 2016|
Theirs is better o! They should call us back m tired alredi
The exam should b 2wks after the clearance na
One will start running around like a fresher in this scorching weather in the nme of clearance
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by Richnero(m): 6:45am On Apr 23, 2016|
Good news to those concerned.
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by alabi484(m): 6:48am On Apr 23, 2016|
My friend in unilag don complain die
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by IrradiatoR: 6:49am On Apr 23, 2016|
signing undertaken here and there, even one's parent ain't left out. . .
where there is no law, there is no SIN
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by Genea(f): 6:54am On Apr 23, 2016|
Those Unilag haters will come here and be hating now, foolish Vc and DR karo shud well done.. They never had the interest of students before in their mind....
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by GoldenJAT(m): 6:57am On Apr 23, 2016|
make the students sef.... ask the management 2 sign undertaking.... if dem no gree,d strike, abi na protest shud continue
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by SKAMM(m): 7:02am On Apr 23, 2016|
Uniport is definitely gonna pick a thing or two from this before they resume academic activities...
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by atoleybaba(m): 7:03am On Apr 23, 2016|
Ulsu lasted for 4months in UNILAG!! Great
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by fowowea1(m): 7:04am On Apr 23, 2016|
chimah3:no ooo, we want to farm... mumu question
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by teekrackz(m): 7:08am On Apr 23, 2016|
Which semester r dey sef?
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by pinkiberry(m): 7:13am On Apr 23, 2016|
Imsu is still on strike. Rochas should pls do something. it's very bad. meanwhile he is busy building his new private university. I tire for naija.
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by chimah3(m): 7:19am On Apr 23, 2016|
Then just answer 'yes' as required of the question. Student
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by Lahotte(m): 7:24am On Apr 23, 2016|
make aaua call us back too na...
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by oluwanoni: 7:25am On Apr 23, 2016|
Wow....1 week for exams preparation... I hope I don't smell another strike...
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by missuniverse(f): 7:27am On Apr 23, 2016|
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by banme1(m): 7:29am On Apr 23, 2016|
Is it by force to attend the university.
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by tennyson10: 7:49am On Apr 23, 2016|
Stupid school...forcing us to swear an oath before resuming school....abi when did UNILAG turn to Covenant?
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by SweetieConstie(f): 7:51am On Apr 23, 2016|
Very good.. Thank God the issue has been resolved!
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by Sheikwonder(m): 7:54am On Apr 23, 2016|
In as much as resuming school activities is good, I believe the conditions set by the school are harsh and only goes to show that the school authorities are trying to punish students for legitimately carrying out a largely peaceful protest.
For UNILAG students out there, take cognizance of the following before signing any undertaking:
1. ULSU has been suspended. This means that there is no unified body to fight for students rights.
2. Signing the undertaking effectively means signing away any right to complain about any form of injustice meted out by the school.
3. Despite the outcry caused by the protest, the VC never even came out once to offer a word to his students. You can be sure that he doesn't give ratshyte about the students.
4. So you want to rush to write exams, but ask yourself this: Exams are starting May 9, students are being ask to get different documents signed and approved in the week just prior to exam, what time have you got to prepare?
5. Still on the issue of exams, like it or not some students will have missing results. Signing that form means that nobody has your back, you can't challenge the school authorities because after all, you signed away your rights.
6. Students have right to demand for better conditions when things aren't ok. Are the students being punished for asking for improved conditions?
7. Who do you report to when the school decides to hike school fees because believe it or not, it will happen. When that time comes, remember you signed away your rights to complain.
8. The school authorities have in the past shown gross negligence and mismanagement. Remember that girl who was electrocuted? Remember that lecturer who had sex with a jambite in the vain hope of securing admission? It will happen again, and you won't be able to do anything, because you signed away your rights.
9. UNILAG has a reputation for being a party party school, why not for once change that image? Quietly refuse to sign away your rights. If done in solidarity, they can't expel all students.
10. The sad fact is that some people will still rush to sign, they will still fail to see the implications of what they are doing. Maybe when they get a missing result and no one has their back, or when a lecturer makes sexual advances to them and they are forced to do something disgraceful, maybe only then will they understand my point, only that by that time it would be too late.... Too late!!!
Be smart, be wise.... Don't sign away your rights!
15 Likes 1 Share
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by SolomonAdeola: 8:13am On Apr 23, 2016|
These are unjust conditions.
How do you expect students to be running around a week to exams signing some nonsense undertakings.
Smh for our education sha.
I think NANS shld speak for them
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by ayo4dworld(m): 8:26am On Apr 23, 2016|
Is it 2weeks they want to use for lectures.. The serious ones amongst them will scale through
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by tobex23(m): 8:28am On Apr 23, 2016|
This is just stupidity and wickedness on the part of the school!
This undertaking form is a slave contract, and ULSU dissolved means any form of treatment we get from the school, we can't do anything about it!!!
This is a federal school not some private uni, why is Rahman Bello heartless!
The SUG didn't do anything bad to warrant being suspended, I urge any akokite on here, not to sign that shii, yet! At least not yet, till we are sure nothing can be done.
Meanwhile the reason we protested and stayed home for two weeks hasn't been treated fully! Is it too much to ask the school!
We wish to sympathize with everyone on the recent homicide on our Human rights. The school has decided to kill the students' voice. They have suspended the Union. We sympathize.
There are certain issues that however need to be addressed. But first, we acknowledge that we all want to resume. We promised that we'll bring everyone back to school. And that's what we did but not on terms and conditions...definitely not an Indemnity form! As the management did not communicate with the UNION at all to deliberate or discuss the students' welfare. We would NEVER agree to such.
But was anyone expelled? Were you suspended? Was there any notice to the effect that the closure of the school meant suspension of all students; or would "suspension of all academic activities" be tantamount to "suspension of all students"? Obviously you'll agree that the answers to these questions are in the negative. Capital NO!!!
So why should we sign a form to be readmitted? Don't you smell a rat? Don't you feel there might be more to the situation than we see?
Why is the Union suspended? For staging a peaceful protest? Why has the school been spreading false accusations against the Union before now? Why did they subvert a truce process to a panel? Doesn't it send a signal of impending doom? We believe as rational human beings, you understand beyond the surface!
So we beseech the generality of the student populace to watch before they leap. Signing the form will be detrimental to your sublime existence on campus as a student. Your voice would be lost forever! Porters! Security officials! Promiscuous lecturers! Cab men!!! Shuttle drivers!!! All such uncircumcised Philistines will now have an avenue to trample on your rights as they so wish. And you won't be able to do nothing. Remember you've undertaken to abide by the rules and regulations, no matter how inhumane they might be!!!
¤ Water issue = Unresolved
¤ Electricity = Unresolved
¤ Hike in commodity prices = Unresolved
¤ Prerequisite courses = Unresolved
¤ More ambulances = Unresolved
¤ Sodeinde hall = Unresolved
¤ All reasons for our peaceful protest = None is yet to be resolved.
The voice of reasoning should overshadow our fear, else we'll live to witness its ripple effects on our wards!!
The Union though suspended is working out something. Please keep calm until and stay vigilant. Further correspondence would be made to you.
Let's be wise.
ALL STUDENT LEADERS
6 Likes 1 Share
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by halfricanadian(f): 9:03am On Apr 23, 2016|
Awwwwww and exams jump in
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by emekakelvin(m): 9:04am On Apr 23, 2016|
hmmm, students have to sign an undertaken to be re-absorbed into the school
|Re: UNILAG Set To Resume Academic Activities On May 2nd,2016 by shiimah: 9:05am On Apr 23, 2016|
I wish Universities can be like that of 70s and 80s and even 90s when SUG was more adored in every institutions of learning, when they attend to the needs of the students and stand by it and no intimidation can scare them away.
I keep saying it, Nothing comes easy but since gaining admission into University is as easy as.... As long as you can afford some amount of money or you have someone in school or highly placed who can give you admission, kids started flooding into Universities(chaii) without knowing the true meaning of the word 'University', it became a child's play.
Our education is in shambles, Great Ife of the Old, Lions and Lioness of UNN of 80s, Premier UI of the old, UNIlag of 80s cannot and I repeat can never be intimidated the way Unilag just intimidated her students.
May God continue to help and Bless Us. Thanks
List Of Nigerian Polytechnics that did not join Asup Strike. / Rsust Post Ume Result Is Out (buy N500 Card From The School) / JAMB 2011/2012 (private Registration) AND ASSISTANCE Via SMS
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2023 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148