Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter (49458 Views)

35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! / 9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / How To Increase Your Vocabulary Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 25, 2016
khalhokage:

1. That
It's superfluous most of the time. Open any document you've got drafted on your desktop, and find a sentence with "that" in it. Read it out loud. Now read it again without "that." If the sentence works without it, delete it. Also? Don't use "that" when you refer to people. "I have several friends that live in the neighborhood." No. No, you don't. You have friends who . Not friends that.

I beg to disagree here. "who" is singular while "that" rightly serves as an "identifier adjective" for plurality of persons. I am not a professor but you are wrong here.

E.g. Here is the man, who defied the odds...
E.g. We reserved the funds for persons that are homeless.

ckchurchyll
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by starlingbawa(m): 11:28am On Apr 25, 2016
great664:

Thanks my brother but the inferiority complex won't make us adopt it.

Communication is complete when the Receiver can decode what has been encoded by the sender, So why make it a great deal of using a pattern or law (grammar)

English is the only language that break its rule and won't be jailed.

Overrated Language and evolving Language

I Love Pidgin, Deutsch, Spanish.

The funny thing is, YOU just wrote in simple, plain and concise English (Deep down i know you like the fact that you can write well. Everyone does).

Now my question is, Would you be satisfied if your wards can't write and speak simple English? Considering the fact you think/feel English is 'Overrated'
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by starlingbawa(m): 11:36am On Apr 25, 2016
HaneefahRN:
So we should start speaking and writing like Patrick Obahiagbon.
All those words have their use and meaning. I should go and measure a tree instead of saying , it's a very tall tree. What's sounding less smart about saying 'I went to school' as compared with 'I walked to school'?

Honestly, this write up didn't really make sense tongue

On the contrary, it made a lot of sense!

Have a great day...
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by starlingbawa(m): 11:39am On Apr 25, 2016
menxer:

Though this is a misplaced topic, I am of the same opinion.

We are deceived with the portion of the Bible that talks about a man being a husband of one wife, forgetting that it was specifically addressing a certain group of men, those that aspired for the office of the bishop. (1 Timothy 3:1)

Meaning, If one has no such aspirations, one has no business limiting oneself to one wife thereby depriving other women of sharing in the joy. grin

And our women so indoctrinated builds a fantasy of it, that is at variance with reality of living.

This write up got me thinking......... I like it nonetheless!!! grin

1 Like

Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by menxer: 12:43pm On Apr 25, 2016
DarryOsh:

If everybody begins to marry two wives, I think there will be wife scarcity. Almost all over the world, the male/birth ratio stands around 50-50. In fact, in Nigeria, at birth it is about 51-49 in favour of males. But as they age, the number drops (men don't live as long as women cos they take more risks, drive more, more involved in military, violence, hardwork, vices etc.)

In the olden days, it may have been OK for men to marry many wives since the women outnumberd men. Most societies required men to join the army and many died in wars (like in biblical times).

Today, I don't think it's really not really husband scarcity we experience. rather, I think it's spouse scarcity. Our society is a lot more tolerant of single men. Bachelors go unnoticed. The women are not so lucky.

From your analysis, it means at say age 30-40, women out number men, which still leaves a large pool of potential wives in spinster-hood.

Are our ladies tolerant of themselves approaching 40 and still single?

How often do you find men in churches gather to pray for a life partner like women do?

As the OP, rightly pointed out, sometimes our ladies have (too) high expectations of what their "ideal husband" should be, thereby limiting the options of "real husbands" available to them (women).
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by HaneefahRN(f): 12:49pm On Apr 25, 2016
starlingbawa:

On the contrary, it made a lot of sense!
Have a great day...
Your opinion tongue.
You too
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by christisreal: 1:23pm On Apr 25, 2016
Ok
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by ramalot(m): 3:06pm On Apr 25, 2016
khalhokage:

lol, why so much anger at me? did I sleep with your girlfriend? am I your stepfather? are you the original owner of the work? nawa o! grin

You think plagiarism is a damn joke, don't you?
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by khalhokage(m): 3:11pm On Apr 25, 2016
ramalot:

You think plagiarism is a damn joke, don't you?

Oh please! spare me your hypocritical self righteousness, you're pissed off for some other reason not because I didn't include a source.
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by DarryOsh(m): 4:27pm On Apr 25, 2016
menxer:

From your analysis, it means at say age 30-40, women out number men, which still leaves a large pool of potential wives in spinster-hood.

Are our ladies tolerant of themselves approaching 40 and still single?

How often do you find men in churches gather to pray for a life partner like women do?

As the OP, rightly pointed out, sometimes our ladies have (too) high expectations of what their "ideal husband" should be, thereby limiting the options of "real husbands" available to them (women).

No. according to the chart below, the population of Nigerian females only begins to lead that of males from about age 50. http://www.indexmundi.com/nigeria/age_structure.html

My point is this: for every unmarried female aged 30 - 40, there is a corresponding unmarried male. But because out society is less tolerant of unmarried women versus unmarried men, nobody talks about the unmarried men. And that explains why the unmarried women "gather in church to pray for life partner". Our society puts pressure on them.

Maybe there are other valid points in favour of polygamy, but 'population of men vs women' does not support that argument because women are not more than men.

1 Like

Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by brixton: 4:50pm On Apr 25, 2016
G
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by menxer: 5:35pm On Apr 25, 2016
DarryOsh:

No. according to the chart below, the population of Nigerian females only begins to lead that of males from about age 50. http://www.indexmundi.com/nigeria/age_structure.html

My point is this: for every unmarried female aged 30 - 40, there is a corresponding unmarried male. But because out society is less tolerant of unmarried women versus unmarried men, nobody talks about the unmarried men. And that explains why the unmarried women "gather in church to pray for life partner". Our society puts pressure on them.

Maybe there are other valid points in favour of polygamy, but 'population of men vs women' does not support that argument because women are not more than men.

The bolded is true since (wo)man is not mere statistics, and those "valid points" won't be palatable to some people.

Thanks for the statistics.
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by DarryOsh(m): 5:51pm On Apr 25, 2016
menxer:

The bolded is true since (wo)man is not mere statistics, and those "valid points" won't be palatable to some people.

Thanks for the statistics.
Lol. Actually, I struggle to think of a good argument in favour of polygamy. I think it has some dire consequences. I'll be happy to hear your views though

1 Like

Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by menxer: 6:43pm On Apr 25, 2016
DarryOsh:

Lol. Actually, I struggle to think of a good argument in favour of polygamy. I think it has some dire consequences. I'll be happy to hear your views though

hahahahaha

since the "Word of God" is a double edged sword, the only valid argument quoted in favour of monogamy is 1 Timothy 3:1 and is equally the only valid argument in favour of polygamy. grin

come to think of it, who wrote 1 Timothy, was it Jesus? Nope.

Saul/Paul, a man schooled in law, a pharisee of the pharisees. since "the spirit of a prophet is subject to the prophet", we can infer that the spirit of his upbringing and training and observance of the law (pharisee-ism) colored his inspiration.

Did Jesus condemn reincarnation in the person of John the baptist? Nope
Did Jesus condemn the woman caught in adultery? Nope
Do you think Jesus condemned Polygamy in his time? Nope

hahahahhahahahhahaha

if Jesus condemned polygamy, Abraham, Jacob, King David, king Solomon, etc stand condemned and what would that make of Christianity?
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by christhavemercy(f): 7:13pm On Apr 25, 2016
matrix199:
When all those words are eliminated from the vocabulary, what's left?!
sugar
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by ramalot(m): 9:35pm On Apr 25, 2016
khalhokage:

Oh please! spare me your hypocritical self righteousness, you're pissed off for some other reason not because I didn't include a source.

I'm pissed off because I have another leech like yourself in Nigeria plagiarizing my content and earning off of it. He is currently being served legal papers and will be a very sorry sob shortly.

I'm pissed because the complacency toward issues of plagiarism and copyright by people in Nigeria is appalling, and people like yourself drive that.

1 Like

Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by Lawstudent: 9:40pm On Apr 25, 2016
Please you can use "that" for human beings too. Wrong for you yo say it's bad usage.
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by Lawstudent: 9:40pm On Apr 25, 2016
Please you can use "that" for human beings too. Wrong for you you say it's bad usage.
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by vchykp(m): 12:19am On Apr 26, 2016
English is not the problem we have in nigeria, its over forming that leads to most of this common mistakes... #sincerely#lolx#
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by khalhokage(m): 5:32am On Apr 26, 2016
ramalot:

I'm pissed off because I have another leech like yourself in Nigeria plagiarizing my content and earning off of it. He is currently being served legal papers and will be a very sorry sob shortly.

I'm pissed because the complacency toward issues of plagiarism and copyright by people in Nigeria is appalling, and people like yourself drive that.

Let me give you an advice, if you're trying to get a message across to someone, don't include personal insults, it makes them adamant, I may have been willing to discourse but seeing as I don't like getting insulted, I won't say anything else to you, this conversation is over.
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2016
Awesome article. I tried one of the guidelines and noticed changes immediately. Following the thread so I can easily reference it as I build repertoire in English.
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by great664(m): 6:56pm On Apr 27, 2016
starlingbawa:

The funny thing is, YOU just wrote in simple, plain and concise English (Deep down i know you like the fact that you can write well. Everyone does).

Now my question is, Would you be satisfied if your wards can't write and speak simple English? Considering the fact you think/feel English is 'Overrated'

I wrote in English because I was taught in English. If we make our Pidgin our main language, such that the Media, Government, schools and society at large will use it without discrimination just like I'm Jamaica, Cuba, Barbados etc then my children will learn how to write and speak it without discrimination or shame

If you wanna learn English then that's for your benefit, just like Spanish people learn it too
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by elvision1(m): 8:16pm On May 08, 2016
bro THAT which you wrote up there,HONESTLY has got alot of THINGS wrong with it some of which I would VERY much like to point out;
there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with saying " i WENT to school" or wherever I chose to go. especially if its a situation I would REALLY want to be conservative with my words and not JUST reveal too much details.
and then really sad is not depression,so they should NEVER be interchanged, but rather ALWAYS sad is depression. MAYBE you should have given this a lot of thought.

well IRREGARDLESS of the aim of this whole write up,isn't it AMAZING that I LITERALLY made sense of your christened none-sense STUFF
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 18, 2016
I learned the removal of 'that' in my grammar construction gives a more direct relation to the subject e.g. "The man that" is now "The man whom", "the cat that" is now "the cat which". My sentences are now more spontaneous than ever and force the use of a wider array of vocabulary. Thanks for the tips.

1 Like

Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by lilliesboy(m): 12:18am On Nov 28, 2017
And what's the point with the unnecessary "question marks" (?) you put in between your sentences? Go sit down for road!
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by khalhokage(m): 7:35am On Nov 28, 2017
lilliesboy:
And what's the point with the unnecessary "question marks" (?) you put in between your sentences? Go sit down for road!

Stop being a little shịt, they're formatting errors.
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by lilliesboy(m): 1:56am On Nov 29, 2017
khalhokage:

Stop being a little shịt, they're formatting errors.
You, your papa and mama are human waste products!
Re: 15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter by khalhokage(m): 6:59am On Nov 29, 2017
lilliesboy:
You, your papa and mama are human waste products!
lol, you're a child.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Secondary School Throwback: How True Is This? (PHOTO) / ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Rejects N50m Raised By Berekete Family / 10 Causes Of Poor Academic Performance In School – Most Students Never Admit #8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.