Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC (8454 Views)

Access Bank To Pay N53.47 Billion For 75% Of Intercontinental Bank / Intercontinental Bank And Access Bank Merge? / What Is The Swift Code And Routing Number For Intercontinental Bank Plc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by abbeygee(m): 5:28pm On Aug 10, 2009
Honestly, intercontinental is just like dat, dey extort alot,do u know dey charge 50box on dia own ATM on every withdrawal apart 4m the mandatory 100box per month, I GOT D SAME TEXT AND I WENT DIA ON HEARING D NEWS OF 500 bucks I JST BROKE THE CARD AND LEFT,
DATS WOT DEY DESERVE OOOOOOOOOO
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Aproko(f): 5:33pm On Aug 10, 2009
this thread is soooo funny the venom from kpofkpof kept me lmao  grin grin cheesy grin

but having said that, i work in a bank and maintain accounts in other banks as well. some of the charges we pass to customers are unnecessary, there are other ways of making money off the public. really, there are 24 banks, if you dont like 1, try the other 23. i was forced to open an account with intercontinental bank, when i observed that my account officer couldn't service my needs like i wanted, i took all my small change and moved to Diamond bank and opened HIDA account quietly. for me, its all about the best deal. no need to shout from the roof top , if 1 no give you, believe me by the time you count to 23, you would have found a bank that meets your needs, nigerian banks are not that bad now ,
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by kpofkpof: 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2009
Aproko:

this thread is soooo funny the venom from kpofkpof kept me lmao  grin grin cheesy grin

but having said that, i work in a bank and maintain accounts in other banks as well. some of the charges we pass to customers are unnecessary, there are other ways of making money off the public. really, there are 24 banks, if you dont like 1, try the other 23. i was forced to open an account with intercontinental bank, when i observed that my account officer couldn't service my needs like i wanted, i took all my small change and moved to Diamond bank and opened HIDA account quietly. for me, its all about the best deal. no need to shout from the roof top , if 1 no give you, believe me by the time you count to 23, you would have found a bank that meets your needs, nigerian banks are not that bad now ,

Thank you jare!!!

where is the original initiator of this thread, he seems to have vanished into thin air.

Anyway, hi everyone hope we are still friends?
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Chuckdee(m): 9:55pm On Aug 10, 2009
kpofkpof:

Thank you jare!!!

where is the original initiator of this thread, he seems to have vanished into thin air.

When I first came across this tread, your response to the original poster and others was soo harsh and i disagreed with most of your points too, then the tone was something else. Well, I am glad i read thru this far and I am soo impressed with the way you sincerely apologized, I mean this world needs much much people like you. All your sins are soo forgiven my dear wink
And yes, You are still my good Friend!!! grin
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by biolabee(m): 10:52pm On Aug 10, 2009
@kpofy
can i see the pix of ur cheeks grin

the vehemence of ur posts belies the sweet nature of ur name but its nice you took out thr time to expatiate ur view
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by magragold(m): 11:02pm On Aug 10, 2009
Beyond cards, Intercontinental Bank charges N50.00 per ATM withdrawals for holders of their ATM cards. When they were replacing my ATM card that was expired but I was yet to request for a new one, I saw a SMS alert informing me that my account has been debited to the tune of N1,000 for the issuance of ATM card, they did not have the courtesy of informing me that they were issuing a Magnetic chip card-that is how crude the bank is angry

They are leaders in the banking sub-sector for Institutional extortion sad shocked embarassed
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by PurestBoy(m): 2:48am On Aug 11, 2009
kpofkpof:

Thank you jare!!!

pofpof or what do u call ur stinking name? You're full of rubbish and don't let me call u a fool, angry angry angry angry
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by odedele: 8:35am On Aug 11, 2009
while complaining wen u av so many alternatives.

FinBank, come in
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Aproko(f): 10:08am On Aug 11, 2009
PurestBoy:

pofpof or what do u call ur stinking name? You're full of rubbish and don't let me call u a fool, angry angry angry angry

Oga Purestboy, take a chill pill na, we are done with the insults and name calling - how many times kpof kpof go talk sorry? abi e don tay u chop puff puff? wink smiley wink
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by pek(m): 11:07am On Aug 11, 2009
this is not fair. ITB PLC is not the only bank that charges this fee. why the beef. i will advise segun to remove the topic from the general board.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Madumeye(m): 11:13am On Aug 11, 2009
Intercontinental as a bank is not living up to it's motto
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by daddee: 12:46pm On Aug 11, 2009
For those that say intercontinental is getting worse by the day, try oceanic then you will know intercontinental is heaven
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Oluschenco(m): 2:05pm On Aug 11, 2009
Where do you selfish's think they generate their staffs' salaries from if not extortion, especially that UBA or what their name.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by papaajasko: 2:19pm On Aug 11, 2009
hey hey guys enough of this quarels and abuse, the truth is that there is an upgrade in technology.
I had the same experience but i saw reasons with the bank

Let us not sound as if we are not abreast of the happenings in the world
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Oluschenco(m): 2:22pm On Aug 11, 2009
Where do you selfish's think they generate their staffs' salaries from, if not extortion, especially that UBA or what's their name.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by chbabs(m): 5:40pm On Aug 11, 2009
check the fucking e-mail one of their staff sent to me:

Dear Coker

I am a happy customer of Intercontinental Bank with a sizeable deposit. My heart bled to read what you had written. I wondered whether you were referring to the same Intercontinental Bank, one of Nigeria's highflying banks as you rightly described them.

I restrained from reacting immediately pending my enquiry into some of the allegations in your write-up. Below are my findings;

1. All banks had given loans to Petroleum marketers and to players in the Capital Market. Yes there is a downturn today in those businesses. It is a cyclical thing which will rebound. Nobody needs lose his pants for that! Besides the bank has continued to attend to us their customers efficiently and has indeed advanced a sizeable loan to the company I work for.

2. The CBN knows about banks intimately and are in a position to make statements concerning the health of any bank and indeed the industry. Perhaps you do not know. CBN has resident examiners in the banks. They receive daily on-line access into the books of banks. The CBN is not one single person. There is what is called a structure by which big organizations run and make decisions. Perhaps you have not heard of corporate governance. CBN is not a one-man business or some phantom organization. Governors of Central Banks are not given to talking too much except they are stating facts. The man (CBN Governor) is doing an excellent job and hope he will not be distracted by your likes. Must you mindlessly join the pull-down mentality? Our current CBN Governor has been acclaimed and recognized internationally just as is Intercontinental Bank. Why must you vow that nothing good should come from our country? You need to catch the Nigerian rebranding train! The bank is doing well and there is a very positive indication from the third quarter results they published last time. I am not just a customer but also a shareholder - an investor, am looking forward to good returns for their financial year ended February 28 from the bank even in the midst of this turbulent period world-wide, not a million baseless lies can change that.

3. In the course of the week my organization made our VAT remittance through the bank. VAT is one of FIRS revenues they collect. We routinely pay our customs Duty through them. If you must lie why take on something that is so glaring? Do you have no shame or regard for credibility?

4. It is well known that EFCC seeks to prevent, investigate and prosecute financial crimes. If a customer obtains a loan from a bank, it is more likely that the bank will be going after the borrower with possible assistance of EFCC if things go wrong. So why struggle so hard to turn the story around against the bank? Why suggest that EFCC could be aiding a possible loan defaulter against a bank and their staff. Please put some more thoughts to your insinuations before making them public.

5. Banks do not raise money by increasing their minimum balance or account opening requirement; more likely a bank that increases is getting more selective! Probably following public outcry the bank listened and reversed its decision on increasing accounts opening balance and minimum balance. Nothing can be more courageous and commendable.

6. As for their system that had problems. Though there were hitches I was able to do my transactions during the period. Their ATMs were dispensing cash and so were their cashiers. Yes there were crowds a times and it was not the standard of service we were used to from them. We got some service all the same. Yes on 5th and 6th March the bank had a computer problem that hampered the on-line services and consequently there were crowds in some branches due to use of manual process of pay and receive. The bank has been apologizing over and over on account of this. Like everything man made, computer systems fails all over the world. In their case, their rate of recovery was remarkable, must you concoct a huge lie around this glitch. Extreme and wicked pervasion indeed! Fortunately for them even in the midst of the computer system problems, many customers were coming to deposit their money with them. It is a brand they have taken time to build over the years; Nigerians love the bank and are in no mood to be distracted by wicked, malicious and baseless concoction. What is driving you? What is the motivation for your venom and lies that were flowing through your write-up?

7. You even grudge someone who has worked so hard and through entrepreneurial drive has not only lifted himself but the nation. While I know Dr. Erastus Akingbola is not given to flamboyance unlike many of his peers and juniors should he decide to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom, I can only say a worker is worthy of his pay. This is a man you will more likely find in the church or involved with some charity and philanthropic endeavours than in high society parties and gatherings. He has maintained this consistency over the years. Even if you were commissioned to pull him down must you? Pray that God does not act against you in Vengeance. For the CBN Governor, you did not appoint him, you cannot remove him together with your pay master if you have one.
The people charged with the responsibility will take the appropriate decision when the time comes. There is no taking away from the fact that he is one of the most revered Governors of Central Banks in the world. He is a Nigerian shining star! After CBN, should he desire a plum job he will not look for one for too long. Believe me.

8. Financial Times of London (FT) is an authoritative source of financial journalism world-wide. One of the very best. The Banker its affiliate remains a highly credible Banking Journal. Their awards are highly sought after and celebrated globally. They have spoken about Intercontinental Bank based on facts and figures, as one of the fastest growing banks in the world; they have ranked the bank as one of the top 500 banking brands globally ahead of all but one in Nigeria. Intercontinental has investment grade national ratings from Fitch, Standard and Poors, Agusto & Co. Ltd etc. These International Agencies cannot also be lying! They are all corroborating each other in saying the bank is good.

9. You take Nigerians for granted by thinking your lies and demarketing gimmicks can stick, Sorry Dayo Nigerians are not fools. If you are a hatchet man, pick your target more carefully next time and please, please, please do your home work well. Stop making a fool of yourself. Blackmail does not pay, go and find a worthy job, hardworking organisations will not allow you to extort from them, trust me you missed it this time.

Abubakar Said
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by funcy: 7:33pm On Aug 11, 2009
Well i would have advise you guys that oceanic bank is the best for now.come and join the leading bank in the banking sector,
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by jimuchy: 9:10pm On Aug 11, 2009
Why do pple always complain that their bank charges them, pple if u are not happy move to the next bank then u'll c if they charge u or not why should the bank give u anything for free please tell me. Am sure most of u r shareholders if they don't pay dividend u will still open your mouth and complain my friend stop complaining pay your charges or go else where why dont u ask MTN or Zain to give u a line for free - ole barawo
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by factsman: 10:58pm On Aug 11, 2009
GOOD DAYS ARE BACK, INTERCONTINENTAL REVERT 30% STAFF SALARY SLASH

Topics like this, Nairalander would not post even if they hear about it. The bank just reverted the 30% salary slash meted on its staff not long ago. Or don,t you have a relative that is a beneficiary of this goody.
Please let talk about our true extortionistm DSTV,HITV,FSTV,MYTV amidst others
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by topea(m): 11:56am On Aug 12, 2009
It is generally known that the improvement and/or advancement of a technology comes with all sorts of "obtaining under false pretense" Remember the night of 31st Dec 1999, we were all told several months before that computers will crash if it's not y2k compliant. I had a computer which i intentionally left as an experiment. I just cannibalized the system two years ago, it was still working before then, can you imagine the amount of money spent by various corporate organizations to be y2k compliant? They could not afford to take the risk like me though.

So with verve card, they are telling us new stories, and asking us to pay more (pardon me, none of my banks have asked me to pay, i only use
us
being Nigerian like those complaining), but the question is this, have they really been able to prevent fraud?, let's wait another 6months and see what fraudsters come up with. they also do research.

Viruses are programs written by programmers who also come back to tell us to buy anti-virus. Simple fraud in technological world

Over and out.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by kpofkpof: 9:15pm On Aug 12, 2009
PurestBoy:

Hmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Chuckdee:

When I first came across this tread, your response to the original poster and others was soo harsh and i disagreed with most of your points too, then the tone was something else. Well, I am glad i read thru this far and I am soo impressed with the way you sincerely apologized, I mean this world needs much much people like you. All your sins are soo forgiven my dear wink
And yes, You are still my good Friend!!! grin

Forget the tone of my message and try digesting the points that were raised. Anyway just like factsman or shaunscot said, If they say a bank is going under- only time will tell and i very much agree with him on that.

biolabee:

@kpofy
can i see the pix of ur cheeks grin

the vehemence of ur posts belies the sweet nature of ur name but its nice you took out thr time to expatiate ur view

Thanks grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by ogbongzky(m): 5:12am On Aug 13, 2009
HAPPY CUSTOMER, HAPPY BANK OR ANGRY CUSTOMERS, HAPPY BANK?

I hope those of you shouting OCEANIC BANK are not TIMAYA FANS, lol, ( if i be bank eh, i will be oceanic bank eh, oh oh, )
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by nethacker(m): 2:28pm On Aug 14, 2009
where r all these intercontinental supporters!!!!!! grin wetin una dey look wen dem sack ur MD's shocked
Happy customers,Distressed bank grin
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by zmurda(m): 2:34pm On Aug 14, 2009
hmmm, kpofkpof where are thou?
all the Akingbola apologists where are thou?
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by meche4vr(m): 6:26pm On Aug 14, 2009
HEllo all in the house u pple re saying all these shit b/c u re not there una own could have been worse.

anyway for the one that tries to advertise diamond bank ., u sabi wetin dey ur mind, i dont even thinkk u ever own an inter a/c, b/c u no suppose to critcise at all or no.

they re right but the charges varies pls verify well b/4 talking bulshit (nshi aboki)

i will not fail to talk my own.

come to world of endless possiblities
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by meche4vr(m): 6:29pm On Aug 14, 2009
HEllo all in the house u pple re saying all these shit b/c u re not there una own could have been worse.

anyway for the one that tries to advertise diamond bank ., u sabi wetin dey ur mind, i dont even thinkk u ever own an inter a/c, b/c u no suppose to critcise at all or no.

they re right but the charges varies pls verify well b/4 talking bulshit (nshi aboki)

i will not fail to talk my own.

come to world of endless possiblities, (FINBANK)COME IN

WE RE DELIBERATING ON SAME ISSUE IS EVERYWHERE
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by timmy7(m): 8:05pm On Aug 14, 2009
Wetin this 1 dey talk so U still dey market when dem don sack d ogas we dey terrorise u grin
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Purist(m): 12:10pm On Aug 15, 2009
"Having reviewed all the reports of the examiners and the comments of the directors and deputy governors, I am satisfied that these five institutions are in a grave situation and that their management have acted in a manner detrimental to the interest of their depositors and creditors. Therefore, in exercise of my powers as contained in Sections 33 and 35 of the Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act 1991, as amended, and after securing the consent of the Board of Directors of the CBN, I hereby remove the Managing Directors and Executive Directors of the following banks from office with effect from Friday, August 14, 2009: Afribank Plc; Intercontinental Bank Plc; Union Bank of Nigeria Plc; Oceanic Bank International Plc (and) Finbank Plc." 

- CBN Governor; emphasis mine.   Source.

Where are the Akingbola faithfuls?

Just days ago when some of us were screaming here about Intercontinental bank (which I have no personal problems with by the way, since I do not operate an account with them), you all were defending them blindly without pausing to reflect on the grieviances of their frustrated customers.  You all interpreted it to mean most of us were only out to rubbish their image.

Anyway, I hope the scale has fallen off your eyes now.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Purist(m): 12:31pm On Aug 15, 2009
By the way, I must confess that I'm quite surprised at the number of people suggesting here that unsatisfied customers should look elsewhere to operate a bank account.

Do you people really think it is that convenient to be jumping from bank to bank?  There are so many factors most people put into consideration before deciding to open an account at a particular bank, some of which are proximity of their branches to one's residence, location and reliability of their ATMs, customer care service, and general ease of transactions, just to mention a few.  But when these banks begin to misbehave, especially by charging their customers so many unnecessary fees, it is usually not so easy to "simply move to another bank" as most of you have suggested, as the factors listed need to be fully considered, which may not prove favourable should one eventually move elsewhere.  What we do instead, is COMPLAIN, so that at least they can adjust their policies reasonable to suit their customers.

I also find it ridiculous that, in a desperate bid to defend Intercontinental bank, many here have hinted at these "small small charges" as the source of their workers' salaries and other running costs.  I guess many are completely ignorant of how much these banks make with customers' desposited cash alone.

Anyhow. . .  I'm out! cool
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by dinggle: 2:09pm On Aug 15, 2009
hopefully this will be an eye opener to everyone who own an account in Nigeria. If ur bank starts messing up and charging illegal fees know the bank is on the brink of collapse and doing everything possible to survive even stealing secretly from their customers account. At that point pay close attention to your deposits and withdraws. And dont waste time before you switch bank! someone was talking about proximity and convience wait till u loose ur money when the bank goes under then, u will know that there is nothing like convience in Nigerian banking. Thank GOD for Mallam Sanusi! Soludo should be indicted for trying to cover failed banks with tax payers money. Any wonder why dollar price was skyrocketing these were the same bank round tripping dollars and speculating with it in the black market. See how the greed of a few can make everyone bankrupt.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by Shaunscot(m): 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2009
@Purist
I get your point but its still up to you as a customer to decide where to save your hard-earned(except its not) money.

I operate accounts in Zenith,First Bank and GTB and I can only recall going to the banking hall to pay cheques.

I collect cash via ATMs and do transfers(except huge monies above 200k) via my mobile phone.

@Purist and dinggle

A bank charging customers for an ATM card is not illegal.
I put out the line in the CBN regulation that states that they dont have the right to charge for an unsolicited card.
It is only illegal if the customer doesnt use the card.
Re: Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC by kpofkpof: 11:02pm On Aug 20, 2009
my problem with pple on this thread is the singular focus on intercontinental Bank. Five CEOs were sacked but Akingbola is on áll lips.

we have 24 banks in nigeria, out of which only 10 has been audited. the results led to the outright sack of the MDs. If i may ask, why didnt sanusi wait to fully audit alllother banks b4 unleashing his terror? why is he giving the other banks ample time to cook up their books and put their house in order? it means ther is a personal beef btw sanusi and akingbola, to include all others to me is just a cover up

I still have faith in intercontinental and that faith will not die. Intercontinental has over 1.3 trillion deposit base and they are being punished for giving out about 200billion if i am not mistaken? Yes a lot of those loans were classified as non performing by cbn, but what is 200billion compared to 1.3trillion.

peeps, dont forget that the demarketing saga of about 4 months back were traced to first bank when sanusi was MD, it now msakes a lot of sense as to why he is going to far in his approach.

all banks i know must have given out facilities which were mostly for acquisition of stocks and for oil and gas, but if you are following the trend of things you will know what happened in the stock market and oil sector. all i expected sanusi to do was make them provide 100 percent for alll bad loans before releasing their annual report for 2008, at least then we might know the true position of the bank, but his approach to this whole thing was rather harsh.

i am being forced now to believe what i read sometimes back in march about a plot by some group to bring down top 5 banks in nigeria of which intercontinenttal bank was on that list.

Anyway as for me, i am still with them and i dont have intentions of moving elsewhere, i intend to siddon look and only time will vindicate this man called akingbola.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Business Can I Start With 200,000naria / What Resources Apart From Oil Contributes To 40% Of Our GDP? / Best Hotels In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.