Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,181 members, 7,807,579 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist (19819 Views)

Eyewitness Account Of Army Shooting Of IPOB Members In Ekwulobia (Video) / How Lt Col Muhammad Abu-ali Was Killed. An Eyewitness Account / Eyewitness Account Of Fulani Attack In Enugu State......(photos)...Greatiyk4u (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by peaceloveworld2: 7:29pm On Apr 23, 2016
The economy of oil-rich Bayelsa State has collapsed, according to an award-winning journalist who just visited the state.

In a Facebook post on Thursday, Olola Seun Akioye, who is based in Lagos, where he works for The Nation, painted the picture of a state which is at the verge of collapse following the apparent mismanagement of the windfall that came its way during the six-year reign of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, as Nigeria’s President, which was cut short on May 29, 2015 following his loss of the March 28, 2015 presidential election to retired General Muhammdu Buhari of the then-opposition All Progressives Congress (APC). Bayelsa remains under the governorship of Hon. Seriake Dickson of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), who was recently sworn-in for a second four-year term after effectively fighting off the fierce challenge from his predecessor, Chief Timipre Sylva of APC.

Here is Mr. Akioye’s eyewitness account of the prevailing economic situation in Bayelsa, one of the leading oil-producing states in the country, by virtue of which it gets a bigger share of the country’s revenue than less blessed states: “Bayelsa is in trouble. The economy has fallen down. No sales and prices have crashed. Hotels are worst hit in Yenagoa, they beg you to stay, rooms that sold for N40k, pretty receptionists beg you to take it for N8k. They took my bag inside already. The voice of my hometown of ijebu said price it further to. N5k. Am not joking. In Atemer pepersoup joint on INEC road, am the lone diner. Everyone looked at me in amazement. We price everything and they beg you to take it. One man said his laundry business has not made 1k for a week. Car parks filled with cars, no money. Abuja park is deserted “nobody goes to Abuja since Goodluck lost election,” a man said. Clubs are deserted, even prostitutes (reputed for wearing only underwears) on hospital road are crying. Even thrift collectors are hit as civil servants (main stay of economy) have not been paid. A man told me: “We lost Abuja and then oil prices went down, our politicians mismanaged what was left, that’s why we are suffering.”

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=22732&title=Bayelsa-economy-collapses:-Eyewitness-account-by-visiting-journalist

•Photo shows Governor Dickson.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by GudluckIBB(m): 7:39pm On Apr 23, 2016
Bayelsa that is not even as big as Yaba local govt area is supposed to be the most developed state in Nigeria given its size, small population and oil derivation they collect.

If jonathan has taken money illegally from CBN and use it to develop bayelsa to be like dubai, Nigerians would have pardoned him. But he was a vice president, acting president and president, yet his people don't have drinking water and passable road.

And he's busy telling the world that part of his achievement was that he meet dangote as the rishest man in Nigeria and when he got into power, dangote became the rishest man in Africa. Is that an aChievememt?

I was expecting him to list his major achievement as uprgrading his state to a world class city like dubai and china.

Even an helipad, he didn't build in his town, meanwhile, the man they call "dullard" has built an helipad in daura in his first 3 months in office.

Jonathan is a shame.

Nonsense!

242 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by rusher14: 7:51pm On Apr 23, 2016
We told them.

Invest the wealth in human capital.

Enrich the minds of our people.

Manage the youth, create factories (certainly not hotels), improve the general well being of the people.

Enact laws that make local power production easily achievable.

We had the power and might. The finance and connections. Yet, we mismanaged everything.

We encouraged militancy, we distributed guns and munitions. Reacted angrily to opposing views.

Now we live in penury... Once again.

Ok we'll revert to militancy once again. Burst pipelines, kidnap foreigners and locals alike.

The ultimate loss would still be ours.

Sustainable development appears alien to us.

We despoil our land and waterways.

Simply Irritating and repugnant.

I weep for my People.

165 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by buharisbae(f): 7:57pm On Apr 23, 2016
nd the twitter senator?

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by asha80(m): 8:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
rusher14:
We told them.

Invest the wealth in human capital.

Enrich the minds of our people.

Manage the youth, create factories (certainly not hotels), improve the general well being of the people.

Enact laws that make local power production easily achievable.

We had the power and might. The finance and connections. Yet, we mismanaged everything.

We encouraged militancy, we distributed guns and munitions. Reacted angrily to opposing views.

Now we live in penury... Once again.

Ok we'll revert to militancy once again. Burst pipelines, kidnap foreigners and locals alike.

The ultimate loss would still be ours.

Sustainable development appears alien to us.

We despoil our land and waterways.

Simply Irritating and repugnant.

I weep for my People.

are you from bayelsa?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by LadyExcellency: 8:15pm On Apr 23, 2016
The next may be Imo State but thank goodness, the debt repayment is differed.

When a normal room in City Global Hotel Aba was N8000, City Global Hotel Owerri is priced N18000 before now.

For what? Any perfect guess wins Monday lunch in any joint of your choice in Owerri, Aba or Port-harcourt.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by kabman: 8:46pm On Apr 23, 2016
At least jonathan should have invested his loots back into his state

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by HopeAtHand: 9:15pm On Apr 23, 2016
GudluckIBB:
Bayelsa that is not even as big as Yaba local govt area is supposed to be the most developed state in Nigeria given its size, small population and oil derivation they collect.

If jonathan has taken money illegally from CBN and use it to develop bayelsa to be like dubai, Nigerians would have pardoned him. But he was a vice president, acting president and president, yet his people don't have drinking water and passable road.

And he's busy telling the world that part of his achievement was that he meet dangote as the rishest man in Nigeria and when he got into power, dangote became the rishest man in Africa. Is that an aChievememt?

I was expecting him to list his major achievement as uprgrading his state to a world class city like dubai and china.

Even an helipad, he didn't build in his town, meanwhile, the man they call "dullard" has built an helipad in daura in his first 3 months in office.

Jonathan is a shame.

Nonsense!

I want truckpusher, tonyebarcanista, phockphockman, dearpreye et al to read this.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by rusher14: 9:22pm On Apr 23, 2016
asha80:
are you from bayelsa?

I am Ijaw / Itshekiri.

Bayelsa is for the entire Ijaw nation.

It is representative of our contiguous homeland.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by asha80(m): 9:50pm On Apr 23, 2016
rusher14:

I am Ijaw / Itshekiri.

Bayelsa is for the entire Ijaw nation.

It is representative of our contiguous homeland.
a certain entitlement mentality needs to purged in the core niger delta

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Babalegba(m): 9:58pm On Apr 23, 2016
Sorry o,no wonder he was called an ineffectual buffoon. And his supporters have the temerity to call someone a dullard.Who is the real dullard now

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Abagworo(m): 10:05pm On Apr 23, 2016
GudluckIBB:

Jonathan is a shame.

Nonsense!

Don't stay in your enclave and judge others faraway. The challenges of Bayelsa State is enormous and has very little to do with population. Jonathan and his wife's overbearing influence destroyed what could have been the gains of hardworking Dickson. No society can develop by empowering criminals against hardworking law abiding citizens including academicians. Jonathan's government made militants lords of Bayelsa and impoverished the law abiding ones.

Amaechi helped Rivers State escape the Bayelsa stigma. He refused to empower militants but chose to use the money to empower law abiding citizens in the communities. Today Rivers people own businesses and compete favorably with Igbos in every sector because of Amaechi's wisdom.

130 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Progressive01(m): 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2016
The meddlesome albino twitter claptrap is more interested in what is happening in far away Osun than what goes on in his bedroom.

The problem with Bayelsa is that there are just too many political godfathers interested in the scarce resources of the state. When you are done "settling'' these men, there is hardly anything left to execute any tangible developmental project.

Such an unfortunate scenario.

53 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Akshow: 8:54am On Apr 24, 2016
Na wa
Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Sweetguy25: 8:54am On Apr 24, 2016
I am witness to this. I travelled to Bayelsa to visit a friend two weeks ago and the level of economic hardship being faced by the people of that state is terrible and pathetic. I was told that the state governent is yet to pay salaries for about five months.

I am sorry to say this but Alamayeseigha destroyed Bayelsa state. In fact, Obasanjo and all politicians who ruled from 1999 to 2007 destroyed what was left of what Buhari, IBB Abacha had already destroyed.

25 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by mccoy47(m): 8:55am On Apr 24, 2016
Stvpid governors evrywia! angry

8 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Rexphobia(m): 8:55am On Apr 24, 2016
They need me

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by dayoungmoney1: 8:55am On Apr 24, 2016
Jona help save ya state o tongue

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Emeskhalifa(m): 8:56am On Apr 24, 2016
k
Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by timilehing(m): 8:56am On Apr 24, 2016
Kiki Kiki, that's how I feel about this

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Generalkorex(m): 8:58am On Apr 24, 2016
I called a brother over there on a monday morning. He was still sleeping. What happened bro? U no go work I asked.he said no transport fare.that he had not been paid for 5 months now.

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by TPAND(f): 8:58am On Apr 24, 2016
This is a stupid article.

You measure a states economy by Hotel price and pepper soup joint. For crying out loud, where did Nature position the brains of most Nigerians, certainly not in their head

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 24, 2016
We have a very foolish gorrila as a governor... A fool... Nonsense.... A state with so much languishing in poverty...gej imposed that idiot on bayelsans and then lost the presidential elections.. Nonsense... angry

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by bigcil2(m): 8:59am On Apr 24, 2016
It seems like it's only the south west that is thriving. Lagos and Ogun.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by modath(f): 8:59am On Apr 24, 2016
buharisbae:
nd the twitter senator?

Busy tweet "fighting" Oby ezekwesili or Omojuwa!

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Controversialad: 9:03am On Apr 24, 2016
Na today?
Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by 989900B: 9:04am On Apr 24, 2016
cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by bababuff(m): 9:04am On Apr 24, 2016
Invest in the future of your youths, Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by masterblogger(m): 9:05am On Apr 24, 2016
One slowpoke just commented that Yaba in Lagos is bigger than bayelsa. What a lie from the pit of hell. Please you all need to be informed, Bayelsa is over two times bigger than lagos state as a whole. Go get your facts right!

Why are APC supporters so hateful and deceitful. They are after bayelsa now.

A similar situation happened in Enugu, the moment the government declared Enugu airport free to fly to China, USA etc, the lagos APC supporters rushed to the media and start writing thrash claiming the Enugu runway is bad. The airport I just landed yesterday that is in a perfect condition.

For the same reason the LAGOS APC political touts did every possible and boost Jonathan out for the single reason that he said he will build seaport for the igbos in onitsha. They beleive this will draw importers to onitsha against lagos.

Jonathan tried a lot in bayelsa, South south, southeast, South West, and most especially the north. A man of equity.

Thanks

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by aeronot(m): 9:05am On Apr 24, 2016
So a news reporter that works for an APC chieftain woke up this morning and decided to travel from Lagos to bayelsa to tell us that there economy has collapsed he did not see it fit to pass through oyo, osun, Edo etc. He did not see it fit to do a report on the Lagos economy and tell us if the Nigerian economy is doing better or worse than before?

Journalist are a serious problem to the Nigerian project their bias, junk journalism, lack of patriotism through obvious bias that they comes from political affiliation.

Today that we still have long queues of fuel going on for 3 months a writer decides to travel 5000 miles from his home to an opposition state to what end? Divert peoples tots from the pressing issues on ground?

This is awful, shameful, diversionary and very disgusting!

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by rawtouch: 9:06am On Apr 24, 2016
oga journalist come north na then u go dobale

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Economy Collapses: Eyewitness Account By Visiting Journalist by Henrypraise: 9:06am On Apr 24, 2016
Is it Bayelsa's economie dat have collapse? Or its Nigeria's economie?

APC writers tryin so hard to draw our attention from Nigeria's failing economie.

SMH in shame.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASG, Visionscape Intensify Waste Evacuation Across Metropolis, (pictures) / Lagos-Ibadan Rail Project 90% Complete - FG / Gov. Abiodun Secures Release Of #EndSARS Protesters Charged For Attempted Murder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.