Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,774 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise (18178 Views)

Buhari Will Shock Opposition In 2019 – Senator Arise / Dasukigate: Jonathan Ready To Appear In Court - Vanguard / Dasukigate: EFCC To Arrest Jimi Agbaje In Port-harcourt - Elombah.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by midolian(m): 6:44am On Apr 24, 2016
Sen Ayo Arise served in the 6th Senate. In this interview with RUTH CHOJI, he spoke on his defection from PDP to APC and the anti-corruption war. He also said President Buhari will not like to risk involving himself in the Saraki saga.

Why did you leave the PDP?

I left immediately after the elections because there was no point staying where you are not comfortable and of course my friend and former governor of the state, moved to the APC a year before I did. As a matter of fact, I felt there was no other reason to keep me in the party. I was there to show appreciation to former President Goodluck Jonathan for locating a university in my place. Beyond that, there was really nothing to talk about since 2011 in terms of whether I agree with some of the things going on in the party or whether they actually consider I had such an influence.

Nigerians are becoming weary of the APC administration because they believe their sufferings have increased. How do you feel about this?

May be most people did not realize the level of rot that Nigeria was in. there have been several situation around  the world where you can see economic meltdown and things are not working, there is recession in the air and then some leadership will have to come to help those countries. The situation we were in was very dire and we didn’t know who was coming. The unfortunate issue was the price of oil and our leaders were not paying attention to what was happening. Other countries had started looking for alternatives even beyond the shale oil that has gone down done a little bit. America, the largest buyer in the world started focusing on electric vehicles and all this have been in the pipeline. So we have better realized that our mono-dependent economy is no longer going to serve us. There are other polices of looking at other sectors like if we go massively into mechanized farming.  Even to get tractors, assuming we have the money, it will take about six months. So we have to start planning now and, if we are lucky, we will get some crops that will take one year. With new seedlings, some might take three to six months. When you look at crops that fetch money like cocoa, the number of years before they start yielding crops that we can export will reach three years. So the focus is on agriculture. If you look at solid mineral, the number of people that will benefit might not be much. But it is an area that we can focus on. The government is saying we should look at how we can become an exporting nation instead of importer so we can fetch money in terms of foreign exchange. Our foreign reserve has dropped and this requires lots of management. There was a time in this country when banks were not honoring letters of credit because we could no longer pay. So to ensure that we do not get back into such era, we need to do what government is doing now. Unfortunately the theft in the country has become unprecedented, not even the soldiers did what we have realized so far in this kind of reckless theft.

But as a former member of the PDP, are you surprised that such theft took place in the party?

I was really surprised at the level. As a matter of fact, I even spent my money doing the social media campaign and I spoke with some of them on how much I have spent. I wanted them to help us so that some of this thing will go out. As soon as I called them, I never got any response, everybody kept saying there was no money. I was shocked when I realized so many people were busy sharing the largesse. I thank God thank that I wasn’t given anything. Maybe that is how I never knew they were sharing such money. But every government during election must muster money for it to succeed. You can raise money through contractors, businessmen and the rest. Not that you will carry government money and share it for elections. I am still puzzled by the magnitude of what we are reading. We are probing just one sector, once we move to other sectors and civil servants, you will begin to see what is going on. These people are not difficult to catch. They own 70 percent of the houses in Abuja. So if something is not done to put an end to this and put a structure that will ensure  that such theft are no longer possible like the TSA which is a welcomed development; but we have to develop a culture of not  depending on government money. Because even under President Buhari’s watch now, theft is still going on. The first quality of a leader is leading by example. So I have no fears in my mind that President Buhari will try his best because I don’t think he is in power to acquire money, after all the man is about 73years old now. It is not that there are no greedy people in government but he has developed a strong character and that was the greatest selling point. If he fails on that account, then there is nothing that he is offering Nigeria. So he must succeed in curtailing corruption, he cannot end it but he must ensure that it is reduce to the barest minimum. There must be laid down punishment for such people because if we do not do that, we will be in court for up to 10 years. There has been no deterrent for years and everybody takes advantage.

From what you have just said now, are you surprised with what is happening to the senate president?

The senate president allegedly committed breaches when it was the order of the day in Nigeria. Why he is talking about persecution is because, maybe he knows persons that were doing the same thing together but they have not taken them to court. It is not a question of whether or not these things happened, because there is no way you will go and meet somebody and accused him of something you didn’t see or hear him do. Panama leaks that came out recently made his case worse. That is an addition that he doesn’t really need. A lot of people will expect the President Buhari to call the Senate President to say that, the court should stop this. That would have happened in the past under another leadership but I don’t think the president will like to risk something like this.

Should the senate president step down?

In a different clime, ordinary he should have resigned by now. He is popular with the senators and if he is discharged and acquitted, then he can still get his position back. You will recollect that from 1999-2003 of the senate, we had about four senate presidents. So it is not a new thing. It is all about voting but fighting from the position he is now. I think his fear is that the moment he resigns, the people following him to court will reduce so he might think that, it will be suicidal for him to resign. So he will still be doing something to get an acquittal. But there are some times that you must be truthful to yourself. “Did I do these things and got unfortunate to be caught?’ the president is in a difficult position because he campaigned based on integrity and this case has become a test case for Nigeria. I like Saraki and I like the way he is handling the senate but if indeed he committed these alleged crimes, then it is a serious thing. I lived all my adult life in America and we all remember President Nixon who was impeached because of a case not bigger than this one. So many leaders in America were removed because of extra marital affairs and those were minor things. But for someone to hold such a big position, you must live above suspicion. To me, with the revelations coming out, he should be overwhelmed.

Some have attributed what the senate president is going through because of 2019 presidential elections. Do you share such views?

People need to be factual. If you are caught, then that means you are caught as long as you actually committed the things they accuse you of. That somebody brought it out and you are being tried, it is nobody faults. You have to take responsibility for your mistakes. I don’t think there is anybody that said, ‘go and do this thing’. Go and do false declaration’. You must own up once you are caught. If they start looking closely at everybody, very few will be able to escape this thing. But if you are unfortunately caught, you should not blame somebody. This country is going through a phase, we cannot continue the way we are going. The greatest access to wealth in Nigeria today is through politics not business.  People coming out of school now want to be councilors, local government chairmen. They don’t think of what to do to contribute to the economy and they are the engine room of the economy. It is not the politicians. The politicians only make laws so that the big companies don’t oppress the small ones and ensure that rules are followed. But in Nigeria, it is a different thing altogether. Sometimes I don’t blame the politician because there are no jobs and so the dependent forces some people to help themselves when the opportunity arises. The CBN has said that, there are millions of dollars in private accountant that if it is used, things will change.

Nigerians are worried that this government has not come out with any agenda or economic policy that Nigerians can identify with. What is your take on this?

I can say that there are a few movement towards economic revitalization. They recently had an economic meeting at the presidential villa in which governors were in attendance. They have to start from somewhere. The truth is that, the number of unemployed people are way too much. If you don’t ginger the economy for things to start working, because the government cannot hire everybody, then we are in trouble. If you go to some ministries, you will see people sleeping. The few ones that have jobs to do, they will demand for something before they do the job. That cannot continue and if it does, most of our children that we have sent abroad to read will come back and be absorbed in this corruption.  Few people are wealthy and so many are poor. So let’s see how this year’s budget is implemented and which areas it focuses on before we make a comment.

http://leadership.ng/features/520983/god-saved-dasukigate-arise

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by chriskosherbal(m): 6:49am On Apr 24, 2016
God will save this country and we will smile again as a nation.

8 Likes

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by SeverusSnape(m): 6:49am On Apr 24, 2016
Scam!, Dasukigate is a Scam.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by TippyTop(m): 6:51am On Apr 24, 2016
Nigerians are becoming weary of the APC administration because they believe their sufferings have increased. How do you feel about this?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by TippyTop(m): 6:54am On Apr 24, 2016
chriskosherbal:
God will save this country and we will smile again as a nation.

Bros have you heard the saying "God help those who help themselves"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by midolian(m): 6:55am On Apr 24, 2016
A lot of people will expect the President Buhari to call the Senate President to say that, the court should stop this. That would have happened in the past under another leadership but I don’t think the president will like to risk something like this.
Buhari, if you try am ehn?

9 Likes

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by SeverusSnape(m): 6:57am On Apr 24, 2016
midolian:
Buhari, if you try am ehn?
Mr. Midolian aka GOATandYAMtheory, Nothing will happen. Calm down.
Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by SeverusSnape(m): 6:58am On Apr 24, 2016

Nice question.
Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by midolian(m): 6:59am On Apr 24, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Mr. Midolian aka GOATandYAMtheory, Nothing will happen. Calm down.
Have you bn released from jail? shocked

9 Likes

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by SeverusSnape(m): 7:00am On Apr 24, 2016
midolian:
Have you bn released from jail? shocked
Since sef, I just didn't feel like resuming with this handle, I've been around incognito cool
Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by modath(f): 7:00am On Apr 24, 2016
I was shocked when I realized so many people were busy sharing the largesse. I thank God thank that I wasn’t given anything. Maybe that is how I never knew they were sharing such money. But every government during election must muster money for it to succeed. You can raise money through contractors, businessmen and the rest. Not that you will carry government money and share it for elections.

I think his fear is that the moment he resigns, the people following him to court will reduce so he might think that, it will be suicidal for him to resign.

1 Like

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by modath(f): 7:06am On Apr 24, 2016
TippyTop:

The unfortunate issue was the price of oil and our leaders were not paying attention to what was happening. Other countries had started looking for alternatives even beyond the shale oil that has gone down done a little bit. America, the largest buyer in the world started focusing on electric vehicles and all this have been in the pipeline. So we have better realized that our mono-dependent economy is no longer going to serve us.

10 Likes

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by TippyTop(m): 7:11am On Apr 24, 2016
modath:

The unfortunate issue was the price of oil and our leaders were not paying attention to what was happening. Other countries had started looking for alternatives even beyond the shale oil that has gone down done a little bit. America, the largest buyer in the world started focusing on electric vehicles and all this have been in the pipeline. So we have better realized that our mono-dependent economy is no longer going to serve us.

Whilst other oil producing countries were looking for ways to diversify their economy, Bubu as presidential candidate was boasting Naira parity with the dollar and oil stabilization yada yada yada.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by SeverusSnape(m): 7:14am On Apr 24, 2016
TippyTop:

Whilst other oil producing countries were looking for ways to diversify their economy, Bubu as presidential candidate was boasting Naira parity with the dollar and oil stabilization yada yada yada.
Did you expect anything from a dullard

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by TippyTop(m): 7:16am On Apr 24, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Did you expect anything from a dullard

Bobo where you been go? Longest time, glad you're back.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by SeverusSnape(m): 7:30am On Apr 24, 2016
TippyTop:

Bobo where you been go? Longest time, glad you're back.
Thank you my brother, You know where I go na grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by TippyTop(m): 7:32am On Apr 24, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Thank you my brother, You know where I go na grin

Hehehe grin grin
Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by buharisbae(f): 7:41am On Apr 24, 2016
abeg click like if you think Nigeria's a fvckd up country

4 Likes

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by blackpanda: 7:48am On Apr 24, 2016
TippyTop:

U completely got it wrong. Other countries started looking for alternatives long before the oil meltdown. But our dumb clueless president jonathan kept wasting our resources on his friends and cronies!

11 Likes

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by TippyTop(m): 7:52am On Apr 24, 2016
blackpanda:

U completely got it wrong. Other countries started looking for alternatives long before the oil meltdown. But our dumb clueless president jonathan kept wasting our resources on his friends and cronies!

How much did the dullard save when he was president in the 80s?
Blame your APC messiahs like Fashola and Amaechi for insisting our savings be shared.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by blackpanda: 7:57am On Apr 24, 2016
TippyTop:

How much did the dullard save when he was president in the 80s?
Blame your APC messiahs like Fashola and Amaechi for insisting our savings be shared.

Yea the two messiahs u mentioned headed two of the most economically viable states in Nigeria. Lagos remains the only state that can survive without a dime of fg allocation! Cant say same for your thieving greedy and corrupt pdp buffoons!
So hide your head in shame

16 Likes

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by ISpiksDaTroof: 8:02am On Apr 24, 2016
Senator Arise sounds like a very intelligent person.

1 Like

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by 989900B: 8:21am On Apr 24, 2016
These people are not difficult to catch. They own 70 percent of the houses in Abuja.

The first quality of a leader is leading by example. So I have no fears in my mind that President Buhari will try his best because I don’t think he is in power to acquire money, after all the man is about 73years old now. It is not that there are no greedy people in government but he has developed a strong character and that was the greatest selling point. If he fails on that account, then there is nothing that he is offering Nigeria.

People need to be factual. If you are caught, then that means you are caught as long as you actually committed the things they accuse you of. That somebody brought it out and you are being tried, it is nobody faults. You have to take responsibility for your mistakes. I don’t think there is anybody that said, ‘go and do this thing’. Go and do false declaration’. You must own up once you are caught. If they start looking closely at everybody, very few will be able to escape this thing. But if you are unfortunately caught, you should not blame somebody. This country is going through a phase, we cannot continue the way we are going. The greatest access to wealth in Nigeria today is through politics not business. People coming out of school now want to be councilors, local government chairmen.

1 Like

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by aieromon(m): 8:30am On Apr 24, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
Senator Arise sounds like a very intelligent person.

Ayodele Arise was born on 5 October 1956. His father was a judge. He was Assistant General Secretary of the Students Union at Ibadan Polytechnic (1976–1977). He obtained an M.Sc Urban & Regional Planning from Alabama A&M University, Normal, Alabama USA in 1984. and is an A+ Certified Computer Engineer, Microsoft Certified Professional.

After teaching mathematics and then working as a town planner, he entered into business in 1981 buying and selling video players and tapes in Nigeria. In the USA, he established a Computer Training Institute. In 2000 he launched Cards Technology Limited, which supplies MTel GSM recharge cards. He also launched Card Plant Limited for producing and supplying magnetic and chip cards, International Payment Devices Limited for manufacturing and distribution of ATMs, and Fortune Games for GSM Lotto.
Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by yaki84: 8:37am On Apr 24, 2016
modath:

we keep talking diversification as federal govt resoonsibilities. I wan ask is it only the duty of federal govt to diversify?
what abt states? cant they also diversify their economy n stop depending solely on niger delta oil for their budgets?
the states have all d lands, able bodied men and women, so what stops them from exploiting the available lands n barren n wasted lands in their areas?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by yaki84: 8:44am On Apr 24, 2016
federal govt have so many responsibilities in their coffers already, customs, police, immigration, army, navy, airforce, civil defence, dss, nia, dia, federal universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, federal unity schools, ministries, agencies, research institutes, inec, judiciary, embassies efcc, icpc etc.

that sphere of govt needs to be unbundled n restructured.

too much power in the centre making it to be clueless in its dealings.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by mayorkyzo: 8:45am On Apr 24, 2016
Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by Ijaya123: 8:47am On Apr 24, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Scam!, Dasukigate is a Scam.

Your education is definitely a scam.

8 Likes

Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by bigcil2(m): 8:48am On Apr 24, 2016
TippyTop:

Bros have you heard the saying "God help those who help themselves"

If you can help yourself, then, you do not need God's help. God is the helper of the helpless. That quote of God helping those who help.............. Is from the pit of hell.
Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by yjgm(m): 8:51am On Apr 24, 2016
Indeed u were saved. All praises be to the divine high.
Re: How God Saved Me From Dasukigate – Senator Arise by mccoy47(m): 8:54am On Apr 24, 2016
You wia saved cuz u defected, if u hadn't I wonder what would hv been ur case.
Anyway every aboki to his kettle

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Supreme Court Grants Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Rivers Greater Share Of Allocation / Amaechi Briefs Senate On Railway Monetization Project (Photos) / Onoja's Death: Nigeria Custom Officers Going Beyond Their Mecuarntance - Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.