Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,808 members, 7,802,586 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? (2978 Views)

Predetermined Your Goals. / If God Knows What Will Happen Tomorrow, Do We Still Have Free Will? / Do We Truly Have Free Will? Does The Bible Teach It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 1:19pm On Apr 24, 2016
Good day friends and Merry Sunday!

this question have been bothering me for so long so I decided to write it down here,I might find a clear solution here!

in the bible Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus,and remember Judas betrayal was already known to God,did Judas have a choice,and should he be held responsible for betraying Jesus?

is our salvation predestined by God? or is it a result of our own free will to respond to God's grace?

could Judas Iscariot have changed his own destiny by choosing to ask God's forgiveness like peter did,instead of committing suicide?OR was he pre-destined to betray jesus and become the vessel of God's wrath?

please a matured and clear reply.....

cc lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Mediapace: 2:32pm On Apr 24, 2016
The answer is that God already knew Judas had that overwhelming love for Money and can do anything for it,that was why Judas did that trash
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 24, 2016
Mediapace:
The answer is that God already knew Judas had that overwhelming love for Money and can do anything for it,that was why Judas did that trash
No proof? undecided
Smhfu

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by saintgoogle(m): 5:51pm On Apr 24, 2016
The bible believes that judas did that to fulfil the prophesy but why make him a scape goat if truly everything is predestined

My beleif is that we are all free to think and decide on our own and that's what differentiate us from angels and other creatures

2 Likes

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Oluwaseytiano(m): 6:04pm On Apr 24, 2016
Good question
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by TheABOMINATION: 6:57pm On Apr 24, 2016
Every decision a person makes is the result of their character (one they've built over the years). Whether judas would choose to betray jesus when faced with the choice, depends no his behavioural tendency / character. Same with his response after betraying jesus. So it is not about freedom to choose or the lack of, there are just some things that affect our choice of action, like whether we've formed the habit of choosing to do bad things, whether jesus looked us straight in the eye after doing what we vowed before him we won't do. God simply foreknows what we will do, and this why jesus said to peter you will deny me three times before the cock crows. He simply knew what peter would decide to do in such situation as a result of his character.

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 7:14pm On Apr 24, 2016
...nice response...
lalasticlala.. pls more opinions are needed!
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by analice107: 9:25pm On Apr 24, 2016
Do you know what predetermination Means? Is it predetermined that you would be a pathological liar or is it freewill that allows you lie? What about that money from your office you stole, what about that sexual immorality are committing? are these all predetermination?
God predetermined that all should come to repentance, but he still left the door open for you to make your choice to use the door.
What if you are forced to go to heaven and you get there and find the place too quiet , and you are the rough clubbing type, won't you blame God? You may chose hell, where all the famous people go. Only there, they won't be any celebrity there, only hot flames of fire.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by UyiIredia(m): 9:31pm On Apr 24, 2016
I believe it's all about free choice. Sven if.it where true one is destined to do a thing that doesn't mean free choice will be tampered with. God never tampers with free choice.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Amberon: 9:38pm On Apr 24, 2016
I like you.
analice107:
Do you know what predetermination Means? Is it predetermined that you would be a pathological liar or is it freewill that allows you lie? What about that money from your office you stole, what about that sexual immorality are committing? are these all predetermination?
God predetermined that all should come to repentance, but he still left the door open for you to make your choice to use the door.
What if you are forced to go to heaven and you get there and find the place too quiet , and you are the rough clubbing type, won't you blame God? You may chose hell, where all the famous people go. Only there, they won't be any celebrity there, only hot flames of fire.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by analice107: 9:41pm On Apr 24, 2016
Amberon:
I like you.
I like you more dear. Shalom.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
In absolute terms, we do not have free-will.

All our actions are determined by drives, instincts and "external forces" we did not choose.

I don't give a fvck about food. I don't care about sex. I don't even want to sleep...but yet, I do these things.

Now these are some of the very obvious ones, but when we still go granular, it's still the same with everything.

Essentially, we are like CPU controlled players in a football video game. We have a large array of options through which we can express ourselves, but in the end, we can only operate within the fixed boundaries which the programmers have already set.

You can't chose to headbutt someone who insults your sister, or say fvck football, I'm going to play baseball today.

You're stuck.

You didn't even choose to be born! Some years ago, I asked my sister, "If there were to be reincarnation, would you choose to come back?" Her response was instant, a retort: "Come back? Comeback and do what?!"

I asked a female cousin too, and she said "maybe", but that she'd want to be a flower.

Maybe we chose to come here on a level of consciousness we don't currently have access to. But it's still all the same.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Ranchhoddas: 8:30pm On Apr 25, 2016
analice107:
will there be freewill in Heaven?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by analice107: 9:07pm On Apr 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Does Angels have freewill? Why don't Christians
Read their bibles biko?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Ranchhoddas: 9:30pm On Apr 25, 2016
analice107:
Does Angels have freewill? Why don't Christians Read their bibles biko?
Is this a yes or a no?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Fynestboi: 9:43pm On Apr 25, 2016
This is a philosophical question i must say.... I call this kind of questions "The food i love to eat" lol cheesy.

The question you asked is if we are free or all our actions are predetermined? if i am on the track with the rephrase then i will give you argument for the both then you decide which you fall under, if you are been determined or you are free being.

let go...

For the question of if we are free, to determine that you need to ask yourself if the following element permeates your action, if so, then trust me you are a free agent.

also if your answers to the following are affirmative answers then trust me you are free and you are responsible for your action.

let take judas iscariot as an example.

Is judas conscious or aware of his action?

Is there an alternative that Judas would have opted for?

Is Judas action Deliberate?

Is Judas a rational being?

If all your answers to the above are YES, then trust Judas is a free being.

In the other way round, if you argue to the fact that our actions are predetermined then that presupposes that "Court of Law" will be useless, there wont be anything as good or bad, and human being wont be responsible for any act of evil performed.

Now answer these questions.

Can you live in a world where you wont hold responsible for the act you perform?

However, there are variance of determinism theories, but it still boils down to the fact that if our actions are predetermined by either (God, Nature, Society) it will leads to a distortion in the social order.

so which do you stand for?

But for the sake of your question, i will argue that our actions are free, but not totally free as there are some cases where situation dictate our action which will invalidate the recognition of alternatives in the element of freedom.

cc: Refiner

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by analice107: 9:46pm On Apr 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Is this a yes or a no?
Are you a christian? If yes. What does the Bible say?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by johnydon22(m): 10:08pm On Apr 25, 2016
analice107:

Are you a christian? If yes. What does the Bible say?

Just answer the God damn question... stop all this unnecessary rigmarole..

Ranchhoddas:

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by refiner(f): 10:09pm On Apr 25, 2016
Fynestboi:
This is a philosophical question i must say.... I call this kind of questions "The food i love to eat" lol cheesy.

The question you asked is if we are free or all our actions are predetermined? if i am on the track with the rephrase then i will give you argument for the both then you decide which you fall under, if you are been determined or you are free being.

let go...

For the question of if we are free, to determine that you need to ask yourself if the following element permeates your action, if so, then trust me you are a free agent.

also if your answers to the following are affirmative answers then trust me you are free and you are responsible for your action.

let take judas iscariot as an example.

Is judas[b] conscious or aware[/b] of his action?

Is there an alternative that Judas would have opted for?

Is Judas action Deliberate?

Is Judas a rational being?

If all your answers to the above are YES, then trust Judas is a free being.

In the other way round, if you argue to the fact that our actions are predetermined that that presupposes that "Court of Law" will be useless, there wont be anything as good or bad, and human being wont be hold responsible for any act of evil performed.

Now answer these questions.

Can you live in a world where you wont hold responsible for the act you perform?

However, there are variance of determinism theories, but it still boils down to the fact that if our actions are predetermined by either (God, Nature, Society) it will leads to a distortion in the social order.

so which do you stand for?

But for the sake of your question, i will argue that our actions are free, but not totally free as there are some cases where situation dictate our action which will invalidate the recognition of alternatives in the element of freedom.

cc: Refiner

...brilliant!....fanks hun....

I fink it's a bit clear to me now!smiley
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by analice107: 11:16pm On Apr 25, 2016
johnydon22:

Just answer the God damn question... stop all this unnecessary rigmarole..
Mind your language man. I don't respond to curses.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by davien(m): 12:00am On Apr 26, 2016
refiner:

this question have been bothering me for so long so I decided to write it down here,I might find a clear solution here!

in the bible Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus,and remember Judas betrayal was already known to God,did Judas have a choice,and should he be held responsible for betraying Jesus?

is our salvation predestined by God? or is it a result of our own free will to respond to God's grace?

could Judas Iscariot have changed his own destiny by choosing to ask God's forgiveness like peter did,instead of committing suicide?OR was he pre-destined to betray jesus and become the vessel of God's wrath?

cc lalasticlala

Fun fact, judas died differently in the Bible... There's the part where he hung himself and the part where he bought a field with the money and God smite him dead in it...

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by johnydon22(m): 7:46am On Apr 26, 2016
analice107:
Mind your language man. I don't respond to curses.
It seriously was not a curse .... nawa oo
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by analice107: 8:24am On Apr 26, 2016
johnydon22:

It seriously was not a curse .... nawa oo
"goddamit", is a curse word.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by johnydon22(m): 9:15am On Apr 26, 2016
analice107:

"goddamit", is a curse word.

Ok ok ok sorry.. Now can we stop going over these unnecessary dodges and get the question answered
Ranchhoddas:
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Humblebloke(m): 1:39pm On Apr 26, 2016
Nice question RANCHODDAS....

the freewill thingy sounds ridiculous.....if there is really a god who knows the end from the beginning

where is the freewill......is it a game undecided

2 Likes

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by analice107: 8:15pm On Apr 26, 2016
johnydon22:

Ok ok ok sorry.. Now can we stop going over these unnecessary dodges and get the question answered
Why is that important to you, Is there heaven?
I answered that question. In Heaven, Jesus said we shall be like Angels. Do Angels have free will no. Why do you need freewill in Heaven? there won't options to choose from.
It's just going to be us who wants only God to rule over us. You guys won't be there nah. So we won't be needed willpower.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Weah96: 9:26pm On Apr 26, 2016
People who say that we have freewill don't understand the attributes and the nature given to the Bible god.

If you manufacture human beings in your factory, and you also manufacture the time and space which those humans will occupy later, and you can see the future while possessing the intelligence of all knowledge itself in your divine head, then those manufactured humans will never have a choice of their own ever. At least not from the perspective of the divine manufacturer.

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by OgundeleT(m): 11:11pm On Apr 26, 2016
analice107:
u will be a good pastor, may be whenever am ready to build my church i will hire you to be twisting bible for the morons that will be coming to worship. u do well. so predetermine and want are the same in your own dictionary?

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by analice107: 10:21am On Apr 27, 2016
OgundeleT:

u will be a good pastor, may be whenever am ready to build my church i will hire you to be twisting bible for the morons that will be coming to worship. u do well. so predetermine and want are the same in your own dictionary?
If that will make you sleep at night, why not?
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by OneManLegion(m): 7:31pm On May 02, 2016
There are too many loop-holes inherent in religions.
Religions are necessarily filled with dogmas, most of which are unreasonable.
Humans should be past this point now.

1 Like

Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by benjibabs(m): 10:27pm On May 04, 2016
refiner:

cc lalasticlala

@ Op,

Predestination is different from foreknowledge. God knew Judas would betray Jesus, but He did not predestined him to do so. In the same way, God already knew those that would accept Christ’s gift and be saved and those that would not, but He did not predestined <u>individuals</u> to go to hell/heaven.

As per Judas, read the following scriptures:

John 12:
Six days before the Passover ceremonies began, Jesus arrived in Bethany where Lazarus was—the man he had brought back to life. 2 A banquet was prepared in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, and Lazarus sat at the table with him. 3 Then Mary took a jar of costly perfume made from essence of nard, and anointed Jesus’ feet with it and wiped them with her hair. And the house was filled with fragrance.
4 But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples—the one who would betray him—said, 5 “That perfume was worth a fortune. It should have been sold and the money given to the poor.” 6Not that he cared for the poor, but he was in charge of the disciples’ funds and often dipped into them for his own use!

Judas was stealing from the disciples’ fund! And he did OFTEN. This, I believe, opened him up to what happened to him later in Luke 22:

And now the Passover celebration was drawing near—the Jewish festival when only bread made without yeast was used. 2 The chief priests and other religious leaders were actively plotting Jesus’ murder, trying to find a way to kill him without starting a riot—a possibility they greatly feared.
Then Satan entered into Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples, 4 and he went over to the chief priests and captains of the Temple guards to discuss the best way to betray Jesus to them. 5 They were, of course, delighted to know that he was ready to help them and promised him a reward. 6 So he began to look for an opportunity for them to arrest Jesus quietly when the crowds weren’t around.

Also, read carefully what Jesus said when he prayed for his disciples in John 17:

9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept;and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

Note that Jesus said he kept those that God gave him except for Judas, referred to as the son of perdition. So, why did Jesus not keep him or pray for him like he did for Peter when Satan tried to sift the disciples (Luke 22:31-32)? The answer is in the last sentence: so that the scriptures might be fulfilled! God foreknew that Judas would be Jesus’ disciple; He knew Judas would allow Satan to enter him and betray Jesus; God put it in His Word and Jesus predicted it, and it happened.
Re: Do We Have Free Choice Or Is Everything Predetermined? by Kay17: 8:19am On May 05, 2016
What do you mean by freewill? Does it include deciding which economic class and background one wants? Or the type of family? or one's religion? Can free will make a man choose to be wiser, better at mathematics? Can free will make one a genius?

Is omniscience necessary for freewill? Can a foolish or ignorant man really exercise free will? If I am unaware of Options BCDE but only of A, have I freely decided? And if I'm aware of the other options, would my decision really change?

It is necessary to know what sort of free will you are talking about.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Opm Pastor And David Ibeyeome @ Logger Heads? / Why Are So Many Christians Against Jehovah Witnesses ? Why ? / Happy Easter To All Nairaland Members !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.