Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats (34776 Views)

5 Artistes Who Chose To Do Music Even Though Their Parents Were Billionaires!! / 5 Nigerian Artistes Who Acquired A G-wagon (photos) / 5 Artistes Who Started Their Careers With OJB Jezreel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by mary2014: 12:28pm On Apr 25, 2016
The music industry is known for plagiarism which weirdly has become like an acceptable thing amongst artiste.

But, even as acceptable as it has become, a lot of those whose songs are stolen, in a way get little or nothing out of this while some get like a minute or highest 30 minutes fame out of it.

Now, this trend is no stranger to even the biggest shot caller in the game as the reigning kings of the music industry tops this list

Today, we will be discussing five artistes who copied/stole some one or two of their hit songs/materials from upcoming/top artistes in the industry

Now, before we get right into the post, please note that this is in no way a hate post, as I personally love all the artistes on the list. So, if you feel your fingers are itching so much you need to type a rude comment, kindly place them on your severely cracked wall, distorted kitchen sink or any barb wired fence.

tuface_idibia_2

Tuface/Blackface/African Queen: This right here was like the epic of all song theft case in the history of the Nigerian music scene. The evergreen song, 'African Queen' powerfully rendered by Tuface became a smashing hit in no time, placing him in the hall of fame for legends in the entertainment industry. African queen not only topped charts, it went global. It became the song, Hollywood practitioners could directly link with Nigeria without as much as scattering their Ed Sheeran locks (Their brand of dread). Seeing how much fame Tuface got from this one song and is still getting, Blackface, one half of Plantashaun boys, Tuface's former boy band group, rose up like Timon and Pumbaa, who are always on the look out for worms, began ranting. He made it clear to everyone who would listen that he owned and wrote the song. Years after, even after the case seemed to have died down with Tuface reportedly paying for the said song, Blackface still stylishly makes reference to it, but can we blame him, its 'African Queen' that's like the song that can change anyone's career assuming you have the same charisma and humility like Tuface. Reports also claims that the song African Queen was actually sung by a Jamaican, Sizzla Kolonji in other words, Tuface stole a stolen song.
Davido

2. Davido/Password/Gobe: In 2014, I alongside millions of Nigerians danced to this awesome song from Davido. Gobe, was like the only song even people in the northern part of the country would want to listen to day in day out, yes it was that big. This song brought him unprecedented fame that I dare say catapulted him from an 'Oh its that boy Davido' to 'Na Davido music we want here o' Gobe was so big, Password(Real owner) could no longer shrug off the pain and jealousy that was gingerly hanging up on his shoulder. Password himself had released the same song in 2011, but did nothing for his career before Davido, took over and made it a hit. He reportedly paid N500,000 after copyright claims cropped up.

WIZKID (1)

3. Wizkid/Dammy Krane/Babanla: Even before this claim surfaced, Wizkid has for a while been hit with all sort of song theft accusations, which got most people wondering if the 'Pakurumo' crooner, was not smart enough to write himself some hit song. Dammy Krane, an artiste signed unto Tuface's Hypertek records, took to social media to vent. From stealing materials to actually stealing the song Babanla, Wizkid, made our list of artistes who are kings of plagiarism.

olamide1

4. Olamide/ D'banj/Don't Stop: Yes, he made the list. Even after D'banj came out claiming the song was given to him, the same D'banj said artistes could come to his place, whatever material they see and like, they are allowed to take. According to D'banj: "I have songs you guys have not heard. I have songs that I’m about to release with producers you guys have asked me to work with. From time, anyone can come into my studio and listen to our songs and not just Olamide can come in. To me, it’s not stealing, I see it as inspiration. ....This particular one, this is a line I have been saying for a long time, “Shake it, don’t break it, it took your mama nine months to make it.” I actually heard it from Prince Aremo Oniru. Even Baddo (Olamide) had played about it saying, “Baba if you no use this line I go use am o” but I said I go use am"....need I say more?

Sean-Tizzle

5. Sean Tizzle/Sound Sultan/Sho Lee: Sho Lee shot Sean Tizzle from a singer status to a fast rising singer in no time. The song was a massive hit. It was so massive that it got the attention of the label, Naija Ninjas, Sean Tizzle was signed to before he left abruptly, violating his contract. The case was taken to court before both team decided on amicably settling the issue to avoid unnecessary amount of money being wasted on legal fees.

Know some songs that ought to be on the list? Kindly put them in the comment box, to be used for the next article.

Written by: Tope Delano

@Tope_Delano

http://tooxclusive.com/editorial/top-5-famous-artistes-who-are-copy-cats/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by vizkiz: 12:30pm On Apr 25, 2016
them dey craze undecided

If you know someone stole your song, then you go ahead and drop your own version of the song! Let's take don jazzy and wande coal's saga on the "babyface" song as an example...After don claimed he owned the song, the next thing he did was release his own version and everybody was happy (though wande's version was better)

Same thing goes for Davido and password in Gobe. Password claims he owns the song and he went ahead and dropped his own version.... E be like say na just 3 copies sell sha grin

What if I tell you lalasticlala stole my post as the supermod nko? Will you start blaming him just like that? undecided

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Ojestas(m): 12:44pm On Apr 25, 2016
OP, Airforce is missing on this list!

5 Likes

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Imortal001: 12:44pm On Apr 25, 2016
What of psquare the copy cat king... They copy, seh teh dem copy m.j and usher raymond dance!

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Lordabas: 12:44pm On Apr 25, 2016
Nothing like copy cats here. IF you plaglarize you're a criminal end of.
So Those artists are criminals and should be arrested with immediate alacrity.

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Juxtified(m): 12:47pm On Apr 25, 2016
Well, what is done is done.
Isn't there a way artistes can protect their intellectual properties, even before being released to the media or even your own colleagues?

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by kingDELE(m): 12:59pm On Apr 25, 2016
So because Olamide used dat line, dat means he stole it

Its pple Like u dat claims dat Indian films are stolen because many of dem have d same story line

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by oshe11: 3:53pm On Apr 25, 2016
u mean itgrin
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by holluwai(m): 3:53pm On Apr 25, 2016
Werin this op smoke? undecided
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by rawtouch: 3:53pm On Apr 25, 2016
c.umm.ing.......

durella vs dbanj

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 25, 2016
Are piracy and plagiarism synonyms undecided
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by MoneypassGod(m): 3:54pm On Apr 25, 2016
How did psquare not make dis list??

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by henrydadon(m): 3:54pm On Apr 25, 2016
abeg who don see fuel buy?

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Sijo01(f): 3:55pm On Apr 25, 2016
Intellectual theft is one thing I think Nigeria or even the world at large cannot fight.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Presbulg(m): 3:56pm On Apr 25, 2016
What a bunch of pvssies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by mccoy47(m): 3:56pm On Apr 25, 2016
Stealing a line is termed plagiarism?
Ok na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by oldtopics(f): 3:57pm On Apr 25, 2016
My name is Chloe but the C and L are silent at night undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Mediapace: 3:57pm On Apr 25, 2016
Why Makinde Azeez of naijaloaded no dey list

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by nikkypearl(f): 3:59pm On Apr 25, 2016
Ojestas:
OP, Airforce is missing on this list!
You mean Airforce100 grin grin
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 25, 2016
This is why I like 9ice; I've never heard a case of him stealing anyone's song.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by nwachonum: 4:00pm On Apr 25, 2016
mitcheeew, dem go just dey post anyhow things
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by lanxlot(m): 4:00pm On Apr 25, 2016
Lordabas:
Nothing like copy cats here. IF you plaglarize you're a criminal end of.
So Those artists up there are criminals
make u kukuma go arrest one of them na. grin grin make he take u release track afta he deal with u finish.
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by MemphisDepay(m): 4:00pm On Apr 25, 2016
So I won't be going to camp on wed now! Ogaooooo
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by prinsam30: 4:01pm On Apr 25, 2016
after all stealing is not corruption
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 25, 2016
OP::

Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by adimoh99(m): 4:01pm On Apr 25, 2016
Oga please go to Linda Ikeji with your article am sure youlll
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by philtex(m): 4:02pm On Apr 25, 2016
AIRFORCE1 cheesy
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by Jediel1(m): 4:02pm On Apr 25, 2016
And so what na happen as dem b copycats. Dem dey earn money and police no dey bother dem.
Re: Top 5 Famous Artistes Who Are Copy Cats by EmekaBlue(m): 4:02pm On Apr 25, 2016
I bet they sang it better...if d original owner did it wudnt make a hit

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kunle Afolayan Reacts To His Brother, Aremu Afolayan's Video, Distances Himself / Humblesmith Acquires New Pajero Jeep After Europe Tour / Wizkid Makes Up With Fan He Fought At The Club (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.