Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,720 members, 7,802,173 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan (45479 Views)

The Way Iheanacho Was Begging Musa To Pass The Ball Is Actually Very Funny - Pic / Blind Femi Opabunmi Duped By Fake Pastors And Imams / Pathetic! Ex-eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Turns Beggar On The Streets Of Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by olillywales(m): 8:10am On Apr 26, 2016

Femi Opabunmi, a former Nigerian football player, who started his football career in Ibadan, Oyo State, played for Shooting Stars FC and Super Eagles has significantly turned into a beggar in Ibadan, Oyo State. According to sources, Femi who went for an eye surgery years back which ended his career has resorted into begging when help failed him from every corner.

He practically begs from anyone he spots. ‘If you see him and greet him like an ex-footballer he is, the next thing is for him to ask you for money and his slogan has always been, ‘I don’t know what my wife and kids will eat today, we have nothing at home’, a source said. The source also said this has been working, until people got tired of the same story everyday and now do not take him seriously anymore, which has really made things gone worse for him.

He said Opabunmi could be located somewhere around Ring Road, the street beside Echos bar, incase anyone wants to help him, and give the one time lively footballer a life again.

Source: http://www.ladunliadinews.com/2016/04/femi-opabunmi-turns-beggar-in-ibadan.html?m=1

2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by pyyxxaro: 8:21am On Apr 26, 2016
I remember this guy angry

Devil wicked oh

When ur village people decide to ON infrared and Bluetooth for @thesame time

Make una fear this God sad

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 26, 2016
I don't know him, but what did he do with all the money he made during his playing days? Police recruitment is still on jor, go and apply and pray

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by sen8or(m): 8:22am On Apr 26, 2016
Like seriously??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Unblockable: 8:31am On Apr 26, 2016
According to the report, he played the FIFA U-17 Championship in 2001 that means he should either be 16 or 17 then. If I'm not mistaken, that means he was born around 1984/85. And if he's born around 1984/85, then he should just be 31 or 32yrs now. Definitely, if that's the case, his wife should be between 27 to 30. So why would he say his wife and kids are hungry when his wife is still young enough to make money either by hook (business, office work) or by crook (whatever that means)? I also blame him for 'chopping' all his money then.

The guy is definitely not 31 or 32. He should be in his 40s. And that's the disadvantage of those ridiculous age they keep parading as their official (football) age.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Icon4s(m): 8:53am On Apr 26, 2016
olillywales:

Former Nigeria international winger, Femi Opabunmi has reportedly turned to a beggar in the city of Ibadan.

Opabunmi represented Nigeria at the 2002 FIFA World Cup in Korea and Japan and had a total of three caps for the Super Eagle before he retired.

The former winger who has been trailed with reports of financial difficulties is said to have turned to a beggar in Ibadan.

According to blogger, Ladun Liadi, sources revealed that the former Shooting Stars forward has resorted to begging after he an eye surgery years ago ended his career.

"He practically begs from anyone he spots. If you see him and greet him like an ex-footballer he is, the next thing is for him to ask you for money and his slogan has always been, ‘I don’t know what my wife and kids will eat today, we have nothing at home," the source told Metronaija.

Metronaija's report states that Opabunmi could be located somewhere around Ring Road, the street beside Echos bar.

He played for a few clubs, including Shooting Stars FC, Grasshoppers Zürich (Switzerland) and Chamois Niortais in France.

He studied at Methodist High School Ibadan and played for the Methodist High School Ibadan Old Boys. Serious eyes problems stopped his career since 2006.

Opabunmi scored a goal to help Nigeria win the African U-17 Championships in 2001.

He was a key player at 2001 FIFA U-17 World Championship where he scored a hat-trick against Australia and won the Silver Shoe as second highest goalscorer and also the Bronze Ball as third best player in the tournament, helping Nigeria to reach the final where they lost to France.

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/04/former-super-eagles-winger-reportedly.html

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

Femi Opabunmi.

He has been in this state for some time.
Also reminds me of the last days of Rashidi Yekini.

Problem is most of these guys think they can play football and retire at 60 or 65 jst like in every other profession. They often forget the life span of a footballer's career is very short.

Femi simply did not manage his resources well.

I know a good number of footballers that were hit by health set backs very early in their careers but they are not begging today.

Let all well meaning Nigerians come to his aid in any possible way.

lalasticlala and mynd44 u too can play your parts in helping Femi.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 26, 2016
Should i feel sorry for him now? He played football for a while, at least he came by some money. What did he do with it?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 26, 2016
Unblockable:
According to the report, he played the FIFA U-17 Championship in 2011 that means he should either be 16 or 17 then. If I'm not mistaken, that means he was born around 1984/85. And if he's born around 1984/85, then he should just be 31 or 32yrs now. Definitely, if that's the case, his wife should be between 27 to 30. So why would he say his wife and kids are hungry when his wife is still young enough to make money either by hook (business, office work) or by crook (whatever that means)? I also blame him for 'chopping' all his money then.

The guy is definitely not 31 or 32. He should be in his 40s. And that's the disadvantage of those ridiculous age they keep parading as their official (football) age.
dude, it was 2001 not 2011

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Hillzy(m): 10:17am On Apr 26, 2016
Sometimes I just sit n wonder how some professional football will squander all their moni to point of begging to feed, if u consider them as pple to help wat about those poor beggers n their childern on d road side

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Segadem(m): 10:17am On Apr 26, 2016
Haba

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 26, 2016
Sad,considering the fact that the Nigerian govt cares not for em past heros/archivers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by slimpoppa(m): 10:19am On Apr 26, 2016
Sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Segadem(m): 10:19am On Apr 26, 2016
lofty900:
I don't know him, but what did he do with all the money he made during his playing days? Police recruitment is still on jor, go and apply and pray
[size=14pt]hmmmm, funny but true[/size]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by asumo12: 10:19am On Apr 26, 2016
embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by lanicky(f): 10:20am On Apr 26, 2016
This is what insurance and good health system would have avoidedsad

Vote Lanicky as Miss Nairaland 2016

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by naptu2: 10:20am On Apr 26, 2016
Fantastic winger at the u17 world cup in Trinidad and Tobago. They were beaten by Anthony LeTallec and Florent Sinama Pongolle in the final .

Unfortunately he didn't do anything spectacular after that world cup.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by DrObum(m): 10:20am On Apr 26, 2016
Nawa ooooo

*btw* all these ladies campaigning for Miss Nairaland, is there anything at stake or una no just get work

Cos the Seun wey I know no fit throw away money like that oooooo

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Akshow: 10:21am On Apr 26, 2016
Na wa o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by emerged01(m): 10:22am On Apr 26, 2016
Unblockable:
According to the report, he played the FIFA U-17 Championship in 2011 that means he should either be 16 or 17 then. If I'm not mistaken, that means he was born around 1984/85. And if he's born around 1984/85, then he should just be 31 or 32yrs now. Definitely, if that's the case, his wife should be between 27 to 30. So why would he say his wife and kids are hungry when his wife is still young enough to make money either by hook (business, office work) or by crook (whatever that means)? I also blame him for 'chopping' all his money then.

Hmm,mr investigator! No one send you all these brain wahala wey u dey give yourself o.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by emir99(m): 10:23am On Apr 26, 2016
If he die finish Na NFA or Na nff go be like we immotalise him instead of helping him nw wen his a life shaaaa

Lord save me from karashika

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by jamex93(m): 10:23am On Apr 26, 2016
shocked

chai

may God keep us from evil

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by kogirodent: 10:24am On Apr 26, 2016
Okay. Wizkid i fear for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by haibe(m): 10:25am On Apr 26, 2016
This is so sad.. this guy served Nigeria well in his u17 carreer back then.. this are the kind of people that should be helped by our government. Not Davido and wizkid

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Hardaysheenar(m): 10:25am On Apr 26, 2016
Wat a pity!!!!.....AYE LE oooo....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 26, 2016
Life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by adadioranmah(f): 10:26am On Apr 26, 2016
pyyxxaro:
I remember this guy angry

Devil wicked oh

When ur village people decide to ON infrared and Bluetooth for @thesame time

Make una fear this God sad
Plus Flash share and xender

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Walelavender(m): 10:26am On Apr 26, 2016
lofty900:
That's sarcastic! You don't need to know him before you pass an objective comment. For your info, he never made it big whilst he was a professional. He had a serious eye problem that ended his career abruptly at an early stage. Show some empathy.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by akpo20: 10:27am On Apr 26, 2016
Dem later finish dis guy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by sexytyga(m): 10:27am On Apr 26, 2016
Op you forgot to write that His also a scamer... Full of lies undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:27am On Apr 26, 2016
He said it with his mouth.
When he was making millions, he didn't invest.
Now he's @ ground zero. Now tell me can Mikel be poor? Not in this generation. Dude has a lot of investments

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by Hollawaley(m): 10:28am On Apr 26, 2016
From grace to grass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan by sugarbeesmith(m): 10:28am On Apr 26, 2016
am hungry too .#

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arsenal Player Salaries 2017-18 (clubs Wage Bill Revealed) / Mikel Obi With His Tianjin Teda Teammates, Chinese Club (Photo) / Messi Surprised By Magical Ronaldo Showing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.