Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,850 members, 7,806,400 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial (1140 Views)

Buhari Lacks Political Will To Halt By Fulani Herdsmen - Reps / Breaking News: Court Dismisses Melaye’s Case And Gives INEC Go Ahead For Recall / How Saraki Blackmailed INEC Boss In Order To Halt Dino's Recall- SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by Super1Star: 12:50pm On Apr 26, 2016
A Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday dismissed an application by the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, and his co-accused, David Nwawusi and Benjamin Madubugwu, asking for stay of proceedings in their ongoing trial.

Justice James Tsoho ruled that the application for stay of proceedings lacked merit and ordered that the trial would proceed in the mode earlier directed by the court.

Kanu and his co-defendants  are being prosecuted before the court on six counts of treasonable felony, unlawful possession of firearms and other offences bordering on their agitation for secession ‎of the Republic of Biafra from Nigeria.

They had asked for stay of proceedings ‎on the basis of the appeal which they had filed against the March 7, 2016 ruling of the court varying its earlier decision of February 19, 2016, by permitting prosecution witnesses to testify behind screen.

In dismissing the defendants’ application on Tuesday, Justice Tsoho relied on provisions of section 306 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, which prohibits courts from entertaining motions for stay of proceedings with respect to criminal cases.

Contrary to the contention by the defendants’ lawyer, Chuks Muoma (SAN), Justice Tsoho held that the provision of section 306 of ACJ Act could not deny an accused person fair hearing or right of appeal guaranteed an aggrieved party in a criminal case in section 241 of the Constitution.

The judge held that rather, the provision of the ACJ Act was to enhance the right to speedy trial guaranteed an accused person in the Constitution.

“Section 306 of ACJA removes hitches to speedy trial which is component of fair hearing,” Justice Tsoho ruled.

The judge also distinguished the trial of the Biafra agitators from that of the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, in which the Supreme Court last year after the advent of the ACJ Act, granted ‎an order for stay of proceedings in his (Saraki’s) trial before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

Justice Tsoho held that the prevailing circumstances informing the decision of the Supreme Court to grant stay of proceedings in Saraki’s case were not available in the instant case.

He said in Saraki’s case, the issue of whether the cases entertained by the CCT were criminal in nature or not was to be determined by the Supreme Court when the order of stay of proceedings was granted, was not available in the case before him.

‎He explained that it was not in doubt that the Federal High Court had jurisdiction to hear criminal cases.

The judge ruled, “It is more so, given that the application for stay of proceedings is not founded on lack of intrinsic jurisdiction of this court but on mode of mode of procedure to be adopted in the trial.”

The judge after dismissing the application held that the trial would proceed in the mode he had earlier directed on March 7.

The trial was adjourned till June 20 to 23.

The Punch.
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by Super1Star: 12:52pm On Apr 26, 2016
Eating of uncooked beans continues.......

Ndo to Dilector.
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 26, 2016
Amazing decision grin
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by madridguy(m): 12:55pm On Apr 26, 2016
Nnamdi Kanu should better apologize to the FG if not his days might be long inside Kuje maximum inbox.

I fear Government pass anything.
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by MirabelArode(f): 12:56pm On Apr 26, 2016
We Itshekiris believe in the leadership of the great Nnamdi Kanu. My Itshekiri brothers never let the yorubas deceive you, they want our oil. Osun cannot survive without oil money, the whole state is today worth only about $20,000.

This is why they want us in one naijeriya. Meanwhile Igbo states have survived without govt help.
My siblings schooled in the East, the quality of life there is better. We must follow Kanu. The muslim yorubas can no longer deceive us. We don't need an Emirate in Itshekiriland like the yorubas have.

All hail IPOB!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by chriskosherbal(m): 1:10pm On Apr 26, 2016
Is well

1 Like

Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by victorvezx(m): 1:25pm On Apr 26, 2016
director, more beans to your plate
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by victorvezx(m): 1:25pm On Apr 26, 2016
More watery beans for our dilector
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by macluvph1(m): 1:56pm On Apr 26, 2016
Nnamdi Kanu, all i can say is God bless you.

May your will be done on earth,ever shall it be world without end.Amen

The road to freedom is not easy but at the end you shall win.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by franchizy(m): 2:48pm On Apr 26, 2016
I feel bitter when i read where the IPOD youths beat there chests or celebrating kanu.
its obvious that kanu cannot escape justice.
The best the IPOD youths could do to save Kanu is to approach there state Governors, ministets from the SE, Members of the NASS and elder statesmen from the region to use them and reach out to the FG for a presidential pardon.
i see Kanu spending the rest of his life in prison. No amount of protest or chest beating can save Kanu.
The issue of Biafra cannot be actualized because the igbos are never united.
I sincerely sympathize with Kanu, his family, IPOB youths and the entire Ndigbo.
Wishing Kanu all the best as he continues to battle his case.

2 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by kunlexy1759(m): 3:24pm On Apr 26, 2016
It seems our Judicial is getting better nw.
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by amaechi1: 4:17pm On Apr 26, 2016
MirabelArode:
We Itshekiris believe in the leadership of the great Nnamdi Kanu. My Itshekiri brothers never let the yorubas deceive you, they want our oil. Osun cannot survive without oil money, the whole state is today worth only about $20,000.

This is why they want us in one naijeriya. Meanwhile Igbo states have survived without govt help.
My siblings schooled in the East, the quality of life there is better. We must follow Kanu. The muslim yorubas can no longer deceive us. We don't need an Emirate in Itshekiriland like the yorubas have.

All hail IPOB!

Please let be adult here. An individual that calls for arms against a state is a serious offense and can't be treated with kid gloves. I wish him well.
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by MirabelArode(f): 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2016
amaechi1:

[s]Please let be adult here. An individual that calls for arms against a state is a serious offense and can't be treated with kid gloves. I wish him well. [/s]

Trash. He called for arms with the truth. He said he will destroy nigeria with the truth. If nigeria is not a big fat lie why are fulanis and yorubas running helter-skelter to shout down Kanu and Radio Biafra?

Why not face the truth squarely. I don't respect people with a pedophile as their president. So move abeg!
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by Godjone(m): 4:27pm On Apr 26, 2016
amaechi1:

Please let be adult here. An individual that calls for arms against a state is a serious offense and can't be treated with kid gloves. I wish him well.
get out already
please point where you see ipob weiding a catapult or shut up for the rest of this thread.
Olodogrin
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by APCsupporter: 5:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
MirabelArode:

All hail IPOB!
macluvph1:
Nnamdi Kanu, all i can say is God bless you.
May your will be done on earth,ever shall it be world without end.Amen
The road to freedom is not easy but at the end you shall win.

These were the people that decieved him and put him into this problem. Can't you pity the guy already?
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by MirabelArode(f): 5:13pm On Apr 26, 2016
APCsupporter:

These were the people that decieved him and put him into this problem. Can't you pity the guy already?

You can't deceive a man to have his conviction. Kanu saw the truth and propagated it. That truth threatens the survival of lazy Apc zombies that why you fight it. But has truth ever lost out to lies? Of course not! grin
Re: Court Dismisses Kanu’s Application To Halt Trial by DaFlash: 5:25pm On Apr 26, 2016
Anytime hear the name Nnamdi before the mention of K. This comes to my mind. grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Possibility Of Impeachment Of President & Vice-president On Economy And Security / Photos: EFCC Gets Fresh Remand Order To Hold Fani Kayode For Three Weeks / Leaked! Buhari’s London Trip Is For A Secret Negotiation Meeting With The Niger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.