Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,449 members, 7,801,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities (6327 Views)

Insecurities As An Only Child / .n / Fighting Your Way Out Of Low Self-esteem; What I Must Do. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by SirShymexx: 3:34pm On Apr 26, 2016
I had to share this...Lil Kim just painted a picture that's deeper than rap. grin

I feel ya pain, Sis.

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by talktonase(m): 3:47pm On Apr 26, 2016
no wonder she is a nympho...
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by raumdeuter: 6:53pm On Apr 26, 2016
Have you seen her recent pictures?
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by tpiah11: 6:57pm On Apr 26, 2016
Does she not know she herself is European looking?

As per topic, black women have been called ugly routinely, its cultural clash things and maybe some are indeed ugly to some but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The person who called black women ugly has apologized, must we belabour the point.

Even some white men have said they like black women, e don do abeg.
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by zeb04(f): 7:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
she is speaking for herself so why generalize?

everyone has insecurity one area or the other. even kim Kardashian has undergone lots of plastic surgery as "white" as she is so why make it about black women?it shouldn't even be about women alone. fuc.khow about men who bleach and those who go for pink or purple lips?

this is a senseless thread as far as I am concerned.

10 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Sissie(f): 8:04pm On Apr 26, 2016
I guess that is why she decided to make herself look like the "Europeans" to please the men undecided

Some women seek validation from men they should not be bothered about.

4 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Stillfire: 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2016
Sorry to burst your bubble, most of us here cannot relate, go to an American blog and discuss your insecurities.

13 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by SirShymexx: 10:59pm On Apr 26, 2016
Lmao.

Can't relate but you changed ya nappy hair to the Eurocentric straight, bleached ya black skin etc.. Isn't naij the biggest market in the world for bleaching cream? They definitely can't relate. grin

At least Lil Kim is brave and matured enough to tell the world her deepest secret, thus getting the weight off her shoulder and also in the process, she has been able to show us what the average black woman feels inside. I feel ya pain - I didn't know it was this bad.

We love you, Lil Kim. grin kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8l_0N8lLWY

1 Like

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 26, 2016
Stillfire:
Sorry to burst your bubble, most of us here cannot relate, go to an American blog and discuss your insecurities.

Lol....
What can't you relate with, doesn't Africa have the biggest market for Brazilian, Peruvian and whatever kind of hair there is, do you know that atleast 80% of Nigerian women have attempted to bleach to bleach their skin at one point or the other?
You can relate alright, perhaps, you do relate...

2 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by HaneefahRN(f): 10:03am On Apr 27, 2016
Hmmmm. I see. I guess some people can relate with this.
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Stillfire: 1:29pm On Apr 27, 2016
njokusboy:

Lol....
What can't you relate with, doesn't Africa have the biggest market for Brazilian, Peruvian and whatever kind of hair there is, do you know that atleast 80% of Nigerian women have attempted to bleach to bleach their skin at one point or the other?
You can relate alright, perhaps, you do relate...

Let me give you a break down of the Nigerian girl growing up in the 80's and 90's which make up the youth population of today and you will see why most of us cannot relate to this premise.
Lil Kim's quote:
All my life, men have told me I wasn't pretty enough - even the men I was dating: A Nigerian guy dating a Nigerian girl from the okada man to a director of a company would never say this. In fact there is a stereotype that a Nigerian man meeting you for the first time would say ' I love you', 'I want to marry you'. This does not mean he means it, but he knows he cannot antagonize the woman he's dating. It is when he marries you, he graduates into a full arch-demon. grin

It's always been men putting me down just like my dad - Some Black Americans typically have generational daddy issues. Lil Kim ran away from home as a teenager. Her parents were divorced. I did not know any single child with divorced parents in the 80s or 90s. There were divorced people in our society but it was hidden. Our fathers are very much in our lives, whether good or bad. They ain't going nowhere. cheesy

I have low self-esteem and I always have. Guys always cheated on me with women who were European-looking. You know, the long-hair type. Really beautiful women that left me thinking: Nigeria does not have a considerable european looking population for Nigerian women to begin to compare and contrast.

So according to the title of this post, The ultimate source of the black woman self esteem and insecurities is that black men did not tell her she was pretty enough just like her dad and black men left her for european looking women.

We cannot relate to this sort of premise. I can relate to the adverse effects of colonialism on the African black psyche hence the proliferation of bleaching creams and weaves. Even African men had to stick to low cuts because it offended the colonialists if they let their hair grow out. It is appropriate we have our perspectives correct when discussing these issues.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by KevinDein: 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
Black woman is unarguably the most insecure human specimen with the most inferiority complex. Apart from the fact that they hate their skin color and hair, they are, disgusting as it is, quick to swallow whatever the west propagates hook line and sinker.
Right here on nairaland, the biggest supporters of gay, feminism (OK, understandably) and all sorts of immoral stuffs from the west are women.
They literally hate everything about themselves.
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by EfemenaXY: 7:43pm On Apr 27, 2016
KevinDein:
Black woman is unarguably the most insecure human specimen with the most inferiority complex. Apart from the fact that they hate their skin color and hair, they are, disgusting as it is, quick to swallow whatever the west propagates hook line and sinker.
Right here on nairaland, the biggest supporters of gay, feminism (OK, understandably) and all sorts of immoral stuffs from the west are women.

What's the correlation between women supporting gayism / feminism and them hating everything about themselves?

3 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by EfemenaXY: 8:16pm On Apr 27, 2016
SirShymexx:
Lmao.

Can't relate but you changed ya nappy hair to the Eurocentric straight, bleached ya black skin etc.. Isn't naij the biggest market in the world for bleaching cream? They definitely can't relate. grin

Sometimes, I honestly don't get you.

You claim you "love" your black sisters, yet in the same breath, you don't hesitate to use the derogatory term "Nappy hair" to describe our tight kinky curls. What gives?

One's use of beauty products / accessories is not a yardstick or any indication whatsoever that they suffer inferiority complex or have low self-esteem / insecurity issues with whom they are. Ever since the advent of colonialism, our women have flowed with the times in trying out and testing the latest beauty fads. Right from the 40's 50's and 60's, our mothers / grandmothers and I daresay great-grandmothers indulged in threading. This gave way to stretching one's hair with hot combs on the stove in the 60's and 70's to Jerry Curls in the 80's, to perms and weave-ons in the 90's, to our sisters going back to their natural roots - full circle.

I think you're just being unnecessarily harsh in your assessments of recent, or maybe it's just you creating these threads to catch your fun at the expense of others.

2 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Stillfire: 8:21pm On Apr 27, 2016
KevinDein:

I find this absolutely absurd when series of studies point that despite the history of slavery, the American black woman has a higher self esteem in America than their white or Asian counterpart. This trait is also seen in blacks in general.

http://www.rcgd.isr.umich.edu/prba/perspectives/springsummer2004/adams.pdf

Black adolescent girls are confronted with gendered role messages on sexual attractiveness and accommodation as well as racial messages about Black marginality in White America. Despite the effects of negative media images, early puberty onset, and unplanned pregnancies, a plethora of quantitative and qualitative studies have reported that Black adolescent girls consistently present high self-esteem scores (Adams, 2003; Alan Guttmacher Institute, 1999; Brodsky, 1999; Brown et al., 1998; Dukes & Martinez, 1994; Gray-Little & Hafdahl, 2000; Makkar & Strube, 1995; Milkie, 1999; Twenge & Crocker, 2002). In an empirical review of race comparative research published from 1980-2000, Adams (2003) found that 23 of 26 studies reported that Black girls had higher self-esteem than White girls. Black adolescent girls may be facing difficult circumstances but they consistently rate higher on self-esteem than any other racial group (Twenge & Crocker, 2002).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092656611000912

Black individuals have been found to report the highest levels of self-esteem of any racial group in the United States. The purpose of the present research was to examine whether Black individuals also report higher levels of narcissism than White individuals. Study 1 (N = 367) found that Black individuals reported higher levels of narcissism than White individuals even when controlling for gender, self-esteem level, and socially desirable response tendencies. Study 2 (N = 967) and Study 3 (N = 315) found similar results such that Black individuals reported higher levels of narcissism than White individuals on the narcissism measures that captured less pathological facets of this construct. Study 3 also included indicators of psychological adjustment and found that the pathological aspects of narcissism were more strongly associated with maladjustment for Black individuals than for White individuals. The implications of these results for understanding the Black self-esteem advantage are discussed.

3 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by SlimHan(f): 8:25am On Apr 28, 2016
Hmmm... D dad's part is d most painful. Its heart breaking when your very own family members put you down. Leads to depression in most cases.
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 28, 2016
lame op @sirshymexx. why don't you go hate on your momma...sisters....aunties...wife#if any.
black women are elegant,proud, and confident! hate all you want...your opinion cannot and don't count!
@lil kim, bae you've got issues only thou can mend...

3 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Owliver(m): 2:23pm On Apr 28, 2016
LyndaRoyce:
lame op @sirshymexx. why don't you go hate on your momma...sisters....aunties...wife#if any.
black women are elegant,proud, and confident! hate all you want...your opinion cannot and don't count!
@lil kim, bae you've got issues only thou can mend...
i doubt. fake hair, eye lashes, bleaching skin, etc. how does that correlate positively with the bold?

though not all applies to every woman
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by davidif: 1:40pm On Nov 24, 2016
Sissie:
I guess that is why she decided to make herself look like the "Europeans" to please the men undecided

Some women seek validation from men they should not be bothered about.

Preach, preach, preach!

1 Like

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by davidif: 1:45pm On Nov 24, 2016
Stillfire:

Let me give you a break down of the Nigerian girl growing up in the 80's and 90's which make up the youth population of today and you will see why most of us cannot relate to this premise.
Lil Kim's quote:
All my life, men have told me I wasn't pretty enough - even the men I was dating: A Nigerian guy dating a Nigerian girl from the okada man to a director of a company would never say this. In fact there is a stereotype that a Nigerian man meeting you for the first time would say ' I love you', 'I want to marry you'. This does not mean he means it, but he knows he cannot antagonize the woman he's dating. It is when he marries you, he graduates into a full arch-demon. grin

It's always been men putting me down just like my dad - Some Black Americans typically have generational daddy issues. Lil Kim ran away from home as a teenager. Her parents were divorced. I did not know any single child with divorced parents in the 80s or 90s. There were divorced people in our society but it was hidden. Our fathers are very much in our lives, whether good or bad. They ain't going nowhere. cheesy

I have low self-esteem and I always have. Guys always cheated on me with women who were European-looking. You know, the long-hair type. Really beautiful women that left me thinking: Nigeria does not have a considerable european looking population for Nigerian women to begin to compare and contrast.

So according to the title of this post, The ultimate source of the black woman self esteem and insecurities is that black men did not tell her she was pretty enough just like her dad and black men left her for european looking women.

We cannot relate to this sort of premise. I can relate to the adverse effects of colonialism on the African black psyche hence the proliferation of bleaching creams and weaves. Even African men had to stick to low cuts because it offended the colonialists if they let their hair grow out. It is appropriate we have our perspectives correct when discussing these issues.

Chei! See rebuttal. 21 gun salute for you.

2 Likes

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by purple3091: 2:08pm On Nov 24, 2016
Stillfire:
wow well am definetly not sorry you burst his balls ahahahaha opps sorry i meant bubbles,you are an inspirational wo/man.smiley
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Bibitayo2: 2:40pm On Nov 24, 2016
In my opinion, blacks are the biggest and unrepentant racist...

Let's call a spade a spade not an agricultural equipment... our hair is nappy,d
eal with it and let's call it nappy...our skin is black deal with it and let's call it black,we call theirs white and they don't throw tantrums over it.

We need to work on our self esteem stop taking everything the wrong way.

We play the race card way too much!!!
Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by daddytime(m): 2:45pm On Nov 24, 2016
Stillfire:

Lil Kim's quote:

I doff my hat...applause

1 Like

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 24, 2016
Here we go again undecided
shymexx, don't you get tired of creating threads like this

1 Like

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by SirShymexx: 3:19pm On Nov 24, 2016
Joavid:
Here we go again undecided

shymexx, don't you get tired of creating threads like this

Lol, this is an old thread from April - someone just gave life back to it.

Igala chic, still waiting for you to twerk that big batty fi mi.

1 Like

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by SirShymexx: 3:22pm On Nov 24, 2016
davidif:

Chei! See rebuttal. 21 gun salute for you.

Lol, it's funny that the person who wrote the post you saluted also suffers from the issues highlighted on the thread but the epistle was just a ploy to mask it.

Or how else would you classify a black person who bleaches her skin and uses chemicals to straighten her nappy hair? grin

1 Like

Re: The Ultimate Source Of Black Women's Low Self Esteem And Insecurities by teemy(m): 6:49pm On Nov 24, 2016
our people bleach their people tan and even tatoo in colors. everyone wants more than what they are. since the money is theirs they are free to do as they like. however, if the reason is insecurity they should realise 'people' can't be satisfied.

(1) (Reply)

Do Wives Do This Or I Just Have A Bad One? / Me And My Albino Baby Pictures / Feminism: Has It Done More Harm Than Good?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.