Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,817 members, 7,798,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:51 AM

The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? (694 Views)

The 2 Priests And 15 Others Killed By Fulani Herdsmen In Benue (Graphic Photos) / PHOTOS: Herdsmen Whose Cows Invaded And Destroyed Farmlands In Ekiti Get Arreste / Killing Of Southern Kaduna People By Fulani Herdsmen (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? by Deadlytruth(m): 6:45am On Apr 27, 2016
To those Southern delegates who teamed up with their Northern counterparts to object to and reject the idea of state police in the last confab, what went around has begun to come around in the form of the Fulani Herdsmen who seem to have just commenced a full scale invasion of the South with Enugu State as the latest focal point.
It is rather unfortunate that Nigerians are more reactive than proactive hence some Southerners, in the wake of this surge in Fulani Herdsmen attacks and Buhari's silence, are now calling for upgrading local vigilante and even self-help (an actually disguised agitation for state police) after having rejected state policing at the confab. Call it being penny wise and being pound stupid.
Those Southerners who objected to state police based their choice on the arguement that its abuse by state governors for electoral heist is inevitable. However they conveniently forgot that the FG itself has always abused the centralized police for same purpose. They as well forgot that, according to Fashola, there are institutions to check such abuses but there are no institutions to bring back lost lives occasioned by the absence of state police and failure of the overcentralized policing system. Moreover, abuse of state police for elections is seasonal and in fact once in four years. But loss of lives is daily and even per second.
It might rightly be argued that Jonathan's confab was nothing other than a time bidding mechanism aimed at temporarily diverting attention from the failures of his government to tackle immediate challenges. The mere fact that GEJ neither favoured a truly Sovereign National Conference nor demonstrate any will to implement the report of the travesty confab (which though contained no provision for state police or even an upgrade of local vigilantee) put him across as lacking in understanding of true federalism and its potential to engender the peace and security which we all now seek in the wake of Fulani Herdsmen metamorphosis into a BH-like deadliness.
However one might not expect Buhari to favour state police and true federalism as he is a Northerner whose people harbour the fear that fiscal federalism would spell revenue difficulties for their states and that state police may subtly empower the Biafra breakaway effort.... though very erroneous as one keeps wondering how much the Eastern Regional police could complement Ojukwu's efforts in the Biafran war of 1967 to 1970.
Please don't ask me for suggestions on solution as the only solution is decentralization of police which we all already knew but which some of us-unfortunately Southerners- out of our predeliction to always form our opinions on issues of national importance from the APC vs PDP political antagonism perspective, bought freely into the theory of electoral abuse of it as propounded by GEJ and co.
People must learn to live with the consequences of their choices............Hilary Clinton.
Re: The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? by kogirodent: 6:46am On Apr 27, 2016
okayment
Re: The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? by emmalexabl(m): 7:03am On Apr 27, 2016
State police is long overdue.,especially now that its obvious that FG police cant even protect itself let alone the citizenry..

But then Buhari is our problem.,these bokoharamists masquerading as fulani heardsmen are carrying out the jihad b/c they having the backing of the FG...

An igbo proverbs goes thus " a child sent to rob by his father does not sneak into victims house.,rather he anouces his arrival by breaking down the door "
Re: The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? by nnachukz(m): 7:10am On Apr 27, 2016
I saw this on Facebook.... I cant verify. So judge for yourselves
3. This call was made in the presence of 13 men and 4 women, the president aid (aide)told the Governor that the president will get back to him.
4.The president through his aid(aide) after 4 hrs told Enugu state governor that the president will do something about it.
5. "...Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi on hearing that the police have not arrived at Uzouwani called GOC 82 division for help. He was refereed to the presidency again.
6. This time around, he was put on hold for nearly 2 hrs again, while waiting to speak to the president. News came in that the attack he was planning to prevent has actually taken place.
7. Within an hour, the commissioner and GOC who refereed the Governor to the president has mobilised their men to stop retaliation. The same way Lagos and Agatu was attacked and retaliation prevented.
We need to know why police commissioner and GOC need presidency order before they can protect the innocent citizens?.
We need to know - why police and military sent their men to Uzouwani after the attack to prevent retaliation?.
We need to know why a sitting Governor cannot use the support of police and military to protect his people?.

1 Like

Re: The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? by Deadlytruth(m): 7:43am On Apr 27, 2016
nnachukz:
3. This call was made in the presence of 13 men and 4 women, the president aid (aide)told the Governor that the president will get back to him.
4.The president through his aid(aide) after 4 hrs told Enugu state governor that the president will do something about it.
5. "...Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi on hearing that the police have not arrived at Uzouwani called GOC 82 division for help. He was refereed to the presidency again.
6. This time around, he was put on hold for nearly 2 hrs again, while waiting to speak to the president. News came in that the attack he was planning to prevent has actually taken place.
7. Within an hour, the commissioner and GOC who refereed the Governor to the president has mobilised their men to stop retaliation. The same way Lagos and Agatu was attacked and retaliation prevented.
We need to know why police commissioner and GOC need presidency order before they can protect the innocent citizens?.
We need to know - why police and military sent their men to Uzouwani after the attack to prevent retaliation?.
We need to know why a sitting Governor cannot use the support of police and military to protect his people?.

There is only one answer to all your posers above. It is that there is no state police. And GEJ did the South a huge disservice by making a childish case against it with his electoral abuse theory.
Re: The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? by vickylincon(m): 9:37am On Apr 27, 2016
nnachukz:
not verified!!! pls, don't let us politicize this issue as we did to boko haram. most of these heardsmen are not Nigerians. In my own view, I think this issue is not being handled well by the police.. not the military because it is within the jurisdiction of the police (civil crime). I pray that we will overcome this problem soon.
God bless Nigeria
Re: The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? by Deadlytruth(m): 10:14am On Apr 27, 2016
vickylincon:
not verified!!! pls, don't let us politicize this issue as we did to boko haram. most of these heardsmen are not Nigerians. In my own view, I think this issue is not being handled well by the police.. not the military because it is within the jurisdiction of the police (civil crime). I pray that we will overcome this problem soon.
God bless Nigeria

I don't think the expression of genuine fears based on a sensitive information as that could be tantamount to politicization. We hoodwinked ourselves into believing that BH was a political menace until it defied all politicization theories and began to seize and take over LGAs. The earlier we look at things for what they might exactly be the better for us. Unfortunately the PDP supposed to take up this revelation of FG's laxity is not helping matters by its focus on 2019 elections.
Re: The Enugu Invasion By Fulani Herdsmen: Whose Fault? by Deadlytruth(m): 10:22am On Apr 27, 2016
vickylincon:
God bless Nigeria

I don't think the expression of genuine fears based on a sensitive information as that could be tantamount to politicization. We hoodwinked ourselves into believing that BH was a political menace until it defied all politicization theories and began to seize and take over LGAs. The earlier we look at things for what they might exactly be the better for us. Unfortunately the PDP supposed to take up this revelation of FG's laxity (the same way the Republicans neary ruined Clinton with conspiracy theories-based accusations over Libya bombing that took the life of the US Ambassador to Libya) is not helping matters by its focus on 2019 elections.

(1) (Reply)

A MUST READ !!!! MOTHER ON TRIAL FOR KILLING FOUR OF HER OWN CHILDREN / Horror! Demons Possess Schoolgirls After Playing This Gam / BREAKING:SARS To Kill A Man Over Inability To Provide N500,000 Bribe In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.