Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Moi Moi The Silent Killer - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Moi Moi The Silent Killer (86385 Views)

Renal Failure: A Silent Killer / Hypertension: The Silent Killer / Audu Ogbeh: Stop Eating Moi-Moi Made In Cellophane. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by khristals(m): 7:01pm On Apr 27, 2016
so iya basira has bn killing me slowly all this while

2 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Obiwannn: 7:01pm On Apr 27, 2016
mtchew undecided
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by prinsam30: 7:01pm On Apr 27, 2016
you for kuku MA say make we no dey wear clothes again na, since clothes na from leafs them make them.

Abi u no sabi say those crude oil wey u mention so, na from them the clothes wey dey ur body dey come from.

my brother na only God go safe mankind, this is Wat we called 21st century packaging

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by mathias32(m): 7:02pm On Apr 27, 2016
I will still eat, long hiss
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by WhoDeyThere(m): 7:03pm On Apr 27, 2016
so water from overhead tank are not safe too. in since they r plastic too.

4 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by jtwest(m): 7:03pm On Apr 27, 2016
;Dnigerians still dey chop mehmeh? Money dey dis country o, ok @op weyaf heard. But what doesn't cause cancer dese days? Sitting silently in ur bathtub whistling fela song sef dey cause cancer.

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by starlingbawa(m): 7:04pm On Apr 27, 2016
I appreciate the knowledge gotten from this thread.

Now, I can say I'm fully aware and also give advise to friends and family alike.

Thank you so much OP for this write up.... I appreciate!!!

3 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Youngzedd(m): 7:05pm On Apr 27, 2016
scholes0:
na lie jor .... Iro funfun (white lie)
Even in the west, there are hot fast foods served or microwaved in plastic containers.

shocked shocked

Ignorance they say is a disease.

Read the article again.

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 27, 2016
Absolutely! TRUE! have always known. some times folks boil or heat this plastic containers numerous times wash and reuse it numerous times too thereby making it even more lethal.

5 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by montezz(f): 7:06pm On Apr 27, 2016
Moi moi dey hungry me now sef.
@op u can lie o *in Emmanuella's voice
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by starlingbawa(m): 7:06pm On Apr 27, 2016
prinsam30:
you for kuku MA say make we no dey wear clothes again na, since clothes na from leafs them make them.

Abi u no sabi say those crude oil wey u mention so, na from them the clothes wey dey ur body dey come from.

my brother na only God go safe mankind, this is Wat we called 21st century packaging

After all the information the OP just dished out... You can't possibly be serious, right?

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by prinsam30: 7:06pm On Apr 27, 2016
RichYoungNigger:
Why are you lying ??
Only the ignorant folks will believe this.

Do you know what coca cola is made of ??

Just pour some coca cola, fanta, sprite on a rusted iron or a dirty surface, you will see how it will clean the rusted iron or dirty surface out.
Do you know what the same coca cola does to your internal organs and intestine ??

I'm not that dumb to believe what you just wrote

Gbam!
abeg my brother tell am make him hear, no be today bombom dey for back

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by gfunkstyl: 7:07pm On Apr 27, 2016
dadee007:
Many Decades ago, the word Cancer seemed isolated; restricted to some faraway lands abroad but not common in Africa and most especially, not in Nigeria. But nowadays, cancer has become very prevalent on these shores and has taken the lives of many prominent Africans and Nigerians alike. In this series, we would be looking at what has changed and what we might be doing wrong which we weren’t doing back then that has now led to a spike in the number of cancer cases and as a result, cancer deaths in Nigeria.

Have you ever had this in a fast food restaurant in Nigeria before? If yes, you should desist. You want to know why? Okay, here is why:

In days of old, beans pudding also known as moi moi used to be prepared in leaves. Leaves are organic, natural and harmless. They even give a nice flavour to the beans pudding when cooked.

But today in most places, they are prepared in plastic containers and people still gobble it up, oblivious of the inherent dangers of this modern practice.

Plastics are hydrocarbon.

To explain what this means to the lay man, plastics are gotten from crude-oil; just like your petrol, diesel and engine oil.

When plastics are heated, they release chemicals and these chemicals get into the food that the plastics are used to cook like the beans pudding, moi moi for example. Most of these plastics contain a chemical known as Bisphenol A also known as BPA. When you heat the plastics- as with any stable chemical composition, it becomes unstable and releases these chemicals.

As a rule, DO NOT heat any plastic container with food in it or cause it to become hot e.g by leaving it in the sun.

Although, in advanced countries, there are BPA-free plastics being widely used because of the dangers of ordinary plastics, you can be sure that the plastic used for your moi moi is not BPA-free as BPA-free plastic is not cheap so you cannot buy your moi moi for N250 and expect it to be in BPA-free plastic.

So, as a precaution know these:

There are so many different types of plastics with different uses for each but avoid heating all types of plastics. Including the ones that say on it, “microwave-safe”, “dishwasher safe” etc. Plastics are plastics.

When you want to warm food you kept in plastic in the freezer, put the food in a ceramic bowl, pot or pan before warming it- and that includes the quick warming we do by putting water in a pot and warming the food inside the container that was used to freeze it. (Yes, we know about that)

Take extra care if pregnant as these plastic chemicals affect the unborn child.

Be safe till next time. Bye.

Source:
http://laffhub.com/blog/moi-moi-the-silent-killer

This is so on point particularly for our working class folks we need to be more careful
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by scholes0(m): 7:07pm On Apr 27, 2016
Youngzedd:

shocked shocked

Ignorance they say is a disease.

Read the article again.

smiley

Make I hear word joor.
By d way, if you have hot moi-moi there, pls pass am come my side. cheesy
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 27, 2016
dadee007:

Yes, tin can be used if it is made specially for that purpose like the tins made to make cakes etc. But if it is a disused tin like the one you removed sardines from etc, those actually have the walls coated with BPA or Epoxy resin which is what you are trying to avoid in the first place.

What of Moi Moi inside foil ?

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by starlingbawa(m): 7:08pm On Apr 27, 2016
WhoDeyThere:
so water from overhead tank are not safe too. in since they r plastic too.

Did you read the part where the OP was referring to the word 'HEATED'??

2 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by bobkezel(m): 7:08pm On Apr 27, 2016
Op, u ar wrong. Plastics only emit those chemicals when they are dry-heated. When they are heated in water(wet heating), they don't emit those chemicals cos water inhibits the emission. Have you ever poured water inside a nylon bag and try to heat it on naked flames? You will be suprised that the water will boil without the nylon bag melting. So mr op, get your info straight before you post it here or elsewhere.

2 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2016
What of those wrapped and cooked in foils? Op please clarify on this if their is any dangers to be worried about...

2 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by nairaman66(m): 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2016
This is true!! cry
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Youngzedd(m): 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2016
Isoni:
They now tie okpa with inside nylon, the devil is a liar

The thing dey vex me wella.

The one without nylon taste better. I avoid the ones with nylon.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 27, 2016
very TRUE even some plastic water bottles. they have different qualities (grade) next time you buy a plastic bottle of water look at the bottom end you will find a number sign written on it indicating the Grade of the bottle.

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by mosakutosin: 7:11pm On Apr 27, 2016
Marriage
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by rhymaholic: 7:11pm On Apr 27, 2016
wow.. This is inciting. I never actually thought of this until now.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by prinsam30: 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2016
starlingbawa:

After all the information the OP just dished out... You can't possibly be serious, right?

very very serious my guy, it is when you start believing in those bulshit, you'll start get fvcked up with them.

I don't fvcking believe in them, cos av been eating moi moi with peakmilk container and nylon for the past 27yrs now and I'm still waxing stronger
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by planetx: 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2016
If you go by the amount of foods that medical experts said not to eat because of the risk of one disease or another you will be eating green leafs like a goat for the rest of your life.

Meat because of cancer, rice because of diabetes, eggs high cholesterol, fish is contaminated with mercury, poultry because of high blood pressure and on and on it goes.

As long as you eat everything in moderation and live a physically active life, you should be ok.

6 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by rawtouch: 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2016
kevoh:
Na where dem dey sell dis moi-moi leave for Abuja sef? All we get is moi-moi Nylon.

mr Biggs

2 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Youngzedd(m): 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2016
scholes0:

Make I hear word joor.
By d way, if you have hot moi-moi there, pls pass am come my side. cheesy

grin grin

What I need here is Okpa, I ain't a fan of moi moi. After eating moi moi the kind of fowl mess will be next to none.

Okpa cooked with leaf is the best.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by bundur(m): 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2016
iya uru give me moi moi make i enjoy
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Nobody: 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2016
EMEKA1MILLION:
What of those wrapped and cooked in foils? Op please clarify on this if their is any dangers to be worried about...
foil is also lethal as it is aluminuim you can wrap in foil but not boil or cook in Alu.foil.

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Dapsin2901: 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2016
I lean from this topic thanks bro for this post
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Odunharry(m): 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2016
Martins301:
Hmmmmm......

After cooking my first ever moi-moi dish just yesterday here, I log onto nairaland only to see this. Na so una take dey give people heart attack o.

BTW is using nylon also bad? Na im I use o sad
I doubt though
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by mosakutosin: 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2016
tru talk jare dadee007, if dem lyk make dem hear, na dem get dem bodi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos: No Social Distancing This Morning, Gtbank, Ikorodu BRT Terminal Pictured / No Bra Day Tweet Goes Wrong / Victor Ikwuemesi Dies Of Coronavirus In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.