Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Moi Moi The Silent Killer - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Moi Moi The Silent Killer (86374 Views)

Renal Failure: A Silent Killer / Hypertension: The Silent Killer / Audu Ogbeh: Stop Eating Moi-Moi Made In Cellophane. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by 9jatatafo(m): 10:52pm On Apr 27, 2016
OP are over head water tanks not plastics? What about plastic pipes used in passing water from those tanks to our kitchens?
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by howaits: 11:16pm On Apr 27, 2016
Hmm, Plastic products are really risky and unhealthy for our body.
It's time to be found another alternative ways for food packaging.
Overall, Nice share.

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by TaiKuun(m): 11:20pm On Apr 27, 2016
RichYoungNigger:
You've transformed from a liar to a lion.

I have a degree in biology from Ohio state university.

So, plastic bags causes cancer ??

The Nigerian government should invest heavily on education.

your dad has successfully wasted his money.

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 27, 2016
Heard about this long time ago though, also same with drinking hot tea with plastic cups. (don't know how true) but I wanna ask, must it be with leaves eehh @OP? what about cooking with aluminum foil? That's what I have been using for long shaa, hope I have not been endangering my life too much. God will surely save us. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by milorites: 11:51pm On Apr 27, 2016
Yet, I have visited fast food restaurant in Nigeria and there I have found garage foods. May, There are another cause of cancer.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by millhouse: 2:01am On Apr 28, 2016
maxwell767:
>sad
thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by pablus: 2:27am On Apr 28, 2016
so where can i get leaves to make my moi moi now
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Lady1m: 3:35am On Apr 28, 2016
dadee007:
Many Decades ago, the word Cancer seemed isolated; restricted to some faraway lands abroad but not common in Africa and most especially, not in Nigeria. But nowadays, cancer has become very prevalent on these shores and has taken the lives of many prominent Africans and Nigerians alike. In this series, we would be looking at what has changed and what we might be doing wrong which we weren’t doing back then that has now led to a spike in the number of cancer cases and as a result, cancer deaths in Nigeria.

Have you ever had this in a fast food restaurant in Nigeria before? If yes, you should desist. You want to know why? Okay, here is why:

In days of old, beans pudding also known as moi moi used to be prepared in leaves. Leaves are organic, natural and harmless. They even give a nice flavour to the beans pudding when cooked.

But today in most places, they are prepared in plastic containers and people still gobble it up, oblivious of the inherent dangers of this modern practice.

Plastics are hydrocarbon.

To explain what this means to the lay man, plastics are gotten from crude-oil; just like your petrol, diesel and engine oil.

When plastics are heated, they release chemicals and these chemicals get into the food that the plastics are used to cook like the beans pudding, moi moi for example. Most of these plastics contain a chemical known as Bisphenol A also known as BPA. When you heat the plastics- as with any stable chemical composition, it becomes unstable and releases these chemicals.

As a rule, DO NOT heat any plastic container with food in it or cause it to become hot e.g by leaving it in the sun.

Although, in advanced countries, there are BPA-free plastics being widely used because of the dangers of ordinary plastics, you can be sure that the plastic used for your moi moi is not BPA-free as BPA-free plastic is not cheap so you cannot buy your moi moi for N250 and expect it to be in BPA-free plastic.

So, as a precaution know these:

There are so many different types of plastics with different uses for each but avoid heating all types of plastics. Including the ones that say on it, “microwave-safe”, “dishwasher safe” etc. Plastics are plastics.

When you want to warm food you kept in plastic in the freezer, put the food in a ceramic bowl, pot or pan before warming it- and that includes the quick warming we do by putting water in a pot and warming the food inside the container that was used to freeze it. (Yes, we know about that)

Take extra care if pregnant as these plastic chemicals affect the unborn child.

Be safe till next time. Bye.

Source:
http://laffhub.com/blog/moi-moi-the-silent-killer

2 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by professore(m): 4:38am On Apr 28, 2016
Golden rule: As a rule, DO NOT heat any plastic container with food in it or cause it to become hot e.g by leaving it in the sun

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by harizonal123(m): 5:30am On Apr 28, 2016
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by bishopsele84: 7:02am On Apr 28, 2016
Funny you must be from the island speaking part of edo state
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Greatness366(f): 7:59am On Apr 28, 2016
Equalizer:
And I just finished making my moi moi now with nylon.. what will I do now?
Lol dispose them

3 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Obynolee(f): 8:16am On Apr 28, 2016
scholes0:
na lie jor .... Iro funfun (white lie)
Even in the west, there are hot fast foods served or microwaved in plastic containers.

Did you read the post at all or you did you read without assimilation?

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Destinygrl(f): 8:22am On Apr 28, 2016
what of aluminum foil ??
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Electroweb(m): 9:06am On Apr 28, 2016
RichYoungNigger:
Why are you lying ??
Only the ignorant folks will believe this.

Do you know what coca cola is made of ??

Just pour some coca cola, fanta, sprite on a rusted iron or a dirty surface, you will see how it will clean the rusted iron or dirty surface out.
Do you know what the same coca cola does to your internal organs and intestine ??

I'm not that dumb to believe what you just wrote

Do you know that the operating conditions like temperature, pressure e.t.c in the environment is different from the one in your internal organs? Both chemical reactions cannot be compared.

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Lolaabokoku(f): 9:25am On Apr 28, 2016
K
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by AppDevt: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2016
Seraphine12:
And I just bought 2 dozens of plastic moi-moi plates yesterday.
Should I throw them away?
Use them to put stuff in the freezer . Buy little cake pans instead but the best option is the leaves.

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by adorablekay(f): 11:32am On Apr 28, 2016
Thank you so much, was even planning on preparing moi moi this weekend, I'll have to wait for local market day to get the leaves.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by aminadat: 12:51pm On Apr 28, 2016
RichYoungNigger:
You've transformed from a liar to a lion.

I have a degree in biology from Ohio state university.

So, plastic bags causes cancer ??

The Nigerian government should invest heavily on education.

Going to school won't teach u everything. You can't learn about this in school. Learning is everyday affair. Be wise & stay healthy by avoiding cooking with plastics.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by fm7070: 3:26pm On Apr 28, 2016
no wonder our grand parent lived much longer
because they cooked and warmed their moi moi in leaves.
they lived a chemical-free life.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Imokay: 3:49pm On Apr 28, 2016
You can order your moi-moi in leaf wraps from us. Its sumptuous and healthy. We deliver to your home or office on the mainland. We will do Island if its a bulk order. Chat us up on whats app at Moinmoinplus on +2349083943885 to place your order.

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by charlsecy(m): 3:53pm On Apr 28, 2016
dadee007:
.....they are prepared in plastic containers and people still gobble it up, oblivious of the inherent dangers of this modern practice.
How about those in aluminium foil?
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 29, 2016
Kennitrust:
guy am grateful for the awareness u infused on me. But play some patients role with me here by answering this. I am addicted to water since 2007. I drank nearly if not 3litres of water everyday (that is about 7-8 sachat of pure water daily and without which i cannot satisfy my thirst for water. So what advice do u have to share here with me? Thanks.
there is no amount of water that is too much, drink as much water as possible buy make sure that the are not in sachet but the ones in plastic bottles or better still carry you own water bottle or Gallon as you people call it. grin make sure they are also not contaminated by boiling them otherwise you may get cholera virus.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Kennitrust(m): 10:24pm On Apr 29, 2016
undecided
gypsey:
there is no amount of water that is too much, drink as much water as possible buy make sure that the are not in sachet but the ones in plastic bottles or better still carry you own water bottle or Gallon as you people call it. grin make sure they are also not contaminated by boiling them otherwise you may get cholera virus.
if sachet water is harmful, then nobody is safe. undecided
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by charlsecy(m): 3:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
Kennitrust:
undecidedif sachet water is harmful, then nobody is safe. undecided
A good sachet water is relatively safe provided it is not exposed to high heat or sunlight, which could make the chemicals used in manufacturing the container become unstable and possibly leak into the water.

gypsey:
but the ones in plastic bottles
Provided you do not expose them to intense heat or sunlight, they should be OK. Excessive heat could make the chemicals used in manufacturing the container become unstable and possibly leak into the water.

gypsey:
there is no amount of water that is too much..
Not really. Although it is rare, water intoxication is possible and could be fatal!
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Kennitrust(m): 4:08pm On Apr 30, 2016
charlsecy:
A good sachet water is relatively safe provided it is not exposed to high heat or sunlight, which could make the chemicals used in manufacturing the container become unstable and possibly leak into the water.

Provided you do not expose them to intense heat or sunlight, they should be OK. Excessive heat could make the chemicals used in manufacturing the container become unstable and possibly leak into the water.

Not really. Although it is rare, water intoxication is possible and could be fatal!
what of food in the food flake. if this one too is harmful then op. u are also guilty of this oo. I saw u the other time eating mama put for one join like that at night oo.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by charlsecy(m): 10:18am On May 01, 2016
Kennitrust:
what of food in the food flake.
I said plastic which should include plastic flasks. I think stainless steel, glass, ceramics [especailly unglazed] are safer.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Kennitrust(m): 10:44am On May 01, 2016
charlsecy:
I said plastic which should include plastic flasks. I think stainless steel, glass, ceramics [especailly unglazed] are safer.
thanks for ur concern to keep me updated on this life threatening matter. But to me i don't know what else to do because i'll never stop drinking sachat water. I had no means to go the safer way. But if you know any easy way to go safer, pls be a brother keeper. Thank you.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by charlsecy(m): 1:48pm On May 01, 2016
Kennitrust:
I had no means to go the safer way. But if you know any easy way to go safer, pls be a brother keeper.

The only way to stay harmful-chemical-free is to go back to the Stone Age. It is all about sacrifices; you will become close to nature, but will lose all the technological perks of modern life. For example, is exhaust fume good for us? Should we now ban vehicles?You choose.

It appears everything we do these days is bad. They will tell you nearly all the food you eat is bad for you, this and that. What do they want us to do? YOU NEED NOT BE TENSE. Exposure to these chemicals do not necessarily mean one will suffer consequences, but that it increases risks of suffering consequences. Smokers are liable to die young, for example, yet there are old-time smokers.

Remember we have organs such as liver, kidneys and the likes that flush out toxins from our body. The system works to remove foreign materials from the body. However, overload or excessive exposure to harmful chemicals could overpower the body's tendency towards balance.

We may not be able to avoid or eliminate all harmful exposures, but we do well to limit them. Clean water in sachets is not harmful in itself; it is exposure to intense heat or sunlight that could lead to chemicals used in sachet production leak into the water, thereby making the water less healthy. SOME STILL SAY THAT EVEN COLD WATER IN PLASTIC IS NOT HEALTHY.

You can consider taking sachet water newly produced and has not been refrigerated or exposed to sunlight. Whatever we do, it is still one or two things that will contribute to our demise. No matter how healthy we live, we all will still encounter our end.

Also exercise, both aerobic and strength-training, take more of fruits and vegetables than processed foods to reduce risk of exposure to harmful chemicals.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Kennitrust(m): 3:32pm On May 01, 2016
charlsecy:

The only way to stay harmful-chemical-free is to go back to the Stone Age. It is all about sacrifices; you will become close to nature, but will lose all the technological perks of modern life. For example, is exhaust fume good for us? Should we now ban vehicles?You choose.

It appears everything we do these days is bad. They will tell you nearly all the food you eat is bad for you, this and that. What do they want us to do? YOU NEED NOT BE TENSE. Exposure to these chemicals do not necessarily mean one will suffer consequences, but that it increases risks of suffering consequences. Smokers are liable to die young, for example, yet there are old-time smokers.

Remember we have organs such as liver, kidneys and the likes that flush out toxins from our body. The system works to remove foreign materials from the body. However, overload or excessive exposure to harmful chemicals could overpower the body's tendency towards balance.

We may not be able to avoid or eliminate all harmful exposures, but we do well to limit them. Clean water in sachets is not harmful in itself; it is exposure to intense heat or sunlight that could lead to chemicals used in sachet production leak into the water, thereby making the water less healthy. SOME STILL SAY THAT EVEN COLD WATER IN PLASTIC IS NOT HEALTHY.

You can consider taking sachet water newly produced and has not been refrigerated or exposed to sunlight. Whatever we do, it is still one or two things that will contribute to our demise. No matter how healthy we live, we all will still encounter our end.

Also exercise, both aerobic and strength-training, take more of fruits and vegetables than processed foods to reduce risk of exposure to harmful chemicals.
it will please God to keep u away from harm. thank u for offering me ur time. let say that; we live by the Grace of God. Our new systems of life seem threatening, but then "LIFE GOES ON" Thanks you dear! Happy New Month.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Dnockeror333(m): 6:40am On Mar 31, 2017
RichYoungNigger:
Why are you lying ??
Only the ignorant folks will believe this.

Do you know what coca cola is made of ??

Just pour some coca cola, fanta, sprite on a rusted iron or a dirty surface, you will see how it will clean the rusted iron or dirty surface out.
Do you know what the same coca cola does to your internal organs and intestine ??

I'm not that dumb to believe what you just wrote

Please, make it known. We await the believed unbeleiveables. Science and local logic verses acceptable nuance in a polarise society.
Come on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Python Bites Thai Teenager On His Penis While Sitting On Toilet (Pix, Video) / Lagos: No Social Distancing This Morning, Gtbank, Ikorodu BRT Terminal Pictured / No Bra Day Tweet Goes Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.