Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,451 members, 7,781,306 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:09 PM

NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg (33764 Views)

Labour Presents New Minimum Wage Demand Above The N56,000 Earlier Proposed / FG Okays 29-member Panel On N56,000 Minimum Wage Demand / Oshiomhole Increases Minimum Wage To N25,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by yemmight(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2016
SleekAboki:

It would be negotiated to 30-40k. But they deserve better.

Oga. No be this period I beg. NLC should be canvassing for the scrapping of the NASS or reduction in number so that they can earn better.
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Surfboard(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2016
I'm in full support, and in fact, it should be more than 56,000. How much can someone who earns 18,000 do with that wage? Can he comfortably afford a flight from Lagos to Abuja if he wanted to?

How to get the money to pay? Simple. Cut percentages from the allowances of political office holders. If we have the money to pay them bogus amounts, we surely do have the money to pay at least 56k.

The common man deserves some luxury as well

2 Likes

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Agimor(m): 5:50pm On Apr 27, 2016
r
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by ajebuter(f): 5:50pm On Apr 27, 2016
I don't mean to sound insensitive here, but what can even 56k do?

And I can bet my best pair of jewelry this move to even increase it to 30k would be fought to a standstill by this government..

A government that fails to redeem its pledge of a mere 5k to its impoverished supporters??

This is the move that will send Buhari to the school of Economics sharp sharp... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Ridwan123(m): 5:50pm On Apr 27, 2016
Good development

1 Like

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by oosamole(m): 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2016
DropShot:
In as much as I support any move to improve workers' living conditions, I think it's time we faced reality.

The first thing NLC, TUC and other pressure groups need to be fighting day and night for is to force the political elites, especially the NASS members to reduce their pay. It's not enough to condemn and criticize their allowances and other benefits online without backing it up with serious protests. Once we're able to force the politicians to reduce their benefits to around 40% of what they get now, and with the war on corruption being fought with the unrivaled zeal we see now, soon, politics will become unattractive.

I also have issue against collective bargaining strategy of these labour bodies. Why don't we allow each state's union body to agree with their respective govt on what the realistic minimum wage for the state will be? I believe that's the only sensible thing to do.

Lastly, if we're to be sincere with ourselves, I don't see how the current economic situation can support increase in minimum wage considering that our earnings have seriously reduced. Besides, increase in minimum wage benefit those at the top rung of the ladder most. The workers who actually need the minimum wage the most (messengers, cleaners, drivers, etc) don't benefit as much as the top guns.

[s][/s]
Hypertension doesn't discriminate on age or sex. Be warned!

You made sense bro.
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by KINGDOS: 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2016
Association of dead woods attempting to wake when they are already laid to the fire, mtchew!
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by omooba969(m): 5:57pm On Apr 27, 2016
SleekAboki:
With over $300 billion so far recovered, Buhari administration can logically afford to pay such minimum wage now. Other bodies should also follow suit and demand their rights. All these declared billions is too huge not to serve the collective good.

@bolded,

Abeg reference ur claim & u will defo make sense.

cool
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by harjayi(m): 5:57pm On Apr 27, 2016
Is it the Government that find it dificult to pay 18000 that will pay 56000. This NLC need correct lecture, cus its seen they are aying with our mind
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by demolinka(m): 5:57pm On Apr 27, 2016
Increasing salaries is not even the issue, but can they sustain payment considering the current oil prices? NLC abeg channel energies to more pressing issues.
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by calabardick(m): 5:59pm On Apr 27, 2016
Hmmm, another scheme

Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by amuokuko: 5:59pm On Apr 27, 2016
Aregbesola would be like "Gawd punish this kind wickedness".

NLC/TUC wan turn workers to millionaires over night..
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 27, 2016
Una no want make Baba save for d snowy day ni.... grin
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Agimor(m): 6:03pm On Apr 27, 2016
This is the initial stage of the practical collective bargaining. the propose minimum wage is not attainable even the NLC are very much aware at the longrun it will be trimmed down to about 25k or so.
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by teehay45(m): 6:05pm On Apr 27, 2016
I don't see this happening in this current dispensation
Make dem dey realistic. If govt is to implement this, many people will lose their job
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by spartoo: 6:05pm On Apr 27, 2016
mccoy47:
56,000 gini? But NLC should be realistic na!
they believe in the typical Nigerian mentality that th FG is going to price.
so at th end they'll com up with somtin mayb not up to 50k but reasonable
grin
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by spartoo: 6:07pm On Apr 27, 2016
mccoy47:
grin
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by spartoo: 6:07pm On Apr 27, 2016
mccoy47:
grin
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Chukzyfcb(m): 6:09pm On Apr 27, 2016
Although I agree the minimum wage of the country should increase. But this is a Goodmove at the wrong time. Even the 18,000 state governors are finding it hard to pay.
Moreover, the last min.wage was about 7800 increased to 18,000; which signifies about 120% Increase.....Now from 18,000 to 56,000 is about
300%, HABA! This Increment isn't realistic atallz. Especially in this trying times
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Okeycima: 6:09pm On Apr 27, 2016
Misplaced priorities,instead of these men to look How to pressure the state chairmen of NLC and TUC to make state Governors to pay the already owe money before presenting this issue
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by lancdoz: 6:10pm On Apr 27, 2016
NLC is trying to seek attention right now because no right thinking Nigerian will demand something extra ordinary from this government when the country problem is gianamoues
Some State cant even pay 18k
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Chukzyfcb(m): 6:13pm On Apr 27, 2016
ajebuter:
I don't mean to sound insensitive here, but what can even 56k do?

And I can bet my best pair of jewelry this move to even increase it to 30k would be fought to a standstill by this government..

A government that fails to redeem its pledge of a mere 5k to its impoverished supporters??

This is the move that will send Buhari to the school of Economics sharp sharp... grin grin grin

Madam, 56k can do a whole lott. Don't be judging that amount simply because you are in a mega city like Lagos or abuja or Ph. Visit Ekiti state for example and you'll know that with 56,000 you can live very very fine not to mention states in the north (zamfara,etc) that has very low standard of living
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Abagworo(m): 6:13pm On Apr 27, 2016
Surfboard:
I'm in full support, and in fact, it should be more than 56,000. How much can someone who earns 18,000 do with that wage? Can he comfortably afford a flight from Lagos to Abuja if he wanted to?

How to get the money to pay? Simple. Cut percentages from the allowances of political office holders. If we have the money to pay them bogus amounts, we surely do have the money to pay at least 56k.

The common man deserves some luxury as well

Its easy to increase the salary but it will make no economic sense as the 56k will end up being equivalent of 10k today as a result of resultant inflation.
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by ajebuter(f): 6:16pm On Apr 27, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

56k can do a whole lott. Don't be judging that amount simply because you are in a mega city like Lagos or abuja or Ph. Visit places in Ekiti for example and you'll know that with 56,000 you can live very-fine not to mention low standard of living in the North!

You are right sha...I am a Lagosian and I guess I'm judging things the way it is here..
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Surfboard(m): 6:16pm On Apr 27, 2016
Abagworo:

Its easy to increase the salary but it will make no economic sense as the 56k will end up being equivalent of 10k today as a result of resultant inflation.

Is it the same amount you bought stuff in 2011 that you're buying them now?

My point, there will always be inflation. Prices always go up and never come down. Why should salaries stay down perpetually for the fear of prices pushing up further?
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by BeardedMeat(m): 6:18pm On Apr 27, 2016
eagleeye2:
where's the money to pay? when States are seeking for bailout.
Where is the money to pay, the DD increased Aso rock feeding allowance from 700million in 2015 to 1.7billion in 2016. Where is the money to pay? What about the trillions in dollars recovered from looters?
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by malton: 6:18pm On Apr 27, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Larryhoover(m): 6:20pm On Apr 27, 2016
SleekAboki:
With over $300 billion so far recovered, Buhari administration can logically afford to pay such minimum wage now. Other bodies should also follow suit and demand their rights. All these declared billions is too huge not to serve the collective good.
Can you analyze how the $300 billion was recovered by showing detailed figures Or you mean $3billion
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by BeardedMeat(m): 6:21pm On Apr 27, 2016
Ghandi12:

If they have millions and billions to spend on less than 500 people they must also have 56,000 on a common man...we have been warning them - them no dey hear!
What about 1.7b feeding allowance for aso rock et al?
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by afolayangs(m): 6:27pm On Apr 27, 2016
DropShot:
In as much as I support any move to improve workers' living conditions, I think it's time we faced reality.

The first thing NLC, TUC and other pressure groups need to be fighting day and night for is to force the political elites, especially the NASS members to reduce their pay. It's not enough to condemn and criticize their allowances and other benefits online without backing it up with serious protests. Once we're able to force the politicians to reduce their benefits to around 40% of what they get now, and with the war on corruption being fought with the unrivaled zeal we see now, soon, politics will become unattractive.

I also have issue against collective bargaining strategy of these labour bodies. Why don't we allow each state's union body to agree with their respective govt on what the realistic minimum wage for the state will be? I believe that's the only sensible thing to do.

Lastly, if we're to be sincere with ourselves, I don't see how the current economic situation can support increase in minimum wage considering that our earnings have seriously reduced. Besides, increase in minimum wage benefit those at the top rung of the ladder most. The workers who actually need the minimum wage the most (messengers, cleaners, drivers, etc) don't benefit as much as the top guns.

[s][/s]
Hypertension doesn't discriminate on age or sex. Be warned!
this may not be achievable so it's better they face reality which what they are doing now. God bless
Re: NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg by Vongsama(m): 6:38pm On Apr 27, 2016
No. Oh no please don't do this. This is the least of our problems. Pls I hope d dullard from daura display his i-dont-care attitude on this matter. Our inflation is bad already n believe me if our economy n naira value is good even the 18k will b too much. Jst imagine $18k as minimum wage in d USA. That'll be to much na. Let's jst work on hw to get naira a good value even if its N70 to $1 (am sceptical this boooohari can't do that though bt I call for his support on this one)
Pls someone talk sense into this NLC n TUC.
God bless Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Commissions A Flyover At Spera Indio, Abakaliki, Ebonyi (Photos) / Buhari To Attend Nuclear Security Summit In Washington / Hijab Crisis: CAN Hasn’t Learnt From History, Says MURIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.