Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:49 PM

How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress (4808 Views)

How To Migrate Your Blog From Blogger To WP Without Loosing Traffic / 3 Reasons Why You Should Not Move From Blogger To Wordpress, Yet! / Photos From Blogger Anyalekwa’s Baby Dedication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by haconjy(m): 9:02pm On Apr 27, 2016

Back in the day, Blogger was one of the top blogging and website platforms.

While it’s still a well regarded option today, many small businesses need a platform that’s more robust and flexible. That’d be a platform like WordPress.

Sure, moving from Blogger to WordPress will provide many benefits, but there are few tasks more dreaded than moving a website. Getting you past that dread and helping you move your site is the purpose of the rest of this article.

That’s right. If you’re wondering how to move from Blogger to WordPress, the steps below should help you work through the process from beginning to end.

Here’s What We’re Going to Do

During the course of this example, you’ll see how to import the content (posts, pages, links, images and comments) from this Blogger site to the WordPress site shown below it:

Step 1

The first thing you need to do is get your new self-hostedWordPress site up and running (these steps will not work with a site hosted on ).

Once that’s done, read through the next section until you get to step 2.

Why YouShouldn’t Use the WordPress Built-In Blogger Importer

One of the cool things about WordPress is the many importing tools that are included. As you can see, a tool for importing a Blogger website is included:

Clicking on the “Blogger” link will open a screen from which you can install a Blogger importer plugin. Once the plugin is installed and activated, you’ll see this screen:

Everything seems to be going smoothly however, once you hit the, “Authorize” button shown in the image above, you’ll see this error screen:

This happens because, at the time this is being written, the importer plugin has not been updated in a long time and thus it’s no longer compatible with the way Google works.

The solution? Use a plugin thatdoes work with the new Google setup.

Here’s What You Should Do Instead

Step 2

Click on the “Plugins” menu item on the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard. Once you see the screen below, click on the, “Add New” button at the top.

Step 3

On the next screen, enter “Blogger Importer Extended” in the the search box on the top right and hit “return”.

Step 4

The Blogger Importer Extended plugin should be the first one shown in the left column. Click on the, “Install Now” button to add it to your WordPress install.

Step 5

When you see the screen below, click the “Activate Plugin” link on the bottom left:

Step 6

Next, go back to the Plugins list by clicking on the “Plugins” menu item on the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard. Find the Blogger Importer Extended plugin that you just installed and click the, “Start!” link beneath the name:

Step 7

When you see this screen, click the, “OK, let’s go!” button:

Step 8

Now you’ll be taken to the Google authorize screen where you can let Blogger now that it’s OK for this WordPress site to access your Blogger site. This is the step where the previous plugin failed.

You may well wonder what Google has to do with all this. Google owns Blogger so when you sign into your Blogger site, you’re also signing into your Google account.

If you’re not logged into Google at this stage, do so. Once you’re in, click the, “Accept” button:

Step 9

The next step is to select which Blogger site you want to import. In the example below, we only had one site. However, if you have more than one, they will all be shown. Click on the correct site to select it:

Step 10

There are a couple of options available when you import your Blogger website. We recommend that you keep both selected as shown below:

The “Preserve slugs” option is especially key as it will assure that the link to each post will retain the name it had when it was on the Blogger site. A post’s slug is found at the top of the post editing screen. The highlighted text shown in the image below is an example:

Step 11

As you can see below, your Blogger content will now be imported into your WordPress site. The blue bar shows a completed task, the gray bars are tasks still to be done.

Note that tasks with, “0/0” displayed in their bar will never turn blue.

Step 12

The last step in the import process is to assign a user to your content. This user will be shown as the author of each piece of content. As you see, you can use an existing user or create a new one right there:

Step 13

If you see the smiley face, then you’ve successfully imported the content from your Blogger site. Yay!

Results

As you can see, our Blogger content now shows up on our WordPress site (yay, again!):

Even comments were carried over:

Cleaning-Up

To make sure that all your content made it over in one piece, there are a few steps you should take:

Step 1

During this example run-through, note that some of the imported content was dated to go live in the future instead of being live now.

If some of your content is not showing up on your WordPress site, you need to fix that.

Start by clicking on the “Posts” menu item on the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard. You’ll be taken to a list of your posts:

Click on each of your posts and then look at the top right of the post editing screen. If the “Scheduled for” date is in the future, click the, “Edit” link to change it:

Change the date and/or time as shown below and click the, “OK” button.

Repeat this process for any missing posts, pages, comments and links.

Step 2: Formatting Issues

Look through your content for any formatting issues and correct them.

Step 3: Widgets

If you want to import the widgets from your Blogger site, you’ll have to do so manually. Do so by creating new widgets on your WordPress site and then copying and pasting the content from your Blogger widgets into each.

Keeping Your Google Search Rank

Finally, let’s address your Google search ranking. If you’ve worked hard to have your Blogger posts ranked highly (i.e. near the top in search results), you don’t want all that work to go to waste when you move to WordPress.

The easiest way for non-techies to accomplish this is to use one of two plugins created just for this situation. Both offer detailed instructions which you should follow closely as changes need to made on your old Blogger site as well as on your new WordPress one.

Blogger 301 Redirect

The Blogger 301 Redirect pluginis the one recommended by the folks who created the Blogger Importer Extended plugin that you just used to import your content. For that reason alone, you may want to use this one to hold your search rankings intact.

Blogger to WordPress

If the previous plugin doesn’t work for you, or if the developer stops updating it, you can use the Blogger to WordPress plugin as a backup.

Wrapping Up

Now that we’ve shown you how to move from Blogger to WordPress, you’re ready to go. There’re a lot of stages, but if you take the process one step at a time, you’ll find the site migration straightforward and doable.

Image: WordPress.org
for proper infograph, pictures.. visit
www.themafrica..com

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Michaeluzomam(m): 9:14pm On Apr 27, 2016
nice 1 man
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Segadem(m): 6:19am On Apr 29, 2016
[size=14pt] Nice one, but what I want to read now is how to move from thousandnian to millionaire grin[/size]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by bunmioguns(m): 6:20am On Apr 29, 2016
Great info
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by joezy23(m): 6:23am On Apr 29, 2016
tankz alot
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Chalatanace(m): 6:30am On Apr 29, 2016
grin
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by annexworld(m): 6:31am On Apr 29, 2016
Nice one bro
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by lordsharks(m): 6:42am On Apr 29, 2016
Nice info OP
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by yomalex(m): 6:48am On Apr 29, 2016
Good tips
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by just2endowed: 6:54am On Apr 29, 2016
Following
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by nwaobitex: 6:59am On Apr 29, 2016
shuo
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Generalmac(m): 7:05am On Apr 29, 2016
informative..
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by shamecurls(m): 7:31am On Apr 29, 2016
From Ikeja, take a bus going to internet, drop at Blogger bus stop and take a bike to word press junction. Ask for the address you are going to from there.

2 Likes

Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by ITbomb(m): 7:58am On Apr 29, 2016
I have no plans to go to WP in the nearest future.

I got top Google rank that my friends in WP are still dreaming of.
Just know how to arrange your meta tags, search description, pings, search console quality content, seo and you will love blogger. No downtime, no bandwidth limit

2 Likes

Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Awwal1st(m): 8:04am On Apr 29, 2016
OP, You never move to WordPress ooo grin

1 Like

Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Nyaknor(m): 8:06am On Apr 29, 2016
Thanks For the info...
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by jaelz(m): 8:12am On Apr 29, 2016
Very helpful atleast our youths should shift from yahoo yahoo to blogging
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 29, 2016
haconjy:

Back in the day, Blogger was one of the top blogging and website platforms.

While it’s still a well regarded option today, many small businesses need a platform that’s more robust and flexible. That’d be a platform like WordPress.

Sure, moving from Blogger to WordPress will provide many benefits, but there are few tasks more dreaded than moving a website. Getting you past that dread and helping you move your site is the purpose of the rest of this article.

That’s right. If you’re wondering how to move from Blogger to WordPress, the steps below should help you work through the process from beginning to end.

Here’s What We’re Going to Do

During the course of this example, you’ll see how to import the content (posts, pages, links, images and comments) from this Blogger site to the WordPress site shown below it:

Step 1

The first thing you need to do is get your new self-hostedWordPress site up and running (these steps will not work with a site hosted on ).

Once that’s done, read through the next section until you get to step 2.

Why YouShouldn’t Use the WordPress Built-In Blogger Importer

One of the cool things about WordPress is the many importing tools that are included. As you can see, a tool for importing a Blogger website is included:

Clicking on the “Blogger” link will open a screen from which you can install a Blogger importer plugin. Once the plugin is installed and activated, you’ll see this screen:

Everything seems to be going smoothly however, once you hit the, “Authorize” button shown in the image above, you’ll see this error screen:

This happens because, at the time this is being written, the importer plugin has not been updated in a long time and thus it’s no longer compatible with the way Google works.

The solution? Use a plugin thatdoes work with the new Google setup.

Here’s What You Should Do Instead

Step 2

Click on the “Plugins” menu item on the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard. Once you see the screen below, click on the, “Add New” button at the top.

Step 3

On the next screen, enter “Blogger Importer Extended” in the the search box on the top right and hit “return”.

Step 4

The Blogger Importer Extended plugin should be the first one shown in the left column. Click on the, “Install Now” button to add it to your WordPress install.

Step 5

When you see the screen below, click the “Activate Plugin” link on the bottom left:

Step 6

Next, go back to the Plugins list by clicking on the “Plugins” menu item on the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard. Find the Blogger Importer Extended plugin that you just installed and click the, “Start!” link beneath the name:

Step 7

When you see this screen, click the, “OK, let’s go!” button:

Step 8

Now you’ll be taken to the Google authorize screen where you can let Blogger now that it’s OK for this WordPress site to access your Blogger site. This is the step where the previous plugin failed.

You may well wonder what Google has to do with all this. Google owns Blogger so when you sign into your Blogger site, you’re also signing into your Google account.

If you’re not logged into Google at this stage, do so. Once you’re in, click the, “Accept” button:

Step 9

The next step is to select which Blogger site you want to import. In the example below, we only had one site. However, if you have more than one, they will all be shown. Click on the correct site to select it:

Step 10

There are a couple of options available when you import your Blogger website. We recommend that you keep both selected as shown below:

The “Preserve slugs” option is especially key as it will assure that the link to each post will retain the name it had when it was on the Blogger site. A post’s slug is found at the top of the post editing screen. The highlighted text shown in the image below is an example:

Step 11

As you can see below, your Blogger content will now be imported into your WordPress site. The blue bar shows a completed task, the gray bars are tasks still to be done.

Note that tasks with, “0/0” displayed in their bar will never turn blue.

Step 12

The last step in the import process is to assign a user to your content. This user will be shown as the author of each piece of content. As you see, you can use an existing user or create a new one right there:

Step 13

If you see the smiley face, then you’ve successfully imported the content from your Blogger site. Yay!

Results

As you can see, our Blogger content now shows up on our WordPress site (yay, again!):

Even comments were carried over:

Cleaning-Up

To make sure that all your content made it over in one piece, there are a few steps you should take:

Step 1

During this example run-through, note that some of the imported content was dated to go live in the future instead of being live now.

If some of your content is not showing up on your WordPress site, you need to fix that.

Start by clicking on the “Posts” menu item on the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard. You’ll be taken to a list of your posts:

Click on each of your posts and then look at the top right of the post editing screen. If the “Scheduled for” date is in the future, click the, “Edit” link to change it:

Change the date and/or time as shown below and click the, “OK” button.

Repeat this process for any missing posts, pages, comments and links.

Step 2: Formatting Issues

Look through your content for any formatting issues and correct them.

Step 3: Widgets

If you want to import the widgets from your Blogger site, you’ll have to do so manually. Do so by creating new widgets on your WordPress site and then copying and pasting the content from your Blogger widgets into each.

Keeping Your Google Search Rank

Finally, let’s address your Google search ranking. If you’ve worked hard to have your Blogger posts ranked highly (i.e. near the top in search results), you don’t want all that work to go to waste when you move to WordPress.

The easiest way for non-techies to accomplish this is to use one of two plugins created just for this situation. Both offer detailed instructions which you should follow closely as changes need to made on your old Blogger site as well as on your new WordPress one.

Blogger 301 Redirect

The Blogger 301 Redirect pluginis the one recommended by the folks who created the Blogger Importer Extended plugin that you just used to import your content. For that reason alone, you may want to use this one to hold your search rankings intact.

Blogger to WordPress

If the previous plugin doesn’t work for you, or if the developer stops updating it, you can use the Blogger to WordPress plugin as a backup.

Wrapping Up

Now that we’ve shown you how to move from Blogger to WordPress, you’re ready to go. There’re a lot of stages, but if you take the process one step at a time, you’ll find the site migration straightforward and doable.

Image: WordPress.org
for proper infograph, pictures.. visit
www.themafrica..com
please,, how can ah upload VIDEOS on mah WordPress blog?

1 Like

Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by DExplorer1: 8:42am On Apr 29, 2016
Why move to WordPress if your Blogger platform is doing great on Google search. The flexibility of WordPress powered by the numerous widget can only make a site hip, what matters is if the billions of internet users can see you. Blogger is the key!
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by ichommy(m): 9:03am On Apr 29, 2016
Well Analyse
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by chinawapzy(m): 9:16am On Apr 29, 2016
hope u guys are paying attention
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by chinawapzy(m): 9:19am On Apr 29, 2016
jaelz:
Very helpful atleast our youths should shift from yahoo yahoo to blogging

Lol, from yahoo yahoo to agricultural business. blogging is not for all. but for those that blogging choose.
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Emeka71(m): 9:31am On Apr 29, 2016
Nice tutorial.
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by leo1234(m): 10:53am On Apr 29, 2016
How can I move my site from WordPress to self hosted? Already have a domain name.
Thanks.
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by ifyan(m): 11:05am On Apr 29, 2016
ITbomb:

Just know how to arrange your meta tags, search description, pings, search console quality content, seo and you will love blogger. No downtime, no bandwidth limit

Can you help access my blog=http://www.nairausd.com/?m=1

And tell me what to do because I feel there is something missing. Despite my efforts is not yielding up to expectations.

Help me bro
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by Kennycyphers(m): 11:06am On Apr 29, 2016
I LOVE WORDPRESS, ITS SO COOL AND EASY TO UNDERSTAND.
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by teegrams(m): 11:59am On Apr 29, 2016
@op i am having a problem moving a site to a self hosted site any help ?plus anyone in the house can help too
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by haryomikun(m): 12:08pm On Apr 29, 2016
ITbomb:

Dey dere. WP ranks better in seo IMO
Its because ur friends don't know anything about seo. If only one of them knows seo and is on WP you'll be marvelled.
WP is a very great platform! It even tells you when your seo is good, OK or bad.
It has so many plug ins sweet plug ins

You can design it to look like a cucumber sef
Blogger is like a prison. I used blogger for two months and I wanted to cry grin

i can never return to blogger unless Sango uses my hand to press laptop grin Moving to WordPress is one of the best decisions I have made in blogging bro.

Well, one mans poison is another's meat

http://www.themchub.com
Re: How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress by blissblazeblog: 12:10pm On Apr 29, 2016
Hey guys, you just can't afford to miss joining the latest WhatsApp group in town were we have fun, make new friends, share stuffs with one another. To join us simply contact the admin on WhatsApp = +2349051144825 #See ya #Am Out

(1) (2) (Reply)

Google Inc - Full History Of The American Multinational Corporation / Pls I Need A Chat And Forum Website Anyone Here Can Help / Steps To Starting Your Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.