Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,683 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Nigeria And EU To Start Migrant Return Talks - Financial Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And EU To Start Migrant Return Talks - Financial Times (529 Views)

Osinbajo Delivering A Speech At The Financial Times Africa Summit / Buhari Has Practically Done Nothing To Grow Nigeria’s Economy - Financial Times / Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And EU To Start Migrant Return Talks - Financial Times by feedthenation(m): 2:51pm On Apr 28, 2016
The EU and Nigeria will discuss a deal to send economic migrants back to Africa’s most populous country as Europe seeks to replicate a recent pact with Turkey that is dramatically curbing migration flows from the Middle East.

A “readmission agreement” would probably involve migrants from Nigeria being deported in exchange for EU economic aid for Abuja. It would be the bloc’s first major return deal with a sub-Saharan African nation — its only existing one is with tiny island nation Cape Verde.

The EU and Nigeria agreed to “take the necessary steps to launch negotiations” for a deal after meetings in Brussels last month, and diplomats there have since been working to secure a mandate from member states to start the negotiations, an EU diplomat said.

The move comes after the EU signed a deal with Turkey earlier this year, in which Ankara agreed to accept the return of migrants landing in Greece — including Syrian refugees — in exchange for benefits, including aid and visa-free travel for Turkish citizens.

Striking a deal with Nigeria has become a focus for EU diplomats after a jump in arrivals of people from the country to Europe since 2014. While the number of Nigerians pales in comparison to arrivals from Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, the EU considers the flow of Africans as a long-term structural problem.

Italy is lobbying especially hard for the EU to come to an agreement. The vast majority of migrants reaching the country come from Africa. Figures from the Italian interior ministry show the number of Nigerians arriving has increased 37 per cent this year compared with the same period in 2015.

Nigerians arrive almost exclusively across the central Mediterranean from war-torn Libya. Many African migrants destroy their identification documents during their journey, meaning a returns deal could be difficult to enforce if European authorities cannot identify where people should be deported to.

Nigeria’s population of more than 180m is expected to jump to 300m by 2030. Economic growth is not keeping pace, however. The government in the oil-rich state failed to capitalise on high crude prices and poverty levels remain high. The oil price crash has caused a severe slowdown and growth is forecast to be less than 3 per cent this year.

For many Nigerians the money they can potentially earn in Europe outweighs the risks of the journey. Virtually none of the migrants are believed to be refugees from the Boko Haram conflict that has devastated the northeastern region recently, according to the EU.

Given the population growth trend not just in Nigeria but across west Africa, “these pressures for migration are going to be huge”, the EU diplomat said.

Nigeria’s foreign ministry did not respond to a request for comment over a potential deal with the EU, but Abuja may look to the terms secured by Turkey. The EU has agreed to give Ankara €6bn in exchange for accepting migrants who land on Greek islands. The flow of migrants into Greece has slowed to a trickle since the deal was signed five weeks ago but rights groups say the agreement breaks EU and UN laws related to the processing of asylum seeker claims — a charge the EU denies.

Additional reporting by James Politi in Rome and Duncan Robinson in Brussels

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c082e124-0c77-11e6-b0f1-61f222853ff3.html#axzz4783QUata
Re: Nigeria And EU To Start Migrant Return Talks - Financial Times by SamuelAnyawu(m): 2:55pm On Apr 28, 2016
Can the USA accept me as a migrant/refugee?
Aswear Naija Don tire me
Re: Nigeria And EU To Start Migrant Return Talks - Financial Times by dunkem21(m): 2:59pm On Apr 28, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Can the USA accept me as a migrant/refugee?

Aswear Naija Don tire me

You got me LOLing hard that I mistakenly poured fanta inside soup angry
Re: Nigeria And EU To Start Migrant Return Talks - Financial Times by Mikehell(m): 3:02pm On Apr 28, 2016
We wey dey naija sef,our resources and infrastructure never go round una wan cum burden us with refugees again undecided
E.U angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria And EU To Start Migrant Return Talks - Financial Times by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:04pm On Apr 28, 2016
dunkem21:

You got me LOLing hard that I mistakenly poured fanta inside soup angry

Aswear Nwannem I'm tired of this Obodo Nigeria
Re: Nigeria And EU To Start Migrant Return Talks - Financial Times by dunkem21(m): 3:08pm On Apr 28, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

Aswear Nwannem I'm tired of this Obodo Nigeria

Ike gwuru m nwanne ..

The one wey dey pain me pass be say you don spoil my soup for this hard time angry angry

(1) (Reply)

Yobe Hospital Rejects PDP Lawmaker’s Donations / Reasons You Should Not Take Any Politician Serious ... / Kidnapped Senator, Iyabo Anisulowo Regains Freedom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.