Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo (62006 Views)

Aftermath Of Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Tanker Explosion (Graphic Photos) / More Pictures Of The New Lagos Buses / 4 Interesting Facts About Nigeria You Probably Didn’t Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Nobody: 9:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
Rayhutar:
poverty is a disease
I can buy yah fada
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:56pm On Apr 29, 2016
sicobamty2:
but he vacate the same year, cus he emerged VC through false means.

Though Eni njoku never an igbo man, he was an ogbo man as u claimed
Lol , that ogbo was a mistake. Njoku is from IMO state. The first vc of Ibadan is Igbo too. Keep shouting fraud, but the truth is that Igbos had been at the front burner and held sway in those days.
In essence, I was only trying to tell you that as at the timethese pix were taken, Igbos had been part of Lagos.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Rayhutar(m): 9:56pm On Apr 29, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

White people developed the Lagos of old, not Awolowo.
After independence, Lagos changed from colony to capital. It was never under western region politics . in essence, Lagos was developed by whites and fed govt, with contributions from cosmopolitan Nigeria.
NO mind them, they dont even know the history of lagos, Lagos was never part of old western Nigeria, even in Nigerian constitution Lagos is not part of SW. Before the colonial masters, Lagos was under colonization by Benin empire, Oba of Benin gave lagos the name Eko, when the white conquered Benin empire they changed the name from Eko to Lagos, Yorubas was never in control of lagos. That is why lagos is referred to as no mans land by Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by AreaFada2: 9:56pm On Apr 29, 2016
codemaniacs:

there was no federal income then.... regions contributed to the center Lagos was already developed before it was made the capital of Nigeria. groundnut didn't do anything for the north, the east was quite developed but their resources didn't boost it....

All the regions were relying on the SW cocoa, palm oil e.t.c. the east just had to be patient because oil boom was about to happen.... but they messed things up for themselves and the whole south.

What? No federal income? No duties, taxes, etc? I give up.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by codemaniacs: 10:02pm On Apr 29, 2016
AreaFada2:

What? No federal income? No duties, taxes, etc? I give up.

Each region retained most of its income instead of contributing to a central govt because there was no central govt...

Do u know how rich the SS would have been if the SE leaders had been patient.

1 Like

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Rayhutar(m): 10:18pm On Apr 29, 2016
codemaniacs:

Each region retained most of its income instead of contributing to a central govt because there was no central govt...

Go and read the history of Nigeria young man, Yorubas of then western Nigeria stage the first unsuccessful coup in Nigeria, Central government have 70% power then, prime minister have excessive power which result to power squabble between the North, West and the East at the Center, leading to Aburi peace accord in Ghana, go back and read your history book about Nigeria.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Rayhutar(m): 10:23pm On Apr 29, 2016
sicobamty2:
I can buy yah fada
go find food chop first
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by selfdefence: 10:26pm On Apr 29, 2016
Nwokoji1:
Wait I don't understand, OP do you mean you took all these Pictures with your Boom J8? I thought it was an Old Picture??

All these NL children self. Read properly una no go hear. Na to rush comment be una own..

Okay go back to the post and read it again to understand how the boom j8 entered the story.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by selfdefence: 10:28pm On Apr 29, 2016
3rdlegxxx:
1st off what part does Boom Tecno J8 play in all this..... and those pics really had lagos looking neat and all

Haba bros even you?? Harken to the comment I sent to the guy above.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by chigoizie7(m): 10:40pm On Apr 29, 2016
What went wrong?

The only picture that caught my attention was where cyclist were busy maintaining their lanes, even when it is obvious there is a "go slow" there and the main road was free, but no one dared enter the main road, they were all maintaining their go slow pace.

If I hear say such thing fit happen for lagos of today

1 Like

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Emmau0091(m): 10:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
My God! The roads and the way ppl drive does days... Life must be beta then.

This days.. how many of us want to ride bike to work on bad roads.. I say again.., White left so soon..

1 Like

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by tr3y(m): 10:54pm On Apr 29, 2016
chigoizie7:
What went wrong?

The only picture that caught my attention was where cyclist were busy maintaining their lanes, even when it is obvious there is a "go slow" there and the main road was free, but no one dared enter the main road, they were all maintaining their go slow pace.

If I hear say such thing fit happen for lagos of today

These days where Danfo will enter pedestrian lane not to talk of bicycle.

I wonder what kind of structure/law was in place back then that made people conform like that.

2 Likes

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by chigoizie7(m): 10:57pm On Apr 29, 2016
tr3y:

These days where Danfo will enter pedestrian lane not to talk of bicycle.

I wonder what kind of structure/law was in place back then that made people conform like that.

I am telling u, can't we just go back to that era?
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by pretty16(f): 11:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
derrick333:
white men left too early lipsrsealed

I tell you. Sometimes I still Wish the colonial masters Never Left. Naija for make sense Walai. See south Africa. Nigeria has gotten so bad that a lot of Nigerians are relocating to S.A. For greener pastures..

1 Like

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Wizzyblack3(m): 11:19pm On Apr 29, 2016
jmichlins:
At times i do wonder if we are ripe for independence. See how organized the place is and neat as well
Definately we are not. Nigeria is like a baby who hasn't start crawling but tell his mother to put him down, that he wants to walk.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by derrick333(m): 11:30pm On Apr 29, 2016
pretty16:

I tell you. Sometimes I still Wish the colonial masters Never Left. Naija for make sense Walai. See south Africa. Nigeria has gotten so bad that a lot of Nigerians are relocating to S.A. For greener pastures..
SA Is a pure Yankee standard
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by derrick333(m): 11:30pm On Apr 29, 2016
pretty16:

SA is pure Yankee standard
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by ralphaeel: 11:54pm On Apr 29, 2016
Hmm.......Federal Palace Hotel.......ma dad used 2 b a chef there,kul place 2 relax then!!
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Okwyjesus(m): 12:01am On Apr 30, 2016
jmichlins:
At times i do wonder if we are ripe for independence. See how organized the place is and neat as well

Our quest for independent was a mistake. 1980 could have been better.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by piagetskinner(m): 12:27am On Apr 30, 2016
saxby:
Old Advert
TBS, Race Course
Federal Palace Hotel
Igbosere
The second picture is quite recent... See the cars and brt buses there
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 30, 2016
Looking at this pictures so much saddens my heart. You mean Nigeria had it this good in the past. Really where did we get it wrong?

2 Likes

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by piagetskinner(m): 12:34am On Apr 30, 2016
Hmmm...where their was order...now everything is ruined...the companies that were established then have now gone into comatose

E got our independence rather too early

1 Like

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by tpiah11: 12:39am On Apr 30, 2016
nasha1:

I am a mad woman, I am a 40 years old virgin with no kids,family,husband, I am left 2 die alone in america in a lunatic clinic.i blame those nurse 4 giving me access to the internet. I am a miserable witch

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by AreaFada2: 1:19am On Apr 30, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

White people developed the Lagos of old, not Awolowo.
After independence, Lagos changed from colony to capital. It was never under western region politics . in essence, Lagos was developed by whites and fed govt, with contributions from cosmopolitan Nigeria.

Read carefully: I wrote SW generally.
But there is no denying that people educated in former Western region under Awo education programme made immense contribution to Lagos development: academics, industrialists, journalists, politicians, etc.

Even the whites you are talking of, local taxes funded those developments. Returnee former slaves like the Brazilians also much influenced business, architecture, social scene, intellectual strides, political progress etc.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by Funjosh(m): 1:28am On Apr 30, 2016
This is beautiful smiley
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:34am On Apr 30, 2016
AreaFada2:

Read carefully: I wrote SW generally.
But there is no denying that people educated in former Western region under Awo education programme made immense contribution to Lagos development: academics, industrialists, journalists, politicians, etc.

Even the whites you are talking of, local taxes funded those developments. Returnee former slaves like the Brazilians also much influenced business, architecture, social scene, intellectual strides, political progress etc.
Are Brazilians Yoruba people? What are you saying ?
Lagos went from colony to capital ,and all the while and now, is being developed by Nigerians from everywhere by virtue of it's former status.
Awo didn't do anything in Lagos , and you wonder why the rest of SW doesn't come close. It's actually Lagos that helps the other SW like nearby Ogun .
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by kayalla(f): 1:43am On Apr 30, 2016
if only we can go back to these days.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by PeterKbaba: 1:50am On Apr 30, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Lagos went from colony to capital ,and all the while and now, is being developed by Nigerians from everywhere by virtue of it's former status.
Awo didn't do anything in Lagos , and you wonder why the rest of SW doesn't come close. It's actually Lagos that helps the other SW like nearby Ogun .

You sound like a baby.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by AreaFada2: 2:17am On Apr 30, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

I guess your problem is with tribe.

You pay your taxes where you live and earn a living. Someone can go & live in Kafanchan if he doesn't want to live in or develop Lagos.

Brazilians were returnee slaves, yes many were of Yoruba origin. But they remained in Lagos because of what it offered them: a cosmopolitan environment & opportunities next to the Europeans then. It still offers opportunities now, long after federal capital moved to Abuja.
Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by AreaFada2: 2:38am On Apr 30, 2016
codemaniacs:

Maybe you need to first understand the Distributable Pool Account (DPA) worked out at the London Constitutional Conference of 1957 & the Raisman-Tress Commision. The sources of Federal Revenue, etc.

You also need to first properly understand why the 1962 census cancelled by Balewa govt angered AG/Awo & Eastern Region, when the 1963 census (re-instating inflated Northern population) was adopted by NPC. And the constitutional crisis that ensued.

If the Fed didn't have massive revenues/developmental projects to distribute based on population figures (aside parliamentary seats), why then so much ado about it, if revenues really mostly stayed in the regions? It is all a myth.

Midwest Region with a healthy revenue from Rubber, Cocoa & Timber had to grudgingly/diplomatically accept 1963 population figures, despite strongly protesting it initially. Why? Officially to maintain peace/national unity. Actually reason was serious threat from Fed govt to punish just over a year old new Region by withdrawing funds, projects; essentially cause crisis there.

Centralisation stealthily began long ago & fed has been powerful economically/financially "it has tey". It was only formalised by Ironsi.

1 Like

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by AreaFada2: 3:06am On Apr 30, 2016
piagetskinner:
Hmmm...where their was order...now everything is ruined...the companies that were established then have now gone into comatose

E got our independence rather too early

Our grandparents and parents often say so but how true is it?

We needed to be independent or remain an eternal colony. Period. If independence had come in 1980, 1990 or 2016 (with militants, Boko Haram, Fulani Herdsmen crisis), we still would not be better prepared to rule ourselves.

It is about the structure & nature of Nigeria.

The indirect colonial rule promoted formation of regional/ethnic parties leading up to independence.
Political scientists largely agree on this.

For example, NPC did not even campaign in the South. Inflated 1952/53 census figures could be easily used to manipulate election results for Northern rule.

NCNC wasn't even incorporated in the North until about 1963 or 64.

The North did everything to prevent AG campaigning up North. shocked shocked

Now, does this look like a united country ready to go forward together? Certainly not!

The signs were ominous and right there.

Nigeria should have been split into two countries, North & South at Independence. Like India & Pakistan.

The South would have since split too.

The current unproductive/futile North-South power struggle is set to continue. Unfortunately.

1 Like

Re: Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo by JustOutstanding: 3:16am On Apr 30, 2016
Cant we just go back to how we were before independence when everything was organized and not as complicated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Come To The UK Right Now / Lagos Auctions 134 Vehicles As Traffic Offenders Cry & Beg Bidders (Pictures) / Cost Of Flight Tickets From Nigeria To USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.