Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,925 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:37 AM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43187 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:35am On Aug 10, 2009
I tell folks that titheing remains one of the very genuine injuctions of the bible, its never me to stress on some issues when i know that humans are always dual-parallel in discretions.

But no doubt when i see an avenue for peeps to be blessed what use will it be to be selfish ehn?

You can either believe in titheing when you read a true life experience of a tither:

STORY:

been born-again way back 2001 and ever since i have made a path to pay tithes, believe me friends life has never been this sweeter, my choice for following this path was based on some personal conviction i got while reading thru' the scriptures, beleive me no pastor or whomsoever ever stressed on me its in my nature to consider things b4 doin them.

all thru' this past 8yrs, i truly see myself increasing steadily in my income, at just a tender age within my twenties, i know how things soared for me such that even the aged marvel and i often get so amazed, am in my mid-twenties now and can boost of owning 2 landed properties, a fast car and a great job and believe me i dont sweat to get them.i boost in God my source.

Sometime march this yr, i came across some post made by some fellow nairalanders on this issue of titheing, and guess what i oblidged and i swear ever since then, things havent got so bad in my life like it did for just this barely 5mths, i became so broke and frustrated so much that i even had to beg for lil change to eat daily, all the pay i get monthly only God knows where it tolls, and guess what i never got to recall my fault until last wk, after all said and done, i asked for forgiveness and things are beginning to pick up considerably

with this i want to state that most infos we get here are actually made to mar us and not make us, i am a true evidence to this.

before we read and get things absorbed pls try and compare them with the true word of GOD,"the bible",i dont ever believe titheing was aborted in the scriptures, just because a thing is been abused doesnt make it bad afterall

from my experience on titheing issues here, alot of folks base there not titheing simpy because of how our MOGs use this money for selfish reasons, but why should what another man does affect what God says you and I should do for our personal blessings i ask?

i know every folk has right to express what they feel abt certain issues in the bible here on this forum, but for the true xtians you might be amazed that while you're trying to defend you seemingly right character you might ignorantly be blinding many sheep from God's covenant and kingdom

i have come to truely believe irrespective of what any folk think that titheing is a SPIRITUAL THING and will never i repeat never be understood by a CARNAL MIND (Icor.1:25-29, 2:11-15)

though i might sound foolish but i rather be foolish in the things of God than wise in the things of the world

God bless ya'll

This is what i have come up with

Tithe - The Definition:

(Tithe) (Hebrew “ma±¦´¢r”):

Is defined as the custom of giving a 10th part of the products of the land and of the spoils of war to priests and kings (1 Macc 10:31; 11:35; 1 Sam 8:15,17)The custom is a very ancient one among most nations. That the Jews had this custom long before the institution of the Mosaic Law is shown by Gen 14:17-20 (cf. Heb 7:4) and Gen 28:22.
A better rendering for the original word " ma±¦´¢r " means a standard of parting one's possession into 10 places and giving a 10th to a superior being mostly revered as a demi-god or priest to a god/goddess . It is a well- known fact that this custom dated before the advent of Abraham. Babylon was a nation/ people who performed this ritual before Abraham’s account and they called it

The “Ma`aser”- In the time of Abraham
According to the Genesis account, Abram, returning from a battle by the Dead Sea, was hailed by Melchizedek, king of Salem (Jerusalem) who was also the priest of El Elyon ("the Most High God"wink (Genesis 14:18):
18. And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
19. And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
20. And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
(Genesis 14:18-20, Holy Bible, King James Version)

When Melchizedek appeared and offered Abram bread and wine and blessed him in the name of God, tithes were exchanged. Later, in (Genesis 28:22), Abraham's grandson Jacob also made a commitment to give God back a tenth of his increase. Now a careful look at this will reveal that this act meant more of a lineage tradition to a personal practise. The case is that a good scholar will tell that not all acts of individuals were recorded ink for ink in the biblos (Bible) refer to
>>>John 21:25 -  And there are also many other things which Jesus did. If they should be all recorded one by one [in detail], I suppose that even the world itself could not contain (have room for) the books that would be written. AMP.
Now if this is true, then a logical structure will show that if  (Abraham)the Father tithed then (Isaac) the son must have tithed for the Grandson (Jacob) to have promised tithe.

“Bikkurim, Terumah, Ma'aser Rishon and Terumat Ma'aser” -In the time of Moses and Under Mosaic Law

The tithe is specifically mentioned in the Book of Leviticus, the Book of Numbers and also in the Book of Deuteronomy. The tithing system was organized in a 7 year cycle, corresponding to the Shemittah cycle (You can google this for explanation).

Bikkurim Tithe: is the custom of giving THE FIRST FRUIT as a practice commanded by God (Ex.23:19, Num.15:20, Deut.26:2) " The noun appears 16 times. The "first grain and fruit" harvested was to be offered to God Num 28:26 in recognition of God's ownership of the land and His sovereignty over nature. Bread of the "first fruits" was bread made of the first harvest grain, presented to God at Pentecost Lev 23:20. The "day of the first fruits" was Pentecost Num 28:26. Some scholars even argue that the offerings given by Abel was a tithe of his livestock (called Bikkurim) if you compare what he offered and what God commanded the Israelites in Num.18.

Ma'aser  Terumah Tithe: is the custom of setting aside a fixed proportion (Deut.12:11-. . ., Num.18:31) that is to be brought to the city of Jerusalem (The place God has chosen as a dwelling for His name), scholars believe Terumah tithe was same as what Apostle Paul commanded the Corinthian Christians in 1Cor.16:2 .Now some Christians argue that because it was not explicitly mentioned as tithe (but proportional collection) in the NT meant it was not tithe, now see it this way, when bible prophesied of a King to come, he was named as Emmanuel in the OT, when he was to be born in the NT he was named as Jesus, now can we say that  Jesus isn’t the same thing as Emmanuel since he was not announced as such?.
Ma'aser Rishon Tithe:This custom is what Moses commanded as the "the year of tithing" Deuteronomy 26:12-14 in which the Israelites set aside 10% of the increase of the land, they were to give this tithe to the Levites, strangers, orphans, and widows. These tithes were in reality more like taxes for the people of Israel and were mandatory, not optional giving. This tithe was distributed locally "within thy gates" Deuteronomy 14:28 to support the Levites and assist the poor.

Terumat Ma'aser: The Levites, also known as the tribe of Levi, were descendants of Levi. They were assistants to the Israelite priests (who were the children of Aaron and, therefore,a subset of the Tribe of Levi) and did not own or inherit a territorial patrimony Numbers 18:21-28. Their function in society was that of temple functionaries, teachers and trusted civil servants who supervised the weights and scales and witnessed agreements. The goods donated from the other Israeli tribes were their source of sustenance. They received from "all Israel" a tithe of food or livestock for support, and in turn would set aside a tenth portion of that tithe for the Aaronic priests in Jerusalem and this was referred to as the Terumat Ma’aser.

A memory lane through time will show that all nations of old practiced this act no little wonder we have the government system of tithing called Tax today. Romans, Greeks, Asian (minors and majors), the 3 American cardinals all practice tithing.

Tithing – The Purpose

The primary reason for tithing I will say is first worship to a god to acknowledge his/her ownership of everything and as such they are given back all/some portion. Some ancient writings say it could also mean an act of appreciation , a solicitation , an enquiry , an appeasement to a deity. Whichever way its been seen, it should be appreciated a fact that this act mean more of an ancestral standard to a law. How do I mean, in the Babylonian scrolls which preceded Abrahamism or Judaism none ever revealed that they were commanded to tithe under any given law, neither was it recorded that the first tithers- Cain and Abel (Bikkurim) ever did so based on compulsion as the supposedly law era gave.
Howbeit the introduction of this ancestral act in the era of Judaism (Moses’ time) was never given as a law per se, but the law only showed how this act was to be administered.

Tithing – The Law debate

Law could be defined as a decree, principle or ruling guiding a thing/people/standard and most times are documented as a biblos for referencing. Whereas an ordinance is a rite/ritual/spiritual trail. Howbeit the usage of both is for orderliness and objectivity; a law can be put in place to show how a ritual is to be performed. If we go on saying that Law has been abolished how then we have “thou shall not murder”and others still relevant, as well as the Law of Grace, the Law of the spirit of Life, why can’t we go on to say they have all been abolished? After all they are all laws. It is in my opinion that the laws of Moses is what we should know as obsolete (which are the laws of ceareal offering, animal sacrifice, priestly consecration by animal blood) and not the laws of God, for the Laws of the latter are all without errors whilst that of the former was a man’s law which even the scriptures said “…was given because of the hardness of their hearts”- Ps.81:12. Tithe has never been a Law but rather an ordinance, for the Law of Moses only provided how this ordinance was to be administered to a particular nation (Israelites).
when you read the Old Testament, you will find out that God specifically gave LAWS and he made them understand it was a LAW, hence it goes clearly stated

- Ex.12:49 - " The LAW of the 1st born"
- Lev.6:14 - " The LAW of the cereal offering"
- Lev. 6:25- " The LAW of the sin offering"
- Lev.7:7 -   " The LAW of the sacrifice of peace offering"
- Lev.7:37-  " The LAW of the burnt offering"

Law of leprosy disease (Lev.14:57), law of fluid discharge (lev.15:32)
and it goes on and on,

never was it mentioned anywhere of the LAW of TITHE/TITHEING as the case may be, rather the very first place you'll come across the word TITHE as regarding the Israelites exodus from Egypt was in Lev.27, reading from verse 1 it goes on like this

-1. And the Lord said,. . . vs. 30: it stated TITHE and on it goes. Even this passage began by telling them how they should give/ administer tithe and not a fresh teaching about tithing. Let me Quote it

Lev 27:30-32
30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord. [1 Cor 9:11; Gal 6:6.] 
31 And if a man wants to redeem any of his tithes, he shall add a fifth to it.   

[color=#990000]Tithing – Money or Agricultural produce?

A biblical origin of Ma’aser began with Cain and Abel who gave the Bikkurim ( a portion of their increase) in livestocks and farm produce. I, personally do not solicit that tithing should be in any fixed mode be it money or any modus operandi, for the biblos never gave specific instruction on that except to the nation of Israel and not the pre- Israeli nations or people/era.
When Abraham tithed (Bikkurim) he gave a tenth of all, what then is this all? I suppose; gold, diamond, silver, garments, crops, livestock and so on. Without any logical reasoning one should know that the moneys used in ancient times were the diamonds, silver and golds he gave as well as the agricultural produce he gave will mean the crops and livestocks. So whether one purposes in the heart to give money based on ma’aser (original tithe) and another chooses to give produce still based on ma’aser terumah, or Rishon or Terumat it makes no difference for all scriptures both OT and NT are given by the inspiration of God and they all are profitable for doctrine (1Timothy 3:16). For any argument on tithe based on only one system to me makes no use, what matters is the heart one gives from and the desire to maintain this ordinance that began before the law.

Tithing – Once in a Lifetime or Daily or Weekly or Monthly or Yearly?

- Following the scriptures, Cain and Abel were recorded to have given once, maybe they gave more, we don’t know unless we judge    following John. 21 : 25
- Abraham was recorded to have given once.
- Jacob was recorded once to have promised giving tithe
- Moses’ time and the Nation of Israel introduced it into the law and did not specify a time for ma’aser safe for the ‘year of tithing- once every third year’. Scholars say they practiced it after every harvest (time of increase)which varied by tribes and calendars
- Jephthah was recorded once to have promised Bikkurim and he fulfilled the promise. (Judg.11…)
- Religious sect in the NT strictly adhered unto the Terumat that it was given just about every week if not every day but wrongly on hypocritical grounds.

Ma’aser is an act of worship and one should give as unto God and not unto any religious order except we choose to follow religion (which to me is still not wrong -2Tim.3:16, James.1:7) . The importance is that tithing should be made on the ground of worship / appeasement / appreciation / solicitation / enquiry. One who choses to give once in a life time is same as the other who choses to give daily, weekly and so on for he who gives should do so as unto the Lord and not to Man (Eph. 6:7).

32 And the entire tithe of the herd or of the flock, whatever passes under the herdsman's staff [by means of which each tenth animal as it passes through a small door is selected and marked], the tenth shall be holy to the Lord (AMP)[/color]

Secondly if we can go through the Hebrew translations, one will discover that the tithe the nation of Israel practiced as at this time had the original tithe put (ma’aser) as a prefix or suffix. Meaning the tithe in Moses’ time followed the order of the original ancient tithe hence I call it an administrative tithing and not the origin of tithing per se.

Tithing – Has it been abolished?

I for one would not want to judge from any logical point of view, because if I were to, then I would ask how come taxation still prevails in almost all parts of the world today because tax in all sincerity of purpose is the same as tithing (ma’aser) However Let us judge this explicitly from the scriptures. What was actually abolished in the scriptures? Was it the law of God (Rom.7:22 – for I(paul) endorse and delight in the law of God) or the Law of Moses (1Cor.10:2 –. . . For all Israel was baptized into moses [Moses’ Law] in the cloud and sea)? You see it was the Law of Moses and correction it was never abolished but Fulfilled by Jesus Christ (Matt.5:17). Jesus did not come to fulfill the Law of God but the Law of Moses, for He (Jesus) was the perfect expression of God himself who made the Law (Jn.8:58 – . . .before Abraham was, I AM)

Most often, many Christians tend to mistake the use of the both one for the other whereas Moses’ law came with the rules as well as the punishments for violators, Romans called it the Law of Death, God’s Law are the commandments “thou shall not steal”, “thou shalt love the lord thy God” and so on ( it never came with a punishment, but ironically a reward if it was kept, no little wonder Paul endorsed it to the church in Romans.7:22 and even taught about it, refer Eph.6 etc).

Tithing – The Priesthood Significance

Through the bible, God’s relationship with man has followed a pattern and this pattern has standards that both parties must maintain for a true relationship
What were this patterns?:
one of such was that there must be a Priest who mediates between God and Man (read.Heb.7:17-20)Mechisedek was the first to assume this office of which Job did the same (Job.1:5), thereafter Abraham (Gen.18:20-33),Abraham’s lineage and then to Jacob’s and later to Moses and the trail followed until Jesus’s time. What made this priestly office unique was the fact that they gave offerings as a means of worship/relationship and they offered sacrifices which were meant to make atonement for sins, they taught the people how to relate with God and Man.
Again, One practice the bible noted that some of these princes/priests did was the act of receiving offerings, take for example Melchisedek received offering, Aaron and the priesthoods received offerings as Moses instituted, both Jesus (Lk.7:37), Paul and Peter received offerings too.

Now Melchisedek in Retrospect:

Jesus was made a priest after the order of melchisedek, Jesus Christ was a priest after Melchisedek and Melchisedek received offering, what then is expected of Jesus Christ?. This order could be compared as unto Aaron (as melchisedek) and the levites (as Christ)-Heb.7:16, Aaron received it under the law; likewise the levites took it from the people and gave it to the High priest whom Aaron fell into.
Today when we give tithe, the clergies after the order of Christ receive it and offer prayers of blessings. refer Gen. 18:19. And he (Melchisedek) blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth. Read Hebrews.6, 7,8

[U]Tithing - what did Jesus and Paul say?[/U]

>>>Matthew. 23:23  -  "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices — mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.NIV

Recall He(Jesus) didn’t say woe unto tithes, but rather woe unto the teachers of the law and Pharisees. Meaning Jesus criticized the Pharisees and never criticized tithe, because the tithe they gave was done hypocritically. Jesus said, practise mercy, practise justice, practise faith and also do not neglect to pracitise tithe (matt.23:23 -Hebrew-English paraphrased bible). Now some Christian sect believe this scriptures was actually Jesus’ seal against the practice of tithe. Looking critically does the scripture look like tithing was abolished? one should ask this question, if Jesus abolished tithing on the ground of the law, therefore mercy should be seem as a law as well as justice and faith and they all should be noted as abolished, afterall he spoke of these things in that scriptures as he did tithe (that is, as laws).
Today Christians argue that Paul who is noted as the most significant apostle did not preach about tithe, now let us see.

>>>1 Cor.16: 2 –Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.KJV

In Hebrew, the term ‘collection’ as used in this passage is same as what Moses taxed the Israelite males above 20years old in the wilderness called the ma’aser terumah (which was the tithing based on contribution for the temple of God which Paul referred to as Jerusalem in his time) and it was given to help the temple building in the wilderness based on how God prospered each individual)–Ex.25:3-9. My candid appeal is for bible students to read the bible with more than a translation/ version so one could have a clearer understanding of terms in the biblos and how they connect the Old and New testaments together. Scholars even discovered that Titus was appointed the office of collecting this contribution even while Paul was in prison (2 Cor.8.). Now would it be wise to say that because KJV, NKJV, NIV and some contemporary anglos-saxons versions of the biblos never explicitly termed the word ‘collection’ as contribution tithe (Ma’aser terumah) meant Paul never practiced tithe same with his followers? I guess not. Maybe this verse will help

>>>Daniel. 9:2 - . . .I Daniel understood by the books[biblos]” which means it took Daniel more than a book[biblo] to understand the sayings of God (prophesy)

Tithe – can it be substituted for freewill offering?

Often atimes I hear people talk of choosing rather to give to the poor than give the church their due benevolence. Let’s see how the scriptures answer this one,

Matt 26:6-13

6 While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper,
7 a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.
8 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked.
9[u] "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor." [/u]
10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me.
11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.

With this passages I will class the so called-righteous Christians into verse 9,for they’ll rather chose to give to the poor and widows their offerings than give to the church, howbeit Jesus’ reply to them in verse 10 will forever remain supreme. Therefore let us give to God what is due God (Matt. 22:21), give to Caesar (beggars, poor, widows) what belong to them. In the Old Testament administrative tithing, Moses’ commanded them to set aside the tithes in the 3rd year and give specifically unto the strangers, widows and orphans. Simple!.
An error it will be to try substituting the one for the other. Let freewill offering be given as freewill offering, and tithe be given as tithe, they have different names thus serve different purposes.

Tithe – An Injunction or Suggestion

Please Read verse 7, but 8 very carefully and prudently, for an unbiased heart will tell itself the truth.

2 Cor 9:7-10
7 Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;

The term ‘injunction’ doesn’t mean the same thing as the term ‘compulsion’. Maybe our dictionary will do us good here.

Tithe – Why should I give when the clergies make a mess of it?

Just because a thing is been abused greatly doesn’t mean it is bad from its origin, let God do the judging, while we do the obeying . won’t it be nicer if we allow the wisest do the judging? (just a question or let’s say a suggestion). For God has His own way of dealing with the false teachers and thieves.

>>>Jer 23:1-2

1 "Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasture!" declares the LORD.
2 Therefore this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says to the shepherds who tend my people: "Because you have scattered my flock and driven them away and have not bestowed care on them, I will bestow punishment on you for the evil you have done," declares the LORD

And Again Jesus taught in Matt 13:29

29 "'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds (false teachers), you may root up the wheat (good teachers) with them.NIV

When we finally understand that a tithe is a spiritual thing and an ordinance that can be discerned by only spiritual people, the sooner we will understand that tithing is a principle God wants us to grasp and be blessed with.

For we are taught to “practice mercy, practice faithfulness, practice justice, and do not neglect to practice tithe” – Matt.23:23 (Hebrew-English paraphrased version)

Tithe will forever remain relevant for the bible has made known.

God bless you!

1 Like

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 10, 2009
Why dont you start offering burnt offferings ,it might also work for you.

I suggest in place of grains and animals ,you can place like N100,000 and offer as an acceptable offering to the Lord.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 10, 2009
Let me begin by saying today many "christians" in quote are not brethren. Jesus did not call us christians, unbelievers did. He called us brethren i.e brothers and sisters because we are co heirs with him. He is the only begotten of the father and we (brethren, now popularly called christians) are adopted children of the father. Hence we are children of God, and Christ is the firstborn.

Now to whether tithing is necessary or not, I would like to do a little exposition on the subject, tithe.

Abraham was the first person to give tithe as recorded in the bible. He was not commanded to do so. He just gave it to the King of Salem, an act of gratitude to God

However at a time God commanded that Isrealites must pay their tithe of everything to the Priest ( the levites) so that there may be food in His house. And until Jesus died the law of tithing was valid.

Now that Jesus had died, and has given us the grace of sonship, should we still pay tithe?

To answer this question, I would like to inform you that there are dispensations in the human cycle. Many believe we have 7 dispensations others claims it's 3 dispensations. However whether 3 or 7 one thing is generally agreed upon; we are in the dispensation of grace preceeding the dispensation of the Kingdom.

In the new testament church tithe was not an issue infact one may want to conclude that they didnt pay tithes. What is emphasised in the dispensation of grace is that we owe our ALL to God. If we pay our tithe it is good and God would accept it. However the scriptures teaches us to give as we have purposed in our hearts. If I may say God expects us to give more than our tithe. And  since we are no longer under the law tithe doesnt make us more righteous if we pay it because our righteousness is not made of the law it is of Christ.

If a believer gives God a 5% ,God would accept it, if it's 10% he would accept it, if it's 100% he would accept it. I know in many churches today just like the financial institutions may pastors have financial targets and thus are saying all they can to get money of their members pockets.

But note that in the new testament all believers ( brethren) are priests and Christ is our high priest. i.e we all have access to the father 1Pet. 2:9

Let us not be quick to attribute God's blessings to money it is an act of belittling God afterall he blesses even the unbelievers who don't pay tithe. Being a christian doesnt necessarily mean you will enjoy financial riches. There are a lot of factors that contribute to that.

I dont like typing long stories, but really there are a lot of things to say. In conclusion, you probably had bad experience because you broke covenant with God ( not necessarily because you didnt pay your tithe), but because you left what you had purposed in your heart to give to him just because somebody says don't give. If you pay your tithe, it's a good practice, and if you dont pay "tithe" you are not condemned as long as you worship God with your substance ( whatever you have purposed in your heart to give)

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by PastorAIO: 12:29pm On Aug 10, 2009
chukwudi44:

I suggest in place of grains and animals ,you can place like N100,000  and offer as an acceptable offering to the Lord.

Are you sure that God will find the smell of burning naira notes as pleasing an odour as the smell of a cows burning carcass?  If you can vouch for that I am ready to empty out my account and set fire to it.  grin

@Tonye-t.  Please can you show us where we can verify that the story of the blessed tither is real.  We have the evidence shown here by many that non-tithers actually make up the 50 richest people on earth.  The evidence was presented and anybody can go and verify.  Please can you do the same for us.  

No.   Name   Net worth(USD)   Age   Citizenship   Residence   Sources of wealth   Ref.
1▲ Bill Gates $40.0 billion ▼ 53 United States United States Microsoft [3]
2▼ Warren Buffett $37.0 billion ▼ 78 United States United States Berkshire Hathaway [3]
3▼ Carlos Slim Helú $35.0 billion ▼ 69 Mexico Mexico Telmex, América Móvil [3]
4▲ Lawrence Ellison $22.5 billion ▼ 64 United States United States Oracle Corporation [3]
5▲ Ingvar Kamprad and family $22.0 billion ▼ 82 Sweden Switzerland IKEA [4]
6▲ Karl Albrecht $21.5 billion ▼ 89 Germany Germany Aldi Süd [4]
7▼ Mukesh Ambani $19.5 billion ▼ 51 India India Reliance Industries [4]
8▼ Lakshmi Mittal $19.3 billion ▼ 58 India United Kingdom Arcelor Mittal [4]
9▲ Theo Albrecht $18.8 billion ▼ 86 Germany Germany ALDI Nord, Trader Joe's [5]
10▲ Amancio Ortega $18.3 billion ▼ 73 Spain Spain Inditex Group [6]
11▲ Jim Walton $17.8 billion ▼ 61 United States United States Wal-Mart [7]
12▲ Alice Walton $17.6 billion ▼ 59 United States United States Wal-Mart [7]
12▲ Christy Walton $17.6 billion ▼ 54 United States United States Wal-Mart [7]
12▲ S. Robson Walton $17.6 billion ▼ 65 United States United States Wal-Mart [7]
15▼ Bernard Arnault $16.5 billion ▼ 60 France France LVMH Moët Hennessy • Louis Vuitton [8]
16▼ Li Ka-shing $16.2 billion ▼ 80 Hong Kong Hong Kong Cheung Kong Holdings, Hutchison Whampoa [9]
17▲ Michael Bloomberg $16.0 billion ▲ 67 United States United States Bloomberg L.P. [6]
18▲ Stefan Persson $14.5 billion ▼ 61 Sweden Sweden Hennes & Mauritz
19▲ Charles Koch $14.0 billion ▼ 73 United States United States Koch Industries [10]
19▲ David H. Koch $14.0 billion ▼ 68 United States United States Koch Industries [10]
21▼ Liliane Bettencourt $13.4 billion ▼ 86 France France L'Oréal [3]
22▼ Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud $13.3 billion ▼ 54 Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia Kingdom Holding Company, Citigroup [11]
23▲ Michael Otto and family $13.2 billion ▼ 65 Germany Germany Otto GmbH
24▲ David Thomson and family $13.0 billion ▼ 51 Canada Canada The Thomson Corporation [12]
25▼ Michael Dell $12.3 billion ▼ 44 United States United States Dell
26▲ Donald Bren $12.0 billion ▼ 76 United States United States Irvine Company
26▲ Sergey Brin $12.0 billion ▼ 35 United States United States Google [3]
26▲ Larry Page $12.0 billion ▼ 36 United States United States Google [3]
29▲ Steven Ballmer $11.0 billion ▼ 53 United States United States Microsoft [13]
29▲ Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor and family $11.0 billion ▼ 57 United Kingdom United Kingdom Grosvenor Group [14]
29▲ George Soros $11.0 billion ▲ 78 United States United States Soros Fund Management
32▲ Paul Allen $10.5 billion ▼ 56 United States United States Microsoft [11]
32▼ Raymond Kwok, Thomas Kwok, andWalter Kwok $10.5 billion ▼ 57, 58, and 59 Hong Kong Hong Kong Sun Hung Kai
34▼ Anil Ambani $10.1 billion ▼ 49 India India Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group [4]
35▲ Abigail Johnson $10.0 billion ▼ 47 United States United States Fidelity Investments
35▲ Susanne Klatten $10.0 billion ▼ 46 Germany Germany BMW
35▲ Ronald Perelman $10.0 billion ▲ 66 United States United States Revlon
35▲ Hans Rausing $10.0 billion ▬ 83 Sweden United Kingdom Tetra Laval [14]
39▲ Birgit Rausing and family $9.9 billion ▼ 85 Sweden Switzerland Tetra Laval
40▲ Michele Ferrero and family $9.5 billion ▼ 82 Italy Monaco Ferrero SpA
40▼ Mikhail Prokhorov $9.5 billion ▼ 43 Russia Russia Interros [15]
40▲ Jack C. Taylor and family $9.5 billion ▼ 86 United States United States Enterprise Rent-A-Car
43▲ Mohammed Al Amoudi $9.0 billion ▬ 63 Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia Corral Petroleum Holdings
43▼ Anne Cox Chambers $9.0 billion ▼ 89 United States United States Cox Enterprises
43▲ Carl Icahn $9.0 billion ▼ 73 United States United States American Car and Foundry Company [16]
43▲ George Kaiser $9.0 billion ▼ 66 United States United States BOK Financial Corporation
43▼ Lee Shau Kee $9.0 billion ▼ 81 Hong Kong Hong Kong Henderson Land Development
43▲ Forrest Edward Mars, Jr. $9.0 billion ▼ 77 United States United States Mars, Incorporated [16]
43▲ Jacqueline Mars $9.0 billion ▼ 69 United States United States Mars, Incorporated [16]
43▲ John Mars $9.0 billion ▼ 72 United States United States Mars, Incorporated [16]
51▼ Roman Abramovich $8.5 billion ▼ 42 Russia Russia Millhouse Capital [17]
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 10, 2009
Let me begin by saying today many "christians" in quote are not brethren. Jesus did not call us christians, unbelievers did. He called us brethren i.e brothers and sisters because we are co heirs with him. He is the only begotten of the father and we (brethren, now popularly called christians) are adopted children of the father. Hence we are children of God, and Christ is the firstborn.

Now to whether tithing is necessary or not, I would like to do a little exposition on the subject, tithe.

Abraham was the first person to give tithe as recorded in the bible. He was not commanded to do so. He just gave it to the King of Salem, an act of gratitude to God

However at a time God commanded that Isrealites must pay their tithe of everything to the Priest ( the levites) so that there may be food in His house. And until Jesus died the law of tithing was valid.

Now that Jesus had died, and has given us the grace of sonship, should we still pay tithe?

To answer this question, I would like to inform you that there are dispensations in the human cycle. Many believe we have 7 dispensations others claims it's 3 dispensations. However whether 3 or 7 one thing is generally agreed upon; we are in the dispensation of grace preceeding the dispensation of the Kingdom.

In the new testament church tithe was not an issue infact one may want to conclude that they didnt pay tithes. What is emphasised in the dispensation of grace is that we owe our ALL to God. If we pay our tithe it is good and God would accept it. However the scriptures teaches us to give as we have purposed in our hearts. If I may say God expects us to give more than our tithe. And  since we are no longer under the law tithe doesnt make us more righteous if we pay it because our righteousness is not made of the law it is of Christ.

If a believer gives God a 5% ,God would accept it, if it's 10% he would accept it, if it's 100% he would accept it. I know in many churches today just like the financial institutions may pastors have financial targets and thus are saying all they can to get money of their members pockets.

But note that in the new testament all believers ( brethren) are priests and Christ is our high priest. i.e we all have access to the father 1Pet. 2:9

Let us not be quick to attribute God's blessings to money it is an act of belittling God afterall he blesses even the unbelievers who don't pay tithe. Being a christian doesnt necessarily mean you will enjoy financial riches. There are a lot of factors that contribute to that.

I dont like typing long stories, but really there are a lot of things to say. In conclusion, you probably had bad experience because you broke covenant with God ( not necessarily because you didnt pay your tithe), but because you left what you had purposed in your heart to give to him just because somebody says don't give. If you pay your tithe, it's a good practice, and if you dont pay "tithe" you are not condemned as long as you worship God with your substance ( whatever you have purposed in your heart to give)

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tudor6(f): 12:45pm On Aug 10, 2009
I didnt see anywhere you proved that titheing is "New testamental" - the only thing i see is a baseless fable, this is Nairaland not Nollywood.
tonye-t:

I tell folks that titheing remains one of the very genuine injuctions of the bible, its never me to stress on some issues when i know that humans are always dual-parallel in discretions.

But no doubt when i see an avenue for peeps to be blessed what use will it be to be selfish ehn?

You can either believe in titheing when you read a true life experience of a tither:

[color=#006600]STORY:

been born-again way back 2001 and ever since i have made a path to pay tithes, believe me friends life has never been this sweeter, my choice for following this path was based on some personal conviction i got while reading thru' the scriptures, beleive me no pastor or whomsoever ever stressed on me its in my nature to consider things b4 doin them.

all thru' this past 8yrs, i truly see myself increasing steadily in my income, at just a tender age within my twenties, i know how things soared for me such that even the aged marvel and i often get so amazed, am in my mid-twenties now and can boost of owning 2 landed properties, a fast car and a great job and believe me i dont sweat to get them.i boost in God my source.

Sometime march this yr, i came across some post made by some fellow nairalanders on this issue of titheing, and guess what i oblidged and[b] i swear ever since then, things havent got so bad in my life like it did for just this barely 5mths, i became so broke and frustrated so much that i even had to beg for lil change to eat daily, all the pay i get monthly only God knows where it tolls, and guess what i never got to recall my fault until last wk, after all said and done, i asked for forgiveness and things are beginning to pick up considerably[/b]

with this i want to state that most infos we get here are actually made to mar us and not make us, i am a true evidence to this.

before we read and get things absorbed pls try and compare them with the true word of GOD,"the bible",i dont ever believe titheing was aborted in the scriptures, just because a thing is been abused doesnt make it bad afterall

from my experience on titheing issues here, alot of folks base there not titheing simpy because of how our MOGs use this money for selfish reasons, but why should what another man does affect what God says you and I should do for our personal blessings i ask?

i know every folk has right to express what they feel abt certain issues in the bible here on this forum, but for the true xtians you might be amazed that while you're trying to defend you seemingly right character you might ignorantly be blinding many sheep from God's covenant and kingdom

i have come to truely believe irrespective of what any folk think that titheing is a SPIRITUAL THING and will never i repeat never be understood by a CARNAL MIND (Icor.1:25-29, 2:11-15)

though i might sound foolish but i rather be foolish in the things of God than wise in the things of the world

God bless ya'll[/color]

That is caused by the credit crunch and not because you refused to pay bribestithe to some god !
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 1:41pm On Aug 10, 2009
chukwudi44:

I suggest in place of grains and animals ,you can place like N100,000 and offer as an acceptable offering to the Lord.

Bro,

you make me laff a little with ur humors, now lemme make you get this clear, Mr. Chukwudi dont tell me you aint conversant with the portion of the bible that said something about exchanging your livestocks for moneys if the distance we will offer our gifts and tokens are afar? needless showing you the portion as am yet to know your spiritual stance here

God bless you!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 10, 2009
tonye-t:

Bro,

you make me laff a little with ur humors, now lemme make you get this clear, Mr. Chukwudi dont tell me you aint conversant with the portion of the bible that said something about exchanging your livestocks for moneys if the distance we will offer our gifts and tokens are afar? needless showing you the portion as am yet to know your spiritual stance here

God bless you!

Mr man what am trying to prove to you is that the jewish laws have been fulfilled ,they no longer apply to christians.

If you make a personal commitment with God to contribute 10% of your income to God ,it is encouraged but it should have nothing to do with malachi 3:8.

People have dedicated their virginity to God ,such sacrifices are borne out of their own freewill,it is not a requirement for prosperity or salvation.2 cor 9:7 clearly tell us to give ouit of freewill and not out of pressure.Tithing as preached in most churches today is a negation of christian principles and ideals ,it has led to so much corruption in the system and is begining to threaten the christian faith.

The quotation you quoted earlier on was from deutoronomy 14:22-39
Remember there the tither was expected to eat his tithes with his family,even after converting the livestock to money and getting to the temple he was still required to re-convert the money to food items for himself and his family.

That passage also told us when to pay our tithes ,it made mention of

1 .At the end of every year-for the tither and his family to eat their tithes and share with widows and orphans

2.Every third year- For levites ,widows and orphans
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by PastorAIO: 5:52pm On Aug 10, 2009
tonye-t:

Bro,

God bless you!

Please tonye-t what did the passage then tell us to do with the money once we have arrived at the distant location where we are to make tithe offering?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by mamagee6(f): 6:07pm On Aug 10, 2009
ehm who said so?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 12, 2009
@tonye-t

ol boy na run u don run come answer the questions na
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:17pm On Aug 12, 2009
belabela:

There is nothing one wont see on nairaland, how will someone say that Brethren aint the same as Xtians. Christian gives even a better qualification of the followers of Christ, Christians meant "Christ-Like". well back to the topic again

i'll correct you sir on some of your mistakes here, pardon the word "mistakes"

1. Abraham did not give tithe as an act of gratitude, but as a standard, read on the origin of tithe, and you'll come to understand that heathens paid tithe too (as a tenth portion of their spoils), did any spirit or angel come to tell them to do so?, answer is no, now that it why i said tithe is a spiritual thing that sprools up from a carnal thing, its like looking at a 9mths baby dancing at the sound of a song, who taught them to shake themselves i ask you, its like seeing them directing their hand to their mouths when a substance in on it (hand), for your correction, we give OFFERINGS as a act of gratitude and not TITHE.and again Abraham did not just give, nothing happens by chance but choice. get it!

2. Read more Egyptian ariticles and their view of titheing and you'll come to understand that they gave tithe even when Israel was still captives in their land to their own gods and idols and israel paid too, now when God brought the israelites out, this practise was to continue but this time to their SOVEREIGN GOD, who wanted total worship and nothing less and that included their tithes and even mental image of a god. you recall the golden calf they created?its got an egyptian origin research on this gods (sacred cows) called"isis" and "athor"?

3. Titheing was never a law, but an instruction/injuction/standard, recall that a law goes with a punishment, while the later are based on choice, bible put it this way- "then the lord commanded,. . . ," and not "the lord gave a law. . ., " and that is why titheing doesnt have any eternal consequence but personal.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:29pm On Aug 12, 2009

Alot of times, many xtians use words that they dont really understand very well, do you really understand the word GRACE and its spiritual implication? just because Jesus died and we are living in the grace dispensation doesnt mean the old testament becomes obsolete, why dont you go and steal and even have sex, because Christ has died and given us grace. afterall the law of not stealing and furthers were given before the GRACE DISPENSATION. read topics better my friend!

check this post link maybe it will give you better understanding of the significance of the OLD TESTAMENT IN THE NEW TESTAMENT!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:48pm On Aug 12, 2009
Pastor AIO:

@Tonye-t. Please can you show us where we can verify that the story of the blessed tither is real. We have the evidence shown here by many that non-tithers actually make up the 50 richest people on earth. The evidence was presented and anybody can go and verify. Please can you do the same for us.

No. Name Net worth(USD) Age Citizenship Residence Sources of wealth Ref.
1▲ Bill Gates $40.0 billion ▼ 53 United States United States Microsoft [3]
2▼ Warren Buffett $37.0 billion ▼ 78 United States United States Berkshire Hathaway [3]
3▼ Carlos Slim Helú $35.0 billion ▼ 69 Mexico Mexico Telmex, América Móvil [3]
4▲ Lawrence Ellison $22.5 billion ▼ 64 United States United States Oracle Corporation [3]

Pastor AIO,

1. Titheing is an act of worship based on instructions, do you know that even occultist pay tithes to their deities, yes i said tithe and give offerings too!,

Read with an unbiased mindset the scripture Matt.23: from vs. 1 -23

Matt 23:23
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices — mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
NIV

Recall that this scripture was cited from the new testament, today alot of critics say that christ never gave tithe as a standard, but reading carefully, you'll find it plainly said "you should practise the latter, [size=18pt]without neglecting the former[/size], Pastor AIO now i ask you, aint that word an injuction?just try guess the gesture and mood at which christ made this statement and maybe it'll solve the question.

2. For the list of billionaires you just cut and pasted on ur post goes a long way to show me how some folks mistake LOGICAL KNOWLEDGE with SPIRITUAL KNOWLEDGE. hmmm pathetic i say! very pathetic! well thats a story for another day
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2009
Tudór:

That is caused by the credit crunch and not because you refused to pay bribestithe to some god !

when will nurses learn to just stick to their syringes and needles when DOCTORS perform surgery. hmmmm

well thanks for the most hillarious human right "freedom of speech"
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2009
Matt 23:23
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices — mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Mr tonye -t ,I think the bold part says it all,tithe was part of the jewish law.

When Jesus made that statement,he had not yet died ,so tithe and other jewish rites of the law were still valid.

The only way you can validate tithe in contemporary christianity is to show where in the Bible tithe was practised after the death of Jesus christ.

Do you mean to tell me that Jesus was too weak to punish these rich occultists for not paying their tithes,while he dealth with you for defaulting for only six months  what double standard cry cry
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:04pm On Aug 12, 2009
chukwudi44:

Mr man what am trying to prove to you is that the jewish laws have been fulfilled ,they no longer apply to christians.

Chukwudi my friend, i'll ask you questions based on your post, maybe i'll be able to know ur spiritual maturity

1. What are the jewish laws

2. Who fulfilled it? and How

3. what is the significance of the fulfillment of the Jewish laws?

4. do you understand the difference btw LAWS and COMMANDMENTS?

5. why do we abstain from stealing, lying, fighting, adultery, idolatry, covetousness when they were all given in the old testaments and not the new testaments? u make me laugh! shouldnt we just go ahead and do the opp. since christ has already "PAID THE PRICE"? and afterall we are living in the GRACE ERA like someone stated here lol

6. who are the benefactors of the commonwealth of Israel, and what is God's plan for the Israelites in these times

bro, if you're able to answer just 60% of this, i guarantee you are THERE, believe me! pls try and answer this questions, bible refrences will be appreciated too.

thanks
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 12, 2009
@tonye-t

Answers to your questions

1.Thej ewish laws were the laws given by moses,it also included in the law ancient laws that preceded moses like burnt offering ,circumcision e.t.c

2.Jesus Christ fulfilled it by dying on the cross and paying for our sins by that act

3.The significant of the fulfillment was that we are no longer uder the law but under grace.Under the law any sin you commit you must immediately pay for it ,that explains what happened to the isrealites anytime the sinned against God.The had to suffer because the laws came with a curse ,that curse was what Jesus took away from us and was explained properly in Galatians 3.

4.The laws refer the ancient jewish instructions given to the isrealites by moses,there wrer actually more than 500 of them mentioned among them was that of det 14:22-29
that Malachi was refering to in Mal 3:10.

The commandments on the other hand refer to then 10 coomandments God gave to moses that were inscribed on the tablets that tithe was conspicously missing in that list

5 Because these were re-iterated several times in the NT that we should abstain from them,am too busy now to give you bible passages but I shall assure you that I wiill come back with container load of NT passages were they were re-iterated even after the death of Jesus.

6.You make me laugh ,why on earh do you think Jesus came ?Ephesians 2:15 tells us that he died on the cross and abolished the jewish law ,by destroying the enmity between the jews and the gentiles thereby making the two races one.

Mr tonye -t ,are you sure you actually undertstand the difference b/w christianity and judaism,your puerile questions makes me begin to wonder ?

Why did you think the council of Jerusalem in Acts15 was convoked ?

why did paul write to the Galatians ?

You make want to begin to cry
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by BlackRevo: 6:02pm On Aug 12, 2009
@tonye-t

Some question for you.

1) Who did God specifically instruct to collect the Tithe?

2) What was this tithe made to be used for?

What ever happened during the time of jesus christ were mostly under Judaism.

Example is naming new born babies on the 8th day.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 12, 2009
@poster
So how have you been able to establish by all your rantings and fables that tithing is part of the new testament?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 13, 2009
5. why do we abstain from stealing, lying, fighting, adultery, idolatry, covetousness when they were all given in the old testaments and not the new testaments? u make me laugh! shouldnt we just go ahead and do the opp. since christ has already "PAID THE PRICE"? and afterall we are living in the GRACE ERA like someone stated here lol
[quote][/quote]

I told you I was going to come back with container load of bible passsages from the NT were christians were admonished to desist from the aboved mentioned practices

1 cor 6 :9-10
Sure you know that the wicked will not posses the kingdom of God. Do not fool yourselves ,people who are immoral or who worship idols or are adulterers or homosexual perverts or who steal or are greedy or are drunkards or are thieves ,none of these will posses the kingdom of God.

gal 5 :19-21

What human nature does is quite plain,it shows itself in immoral,filthy and indecent actions ,in worship of idols and withcraft.People become enemies and they fight .They become jealous ,angry ,ambitious ,they seperate into parties and groups,there are envious get drunken,have orgies and do other things liken this .I warn you as I have done before that those who do things like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I can go on and on ,the bible is actually has more passages thta condemn the above practices in the Nt.

It is now obvious you dont read ur bible but only listen to your pastors what a pity
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:22am On Aug 13, 2009
@ Chukwudi44,

Brother, reading thru ur posts here shows me how sensitive and personal you tend to take things, simply because the other doesnt wish to see ur way hasnt called for reasons to mudsling or make u cry, should it?

chukwudi44:

@tonye-t
You make want to begin to cry

chukwudi44:

It is now obvious you dont read ur bible but only listen to your pastors what a pity
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:09am On Aug 13, 2009
Now back to the topic:

chukwudi44:

@tonye-t

Answers to your questions

1.Thej ewish laws were the laws given by moses,it also included in the law ancient laws that preceded moses like burnt offering ,circumcision e.t.c

2.Jesus Christ fulfilled it by dying on the cross and paying for our sins by that act

3.The significant of the fulfillment was that we are no longer uder the law but under grace.Under the law any sin you commit you must immediately pay for it ,that explains what happened to the isrealites anytime the sinned against God.The had to suffer because the laws came with a curse ,that curse was what Jesus took away from us and was explained properly in Galatians 3.

4.The laws refer the ancient jewish instructions given to the isrealites by moses,there wrer actually more than 500 of them mentioned among them was that of det 14:22-29
that Malachi was refering to in Mal 3:10.

The commandments on the other hand refer to then 10 coomandments God gave to moses that were inscribed on the tablets that tithe was conspicously missing in that list

5 Because these were re-iterated several times in the NT that we should abstain from them,am too busy now to give you bible passages but I shall assure you that I wiill come back with container load of NT passages were they were re-iterated even after the death of Jesus.

6.You make me laugh ,why on earh do you think Jesus came ?Ephesians 2:15 tells us that he died on the cross and abolished the jewish law ,by destroying the enmity between the jews and the gentiles thereby making the two races one.

Chukwudi my Brother,

1. First of all, where you tend to be getting it a lil twisted is the failure to actually understand if TITHEING was given as a LAW OR AN ORDINANCE,

when you read the OT, you'll find out that God specifically gave LAWS and he made them understand it was a LAW, hence it goes clearly stated

- Ex.12:49 - " The LAW of the 1st born"
- Lev.6:14 - " The LAW of the cereal offering"
- Lev. 6:25- " The LAW of the sin offering"
- Lev.7:7 - " The LAW of the sacrifice of peace offering"
- Lev.7:37- " The LAW of the burnt offering"

Law of jealousy, leprousy disease, law of fluid discharge and it goes on and on,

never was it mentioned enywhere of the LAW of TITHE/TITHEING as the case may be, rather the very first place you'll come across the word TITHE as regarding the israelites exodus from egypt was in Lev.27, reading from verse 1 it goes on like this

-1. And the Lord said,. . . vs. 30: it stated TITHE and on it goes

Now my case is that many xtians today really tend to approach the scriptures with biased mindset, and the scripture being dynamic for what it is, will sooth the rebellious/wicked motives (the heart of man is desperately wicked)of the wicked man, and likewise good and easy for the simple but prudent man.

There is a difference btw LAWS and STANDARDS (e.g. Precepts, Ordinances, Statutories,Commandments),

What then are LAWS?

Hint: its defined as a decree, principle,act or ruling guiding a thing/people/standard (u can also check it for yourself)

Take note of the word standard in a law, recall i said Titheing is a standard, therefore the role of the Law was to show how Tithes/Titheings should be administered, and not that it was in itself a LAW

- Chuwkudi44 and co., you guys keep saying LAW has been abolished, but do you know that there is the LAW OF CHRIST? also refered to as THE LAW OF GRACE (1cor.9:20,Col.2:9-10, and lots more)

what the LAW of Grace(CHRIST) did was not to abolish but fulfill the LAWS of MOSES (do you also want scriptures to back this?) and in doing so,become a NEW LAW where all the standards and ordinances as given in the OT was to be followed ritually.

I quoted Matt.23:23, and clearly showed you that Christ plainly stated that both standards of religious living should not be neglected for the other, and all you could say was that HE(Christ) said that before His death, now if am to hold you on that, didnt christ made mentions of Jusitce, Mercy and Faithfulness b4 His death in that scripture?, if yes, then we should as well forget them becos he has abolished the Law, hello?

pls i'll pause here and attend to some clients while we continue later

God bless you, especially Chuwudi my friend cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 13, 2009
The extent some people would go to defend this tithing scam.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by nuraabi: 12:24pm On Aug 13, 2009
me
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 13, 2009
@TONYE-T

Why don't you show me were in the NT the aposles received tithes or asked people to pay tithes after the death and ressurection of Jesus.

How st Paul was fending for himself as he told us in 1 thes 3:8,when he cold have helped himself with tithes
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 13, 2009
St Paul actually fended for himself and encouraged others to do same,take a look at the quotation below and the other underlisted verses.
Acts 20:33-35
I ve never covetedany one's money or fine clothings .You know that these hands of mine have worked to pay my own way and I have even supplied the needs of those who were with me .And I have been a constant example of how uyou can help the poor by working hard.You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus:

It is more blessed to give than to receive

Similar quotes can be found in 1thes 2:9,2thes 3:7-10

Ask your pastors to go and fend for themselves if there are not contended with their freewill collections.There are not even asked to work for themselves.

Bunch of greedy thieves
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 2:28pm On Aug 13, 2009
@ Chukwudi44,

chukwudi44:

@TONYE-T

Why don't you show me were in the NT the aposles received tithes or asked people to pay tithes after the death and ressurection of Jesus.

You keep making me laugh all the more, while i tend to be making you cry, what a point, anyways, I'LL TURN YOUR GUN BACK AT YOU,

please

1. Why don't you show me where in the NT the apostles fasted or asked people to fast after the death and ressurection of Jesus

Yet why do we fast afterall since they never mentioned it after Jesus' death why then should we fast?  cheesy cheesy cheesy you're very sensitive and its beginning to show on your post, believe me i know. calm down and see the scriptures unbiased.

chukwudi44:

@TONYE-T
How st Paul was fending for himself as he told us in 1 thes 3:8,when he cold have helped himself with tithes

2. Check your bible ref. again, you misquoted because there aint nothing in 1Thes.3:8 that shows anything about paul nor his fending for himself, but to answer your question i'll try and type a passage in the scriptures and pls read it so that you know why Paul would not collect alms or anything and how its not a crime or act of stealing if MOGs do so:

1 Cor 9:1-18
1 Corinthians 9
9:1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?

2 Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me.

4 Don't we have the right to food and drink?

5 Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas?

6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who must work for a living?

7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk?

8 Do I say this merely from a human point of view? Doesn't the Law say the same thing?

9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned?

10 Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.

11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?

12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13 [size=13pt]Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar[/size]?

14 In the same way, [size=14pt]the Lord has commanded [/size] that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

15 But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me. I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of this boast.

16 Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me.

18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it.

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.

22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.

27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
NIV

The problem here is that ,just because you guys see how bad shepherds fake and exploit the sheep you come out open and condemn a standard, i often say to folks that "JUST BECAUSE A THING HAS BEEN EXPLOITED AND ABUSED, DOESNT MEAN IT BAD" the bad there is how the MOGs use it. period!

Do you understand? God bless you

where are all the ANTI-TITHERS come out! cheesy wink

1 Like

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 13, 2009
1. Why don't you show me where in the NT the apostles fasted or asked people to fast after the death and ressurection of Jesus
[\quote]

Has anybody said that everyone should fast every month or that fasting is very fundamental to salvation.

2 I actually meant 1thes: 3 7-10

11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?

12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13 Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar?

14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

What has this got to do with tithes ,don't people give freewill collections to support their pastors?,where does it say it must be 10%?

Show me where the Apostles asked us to pay tithes(10%) or any where in the Bible where tithes was paid,monthly,daily ,weekly or with money.

Tithe was never money and can never be money
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 2:47pm On Aug 13, 2009
chukwudi44:

Bunch of greedy thieves

no no not again, whats up with ur emotions man?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 13, 2009
@tonye t
Why are you wasting your time on this tithe issue? It as already been clearly established on this forum several times that tithing is not a true christian doctrine a it was introduced to christianity as a result of greed on the part of preachers thru distortion of scriptures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Why Do GOtv And DStv Censor The Name Of God? / Michael Thomas-Sambo Divine Revelation Of Hell / Photo Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In Superman Attire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 196
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.