Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43292 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:05am On Aug 19, 2009
Mad_Max:

I mean this as nicely as it is possible to mean such a thing, but you really are terribly ignorant. Jewish laws and customs have nothing to do with gentiles and is not part of our inheritance. The very verses you flourish has been used to show you tithing is irrelevant to us, is part of Jewish law and has been cancelled by christ. Romans, I think, has much to say about that.

There aint nothing as nice as saying someone is terribl~, well that said, i wish to see you as the more ignorant, because what you guys have been doing all the while is to throw abuses and insults when you're supposed to simply show or give proof from the same bible you and I read all the time

From my judgement, you guys are too sensitive and tend to judge from logical point of view and not the spiritual point of view, I SHOWED AND EXPLAINED HERE TO YOU WHAT LAWS ARE AND WHAT CUSTOMS ARE AND YET YOU ARGUE ALL THE MORE, if you feel my definition of Law was wrong, i simply say, why dont you show me a better definition. Period ! and not sling muds on the other. "truth dey bitter" maybe i guess dis saying is very correct and much applicable here, i show the truth and you guys in turn bring the insults. embarassed embarassed undecided undecided

You made mention of Titheing as Jewish laws, what more ignorance can someone show if not this, DO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT ABRAHAM WAS A JEW WHEN HE TITHED, DO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME JACOB WAS A JEW WHEN THEY BOTH TITHED? since we both know know they werent then how come they tithed before the Mosaic Law, In Hebrew, the passage you quoted, you guys dont seem to understand the portion even better, what that side explained had to do with the significance of Titheing as a COVENANT, which i have been trying to proof here though i did somewhere in another thread.

As for you my friend Jagoon, you seem to be making me laff all the more each time i read thru all your posts on NL (religion to be more precised), *hmmm, milk sucking Xtians and Bone eating xtians , well i aint talking  grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 19, 2009
Kindly quote at least one verse in the bible [in proper context] which remotely suggests money as a alternate to the yearly tithes from harvest stipulated in the bible.

Mr tonye -t why dont you answer the above question?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 1:35pm On Aug 19, 2009
Mr. Chukwudi44,

from the beginning i have never said titheing should be in monetary terms, i am ONLY and FIRMLY on the stands that titheing remains a practice of the new testament, as the topic of the thread suggest.because since it existed before the advent of the law it meant that titheing was a standard for covenant and not a LAW as you and other folks go about misinforming peeps here.

If you wish to pay your tithe in clothes why not, if you wish to give your tithe in agricultural produce why not, but as for me,Titheing was never a LAW but a STANDARD included in the LAW.

period!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 19, 2009
tonye-t:

Mr. Chukwudi44,

from the beginning i have never said titheing should be in monetary terms, i am ONLY and FIRMLY on the stands that titheing remains a practice of the new testament, as the topic of the thread suggest.because since it existed before the advent of the law it meant that titheing was a standard for covenant and not a LAW as you and other folks go about misinforming peeps here.

If you wish to pay your tithe in clothes why not, if you wish to give your tithe in agricultural produce why not, but as for me,Titheing was never a LAW but a STANDARD included in the LAW.

period!

Sorry to disapoint you but you can't pay tithes in money or clothing the book of deut 14 clearly defines what could be tithed.

You must set aside a tithe-one tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.bring this tithe to the place the lord your God choses for his name to be honoured and eat it there in his presence.
This applies to the tithes of your grain,new wine,olive oil and firstborn males of your flocks and herds.[/b]The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to fear the lord your God.

I have said this before that tithing was not the only jewish law that preceded the law circumcision and burnt offerings also did ,so why are you not offering burnt offerings today?
even if we are circumcised today but it has no reeligious undertone as it is strictly as a medical precaution.So please stop bringing up his your statement that tithe preceded the law, it is begining to irritate me since I have addressed it several times.

St paul vehemently condemmed the practise of circumcision in the book of galatians and included it among the mosaic law even though it actually preced the law abi was st Paul wrong ?

Please could you please [b] biblically
explain what you mean by standard.

How was this standard passed to us,you may use bible quotations to explain this.

Also state where the Bible asks us to use other things other than agricultural products for tithing,also show where were taught to tithe monthly ,weekly or daily other than the annual and once in three years tithe as stated in deut 14:22-29
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 5:23pm On Aug 19, 2009
@Chukwudi44,

forgive me o, but so far as i know here you have been acting like a real mumu, no hard feelings pls, apologies to the OP, you know why

1. you no sabi debate, all you do is insult your neighbor

2. your arguments are just baseless, you argue here and there, one can not really read you posts and learn, because when you are presented with proofs you just jump the topic and bring another baseless issue. the OP from origin never mentioned that titheing should be made made in money, he stands on the point that it is a standard from origin and not part of the law, he even gave proofs from the scriptures. The next thing you did was to skip the issue and start asking him to show you where titheing should be made in money. what a pathetic discussant you are

3. Now let me add to his contribution, if you (chuwkudi44) is saying no one should give titheing in money, then i ask you, was there any place snce the origin of offering, where bible said we should give offerings in money?,  from the origin it has been with animal, so why dont you still go on and offer goats. there was a place in corinthian where Paul told the people to gather all their alms in money so that when he comes he will receive it and take it to Jerusalem. now why didnt paul tell them to gather their alms in livestocks and cattles and keep for him

4. what the OP is sayng is that Jesus clearly stated it in Matt.23:23 that they should keep justice, righteousnes and faithfulness without neglecting titheing too. what else do you want to be proved, for christ sake? are you more knowledgeable than Jesus himself who said one shouldbe kept without neglecting the other.

na wa o! even in the thread someone raised about idea of splitting tithe, all your comments there are so funny and x-rays you as a phoney. forgive my manners.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 20, 2009
2. your arguments are just baseless, you argue here and there, one can not really read you posts and learn, because when you are presented with proofs you just jump the topic and bring another baseless issue. the OP from origin never mentioned that titheing should be made made in money, he stands on the point that it is a standard from origin and not part of the law, he even gave proofs from the scriptures. The next thing you did was to skip the issue and start asking him to show you where titheing should be made in money. what a pathetic discussant you are.

Mr Gentleman ,your aguments are the one once should say are baseless.I still maintain that tithe has been abolished but just to prove a point I assumed that even if
tithing was still valid,there is no where in the Bible it was instructed that it should paid in money or that it should paid monthly,daily or weekly.

Do you think that the jews were not using money or that they were not earning income daily,monthly or weekly?.Why weren't they asked to pay tithes in money or weekly,daily or monthly?

Deut 14:22-29 said it all
You must set aside a tithe-one tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.bring this tithe to the place the lord your God choses for his name to be honoured and eat it there in his presence.
This applies to the tithes of your grain,new wine,olive oil and firstborn males of your flocks and herds.The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to fear the lord your God

The boldened sections sys it all ,what could be tithed and the frequency of tithing.

I must add that the tithe paid out to levites were paid once every three years as stated in deut 14 22-29,deut 26:12.

The tithe paid annually was for the tither to eat with his family.(while tithing was still valid)

What do you mean by standard and where is that in the Bible?
Standard is a creation of tonye-t and he alone knowws what he means by that ,it is an unscriptural term . Jesus christ himself clearly stated that tithing was part of the law in matt 23:23.

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matthew 23:23
also

Hebrews 7:5 .
And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham.

This verses clearly proves tithing as part of the law

The frequency of tithing was thus clearly staed as once every three years(while tithing was still valid)

Amos 4:4
Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years:

• Deuteronomy 26:12 .
When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;

Deuteronomy 14:28 .
At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates.

3. Now let me add to his contribution, if you (chuwkudi44) is saying no one should give titheing in money, then i ask you, was there any place snce the origin of offering, where bible said we should give offerings in money?, from the origin it has been with animal, so why dont you still go on and offer goats. there was a place in corinthian where Paul told the people to gather all their alms in money so that when he comes he will receive it and take it to Jerusalem. now why didnt paul tell them to gather their alms in livestocks and cattles and keep for him

That is why offerings are still practised under christianity and paid in money today,why dont you also cite a bible passage where christians (not jews) tithed or were asked to pay tithes.

. what the OP is sayng is that Jesus clearly stated it in Matt.23:23 that they should keep justice, righteousnes and faithfulness without neglecting titheing too. what else do you want to be proved, for christ sake? are you more knowledgeable than Jesus himself who said one shouldbe kept without neglecting the other.

na wa o! even in the thread someone raised about idea of splitting tithe, all your comments there are so funny and x-rays you as a phoney. forgive my manners

Young man you are so ill-informed ,living in bondage of the law ,I hope and pray that you come out of it
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by GEW: 11:05am On Aug 20, 2009
kunle is busy making money he cant find time to defend his work.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:35am On Aug 20, 2009
Yeah I am making money so I can pay up my several years arrears of tithing and contribute towards my G.O buying his own private jet.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:42am On Aug 20, 2009
@chukwudi
Keep up the good work and remain steadfast in your fight for the truth. I would be back full time very soon to join in the fight against "the crime against humanity" being perpetuated in the name of tithes. This evil doctrine must stop and all true christians should join in the crusade against it.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by GEW: 12:31pm On Aug 20, 2009
KunleOshob:

Yeah I am making money so I can pay up my several years arrears of tithing and contribute towards my G.O buying his own private jet.
so u have private jet buying GO's in the baptist movement too?

do you have problem with telling the truth?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:56pm On Aug 20, 2009
This is what our Lord Jesus Christ had to say on tithing in Mark 12:41-44 (The words of Christ in red).

"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.  And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.  And He called to him His disciples, and said to them, Verily I say to you.  That this poor widow has cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury.  For all they did cast in of their abundance, but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living."

We can see that even among the so called believers, when it comes to parting with their money the Far-to-sees and the Sad-u-see out did them in giving but Jesus said that except your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees and Sadducees you shall not enter the kingdom of God.  My people here are still arguing over 10% of their income, here is a widow who gave her all that the Lord recommended to have given the best.  My people can be trusted to fight till the last blood when it comes to the issue of parting with their money, the wallet is surely the last and final area to be surrendered to God if and when God needs it.

Jesus spoke much about money.  He said that we cannot serve God and mammon (Matthew 6:24).  "Mammon" was the common Aramaic word for riches, which is related to a Hebrew word signifying "that which is to be trusted."  In other words, we cannot trust God and money simultaneously, they are both mutually exclusive.  Either money is our source of Joy, our great love, our sense of security, the supplier of our needs (trust my people), or God is.

When you open your purse or wallet, give generously and regularly to your local church where you are being fed with daily or regular spiritual manna.  A guide to how much you should give can be found in the "tithe" of the Old Testament, which is 10% of your income.  Whatever amount you give, make sure you give something to the work of God (Malachi 3:8-11).  Give because you want to, not because you have to.  God loves a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:6.7), so my obodo people, learn to hold your money (eego, owo, kudi) with a loose hand.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by MadMax1(f): 5:11pm On Aug 20, 2009
We all recognise modern churches are organisations and they take money to run effectively,as well as pay full-time ministers' salaries. However, giving is different from the baseless, exploitative, crassly ignorant, extortionate and false doctrine of Tithing being propagated in many churches. Not all pastors preach it to fleece their flock. Some believe in tithing sincerely, and are just as sincerely wrong.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 20, 2009
@Olaadegbu
I am glad you have stated we cannot serve God and marmon. Yet you endorse marmon worship amongst our pastors who twist scripture to extort this "evil" money from us. Are your so called pastors not coveting our money?[In the name of tithes] as we know biblical tithes is not money.mamorn worship should first stop in the church especially in the pentecostal movement that are notorious fos this evil deed.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 20, 2009
This is what our Lord Jesus Christ had to say on tithing in Mark 12:41-44 (The words of Christ in red).

"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.  And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.  And He called to him His disciples, and said to them, Verily I say to you.  That this poor widow has cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury.  For all they did cast in of their abundance, but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living

Oladeegbu please dont deliberatly misinteptret the scriptures .The money paid by the widow was just freewill offering and not tithes.

It was never stated that the woman  paid a tenth of her earnings ,in fact there is no where in the bible where tithe was paid with money.If it was the recommended ten percent then why then was Jesus commending her since she put in what was required by the law.

The boldened section says it all .I must add that I am not against christians freely donating money to assist their churches ,what I am fighting is the criminal heresy that christians are required to pay 10 percent of their earnings to the church,Thus introducing the abolished mosaic law into christianity.

2 cor 9:7 clearly states that christians should not give out of pressure but rather as one purposes in his heart.

I would continue asking this question untill someone answers me

who increased the frequency of tithing from once in three years as stated in the scriptures(deut 14:28,deut 26;12,amos 4:4) to now monthly,weekly or even daily?

How come tithing now involve money contrary bto the specification that it could only be agricultural products as stated in deut 14:22-29?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:51pm On Aug 20, 2009
@chukwudi44'

If by giving 10% you are crying 'blue murder' what will you cry when God demands that you give sacrificially as the widow gave? and yet that is what Jesus is recommending, but you cannot give to God sacrificially if you still have money as your mammon. Jesus has to dethrone mammon in your heart for your sacrifice to be acceptable.

"The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he brings it with a wicked mind?" -- Prov. 21:27
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2009
To those of the household of faith.

Giving and Receiving

"Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only." (Philippians 4:15)

As Paul went on his missionary journeys, he never asked for money for himself from the people to whom he preached. He later wrote to the Thessalonians, "because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God" (1 Thessalonians 2:9). He did stress the teaching of Christ that "the labourer is worthy of his reward" (1 Timothy 5:18; Luke 10:7) and that "even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel" (1 Corinthians 9:14). But he himself said: "I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me" (1 Corinthians 9:15).

Thus he was especially moved when the impoverished Christians at Philippi, without being asked, "sent once and again unto my necessity" (Philippians 4:16), and they were the only ones who did! This act of generous concern came about, Paul recognised, because they "first gave their own selves to the Lord" (2 Corinthians 8:5). As a result, Paul could assure them: "My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19). Not only their material need, but every need.

They had learned a wonderful truth that every Christian needs to learn. As Paul told the Ephesian elders: "Remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35). Therefore, let each of us give in His name, "not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work" (2 Corinthians 9:7-cool. HMM
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 7:56pm On Aug 20, 2009
I didn't want to comment on this over-flogged horse that has been debated uncountable times here on NL but I feel like there is scriptural dishonesty going on this thread. and Tonye I saw this thread and immediately thought to leave you to your convictions but since you've determined to project your own personal convictions on this matter of tithing unto other christians and declare that the standard for them as well - I decided to respond.

I had remarked to you once that it is possible for 2 christians to believe differently about something and both be right. Romans 14. And Paul's conclusion was that each man should be fully convinced in the faith about their choice. Which is why I am not sure why this matter is still being 'debated'.

Twist and misquote the scriptures all you want - There is no new testament directive for christians to tithe - infact there is no new testament directive for us to do anything outside of faith! there are no requirements, no laws, no rituals. There are a few portions that you can read & apply to mean the tithe is still relevant - to you - but another can also quote 2Cor 9:7 which says clearly "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver"
  - and I despise it when people only quote the last portion that says God loves a cheerful giver without quoting the first part that says "Each man should decide in his heart what to give"

Now is it good to tithe by faith? Yes.
Is it good to not tithe[i] by faith[/i]? Yes.
Is it good to tithe as if you were following a law and trying to fufill a requirement? No.
Is it a requirement for NT Christians? No.
Is it a choice based solely on faith? Yes.
Are those who tithe better, more spiritual than those who don't? No.
Are those who don't tithe necessarily stingy and greedy? big fat NO.

The bible does teach that if you give it will come back to you, and you will be blessed - but this is seperate from the issue of tithing. It is also sad and reprehensible pro-tithers label non-tithers as stingy and greedy and unwilling to give a "mere 10%" to God. This is condescending and reeks of spiritual superiority complex. Just because a christian doesn't tithe doesn't mean they don't give generously and in many cases even more than those who beat their chest as accomplished tithers.

No I don't tithe, but I give regularly and whenever I am able to, sometimes small, sometimes large. Not just to my local church, but to family, friends who may be in need, to the stranger, to the homeless man, to my 6 yr old neighbor, to the local charity etc. Does the church need finances to forward the gospel of Christ? absolutely! do churches need finances to run/operate? of course, and the staff must be taken care of by the congregation and Christians should give as much and as frequently as they can. But one who's persuaded to tithe must and should not look down on the one who doesn't.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Krayola2(m): 8:55pm On Aug 20, 2009
Jesus' original ministry had no such thing in it. "Tithing" was Paul's invention and it had to do with the realities of urban ministry. . . although it was never meant as a requirement for christians to give x% of their earnings or whateva is practiced today

Hello Jeseoul. . .how nah?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:58pm On Aug 20, 2009
Adrian Rogers of blessed memory had this to say:

"It is better to be divided in truth than to be united in error, it is better to speak truth that hurts and then heals than to speak a lie; it is better to be hated for telling the truth than to be loved for telling a lie; it is better to stand alone with truth than to be wrong with the multitude . . . The religion of today is 'get-along-ism.'  It is time for men and women of God to stand,[even] if they have to stand alone."

How true are these sayings in these latter days.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 9:03pm On Aug 20, 2009
Krayola2:

Jesus' original ministry had no such thing in it. "Tithing" was Paul's invention and it had to do with the realities of urban ministry. . . although it was never meant as a requirement for christians to give x% of their earnings or whateva is practiced today
Well not really. Tithes started with Abraham and was an OT law actually.

Hello Jeseoul. . .how nah?
O jare I dey. How were your exams? I hope you returned with an A+++, anything less will be unbecoming of a man of your calibre  smiley

OLAADEGBU:

Adrian Rogers of blessed memory had this to say:

"It is better to be divided in truth than to be united in error, it is better to speak truth that hurts and then heals than to speak a lie; it is better to be hated for telling the truth than to be loved for telling a lie; it is better to stand alone with truth than to be wrong with the multitude . . . The religion of today is 'get-along-ism.' It is time for men and women of God to stand,[even] if they have to stand alone."
  Sounds nice and solid.

But how does that prove the "law/requirement" of tithing you've been advocating here? when there is clearly not a NT directive for today's christians.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Recognise: 9:32pm On Aug 20, 2009
grin Interesting . . . a brewing pot grin

"To be tight or not to be tight" that is the question grin

As yall know just as in everything else in OT, tithing is/was a foreshadow of the real thing grin

Tithing is a means to an end, its not the end itself  grin

Its not the be all, end all grin Ha-har!

Whats the bigger picture, eh?

What is bigger than the "church"? Someone tell me

How were things originally meant to be before "Out of Eden", eh?

Check out the birds in air and the lillies by river for clues  grin

Read on what the early church did before Ananias and Saphira threw a spanner into the wheelwork grin

You'll cop on later, you'll soon get the drift . . .

Its a faith thing baby  grin

You've gotta to flex that faith muscles to get to the point of big faith smiley

Yup its going to be slow but surely a gradually build up & ascent . . .

What need does the King of Glory, Self Sufficient GOD have for measly ten percentages (i.e. 10%) . . .

The earth is the LORD's and its fullness thereof, the world and all that dwell in it I hear you quote. . .

Hypocrites! grin Thou of little faith . . .

HINT 10% is the starting point . . .  grin

PS: No matter where you stand. OT Christian, NT Christian, OT&NT Christian . . . grin

You cant escape from training with a starting point of 10% . . .  wink grin

Watchword: Mark 4:20 grin
If you can be bothered to check the verse out grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 21, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

@chukwudi44'

If by giving 10% you are crying 'blue murder' what will you cry when God demands that you give sacrificially as the widow gave? and yet that is what Jesus is recommending, but you cannot give to God sacrificially if you still have money as your mammon. Jesus has to dethrone mammon in your heart for your sacrifice to be acceptable.

"The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he brings it with a wicked mind?" -- Prov. 21:27

why dont you wait till God asks me to pay 100% to see what Iwill do before you comment.

mind you God did not say christians should pay tithes
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 2:32pm On Aug 21, 2009
Recognise,
   my brotha you know I love you right?  smiley but I'm going to have to whip you if I see you . . . lol

Recognise:

You've gotta to flex that faith muscles to get to the point of big faith smiley

Yup its going to be slow but surely a gradually build up & ascent . . .

What need does the King of Glory, Self Sufficient GOD have for measly ten percentages (i.e. 10%) . . .

The earth is the LORD's and its fullness thereof, the world and all that dwell in it I hear you quote. . .

Hypocrites! grin Thou of little faith . . .

HINT 10% is the starting point . . .  grin

PS: No matter where you stand. OT Christian, NT Christian, OT&NT Christian . . . grin

You cant escape from training with a starting point of 10% . . .  wink grin

This is my problem with many pro-tithers. Are you somehow insinuating that those who don't tithe don't have "big faith"? and that we somehow are lacking in something tithers have attained?

And how did 10% become the "starting point"? for who? who's to say the "starting point" for another's choice to tithe is not 5%? or 1%? isn't this all about faith and not rules of engagement? what are all these rules and laws and "standards" some pro-tithers are again instituting upon christians when we have been freed from these rigid following of laws?

I choose not to tithe by faith! Because my faith frees me from a ritualistic, systematic, cyclic procedure of giving a certain amount - hence I give as I decide in my heart (2 Cor 9). Your faith frees you to adopt the systematic giving of 10% and there is nothing wrong with that! we all believe differently and that is okay (please read Romans 14).

what is wrong is when pro-tithers think themselves spiritually superior enough to project their own personal convictions on tithing to become the standard for other christians. This is wrong my brother, wrong.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Recognise: 3:43pm On Aug 21, 2009
JeSoul:

Recognise,

My brotha you know I love you right?  smiley

but I'm going to have to whip you if I see you . . . lol

This is my problem with many pro-tithers.

Are you somehow insinuating that those who don't tithe don't have "big faith"?

and that we somehow are lacking in something tithers have attained?

And how did 10% become the "starting point"? for who?

Who's to say the "starting point" for another's choice to tithe is not 5%? or 1%?

Isn't this all about faith and not rules of engagement?

What are all these rules and laws and "standards" some pro-tithers are again instituting upon christians when we have been freed from these rigid following of laws?

I choose not to tithe by faith!

Because my faith frees me from a ritualistic, systematic, cyclic procedure of giving a certain amount

- hence I give as I decide in my heart (2 Cor 9).

Your faith frees you to adopt the systematic giving of 10% and there is nothing wrong with that!

We all believe differently and that is okay (please read Romans 14).

What is wrong is when pro-tithers think themselves spiritually superior enough to project their own personal convictions on tithing to become the standard for other christians.

This is wrong my brother, wrong.

@JeSoul

- JeSoul

grin Jay! grin My sista, my sista from another mother

You wan lash agbalagbi  grin grin . . .

On a serious note, rewind, do a double check & read between/behind the lines of my posting grin

Notice I mentioned that just like most things in the OT,

tithing inclusive is a foreshadow of the real thing grin

You'll notice I didnt explicitly advocate 10% and didnt respond to any one in particular grin

That was deliberate because it's not about tithing at all,

Not the very least, if anyone thought so,

then they've got I beg your pardon, a myopic understanding

grin Tithing has gone by its sell by date  grin

In the real sense  grin the issue is not about tithing, I could have used 0.5%; 1%; 2% etc

I used 10% in my posting & contributed according to the posting subject matter (i.e. tithing; 10%)

Yup one can start with less than 10% but rule of thumb, ideally, 10%,  is preferable if serious & sincere IMHO

Whether its 0.5%; 1%; 2% or 10%,

its still boils down to faith & how much faith muscle one able/wants to flex grin

Wake up and smell the coffee, issue hasnt got anything to do with tithing baby . . .

The goal post has been widen & moved since when the temple curtains got ripped grin

Its according one's faith & yup as you rightly said according to how the Spirit leads one . . . . . . Not one's heart . . .

"To be tight" or "not to be tight" grin

- That is the question most are wrestling with. Not 10% or whatever

grin Dont fight me Sis grin We are in the same team & corner grin

Pro-tither? Me? Not me grin

Tithing is old school. Tithing is limiting. Measly sorry-ass 10%. Pathetic grin . . . where is the faith grin

The picture is bigger than tithing men grin

and the soil is bigger than the "church"

Hey any superiority complex claim is a figment of an imagination & unfounded

The little faith issue shouldnt be misconstrued as a negativity

A journey of a thousand steps starts with the first little step, isnt it?

Little faith has potentials to be an amazing mind-blowing faith if flexed . . .

We were MERELY just stoking the fire . . .

and throwing the knowledge know-to-have-an-edge out there

[center]While I thought I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.[/center]
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 4:01pm On Aug 21, 2009
lol . . . no qualms brother, you know I still got you kiss.

I just wanted for us all to be clear on what exactly we're saying as we can either lead many astray or lead them to freedom in Christ. You have explained yourself smiley so I will save the koboko for the next time cool
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Recognise: 4:25pm On Aug 21, 2009
JeSoul:

lol . . . no qualms brother, you know I still got you kiss.

I just wanted for us all to be clear on what exactly we're saying

as we can either lead many astray or lead them to freedom in Christ.

You have explained yourself smiley so I will save the koboko for the next time cool

@JeSoul

- JeSoul

Jay grin Its not easy, not easy at all . . .

Some things can't necessarily be drop for public consumption just like that . . .

Timing, opportunities, the person offered the information etc have to be right

Peeps are still wrestling & struggling with 10%

Whats going to happen when they get presented with the bigger picture & the reality

When the boat is pushed out, am testament of the responses & marvels of Jehovah Jireh . . .

Only Him can build up faith & direct one enough to step out of the boat grin

grin Its a journey. And we're getting there . . . 

Maybe slowly, with the odd hitches but certainly we're getting there surely smiley

[center]While I thought I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.[/center]
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by GEW: 5:29pm On Aug 21, 2009
tithing 101. do Nigerians like paying for anything or obeying any rule for that matter?

have still not got anyone telling me how to fund the church and ministries they so willingly enjoy. is it a case of you all fund it and i come enjoy becos i am free loading sanctimonious Nigerians.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Recognise: 6:04pm On Aug 21, 2009
GEW:

Tithing 101. Do Nigerians like paying for anything or obeying any rule for that matter?

Have still not got anyone telling me how to fund the church and ministries they so willingly enjoy.

Is it a case of you all fund it and I come enjoy becos I am free loading sanctimonious Nigerians.

@GEW

- GEW

This is it GEW, its actually more than the "church"

Most "churches" are egocentric & self centred

Appreciation & taking cognizance of how kingdoms operate helps

and does bring things such finances etc in to perspective concerning the Kingdom of Heaven

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:27pm On Aug 21, 2009
The Bible says:

"Buy the truth and sell it not; also wisdom and instruction and understanding." -- Proverbs.23:23

It is unfortunate that a lot of Christian ministries ask for money from their audience, often with the promise that God will prosper them if they give.  God knows the intentions of the preachers or pastors, but the unsaved don't, and therefore get easily misled by the practice.  We should be careful never to give the wrong impression that our motivation for demanding money is the love of money.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 21, 2009
Final confirmation dat Olaadegbu is a money loving tithe demanding pastor. You don't have to pretend the bible says by your fruits we shall know you. For you to support and defend the unscriptural greedy and evil doctrine of tithes which christ and apostles never preached, you have shown your fruits clearly.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by dwonder(m): 9:13am On Aug 22, 2009
Must Christians Pay Tithes?

CERTAIN religious organizations, as, for example, the Adventists, Mormons, etc., insist on taxing their members one-tenth (or tithe) of their annual income for support of their respective church systems. It is said that such demands are in accord with the tithing laws given to ancient Israel.
The first mention of tithes in the Bible is found at Genesis 14:20, where it tells about the patriarch Abraham giving Melchizedek, the king of Salem and priest of the Most High God, a tenth of the victory spoils obtained in a particular battle. Since Christ was to be a priest after the order of Melchizedek, and since the apostle Paul recounts this incident in Hebrews and shows the superiority of the Melchizedek priesthood over the Levitical priesthood, some people conclude that Christians should pay weekly, monthly or yearly tithes to the greater Melchizedek, Christ Jesus. (Heb. 7:1-12) To draw such a conclusion is to overlook some very important facts, namely, that there is only one recorded instance of Abraham’s giving a tithe. Hence it was not a regular thing with him, nor did he establish a tithing system for his descendants. The fact that his grandson Jacob voluntarily made a special vow to pay tithes on certain conditions proves that they had not practiced tithing.—Gen. 28:22.

In the expansion of the Law given at Mount Sinai, tithing taxes on the land, the fruit trees, and the herds and flocks, were taken for the support of the Levites, since they had no common inheritance in the land with the other tribes. (Lev. 27:30-33; Num. 18:21-32) Out of this fund certain provisions were also taken for the comfort of strangers and orphans and widows. It seems that aid to the poor was to come especially from the third-year tithes. For two years the tithes must be taken to the tabernacle or temple at Jerusalem, but the third year the tithes for that year were to be paid in the villages locally and made available to not only Levites but also “the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow”.—Deut. 12:5-7, 11, 12, 17-19; 14:22-29; 26:12-14.
However, under the oppressive rule of Israel’s selfish and wicked kings tithing was either neglected or was misappropriated, and as a result the nation did not have God’s blessing. (Mal. 3:8-11; 1 Sam. 8:10-18) Good King Hezekiah during his reign restored the tithes for the sanctuary service. And again, after the Jews returned from Babylonish captivity, Nehemiah also set this matter in order.—2 Chron. 31:4-6; Neh. 10:34-39; 12:44; 13:5, 12.
Then came Jesus and the time for the ending of the old Law covenant. Born under that Law, while it was still in force, Jesus upheld and fulfilled every part of it, including its tithing provisions. However, his only commendation of tithing was a sort of left-handed one aimed at the formalistic and hypocritical tithe-paying religionists.—Matt. 23:23.

LAW WITH TITHING ORDINANCE REMOVED
Search as you may you will not find Jesus recommending or commending tithing for his followers. When Jesus sent out his apostles and disciples to do missionary work from house to house and city to city, even unto the ends of the world, he made no provisions for their support through tithing. (Matt. 10:1-42; 28:19, 20; Luke 9:1-10; 10:1-17; Acts 1:cool Jesus came to fulfill and put an end to the Law covenant and all of its ordinances by having it nailed to his torture stake, and at the same time his poured-out blood set in operation a new covenant with superior arrangements. (Col. 2:14-16) Under such new system Christians are under new commandments that are summed up in total or complete love. They must therefore consecrate, not a tenth part, but everything they possess to God’s service and for the aid and comfort of good-will strangers among them.—Matt. 22:36-40.

Recall how Jesus commended the poor widow who gave two small coins, together worth about one-fourth cent. Not a mere tenth, but “all of what she had, her whole living”. (Mark 12:41-44, NW) The same principle was emphasized in Jesus’ parables, how a man finding a “treasure hidden in a field” sold everything, not a tenth part, and purchased the field. And again, how the merchant seeking pearls found a very costly one, and sold everything to buy it. (Matt. 13:44-46, NW) Jesus was not advocating tithing for Christians when he told the rich young man who had kept all the laws of Moses (including that of tithing) to sell the other nine-tenths of his wealth to help the poor and then follow Jesus so that he might have real treasures in heaven. (Matt. 19:20-22) Truly, Christians are under a superior law!

There are multitudes who, after giving one-tenth of their increase, might fare sumptuously every day, gratifying every whim, and living by the most lavish expenditure. How could they fulfill the law of Christ? or be self-sacrificing? Instead of being Christlike they would be pharisaical. The Pharisees were oh so exacting! in paying tithes of the very smallest seeds (mint, dill, cummin); but how selfish and far away from the Lord were their hearts! “Blind guides, who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel!” (Matt. 15:6-9; 23:23) In fallen man under Satan’s influence there is always the tendency to substitute form and formalism for spirit and spirituality, rules for principles. It is so much easier to conform the conduct to a rule than to make a principle inform the whole life. Moses prescribed rules; Christ inculcated principles. Rules are for children; principles for men and women mature in Christian growth.

TITHING UNKNOWN IN EARLY CHURCH
After Jesus ascended on high do we find the apostles recommending tithing among Christians? Not at all! Paul, who was given the care of all the congregations (2 Cor. 11:28), declared that the provisions and ordinances of the Mosaic law were only a “shadow of the heavenly things”, of “good things to come”, and hence were not the very substance of spiritual things. “Let no man judge you” in connection with the invalidated Law. Christians are concerned about the substance, not the shadow.—Heb. 8:5; 10:1; Col. 2:12-17.

Christians maintain no Levitical priesthood. No “clergy class” exists among them, for whom tithes are collected. “All you are brothers.” (Matt. 23:8-11) Those given oversight of Christian congregations, therefore, are unpaid slaves, not hirelings, not lovers of money or greedy for selfish gain. (John 10:13; 13:15, 16; Heb. 13:5; 1 Pet. 2:16; 5:1-4) This is why Paul, the overseer, instead of collecting tithes for his support, worked with his own hands making tents. (Acts 18:3; 1 Cor. 4:12; 1 Thess. 2:9) Christians in those ancient times, in proving love for God and fellow Christians, made voluntary contributions for the needy, yes, but no oppressive tithing system was established.—Acts 11:29, 30; Rom. 15:26; 1 Cor. 16:1, 2; 2 Cor. 9:1-7; Gal. 2:10.

Unknown in the early church, tithing was not introduced until wolves had entered in and spoiled the simple purity of the Christian flock. (Matt. 7:15; Acts 20:29, 30; Rom. 16:17, 18; 2 Pet. 2:1, 3) Apostasy in turn spawned an oppressive and expensive hierarchy of bishops, archbishops, metropolitans, popes, etc., who placed heavy financial burdens on the necks of the people. Revenue for this drone class had to be obtained somehow, and so in the year 567 the Council of Tours made tithing obligatory. In 585 the second Council of Macon made its payment mandatory under pain of excommunication. The pope-crowned Charlemagne enforced tithing throughout the “Holy Roman Empire”, and in such countries as France the Roman Catholic Church continued collecting tithes until the Revolution in 1790.
Various Protestant denominations, while not insisting on the one-tenth under pain of death, and while not claiming that all the Jewish Law is binding upon them, certainly give the impression that the Mosaic tithing law still rests on Christians. They point to Abraham and Jacob who preceded the Mosaic law. By this device hundreds of thousands of dollars annually pour into the treasuries of the Adventists and Mormons. Tithing is often the main subject, the theme that is worn threadbare by the Mormons at their annual conferences. Like the Pharisees of old, “they bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of mankind, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger.” (Matt. 23:4) Of the clergy who receive tithes today it may be asked, Do you pay tithes of your income to what you consider God’s cause? The Levites paid tithes of the tithes they received. Do you get all the tithes for yourself or for church work? The Levites did not keep all. Do you care for the poor in your congregation from the tithes received, as Israel did?

The Adventists try to justify their “take” in tithing with a barrage of misapplied scriptures. They cite Proverbs 3:9: “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase.” But this says nothing about honoring God with only ten per cent. Christians must consecrate all, and putting the Lord’s interests first in their lives, they give him the best, the “firstfruits”. Citing Psalms 24:1 and 50:10, 11, and Haggai 2:8, etc., as the Adventists do, in no way sustains their flimsy tithing argument. Deceitfully they quote 1 Corinthians 9:11, 13, 14 in their book Bible Readings for the Home Circle, 1921 edition, pp. 657, 658. Read the verse they leave out, verse 12, and you will see that Paul was not arguing for congregational support for himself, but was showing it was better to be self-supporting.

Let Seventh-Day Adventists explain this dilemma: They claim Israel’s Law covenant was in two parts, the Ten Commandments written on stone, and the ceremonial law later dictated to Moses. This latter part, the ceremonial rituals and ordinances, was the part done away with by Christ, they say. Well then, how does it come they harp so much about keeping the tithing law, seeing that it was no part of the Decalogue, but was part of the added regulations? Even by their own erroneous dogmatism they are thus hung!
Christians, begotten of the spirit of adoption, are sons of God, and as sons are under the new covenant, and they present their all to the Lord. (Rom. 8:14-17; 12:1) They are then made stewards in the Household, and must dispense their time, talents and material wealth in accordance with God’s perfect law of love. Let them therefore think, not in terms of tithes, but in the affection of allness, and thus gain entrance into everlasting abodes through their true Friends, Jehovah God and his Son Christ Jesus.—Luke 16:9.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:31am On Aug 22, 2009
Let us list the examples of those who paid tithes in the Bible and see whether we have principles to follow and appreciate.

Abraham (Genesis 14:20; Heb.7:1-11)

Jacob (Gen.28:22)

Levi in Abraham (Heb.7:9)

Hezekiah and Israel (2 Chronicles 31)

Hypocrites (Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:42; 18:12)

Christians (1 Corinthians 9:7-14; 16:2; 2 Cor. 8:1-15; Gal. 6:6; 1 Tim. 5:17-18; Heb.7)

There is no where in the Bible that mentions a substitute programme for tithing in the New Testament.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

TB Joshua Returns The Tithe Of A Widower And Father Of 3 / Man Gets Erection As Prophet Fufeyin "Performs Miracle" On Him / Folorunsho Alakija Preaches The Gospel On Streets Of Lagos (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.