Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,415 members, 7,808,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) (19739 Views)

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Excerpts From Arrow Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SirDavico(m): 7:31pm On Apr 30, 2016
Good evening ladies and gents cheesy cheesy cheesy
Without much ado, between things fall apart and arrow of god, which book do you think is better and why? Let's share our views. Critics are welcome.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Taduma1(f): 8:25pm On Apr 30, 2016
Gone are those days

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by apcmustwin(f): 6:25am On May 01, 2016
For things fall apart, like

For arrow of God share.

70 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by vb0mb(m): 6:26am On May 01, 2016
I prefer Arrow of God because its a tragicomedy.
Things fall Apart although its more proverbial but also interesting.

I still love Anthills of the Savannah.

12 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Smellymouth: 6:26am On May 01, 2016
Any person who had read Things Fall Apart before getting hold of Arrow of God may be tempted to think he is watching a re-run of the film of events and characters in Things Fall Apart..

But I must say, Things Fall Apart wins it.. smiley

VOTE MIMZY FOR MISS NL 2016 cool

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by brixton: 6:27am On May 01, 2016
Both are great books, but "things fall apart" is internationally acclaimed... So my vote is for things fall apart.

Good morning Nigerians, good night yanks!!

6 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 6:27am On May 01, 2016
Things Fall Apart is better because of the plot, theme and rich display of Igbo culture inherent. It told a story - our story - of the black man's struggle to maintain his independence and ways and how the whitemen forced their ways down our throat. They started by giving recognition to those rejected by the society and emboldened them to challenge the status quo. It pitted brother against brother. It brought about what we experience till date in Africa - love of the whiteman and his ways more than ours and ourselves.

Obierika, Okonkwo's friend, described it all when he said about the whiteman: "He has put a knife on what holds us together...things fall apart"

Arrow of Gods is another good story of the fight against modern and ancient. It confuses me sha, because I always feel there was no need for the god ulu to treat Ezeulu the way it did or is it that Achebe in his characteristic way of destroying his characters was in a hurry to 'deal' with Ezeulu?

Here is a man who spoke the truth and his people conspired against him. The god he served faithfully, who was already being challenged to a fight by lesser gods like Idemili and Ogwugwu decided to make a poor show of itself and disgrace its priest, thereby allowing his enemies to triumph over him.

Arrow of God holds me spell bound whenever I read it again and I have read it more than 100 times.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 6:28am On May 01, 2016
Should the question arise without reasons?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 6:30am On May 01, 2016
Things Fall Apart....the movie adaptation made the book worth reading

3 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Metobime(m): 6:30am On May 01, 2016
Things Fall Apart is the best

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by vb0mb(m): 6:30am On May 01, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
Should the question arise without reasons?

You have not read the books

4 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by patrikoolar: 6:31am On May 01, 2016
An appreciable knowledge of the socio-political context, the zeitgeist if you may, of the times these classics were dissipated from the grey matter, nay, oblongata of the most revered yet grossly under-rated ethno-African wordsmith of genius classification, is necessary to know that ...

Both are best for the nests they share ...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by SeverusSnape(m): 6:31am On May 01, 2016
Things fall apart - the greatest literary work to come out from Nigeria.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Metobime(m): 6:31am On May 01, 2016
Things Fall Apart is the best grin

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Nobody: 6:31am On May 01, 2016
Things fall apart, literature was my favourite subject in schoool, i love literature like mad, i was good in literature, buh in waec i got d7 in literature 4 straight times i took waec 4 times because of literature, i was angry because i know is not my fault, waec should be showing students their answer sheet after marking, buh now i have move on, is part of life, political science doesn't need literature so am going for it, mind u is not my fault, when given assignment in literature back then in school i will be the first person to do and submit it i will also score higher than my class mates

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 6:31am On May 01, 2016
Taduma1:
Gone are those days, best of nollywood then.

Have you read the book before?

The movie was not a Hollywood movie. The crew were whites, they only used a Nigerian cast cos of the rich Igbo culture that pervades every line of the book and could not have been well interpreted by non-Igbo Nigerians.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by MNDY(m): 6:32am On May 01, 2016
I've not read Arrow of God, but Things Fall Apart is one fiction work so perfectly composed that it is globally respected! Only the TV show GAME OF THRONES can stand Things Fall Apart in intelligently created fiction

15 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by henroe2k2(m): 6:33am On May 01, 2016
I give it to 'Things fall apart'

my best proverb in the book is
'Since the bird has learnt to fly without perching, the hunter has learnt to shoot without aiming'

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Eseose9(f): 6:33am On May 01, 2016
Arrow of God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by suleiman419(m): 6:33am On May 01, 2016
Na only thing fall apart I read
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by uduokirika1(m): 6:34am On May 01, 2016
The popularity of Things fall Apart took of the shine of Arrow of God!

Arrow of God to me is a master piecee

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by JoeCutie(m): 6:35am On May 01, 2016
Things Fall Apart!

Internationally acclaimed masterpiece, translated into over 80 international languages and widely rated as the best ever work of the late prodigy, Chinua Achebe, who turned out to be the 21st century 'father' of another young and classy genius, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

That's the book you can read either as a primary school pupil, as a secondary school student, as a tertiary institution student...and still understand and assimilate it. It's a one-in-a-generation masterpiece. So simple but witty. Dope!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Eeroh95(m): 6:37am On May 01, 2016
vb0mb:

sometimes I wonder if people understand questions before giving answers

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by Eeroh95(m): 6:38am On May 01, 2016
apcmustwin:
For things fall apart, like

For arrow of God share.
eyAh sorry nobody liked or shared

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by apcmustwin(f): 6:41am On May 01, 2016
Eeroh95:
eyAh sorry nobody liked or shared
u wait and see. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by zbone(m): 6:42am On May 01, 2016
Arrow of God more engaging as a story for me, things fall apart, great book but a little too abstract or proverbial like someone has mentioned.

3 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by zbone(m): 6:46am On May 01, 2016
Eeroh95:
sometimes I wonder if people understand questions before giving answers
Where is your answer to OP's question? Eh? And you open your big mouth to say he doesn't understand the question asked.

1 Like

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by mysticgal(f): 6:47am On May 01, 2016
What is arrow of the gods, abegi, things fall apart is the bomb, it brings out literally imaginations in you, giving you a tasteful experience. infact things fall apart shot achebe into limelight.

Vote simplicity, sincerity and singularity. Vote Mysticgal for Miss Nairaland 2016
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by mooremoney(m): 6:48am On May 01, 2016
Things fall apart cos it really tell the story and culture of the igbo tribe.
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by izuch(m): 6:48am On May 01, 2016
Things fall apart is a classic, like if you agree and share if you don't
Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by DIKEnaWAR: 6:49am On May 01, 2016
vb0mb:

Anthills of the Savannah? You just reminded me that I have not 'revised' this novel in a long while. I shall fish it out and read again. If my anger with the drunken Police man will allow me read it to the end.

Why does Achebe always seek to destroy his characters? Even Obi Okonkwo (No Longer at Ease), whose grandfather he already destroyed in 'Things Fall Apart' and Odili (A man of the People) were not spared in the end.

Achebe has a way of mocking his characters and exposing their flaws not visible to the 'naked' eye.

7 Likes

Re: Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) by mysticgal(f): 6:50am On May 01, 2016
patrikoolar:
An appreciable knowledge of the socio-political context, the zeitgeist if you may, of the times these classics were dissipated from the grey matter, nay, oblongata of the most revered yet grossly under-rated ethno-African wordsmith of genius classification, is necessary to know that ...

Both are best for the nests they share ...
Chai, you spoketh the English even Patrick ogbhahon or whatever his name is cannot speak grin grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Writers Needed / Êru ti Ife - Ashes Of Love. / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.