Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,357 members, 7,780,971 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:36 AM

Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 (970 Views)

Opinion: Is It Not A Sin For Churches Going Against This Portion Of The Bible? / Muslims And Christians , Pls I Need Some Clarifications (matured Minds Only) / Pls I Need Some Clarifications From Biblical Scholars In The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by lumzybo: 6:39am On May 01, 2016
2 Kings 2:23-25King James Version (KJV)

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

After reading this portion of the bible a few questions ran through my mind

How does Elisha justifies the following;
1. cursing in the name of the Lord?

2. The killing of 42 children (you and I both know he had a hand in it). Knowingfully well the stand of the bible on murder.

Bible scholars over to u.
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by Nobody: 6:52am On May 01, 2016
The verses are quite comprehensive enough.

Where is the "mercy" in the merciful god that killed 42 naive innocent children?

Mayb i'm not seeing sometin i shld see, anybody wanna explain why those kids were murdered by someone who said "thou shall not kill" in one of the chapters of his law book??
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by RealAdewole(m): 7:50am On May 01, 2016
Jadonjack:
The verses are quite comprehensive enough.

Where is the "mercy" in the merciful god that killed 42 naive innocent children?

Mayb i'm not seeing sometin i shld see, anybody wanna explain why those kids were murdered by someone who said "thou shall not kill" in one of the chapters of his law book??
It's not God that killed those lads . Power is a dangerous weapon when it get to wrong hands
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by lumzybo: 8:23am On May 01, 2016
RealAdewole:
It's not God that killed those lads . Power is a dangerous weapon when it get to wrong hands

Good reasoning bro...

Are u saying Elisha used the power wrongly? If YES, a thorough search of the bible dint show where he (elisha) was punished 4 abuse of power, cos after that encouter, Ntin was said about the issue again.

Could this also means he got away with it?

#TroubleDHeart
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by lumzybo: 2:06pm On May 01, 2016
Pastors in the house, abeg make una shed more lyt on this matter. Don't just look and walk away.

I hereby call on the mod abi na supermod. Lalasticlala, culd also help out here too.

Thanks
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by DoctorAlien(m): 5:29pm On May 01, 2016
Compare this with 1 Chron. 13:6-10.

What conclusion do you draw from that? Is GOD a terrible, unforgiving, unmericful Father who is always looking for the slightest opportunity to punish us? Certainly not! He is actually the opposite of these.

Now, concerning 2 Kings 2:23-24, one could argue that the punishment meted out to the children was harsh and inconsiderate, but then, were the children guiltless? No, they weren't. They insulted and degraded a prophet of GOD. It is actually a terrible sin to disrespect one's parents or elders. (See the fith commandment).

Appropriate blame could be apportioned to the parents of the children who did not teach them the way of the LORD and did not raise them up to respect their elders. Certainly, there were other children in the city, apart from the 42, who did not join in mocking the prophet of GOD. Those ones were taught to respect their parents and their elders.

It is worthy of note too that the incident befell the children because Elisha cursed them.
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by DoctorAlien(m): 5:43pm On May 01, 2016
Surely, those 42 children had manifested rude and insolent attitude at home to their parents, but they failed to correct their children. Had the 10 commandments been repeated regularly to those children, they would have known that the 5th commandment forbids disrespect to elders. The children grew hardened in insolence until they had the guts to insult a prophet of GOD. Moreover, if they had been running errands for their parents, they wouldn't have had the time to insult anybody. Jesus did not insult anybody as a child in Nazareth.

Concerning the curse Elisha gave the children:
GOD commanded us to respect and honour our parents and elders because He knows that whatever they pronounce on us if we wrong them will come to pass. Noah cursed his son Ham because he did wrong.

One could argue that the 42 were little children and so did not know what they were doing, but that argument will be effectively answered with the question "Did the whole little children in the city join in insulting the prophet of GOD"?
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by RealAdewole(m): 8:53pm On May 01, 2016
lumzybo:

Good reasoning bro...

Are u saying Elisha used the power wrongly? If YES, a thorough search of the bible dint show where he (elisha) was punished 4 abuse of power, cos after that encouter, Ntin was said about the issue again.

Could this also means he got away with it?

#TroubleDHeart
i dnt knw hw to put this, it's as if God grant some pple autonomy, like wen david conductd d census it ws nt even recorded a single member of his family was afected
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by BetterChurch: 11:54pm On May 01, 2016
lumzybo:

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

2. The killing of 42 children (you and I both know he had a hand in it). Knowingfully well the stand of the bible on murder.

Understanding this is only possible after one understands the spiritual hierarchy which begins with the supreme Sugmad and Its sole representative, The Mahanta The Living ECK Master.

Yahweh the God of Elisha is part of the spiritual hierarchy.

Karma and reincarnation; aspects of the law of Love always ensure each of us meets the result of our actions someday. At the end 'God is not mocked' as everyone carries his own cross as Christ rightly told his followers.
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by lumzybo: 5:08am On May 02, 2016
DoctorAlien:
Compare this with 1 Chron. 13:6-10.

What conclusion do you draw from that? Is GOD a terrible, unforgiving, unmericful Father who is always looking for the slightest opportunity to punish us? Certainly not! He is actually the opposite of these.

Now, concerning 2 Kings 2:23-24, one could argue that the punishment meted out to the children was harsh and inconsiderate, but then, were the children guiltless? No, they weren't. They insulted and degraded a prophet of GOD. It is actually a terrible sin to disrespect one's parents or elders. (See the fith commandment).

Appropriate blame could be apportioned to the parents of the children who did not teach them the way of the LORD and did not raise them up to respect their elders. Certainly, there were other children in the city, apart from the 42, who did not join in mocking the prophet of GOD. Those ones were taught to respect their parents and their elders.

It is worthy of note too that the incident befell the children because Elisha cursed them.

Hmmmn... till 2mrw that Uzzah story terrifies me. He was only trying to help the Ark from fallen. But what did he get, "instant death"

Yeah, the kids were wrong to av mocked God's prophet. Cursing them in the name of the Lord was bad enough (who is powerful enough to wash away the curse placed on a man in God's name.) I guess NOONE. Except He shows mercy.

Well, 1 this is certain comparing now and then, the mercy of God abounds now than before. Cos if not, many wuld av gone!

Finally, I think there is no justification whatsoever, God just needed to show His supremacy through His prophet Elisha.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by lumzybo: 5:15am On May 02, 2016
Thank God that no MoG possesses such power again (None that I know of). "when the essence of a thing is not know, abuse is inevitable". Many MoG wuld av pronounced instant curse/judgement on pple just to show they are in charge.

Thanks to the ever Merciful God.

Special thanks to every1 that contributed. Now I know better.
Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by sonmvayina(m): 8:50pm On Feb 06, 2017
lumzybo:

Re: Pls Help With Some Clarifications On That Portion Of The Bible II Kings 2 23-24 by sonmvayina(m): 8:52pm On Feb 06, 2017
The letter killeth...the spirit giveth life..it is an allegorical story

(1) (Reply)

If You Doing Any Of These, Forget About Heaven ! / When I'm Gone,i Just Want To Rest In Peace,no Hell No Heaven. / Why have Christians decided to overlook this facts and questions, WHY!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.