Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? (16343 Views)

Why Do Catholics Say This / Why Do Catholics "Honor" And "Worship" Mary When Jesus Himself Never Did!!! / Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by ddugeri(m): 2:30pm On May 01, 2016
Do catholics really worship mary??
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by skyhighweb(m): 2:32pm On May 01, 2016
no we just like to get married
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by tolugar: 3:06pm On May 01, 2016
No they Honour Mary.

They always ask for Her intercession in prayers.

Inspired by the event in Cana where via Her intercession water was turned into wine. John 2:1-11.

Ever since she is regarded by faithful Catholics as a Mother of Grace, Queen of Heaven, ...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 01, 2016
Yeah.

The Mary statues are usually carved with the hand this posture↓↓(blessing - which means they expect "her" to bless them)

And the bowing and lighting candles and incense upon her fit. She receives more prayers that even God. Which makes me wonder, do Catholics refer to Jesus at all in their prayers? They don't give his statue the same attention as Mary undecided

(Sorry Catholics)

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by uboma(m): 10:56pm On May 01, 2016
Muafrika2:
Yeah.

The Mary statues are usually carved with the hand this posture↓↓(blessing - which means they expect "her" to bless them)

And the bowing and lighting candles and incense upon her fit. She receives more prayers that even God. Which makes me wonder, do Catholics refer to Jesus at all in their prayers? They don't give his statue the same attention as Mary undecided

(Sorry Catholics)

I concur.
They show more honour to Mary than even the son of God who is Jesus Christ....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 11:46pm On May 01, 2016
tolugar:
No they Honour Mary.

Inspired by the event in Cana where via Her intercession water was turned into wine. John 2:1-11.

Ever since she is regarded by faithful Catholics as a Mother of Grace, Queen of Heaven, ...

The queen of heaven is a false goddess that is worshiped, provoking God to anger.

In Jeremiah 7:18: The children gather wood, the fathers light the fire, and the women knead the dough and make cakes of bread for the Queen of Heaven. They pour out drink offerings to other gods to provoke me to anger.

Question: "Who is the Queen of Heaven?"

Answer: The phrase “the queen of heaven” appears in the Bible twice, both times in the book of Jeremiah. The first incident is in connection with the things the Israelites were doing that provoked the Lord to anger. Entire families were involved in idolatry. The children gathered wood, and the men used it to build altars to worship false gods. The women were engaged in kneading dough and baking cakes of bread for the “Queen of Heaven” (Jeremiah 7:18). This title referred to Ishtar, an Assyrian and Babylonian goddess also called Ashtoreth and Astarte by various other groups. She was thought to be the wife of the false god Baal, also known as Molech. The motivation of women to worship Ashtoreth stemmed from her reputation as a fertility goddess, and, as the bearing of children was greatly desired among women of that era, worship of this “queen of heaven” was rampant among pagan civilizations. Sadly, it became popular among the Israelites as well.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Queen-of-Heaven.html

2 Likes

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by tolugar: 7:00am On May 02, 2016
johnw74:

The queen of heaven is a false goddess that is worshiped, provoking God to anger.

In Jeremiah 7:18: The children gather wood, the fathers light the fire, and the women knead the dough and make cakes of bread for the Queen of Heaven. They pour out drink offerings to other gods to provoke me to anger.

Question: "Who is the Queen of Heaven?"

Answer: The phrase “the queen of heaven” appears in the Bible twice, both times in the book of Jeremiah. The first incident is in connection with the things the Israelites were doing that provoked the Lord to anger. Entire families were involved in idolatry. The children gathered wood, and the men used it to build altars to worship false gods. The women were engaged in kneading dough and baking cakes of bread for the “Queen of Heaven” (Jeremiah 7:18). This title referred to Ishtar, an Assyrian and Babylonian goddess also called Ashtoreth and Astarte by various other groups. She was thought to be the wife of the false god Baal, also known as Molech. The motivation of women to worship Ashtoreth stemmed from her reputation as a fertility goddess, and, as the bearing of children was greatly desired among women of that era, worship of this “queen of heaven” was rampant among pagan civilizations. Sadly, it became popular among the Israelites as well.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Queen-of-Heaven.html

Your case in all is a whole different testament. As such different application.
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 7:34am On May 02, 2016
tolugar:

Your case in all is a whole different testament. As such different application.

@red, I myself don't think it's a good move to give Jesus Christ's Mother, Mary the title of a false goddess.

tolugar:
No they Honour Mary.

1 Like

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 9:32am On May 02, 2016
johnw74:

@red, I myself don't think it's a good move to give Jesus Christ's Mother, Mary the title of a false goddess.

The title of “king of kings” is also ascribed to
Nebuchadnezzar by Ezekiel (Ezekiel 26:7)

Do you believe it is good move to give the title of of such king to Jesus?

Its just a title.
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 12:07am On May 03, 2016
cynosure489:

The title of “king of kings” is also ascribed to
Nebuchadnezzar by Ezekiel (Ezekiel 26:7)

Do you believe it is good move to give the title of of such king to Jesus?

Yes, because it is written in the Bible
Mary was not called the queen of heaven in the Bible

cynosure489:
Its just a title.

of a false goddess

3 Likes

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 6:53am On May 03, 2016
johnw74:

Yes, because it is written in the Bible
Mary was not called the queen of heaven in the Bible

of a false goddess
Are u arguing thats it is not written or because it has been used for another?

and its ok to call king nebu king of kings because it is written in the bible?

go and ask people who name thier children "jesus" today not to do so because christ has already been called by that name.

Very soon your likes would search for written words in the bible to justify 3D-printing food from the internet.

mtchwwwww...
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by Nobody: 7:13am On May 03, 2016
It's a well established fact that Roman Catholics worship Mary. When Pope John Paul II survived his first assassination attempt, did you know who he thought that saved him? Yep, Mary.

3 Likes

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 12:37am On May 04, 2016
cynosure489:

Are u arguing thats it is not written or because it has been used for another?

and its ok to call king nebu king of kings because it is written in the bible?

go and ask people who name thier children "jesus" today not to do so because christ has already been called by that name.

Very soon your likes would search for written words in the bible to justify 3D-printing food from the internet.

mtchwwwww...

You like to call Mary after a false goddess
ok, continue

2 Likes

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by DoctorAlien(m): 1:14am On May 04, 2016
tolugar:
No they Honour Mary.

I weep at the level of corruption and pollution Christianity is wallowing in. The beautiful religion which Christ committed to His disciples in its most innocent and purest form has been tainted and marred beyond recognition by Satan.

First of all, honor does not belong to Mary: it belongs to GOD alone.(Rev. 4:11)

Jesus never asked us to pray by any name other than His, neither did He ask us to beg others to intercede for us. What! Do you realise that you reject Christ as your intercessor with GOD when you choose Mary?(1Jn 2:1)

By the way, Mary was not the reason why Jesus turned water into wine at Cana. To suggest that Mary dictated to Christ when to work miracles is a terrible fallacy.

5 Likes

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by uboma(m): 4:55am On May 04, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I weep at the level of corruption and pollution Christianity is wallowing in. The beautiful religion which Christ committed to His disciples in its most innocent and purest form has been tainted and marred beyond recognition by Satan.

First of all, honor does not belong to Mary: it belongs to GOD alone.(Rev. 4:11)

Jesus never asked us to pray by any name other than His, neither did He ask us to beg others to intercede for us. What! Do you realise that you reject Christ as your intercessor with GOD when you choose Mary?(1Jn 2:1)

By the way, Mary was not the reason why Jesus turned water into wine at Cana. To suggest that Mary dictated to Christ when to work miracles is a terrible fallacy.

Permit me to quote you for references sake.
You are so on point.
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 6:36am On May 04, 2016
johnw74:

You like to call Mary after a false goddess
ok, continue

If the false goddess is the queen of your heaven, then you are right to have issues with catholics giving mary that title -- a title catholics deduce from Rev 12.

1 And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon was under her feet, and on her head was a crown of twelve stars.
2 And being with child, she cried out while giving birth, and she was suffering in order to give birth.

5 And she brought forth a male child, who was soon to rule all the nations with an iron rod. And her son was taken up to God and to his throne.
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by DoctorAlien(m): 7:51am On May 04, 2016
cynosure489:

If the false goddess is the queen of your heaven, then you are right to have issues with catholics giving mary that title -- a title catholics deduce from Rev 12.

1 And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon was under her feet, and on her head was a crown of twelve stars.
2 And being with child, she cried out while giving birth, and she was suffering in order to give birth.

5 And she brought forth a male child, who was soon to rule all the nations with an iron rod. And her son was taken up to God and to his throne.

LOL. You quoted only the verse you think supports your lie. Why didn't you quote the whole of Rev. 12?

Questions - If Rev. 12 is talking about Mary:

Did Mary have the sun as her cloth and the moon under her feet?

Was Mary fed in the wilderness for 1260 days?

Did any dragon persecute Mary?

Who are the remnants of Mary who the dragon went to persecute?
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 8:06am On May 04, 2016
cynosure489:

There is no queen of heaven mentioned in those verses
and many will tell you that the woman in revelation 12 isn't Mary but Israel, who also gave birth to the man child
the time is the end times, read the chapter and refrences

the chapter is talking of a time that is still future

the crown of twelve stars represent Israel, the twelve tribes, the same as the twelve gates of the New Jerusalem represent Israel

Rev_21:12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

also the twelve angels are twelve stars
read early chapters of revelation and see where stars represent angels
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 4:43pm On May 04, 2016
johnw74:

There is no queen of heaven mentioned in those verses
and many will tell you that the woman in revelation 12 isn't Mary but Israel, who also gave birth to the man child
the time is the end times, read the chapter and refrences

the chapter is talking of a time that is still future

the crown of twelve stars represent Israel, the twelve tribes, the same as the twelve gates of the New Jerusalem represent Israel

Rev_21:12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

also the twelve angels are twelve stars
read early chapters of revelation and see where stars represent angels
I dont have the time to go into much debate if not i would justify why the catholics titled mary queen of heaven. The literal intepretation of Rev 12 would mean the woman that gave birth to the child to rule the world is Mary however you wana take it.

what i asked that i believe you dont have an answer for is "is the title of queen of heaven actually OK for the false goddess?" -- if yes, then i rest my case.
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 4:53pm On May 04, 2016
DoctorAlien:

LOL. You quoted only the verse you think supports your lie. Why didn't you quote the whole of Rev. 12?

Questions - If Rev. 12 is talking about Mary:

Did Mary have the sun as her cloth and the moon under her feet?

Was Mary fed in the wilderness for 1260 days?

Did any dragon persecute Mary?

Who are the remnants of Mary who the dragon went to persecute?

lol..i cant even answer you.. All the Words in revelations have come to pass and we experienced them?

The fight between angel micheal and the devil..lol -- and the many revelations of the apocalypse.

The circus is recruiting abeg.
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by DoctorAlien(m): 7:37pm On May 04, 2016
cynosure489:

lol..i cant even answer you.. All the Words in revelations have come to pass and we experienced them?

The fight between angel micheal and the devil..lol -- and the many revelations of the apocalypse.

The circus is recruiting abeg.

Answer the questions if Rev. 12 was talking about Mary.
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 8:43pm On May 04, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Answer the questions if Rev. 12 was talking about Mary.
Was it talking about the false goddess that's queen of your own heaven?
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:10pm On May 04, 2016
cynosure489:

Was it talking about the false goddess that's queen of your own heaven?

I never mentioned Queen of Heaven. We know that the Heaven where GOD lives does not have a queen. The Queen of Heaven is a pagan goddess, anyway.

Do you know who Rev. 12 was talking about?
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 12:05am On May 05, 2016
cynosure489:

I dont have the time to go into much debate if not i would justify why the catholics titled mary queen of heaven. The literal intepretation of Rev 12 would mean the woman that gave birth to the child to rule the world is Mary however you wana take it.

what i asked that i believe you dont have an answer for is "is the title of queen of heaven actually OK for the false goddess?" -- if yes, then i rest my case.

duh, no, she is not actually queen of heaven,
she is a false goddess with a false title smiley
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 6:30am On May 05, 2016
johnw74:

Do you have to shoot yourself on the foot? I thought you said catholics gave Mary a title meant for the false goddess? Now it is no longer a title for the goddess? LoL

See what you said earlier

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 1:12am On May 06, 2016
cynosure489:

Do you have to shoot yourself on the foot? I thought you said catholics gave Mary a title meant for the false goddess? Now it is no longer a title for the goddess? LoL

See what you said earlier

oh boy, dumb gets dumber

It's true, the queen of heaven is not actually the queen of heaven
that's just what this false goddess is called

catholics do give Mary the title of a false goddess

don't go handling any guns will you

johnw74:

Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 6:52am On May 06, 2016
johnw74:

oh boy, dumb gets dumber

It's true, the queen of heaven is not actually the queen of heaven
that's just what this false goddess is called

catholics do give Mary the title of a false goddess

don't go handling any guns will you

Na wa.. I thought you said it was a false title for a false goddess after saying it was a title for a false goddess. Lol..At first it was her titlel, later it became a false title. Kontinu!

You: "The queen of heaven title is for a false goddess and catholics give same title to mary"

Me: King Nebu was also called king of kings, a title for Jesus.

You: Yes, because it is in the bible.

Me: What stops catholics for using the title because it has been used for a false goddess?

You: Because it is not written in the bible

Me: Funny.. But again the literal intepretation of Rev 12, a queen with a crown of 12 stars is Mary.

is this last statement the issue you have? I believe it is. The bible would have to write every statement verbatim because you want to hide from the truth?

im done abeg
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 11:43pm On May 06, 2016
cynosure489:

Na wa.. I thought you said it was a false title for a false goddess after saying it was a title for a false goddess. Lol..At first it was her titlel, later it became a false title. Kontinu!

You: "The queen of heaven title is for a false goddess and catholics give same title to mary"

Me: King Nebu was also called king of kings, a title for Jesus.

You: Yes, because it is in the bible.

Me: What stops catholics for using the title because it has been used for a false goddess?

You: Because it is not written in the bible

Me: Funny.. But again the literal intepretation of Rev 12, a queen with a crown of 12 stars is Mary.

is this last statement the issue you have? I believe it is. The bible would have to write every statement verbatim because you want to hide from the truth?

im done abeg

duh, the woman with the crown of 12 stars is israel, and
the fact is you call Mary the queen of heaven, a title that belongs to a false prophetess,
not to Mary, and not to israel duh smiley
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 5:54am On May 07, 2016
johnw74:

duh, the woman with the crown of 12 stars is israel, and
the fact is you call Mary the queen of heaven, a title that belongs to a false prophetess,
not to Mary, and not to israel duh smiley

Catholics will never force thier teachings on you and your tiny church. Na una dey carry catholic matter for head while they keep growing.
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 7:51am On May 07, 2016
cynosure489:

Catholics will never force thier teachings on you and your tiny church. Na una dey carry catholic matter for head while they keep growing.

@bold, You was doing a pretty good job trying
but rc's couldn't force their teachings on me, I know better than to call Mary, "queen of heaven"
which is a title belonging to a false prophetess
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by cynosure489: 9:26am On May 07, 2016
johnw74:

@bold, You was doing a pretty good job trying
but rc's couldn't force their teachings on me, I know better than to call Mary, "queen of heaven"
which is a title belonging to a false prophetess

Ok we have heard.

But why are you so pained by catholic teaching? -- The pope doesnt know if you or ur kiosk of a church exist.

By the way, tells us your church -- the truthful church..lol
Re: Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? by johnw74: 12:47pm On May 07, 2016
cynosure489:

Ok we have heard.

But why are you so pained by catholic teaching? -- The pope doesnt know if you or ur kiosk of a church exist.

By the way, tells us your church -- the truthful church..lol

@bold, herray, you got something right

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Actor Robert Powell: Stop Worshipping Me, I Am Not The Real Jesus / Cross River Government Bans Religious Gathering Of More Than 5 People / Is It A Sin For A Christian To Play Hip-hop Or Rock Songs Besides Gospel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.