Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,571 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD (23180 Views)

JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education / Rush Now For TNRI Scholarship 2017 For Secondary School Leavers And Undergraduat / Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For 2016/17 TNRI Scholarship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by clevadani: 8:52pm On May 02, 2016
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by uthfaith(m): 8:52pm On May 02, 2016
I won't. All I will just say is u pay money on unnecessary things in polytechnics
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Chuksemi(m): 8:55pm On May 02, 2016
Our tetiary institutions are over rated. Poly or Not if you are intelligent and learnt anything while in school. Getting a good job isn't a problem. F*ck stereotypes.
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Abdul4trust1(m): 8:59pm On May 02, 2016
Mixty:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/secondary-school-leavers-shun-admission-polytechnics/

come To Auchi Poly With Four Credit And See If The Result Will Not Be Destroy For You.
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by romance247(m): 9:03pm On May 02, 2016
bro4u:
Millions are graduating from universities with Bsc certificates making the labour market very competitive, you go cum go stand with your ND/HND certificate, lol even faith no go help you...
you have no idea how it looks like . I just wish you never commented to show your low level of awareness of happenings

2 Likes

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Spanner4(m): 9:09pm On May 02, 2016
U can attain success whether u attend Uni or Poly
No Inferiority complex here
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by maduinfo: 9:15pm On May 02, 2016
shocked
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by maduinfo: 9:15pm On May 02, 2016
glossy6:
Poly gini? Not for my kids
madam, Nigeria needs poly products.from experience, they are preferred by multinationals.my advice is, whoever wants poly education should go for Engineering Technology.

1 Like

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Ephemmm: 9:15pm On May 02, 2016
collitexnaira:
Leave trash for Lawman

When them seek admission at uni for 3 years without being admitted, no body go advise them to try poly

Thrash.... I stand to be corrected! Aba-made 4 or 5 credits in WAEC is not a yardstick for determining how brilliant a student is in considering the availability of numerous 'miracle centre' in modern Nigeria.

For your information, my uncle studies linguistic in University without having Credit in English.

In the same vein, my immediate younger brother seeked admission into one of Nigerian polytechnics without success: he didn't meet the cut off, but to God be the glory, he applied for linguistic at OAU, and he write his final paper few months ago.

I have two to three friends who are graduates of University of Ibadan today without writing JAMB from the onset: the requirement at their satellite campus as at then was five credits in NECO; just paid their fees and you are good to go. Through this, the dullest among the dullards in my class while in secondary school is now a mathematician.

I have a friend then who opted for Administrative course in polytechnic due to his inability to have strong financial backing even after he has been admitted to study law in University.

So, be assured that everybody is in different shoes and sizes: don't judge people based on their school or courses because you don't know how they got there.

Speaking from experience, no matter what may be the course you study in Nigerian Universities, there are polytechnic students out there that may perform/are better than you in all ramifications. That is why employer of labour who knows his worth put every candidates into test irrespective of the school one attends.

Last month was the first time I heard about a Muslim University in Ede, Osun state. Going by all these regular rating, I don't think it will be among the best 500 if public opinion is seeked. Guess what! A graduate of Economy outshines every other candidates invited for test in my company including the ones from OAU, UI, UNILAG, COVENANT etc which everybody believes are topmost Nigeria Universities.

Get your fact right.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by kunzo: 9:17pm On May 02, 2016
tosyne2much:
Whether you give 1000 reasons why university is rated above polytechnic, it's never an excuse for not attaining heights in life..

Hardwork and your mindset is the bedrock of success and not HND or Bsc... I have never regretted attending a polytechnic because I've got goals, dreams and visions in life.. When you don't have a map for your life people who aren't even worth talking to you will start giving you advice on how to live your life..

Nothing is as important as making money in life.. Let me tell you something, a rich illiterate is more respected than a broke PhD holder.. That's why Dangote is much more respected than Prof Wole Soyinka anytime any day.

We are in a country where the future of the youths lies in the hands of the ministers...

Person wey buy clothes from boutique go discriminate against person wey wear okrika;

Person we go OAU go claim superiority over person wey go OOU;

Person wey dey use Toyota Camry go claim superiority over person wey dey use Peujout 504;

Person wey dey use Bold5 go discriminate person wey dey go Asha 501 ... Whaaaaat a country !!!!

You have said it all.
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 02, 2016
So many kids on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by MrSmith007: 9:29pm On May 02, 2016
I'm a polytechnic graduate.. and i've seen countless dull B.sc holders dat cant even stand my worth. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Opeade939(f): 9:36pm On May 02, 2016
Hypocrites everywhere.... Being a university or polytechnic graduate doesn't make you successful. If polytechnics are not good enough,then why was it set up in the first place
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by deliveryboy: 9:43pm On May 02, 2016
LuckyLadolce:
On point. But let me correct vanguard as regard
CGPA 5.0 against 4.0. This is how it works... In some polytechnics like the one i graduated from, to get an A you need 75% over 100, while in uni, with 70 you have your A. This factor shld be considered if you have to compare CGPA between polytechnics and universities. I stand to be corrected.

Bro, I'm an HND holder, I've got a job many university graduates are craving for.. What about that? You can't force one thing in life and that's SUCCESS!

Poly guys always say this, they always compare themselves with unemployed university grads, It's really not about YOU, it's about the majority. Having seen this easily-contented mindset of most polytechnic guys, it goes to show most of them don't have great aspiration, hence, why you don't see them in high places.

1 Like

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by excess4luv: 9:49pm On May 02, 2016
From observations mainly lowlife Bsc holders dwell much on this dichotomy, an Engineering poly graduate will beat most university counterpart at field work.
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by laoma15(m): 9:50pm On May 02, 2016
This is one sensitive area the government have failed to address all this while. University graduates versus Polytechnic graduates. While there has been a good number of University graduates that has graduated and gone ahead to do very well in life, the same could also be said about many Polytechnic graduates. It all goes down to individual approach to life and how hungry they are about their success. No school in the world will give you what you don't already have in you. They can only build on the foundation you already have from your primary schools and secondary schools.

In my own case for instance, I got an admission into University of Ibadan to study Geography while Federal Polytechnic Bida offered me an admission to study Accounting at the same time (My very first admission examination I will ever wrote). After much consultation, I decided to go into the Polytechnic to study accounting. So, it was a choice of course that drove me into polytechnic rather than my inability to pass the JAMB examination.

I graduated from the Polytechnic after five years successfully with upper credit. I got a permanent job during my service year and immediately enrolled for my ICAN examination which I passed with distinction (first attempt basis all though). I never repeated a paper. I will later obtain my MBA degree from Lagos State University.

I have worked in an International NGO, an Oil company and the two leading Telecom companies in Nigeria all based on merit and not through any connection.

I later migrated to the United State where I obtained my Ph.D degree and run my own Consulting firm.

I'm sharing my personal story to encourage someone out there who is thinking that he or she can't make it because of Polytechnic qualification. It is all about your belief system. I never experienced any discrimination through out my career years because of my polytechnic qualification.

Make use of whatever is available to you now and cross over along the line. Don't waste your productive years sitting at home waiting for University admission. Belief in yourself and work hard. You can be whatever you want in life. Polytechnic or University.

Having said all these, I will encourage the government of the day to find a lasting solution to this problem. Some good polytechnics should be upgraded to University of Technology level while the under-performing ones should be scraped. Let us have one universally recognized institution of learning. This way, our upcoming ones future will no longer be mortgaged.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 02, 2016
That's Nigerian Mentality for you or should I call it African Mentality.

It is well oh.
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by deliveryboy: 9:55pm On May 02, 2016
maduinfo:
madam, Nigeria needs poly products.from experience, they are preferred by multinationals.my advice is, whoever wants poly education should go for Engineering Technology.

That's not true, I work in a multinational corporation, the discrimination is stronger here, polytechnic grads are not allowed to grow into management positions, they will remain in the field. Also, their path through the ranks is longer with more levels to attain before they become field general, this can take as many years (ten or more) while university graduates only need three years before they can break off the field and take up management positions in the office (if they wish).
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by iswallker(m): 9:58pm On May 02, 2016
tosyne2much:
Whether you give 1000 reasons why university is rated above polytechnic, it's never an excuse for not attaining heights in life..

Hardwork and your mindset is the bedrock of success and not HND or Bsc... In fact, hunger will be your surname if you think Bsc is an automatic passport to getting rich... I have never regretted attending a polytechnic because I've got goals, dreams and visions in life.. When you don't have a map for your life people who aren't even worth talking to you will start giving you advice on how to live your life, hence, you start getting worked up over irrelevant topics like this.

Nothing is as important as making money in life.. Let me tell you something, a rich illiterate is more respected than a broke PhD holder.. That's why Dangote is much more respected than Prof Wole Soyinka anytime any day.

We are in a country where the future of the youths lies in the hands of the ministers...

Person wey buy clothes from boutique go discriminate against person wey wear okrika;

Person we go OAU go claim superiority over person wey go OOU;

Person wey dey use Toyota Camry go claim superiority over person wey dey use Peujout 504;

Person wey dey use Bold5 go discriminate person wey dey go Asha 501 ... Whaaaaat a country !!!!

Was enjoying your writeup till you goofed by saying dangote is more respected than someone who won a Nobel laureth prize..... sad

1 Like

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Horlawoomey(m): 10:03pm On May 02, 2016
bro4u:
Millions are graduating from universities with Bsc certificates making the labour market very competitive, you go cum go stand with your ND/HND certificate, lol even faith no go help you...

Lol, it seems you can't see past your nose. In Nigeria of today, employers of labour which happen to be mainly private organisations are more concern about what value you can offer than your certificate. I am a Polytechnic graduate and recently I was chosen over six other university graduates in a job interview, thanks to my crude practical knowledge during my SIWES and Industrial Training days.

2 Likes

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by joey150(m): 10:20pm On May 02, 2016
Ephemmm:

I have two to three friends who are graduates of University of Ibadan today without writing JAMB from the onset: the requirement at their satellite campus as at then was five credits in NECO; just paid their fees and you are good to go. Through this, the dullest among the dullards in my class while in secondary school is now a mathematician.

Get your fact right.
hahah this part got me...dullest amomg the dullards...hmmm..mathematicians really?? Hahahah... Ohh lord!
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by GloriaNinja(f): 10:22pm On May 02, 2016
No matter the kind of school one attends, it doesn't matter, what matters is one's destiny, there are even polytechnic graduates that have the kind of job a university graduate will clamour for, there are zillion of polytechnic students who are even better than the so-called university graduates, Nigeria is always discriminating and incriminating.
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by hotspec(m): 10:24pm On May 02, 2016
University or poly? Im less concerned. MINE IS TO MAKE MONEY!
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by tosyne2much(m): 10:29pm On May 02, 2016
iswallker:

Was enjoying your writeup till you goofed by saying dangote is more respected than someone who won a Nobel laureth prize..... sad
Yes Dangote is much more respected that Prof Wole Soyinka... Who Nobel Laureth don help? How has that contributed to the growth of the nation financially? His Laureth nobel is more of great benefit to him not me

We dey talk about people who control the world with money, u dey mention Wole Soyinka because he's a nobel... Mind you, Dangote is the 23rd richest man in the world if I'm not mistaken

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by rosieflower2(f): 10:31pm On May 02, 2016
laoma15:
This is one sensitive area the government have failed to address all this while. University graduates versus Polytechnic graduates. While there has been a good number of University graduates that has graduated and gone ahead to do very well in life, the same could also be said about many Polytechnic graduates. It all goes down to individual approach to life and how hungry they are about their success. No school in the world will give you what you don't already have in you. They can only build on the foundation you already have from your primary schools and secondary schools.

In my own case for instance, I got an admission into University of Ibadan to study Geography while Federal Polytechnic Bida offered me an admission to study Accounting at the same time (My very first admission examination I will ever wrote). After much consultation, I decided to go into the Polytechnic to study accounting. So, it was a choice of course that drove me into polytechnic rather than my inability to pass the JAMB examination.

I graduated from the Polytechnic after five years successfully with upper credit. I got a permanent job during my service year and immediately enrolled for my ICAN examination which I passed with distinction (first attempt basis all though). I never repeated a paper. I will later obtain my MBA degree from Lagos State University.

I have worked in an International NGO, an Oil company and the two leading Telecom companies in Nigeria all based on merit and not through any connection.

I later migrated to the United State where I obtained my Ph.D degree and run my own Consulting firm.

I'm sharing my personal story to encourage someone out there who is thinking that he or she can't make it because of Polytechnic qualification. It is all about your belief system. I never experienced any discrimination through out my career years because of my polytechnic qualification.

Make use of whatever is available to you now and cross over along the line. Don't waste your productive years sitting at home waiting for University admission. Belief in yourself and work hard. You can be whatever you want in life. Polytechnic or University.

Having said all these, I will encourage the government of the day to find a lasting solution to this problem. Some good polytechnics should be upgraded to University of Technology level while the under-performing ones should be scraped. Let us have one universally recognized institution of learning. This way, our upcoming ones future will no longer be mortgaged.
Greatest Napas! I rep fpb also

2 Likes

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by stubbornman(m): 10:42pm On May 02, 2016
I am a poly graduate and overtime I have noticed that the so-called university candidates suffering from self esteem and inferiority complex will always love to compare their silly selves with the poly students...
enough reason the country will not grow, because in the labour market the Uni graduates see themselves as gods over the ever fearless poly graduates in so doing they miss out on the fact that the world is not interested in the paper in your hands but rather in what you've got to offer.....I want our graduates to succeed but we must first of all work in unison and respect ourselves....
My name is sturbbornman
and I just wanna share common sense
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by stubbornman(m): 10:44pm On May 02, 2016
laoma15:

thank you Sir....I pray to attain greater heights like you
Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 02, 2016
tosyne2much:
Yes Dangote is much more respected that Prof Wole Soyinka... Who Nobel Laureth don help? How has that contributed to the growth of the nation? His Laureth nobel is only for his own benefit not mine

We dey talk about people who are the moves of the world, u dey mention Wole Soyinka... Mind you, Dangote is the 23rd richest man in the world if I'm not mistaken
Somewhere in your subconscious you were able to convince yourself that Wole Soyinka isn't recognised internationally @ moving the world. It's okay to defend your polytechnic, but don't drag Wole Soyinka into such facile and preposterous comparison.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by hotspec(m): 11:05pm On May 02, 2016
ademusiwa11:
[size=28pt]
You make the following universities

Adeyemi college of Education (military University for children of the millitary)
Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna make it a campus of Ahmadu bello university
Yaba College of Technology, Yaba, Lagos a campus of University of Lagos.
1. Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic, Unwana-Afikpo, Ebonyi State.
2. Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi Edo State (police University for children of the police)
3. Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti.(military University for children of the millitary)
4. Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, Bauchi. (police University for children of the police)
5. Federal Polytechnic, Bida, Niger State. make it a campus of FUTMinna
6. Federal Polytechnic, Damaturu, Yobe State. (military University for children of the millitary)
7. Federal Polytechnic, Ede, Osun State. ( University for children of the civil service )
8. Federal Polytechnic, Idah, Kogi State.(police University for children of the police)
9. Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State. (police University for children of the police)
10. Federal Polytechnic, Kaura Namoda, Zamfara State. (military University for children of the millitary)
11. Federal Polytechnic, Mubi, Adamawa State. make it a campus of Federal university yola
12. Federal Polytechnic, Nasarawa, Nassarawa. make it a campus of federal university in the state
13. Federal Polytechnic, Nekede-Owerri, Imo State.make it a campus of federal university FUTO
14. Federal Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State. (University for children of the custom officers/FRSC etc)
15. Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra State. (military University for children of the millitary)
16. Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic, Kazaure, Jigawa State. make it a campus of federal university in the state
18. Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, B/Kebbi, Kebbi State. make it a campus of federal university in the state
20. Federal Polytechnic, Bali, Taraba State make it a campus of federal university in the state
21. Federal Polytechnic, Ekowe, Bayelsa State. make it a campus of federal university in the state[/size]

What is this one saying? RECEIVE COMMON SENSE and grace to use it!

2 Likes

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Nobody: 11:10pm On May 02, 2016
tosyne2much:
Yes Dangote is much more respected that Prof Wole Soyinka... Who Nobel Laureth don help? How has that contributed to the growth of the nation? His Laureth nobel is only for his own benefit not mine

We dey talk about people who are the moves of the world, u dey mention Wole Soyinka... Mind you, Dangote is the 23rd richest man in the world if I'm not mistaken
No talk this kain thing for public o. You're talking about someone who has an express right to provide new words for the dictionary any day, any time!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Secondary School Leavers Shun Polytechnics -VANGUARD by Emeskhalifa(m): 11:24pm On May 02, 2016
bro4u:

grin grin grin i don laff so tey wan fall....
kai bro u weak'ed oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OOU Produces Best Medical Student In Nigeria / Cornelius Adewale Wins The Bullitt Foundation Environmental Prize / Herbert Macaulay Library Has Been Renovated And Commissioned For Use

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.