Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo (17354 Views)

"Buhari Should Retire" - Cardinal Onaiyekan / Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere / We Will Christianize Nigeria If Muslims Islamise the Country- Cardinal Onaiyekan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Ezyp(m): 7:54pm On May 02, 2016
The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja Diocese, John Cardinal Onaiyekan, was attacked by gunmen along the Benin-Ekpoma road in Edo State, Daily Trust on Sunday gathered.
The incident took place while the Cardinal was returning from Benin, where he attended the 10-years anniversary of the enthronement of the bishop, Augustine Akubueze.

Speaking, the driver to Onaiyekan, who simply identified himself as Segun, said, the attack occurred along the Benin-Ekpoma road close to Ehor at about 5.00pm last Friday.
He said: “We left Benin for Uromi and at about 5.00pm on the fateful day, I think very close to Ehor, I saw a big pothole and decided to slow down the vehicle. I would have passed the spot with speed but because the cardinal was sleeping, I decided to slow down the vehicle so that he won’t wake up. Suddenly, three men came out of the palm tree plantation by the road side and started shooting at the vehicle. I looked ahead of me and saw that two of them were firing from a distance at the vehicle and I looked behind me; another one was firing at the vehicle from behind so I decided to use reverse gear. Drivers of the other vehicles who saw me coming with reverse started clearing off the road and when I got to a safe distance I decided to stop and people started running towards us to see what had happened. It was then we realised that the bullets shattered the left passenger window glass and made huge holes on the panel of the door. We just thank God that nothing happened to the cardinal or any of us in the vehicle”.
Efforts to reach the Cardinal for comments on the issue proved abortive, but the Catholic Archbishop of Benin City, Dr. Augustine Akubueze and the Catholic Bishop of Uromi Diocese, Dr. Donatus Ogun, confirmed the incident.
They lamented the attack and called on President Muhammadu Buhari to tackle what they called growing attacks by hoodlums in Edo State.
“We thank God that Cardinal Onaiyekan survived the attacks by some criminal elements last week on the Benin-Ekpoma road. If something had happened to him, what would have been the story? We thank God nothing happened and we are using this opportunity to appeal to the president to provide adequate security to the people of Edo State,” Akubueze said.
The catholic archbishop stressed that the responsibility of a government is to secure its people.
“What we are asking for is not too much. If there is no security of lives and property, no investment or meaningful economic development can take place in the state and the nation at large. We need security and we are demanding that from our government,” he said.
Bishop Ogun, on his part, said “what would have happened if the gunmen had succeeded? It would have been a sad development, considering that the Cardinal was coming to attend the 10th anniversary of the creation of Uromi Diocese. We thank God he came out unhurt. We need adequate security to protect the lives and property of residents of the state. We cannot continue to live in fear in our own land because of the activities of these criminals”.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/gunmen-attack-onaiyekan-in-edo/144774.html

2 Shares

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Modsenemy(f): 8:05pm On May 02, 2016
Let's go to FP and show people wat is happening in Edo after the d death of their oba

Lalasticlala ,com and drive us

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Babacele: 8:29pm On May 02, 2016
all these sponsored attacks to make this administration look incompetent shall be defeated. We won't give in to terrorists but defeat them..
God bless Nigeria.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by ikarm17: 8:39pm On May 02, 2016
Na Edo state nau
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by shamecurls(m): 8:41pm On May 02, 2016
[size=15pt]
Babacele:
all these sponsored attacks to make this administration look incompetent shall be defeated. We won't give in to terrorists but defeat them..
God bless Nigeria.
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by otitokoroleti: 8:41pm On May 02, 2016
Shit! WTF?
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by watered(m): 8:42pm On May 02, 2016
Hmmm!
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by clevadani: 8:42pm On May 02, 2016
Our security agencies need to wake up fast.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by okosodo: 8:42pm On May 02, 2016
Babacele:
God bless Nigeria.
Stop taking Weed

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Pidggin(f): 8:42pm On May 02, 2016
Padre? Na only people wey dey craze go try dis nonsense
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by nosypat(m): 8:43pm On May 02, 2016
Hmm.
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Efikman(m): 8:43pm On May 02, 2016
Fulani gunmen at work.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by ChukwuIbrahim: 8:43pm On May 02, 2016
Babacele:
God bless Nigeria.
Amen oo!

it's PDP ppl at work angry
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by GWMI(m): 8:44pm On May 02, 2016
All i know is that APC is associated with troubles.For all those APC supporters from the south west running up and down to support injustice, you should be ashame of yourself at least you can do better in advocating for good governance other than this chalrade called APC FG.I thought the best brains and right activst are in the West but i was wrong Buhari's presidency have expose how hypocritic and deceitful many southwesterns are.My advice for you is that you should change if not for your fellow southerns at least for the good character your fore fathers are known for.Thanks anyway.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by kissval1388: 8:44pm On May 02, 2016
sister, stop editing your pictures! What If you get missing? How do you expect us to find you when you look like Beyonce on BBM, Kim Kadarshin on Facebook and Taribo West's or Taye Taiwo' in real life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by richidinho(m): 8:45pm On May 02, 2016
Osho @ it again
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Qmerit(m): 8:45pm On May 02, 2016
ikarm17:
Na Edo state nau

What do you mean with this ehen!!??
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by angelo5uk(m): 8:45pm On May 02, 2016
Buhari body odor self wink wink

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by hucienda: 8:46pm On May 02, 2016
Cardinals... Princes of The Catholic Church.

Dominic Cardinal Ekandem.

Francis Cardinal Arinze.

Anthony Cardinal Okogie.

John Cardinal Onaiyekan.

9 Likes

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 02, 2016
Babacele:
God bless Nigeria.
like seriously undecided

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by ajoskele(m): 8:46pm On May 02, 2016
Efritin na Buhari sha!
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by ritababe(f): 8:46pm On May 02, 2016
ikarm17:
Na Edo state nau
and so?

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by ajoskele(m): 8:47pm On May 02, 2016
Angelberry:
like seriously undecided
Yeah. Until the police confirms it.
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by bebe2(f): 8:48pm On May 02, 2016
grin grin

naija na wild wild west oo

everywhere na assasination, gun men attack, shooting etc
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by ajoskele(m): 8:48pm On May 02, 2016
Pinshures of Segun, the damaged vehicle, the sleeping cardinal and the people rushing to them or I sue the OP.
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by ritababe(f): 8:48pm On May 02, 2016
Modsenemy:
Let's go to FP and show people wat is happening in Edo after the d death of their oba

Lalasticlala ,com and drive us

what are you trying to say? and for your information is Oba of Benin not Edo

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by brunofarad(m): 8:49pm On May 02, 2016
Action film
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 02, 2016
ajoskele:
Yeah. Until the police confirms it.
Oh, I get what you saying now grin
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by cytellProperty: 8:51pm On May 02, 2016
Ezyp:
The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja Diocese, John Cardinal Onaiyekan, was attacked by gunmen along the Benin-Ekpoma road in Edo State, Daily Trust on Sunday gathered.
The incident took place while the Cardinal was returning from Benin, where he attended the 10-years anniversary of the enthronement of the bishop, Augustine Akubueze.

Speaking, the driver to Onaiyekan, who simply identified himself as Segun, said, the attack occurred along the Benin-Ekpoma road close to Ehor at about 5.00pm last Friday.
He said: “We left Benin for Uromi and at about 5.00pm on the fateful day, I think very close to Ehor, I saw a big pothole and decided to slow down the vehicle. I would have passed the spot with speed but because the cardinal was sleeping, I decided to slow down the vehicle so that he won’t wake up. Suddenly, three men came out of the palm tree plantation by the road side and started shooting at the vehicle. I looked ahead of me and saw that two of them were firing from a distance at the vehicle and I looked behind me; another one was firing at the vehicle from behind so I decided to use reverse gear. Drivers of the other vehicles who saw me coming with reverse started clearing off the road and when I got to a safe distance I decided to stop and people started running towards us to see what had happened. It was then we realised that the bullets shattered the left passenger window glass and made huge holes on the panel of the door. We just thank God that nothing happened to the cardinal or any of us in the vehicle”.
Efforts to reach the Cardinal for comments on the issue proved abortive, but the Catholic Archbishop of Benin City, Dr. Augustine Akubueze and the Catholic Bishop of Uromi Diocese, Dr. Donatus Ogun, confirmed the incident.
They lamented the attack and called on President Muhammadu Buhari to tackle what they called growing attacks by hoodlums in Edo State.
“We thank God that Cardinal Onaiyekan survived the attacks by some criminal elements last week on the Benin-Ekpoma road. If something had happened to him, what would have been the story? We thank God nothing happened and we are using this opportunity to appeal to the president to provide adequate security to the people of Edo State,” Akubueze said.
The catholic archbishop stressed that the responsibility of a government is to secure its people.
“What we are asking for is not too much. If there is no security of lives and property, no investment or meaningful economic development can take place in the state and the nation at large. We need security and we are demanding that from our government,” he said.
Bishop Ogun, on his part, said “what would have happened if the gunmen had succeeded? It would have been a sad development, considering that the Cardinal was coming to attend the 10th anniversary of the creation of Uromi Diocese. We thank God he came out unhurt. We need adequate security to protect the lives and property of residents of the state. We cannot continue to live in fear in our own land because of the activities of these criminals”.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/gunmen-attack-onaiyekan-in-edo/144774.html
Old news.
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 02, 2016
kissval1388:
sister, stop editing your pictures! What If you get missing? How do you expect us to find you when you look like Beyonce on BBM, Kim Kadarshin on Facebook and Taribo West's or Taye Taiwo' in real life

U well so? Or you miss road enter this thread?
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by ajoskele(m): 8:52pm On May 02, 2016
Angelberry:
Oh, I get what you saying now grin
Good.
Re: Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 02, 2016
ajoskele:
Good.
cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Christmas Is A Celebration For Pagans – Daddy Freeze / You Are Not Condemned / Chris Okotie Celebrates 30th Anniversary Of Household Of God Church (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.