Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

What Are My Rights As A Student? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Are My Rights As A Student? (1688 Views)

Edward Kisuze, Ugandan Lecturer Arrested For Sexually Harassing A Student / Oyedepo In His Own Time: Throwback Haircut Hypocrisy And The Rights Of The Olori / Nigerian Law School Expels A Student Few Days To His Bar Final Exams (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Are My Rights As A Student? by Hexzagon: 8:29am On May 03, 2016
I've been wondering where the problem lies, if it's in the fact that the system keeps employing illiterates who are incompetent to know the details of their job description or the fault is inherent in the system.

Now the story, i moved recently to a new location and there's a federal Institute just a stone trow from my abode, for the past week I've been going there to study without problems. This morning in a bid to continue my routine, I was stopped at the gate and the only thing I could make out from the gibberish the chief security operative spewed is that if I'm not a staff or a student of the institution, I have no business being there. I made a little effort in trying to identify myself as a student of the school within the same locality and giving the reason why I chose to come study there was for the proximity, but he still maintained his stand.

I walked back home thinking how much of a threat I must have been to them that they wouldn't allow one who is a student of a Nigerian Institute not go to another to study (and how brave they'll run with their tails between their legs when the "non-threat" comes around).

Now I would want to know if there's anything wrong with a student going to another school premises to study (I'm not going to ask if there's any provision for that in the law as per my right as a student since the country is fundamentally lawless). As a student don't I have right to walk into an educational organization of any sort for a purposeful visit without being harassed since I'm not an "oga at the top"? In essence, what are my rights as a Nigerian student, what are my bounds? I'm so pained.

(note: part of my reasons for writing is to vent because it makes me feel better but I'll love to hear your response)
Re: What Are My Rights As A Student? by Nobody: 8:51am On May 03, 2016
Re: What Are My Rights As A Student? by Adebola02(m): 10:33am On May 03, 2016
I think you have a right to study in any government institution, provided you present your school ID card, i do visit UI to read when i am at Bodija in Ibadan,there is a section for us in the school library where external student can read,do some research and other things.The security officer in the institution you mentioned acted base on his discretion, i realise in this country that the moment you try get some things done in the official and acceptable way,they won't allow you to get what you want, just go there again,be polite,greet them in their native language and ask for permission to study, i think a right thinking and matured man will not deny the permission.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

School Of Nursing In Nigeria Nd Their Tuition Fees / Discuss The Place Of Communication In Conflict Resolution And Peace Building / Boy Goes Completely Mad After Trying To Spend 10 Nights Sleeping In Graveyard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.