Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? (11789 Views)

Get A Job With The Right Cv - Allow Me Rewrite Your Cv To Meet That Job Standard / Ruona Meyer Who Sold Kerosene Years Ago In Lagos Lands Job With BBC (Photos) / Just Got A Job with a federal Government agency,which State Should I Pick? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Nobody: 10:07am On May 03, 2016
Hey guys,
I need your candid opinion and advice on this. I am first class graduate of Civil Engineering from one of the prestigious federal university in Nigeria.
I won all expense-paid scholarship to Thailand and also secured job with a bank.
The bank job total take home is around 198k but I am confused whether to take up the job or go for my masters degree.
I am particularly confused because of job insecurity associated with banking industry as well as deviating from my career aspiration of becoming an Engineer.
I am also concerned of not being able to secure decent job when I come back after my masters programme in Thailand.
I will be glad for your honest opinion and advice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by PresVA: 10:24am On May 03, 2016
Seriously, to me the bank job isn't worth holding you down here especially as it isn't your desired career...Don't go and kill your first class and engineering dream in d bank.... undecided

Besides, you can still get a bank job when you're back as they recruit everyday!! (Except age isn't on your side)..

Take the Thailand risk/opportunity, make good grades...I believe opportunities better than that of the bank will spring up.... All the best. . smiley

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by kachiz(m): 10:23pm On May 03, 2016
dany2k:
Hey guys,
I need your candid opinion and advice on this. I am first class graduate of Civil Engineering from one of the prestigious federal university in Nigeria.
I won all expense-paid scholarship to Thailand and also secured job with sterling bank.
Sterling bank job total take home is around 198k but I am confused whether to take up the job or go for my masters degree.
I am particularly confused because of job insecurity associated with banking industry as well as deviating from my career aspiration of becoming an Engineer.
I am also concerned of not being able to secure decent job when I come back after my masters programme in Thailand.
I will be glad for your honest opinion and advice

Cc lalasticlala

I studied Civil Engineering too. I won't give up that career line for any banking job for now. Even though the pay is mouth watering, I think it will be better to take up the Thailand offer. Advance yourself, there are still plenty Engineering firms that will find your qualifications useful.

5 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by MadCow1: 9:47am On May 04, 2016
As an Igbo Man, Thailand one way...

19 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by flyca: 9:47am On May 04, 2016
1st class in Civil Engineering, is Bank job of 198K really your best shot
Thailand? Hmmmm, many drug lords there.

Bro, you can do better than these two options.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Nobody: 9:47am On May 04, 2016
Thailand first..take the first part "I won all expense-paid scholarship to Thailand." Delete the remainder wink
Sterling ko, sterling pounds ni

23 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by sammieguze(m): 9:47am On May 04, 2016
Hmmm...

Wondering if people go to school coz they actually love school or to gain the necessary skills to earn a living.

Except you want to be a lecturer o, in my own opinion, go for the banking job and go for specialization programmes to enhance your relevance in whatever field appeals to you instead of wasting more time and resources over a venture where you re not even sure of landing a more lucrative job offer on your return.

You can also put in for more lucrative job offers available while you are at it.

A bird in hand.....

6 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by stobery(m): 9:48am On May 04, 2016
Scholarship first
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Drewlex: 9:48am On May 04, 2016
Keneking:
Thailand first
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by ireneony(f): 9:49am On May 04, 2016
PresVA:
Seriously, to me the bank job isn't worth holding you down here especially as it isn't your desired career...Don't go and kill your first class and engineering dream in d bank.... undecided

Besides, you can still get a bank job when you're back as they recruit everyday!! (Except age isn't on your side)..

Take the Thailand risk/opportunity, make good grades...I believe opportunities better than that of the bank will spring up.... All the best. . smiley
take the first offer afterall you are a first class graduate and there are more opportunities to come.

What is 198k compared to your worth? undecided

First offer it is!

8 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Chuksemi(m): 9:49am On May 04, 2016
The way banks are sacking people and recruiting people. If you join this batch for employment. You will join the next batch for retrenchment. Be wise.

7 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by omauchay(f): 9:49am On May 04, 2016
Op you just know what to do...Bank job ko..bank job ni

1 Like

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by chinawapzy(m): 9:50am On May 04, 2016
I dey find my tooth brush ooo...#Agrobalm# must hear about this info

2 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by hybeenoni: 9:50am On May 04, 2016
Some pple sef!!!
So 4 ur mind nw u no knw say bank no get guaranty abi?
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by CharlieMaria(m): 9:50am On May 04, 2016
Go for the Job, but for me i will prefer a masquarade Job to all these.

13 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Matty145(m): 9:50am On May 04, 2016
As a practising civil engineer, i advice u to kill that bank job ;let it die by fire. Go for ur MSC at Thailand. the future is so bright for u so dont mortgage it. cheers!

3 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by SmooshCHN: 9:51am On May 04, 2016
I'd go after the master's programme for now. BTW, can you shed more light on how you got the scholarship or other scholarship programs available for Thailand. Thank you @dany2k

5 Likes

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by delightf(f): 9:51am On May 04, 2016
MadCow1:
As an Igbo Man, Thailand one way...
you jst got it rite
As an igbo babe thailand dat does nt means when u cm back u ll nt see another job
Jst go 4 thailand nd see changes there

1 Like

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by adedam007(m): 9:51am On May 04, 2016
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Tosinville(m): 9:51am On May 04, 2016
Wetin I wan go do for Thailand? U no talk yankee, CA or aussie. Abeg gimme sterling bank job

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Kingzy4pep(m): 9:52am On May 04, 2016
You won't regret leaving the job.. Go for your MSc.
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by olapluto(m): 9:52am On May 04, 2016
When you say all expenses paid scholarship to Thailand, does that include monthly stipend?`If so, your monthly stipend with rent included should be much more than 200k. Alternatively, with your 1st class, you can secure a good job any time .
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by omolola15(m): 9:52am On May 04, 2016
With good grades in your MSc I'm sure you'll get a better offer in the future.
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Bamz(m): 9:53am On May 04, 2016
I get disappointed with these kinds of questions coming from an engie for that matter. I'm sure you know what's called opportunity cost, as well as alternatives analysis. Do your assignment, where do you see yourself in the next 3-5 years considering your next line of action?
Decisions on here would sway you here and there, and you would not get any consensus.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Pranxta(m): 9:53am On May 04, 2016
Op,them no dey tell person twice,take d bank job ooo
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by philtex(m): 9:54am On May 04, 2016
Just Take me out of this country... sad
Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by Kingzy4pep(m): 9:54am On May 04, 2016
Tosinville:
Wetin I wan go do for Thailand? U no talk yankee, CA or aussie. Abeg gimme sterling bank job
Shey dem dey pick money for Australia and Canada?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by udyheart01(m): 9:55am On May 04, 2016
Hit Like For Scholarship And Share For Bank Job

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Expense Paid Scholarship To Thailand Or A Job With A Top Bank? by tomdon(m): 9:55am On May 04, 2016
l understand how that kind of amount could seem mouth watering for a fresh graduate but it pales into oblivion in comparison to the reward that civil engineering career will earn you.
if working in a bank wouldn't be a deviation from your career path which I should add is a waste of your talent, I would have advised that you take up the job to build experience.
it would have even made more sense if it was a company like auditing companies, that could make you a partner after some years, but banking job is a not a good path for you at all.
there are lots of opportunities for engineering in Nigeria now and in the nearest future especially civil engineering. and it is true that civil engineering is the father of all engineering.
as an engineer myself, I advise that you don't take up that job if at this same time you have the opportunity of going to do your masters.
many opportunities are open to you as a first class graduate, you can seek for universities that can offer you opportunity of doing your PhD direct without masters.
you won't need go through all the rigors that others would go through for you to get employed by many fortune companies.
best wishes as you consider your opportunities.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Single Guy How Do You Deal With Work Stress? / What Skills Can A Sickle Cell Patient Acquire That Can Fetch Him Good Money / Is It Unprofessional To Use Whatsapp For Official/business Calls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.