Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,204 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial (11720 Views)

FG Fails To Release Looters’ List, Seven Months After / Photos Of Sambo Dasuki In Court For Olisa Metuh’s Corruption Trial. / Again, SSS Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Islie: 1:56pm On May 03, 2016

The Federal Government failed today to produce former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki before a Federal Capital Territory High Court in Abuja for trial in corruption charges brought against him by the government.

Although the witnesses in the case were assembled by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in court, the trial was scuttled by the failure of the Department of State Security Services (DSS) to release Dasuki to EFCC for the trial.

At the resumed of the case, counsel to the EFCC Mr Oluwaleke Atolagbe informed Justice Baba Yusuf that he had made serious efforts through the EFCC to contact the DSS to produce the first defendant in court and regretted that as at the time the court was sitting his efforts did not yield fruitful result.

The counsel informed the court that there was no indication that the former NSA would be brought to court for the trial even though the witnesses are in court and that also Mr. Rotimi Jacob (SAN) who was supposed to be the lead prosecution counsel was at the Court of Appeal for a different matter.

Atolagbe appealed that the matter be stood down pending the arrival of Mr. Jacob in Court to come and shed more light on the absence of Dasuki.

However, Counsel to Salisu Shuaib, a former Director of Finance ONSA, Chief Akin Olujimi said that the coming into court of Jacob would be inconsequential in the absence of the first defendant (Dasuki).

Olujimi, a former Attorney General of the Federation and Justice Minister, told the court that the prosecution had failed to produce the defendant in court and ought to admit that and asked for adjournment. The SAN informed Justice Baba Yusuf that it is settled in law that trial cannot go ahead in the absence of the defendant and prayed the Judge to grant adjournment to the prosecution to enable them take steps to produce Dasuki in Court on the adjourned date.

Olujimi also asked the court to issue a stern warning to the prosecution to be serious in the trial and to ensure that Dasuki is produced in court at all stages of the trial as demanded by law.

In his own submission, counsel to Aminu Baba-Kusa, aformer Executive at NNPC, Mr Solomon Umor informed Justice Baba Yusuf that “ordinarily the prosecution ought to apply for a bench warrant against Dasuki for a failure to appear in court for trial but noted that in the instance case, the prosecution would not do so because they are the one responsible for the absence of Dasuki because of his unwarranted detention.

“Lets the truth be told here that it is the Federal Government that is frustrating this trial because it wants to eat its cake and have it at the same time. By this I mean the government wanted the first defendant tried for criminal matter and yet it was not ready to allow the defendant have access to his lawyers or even to court to face that trial
“I would have asked that the defendants in this case be discharged and allow to go home pending the time the prosecution would get serious for their trial. But I will reluctantly concede to one more adjournment be granted to the prosecution.

“Let me say that this adjournment should go with stern warning to the prosecution should not come before this court with another story because the defendants must not be held to ransom by the unwilling prosecution.”

In his ruling, Justice Baba Yusuf said that that it was the responsibility of the prosecution to produce the defendant in court as required by law but regretted that the prosecution has unfortunately abdicated this responsibility today as far as this case is concerned.

However, the Judge said because the conduct of the prosecution had been good in the past, he granted an adjournment of the trial till May 23, 2016.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/fg-fails-to-produce-dasuki-in-court-for-trial/
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Emeskhalifa(m): 1:56pm On May 03, 2016
Maybe fuel no dey d prisons motor na.
U know this scarcity is everywhere ooo

Check my profile

5 Likes

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Imortal001: 1:57pm On May 03, 2016
Na wa oooh!
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Pidggin(f): 1:59pm On May 03, 2016
grin Why is DSS afraid to allow Dasuki defend himself in Court? zombies over to you

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by tuzeriouz: 2:05pm On May 03, 2016
I knew that his trial would end like a waste of judicial time...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by madridguy(m): 2:06pm On May 03, 2016
Dasuki don reached his final abode long time ago. Awaiting for other yam eaterz to join him soon.

2 Likes

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by ajoskele(m): 2:09pm On May 03, 2016
Salisu Shuaibu got former AG as lawyer! Hmmm

1 Like

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by DeKen: 2:09pm On May 03, 2016
OK
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Mutuwa(m): 2:09pm On May 03, 2016
undecided
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by IamQuins: 2:10pm On May 03, 2016
This is Nigeria for you, sometimes I'm just so ashamed of this country because this embarrassment is getting too much.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Kingspin(m): 2:10pm On May 03, 2016
Myself is fighting corruption also.
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by olafum1(m): 2:10pm On May 03, 2016
And they can always present him to the media..

Yeye government

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Zico5(m): 2:10pm On May 03, 2016
We need to teach these people the great lessons they will never forget throughout their lifetime. How I wish we go back to the era of dictatorship so that both the dispensers and beneficiaries can be jailed without conviction. We are all crying hardship and poverty when the major resources have been shared among the few. How I wish the constitution is suspended so that this people can know the grave consequence of their deeds.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by WDESAFETY: 2:11pm On May 03, 2016
Na wa o,,, yea fighting corruption, we understand but the FG should learn to respect court orders.
The FG is not setting a good example....

6 Likes

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by goodlifehyd1: 2:11pm On May 03, 2016
Pidggin:
grin Why is DSS afraid to allow Dasuki defend himself in Court? zombies over to you

7 Likes

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Ghost447(m): 2:12pm On May 03, 2016
This is lack of diligent prosecution

1 Like

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 2:13pm On May 03, 2016
angry
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Mikehell(m): 2:13pm On May 03, 2016
watching in 3D cool
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by justinc(m): 2:18pm On May 03, 2016
is me again. this people should take there time oooothey should handle that man and face others....work plenty for ground.I rest my case
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by kulrunsman79(m): 2:18pm On May 03, 2016
Its obvious that DSS don't have concrete evidence to prosecute Dasuki. Pls can someone tell Buhari that democracy is different from Military fiat.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by thunder74(m): 2:20pm On May 03, 2016
There is no way the government could prove most of the charges.
They have achieved what they wanted by the media prosecution to create a myth of corruption to keep people busy with something to talk about.
Once the trial of Dasuki commences, the real truth about phantom arm's gate will be exposed. Nothing will happen again at the next adjourned date.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by 400billionman: 2:23pm On May 03, 2016
Government of Injustice..

Govt of Chains.

Placing people in chains without conviction..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by erico2k2(m): 2:25pm On May 03, 2016
Zico5:
We need to teach these people the great lessons they will never forget throughout their lifetime. How I wish we go back to the era of dictatorship so that both the dispensers and beneficiaries can be jailed without conviction. We are all crying hardship and poverty when the major resources have been shared among the few. How I wish the constitution is suspended so that this people can know the grave consequence of their deeds.
Cant you see the writing on the wall yet

7 Likes

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by erico2k2(m): 2:27pm On May 03, 2016
thunder74:
There is no way the government could prove most of the charges.
They have achieved what they wanted by the media prosecution to create a myth of corruption to keep people busy with something to talk about.
Once the trial of Dasuki commences, the real truth about phantom arm's gate will be exposed. Nothing will happen again at the next adjourned date.
Exactly, you did see the writing on the wall grin grin
kia I pity zombies, dem jst enter one chance, how can the main thief in a landmark case who is meant to be in prison cant be brought to court via all the plenty cars FG has the thing nor surprise you grin grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by ITSAWRAPWORLD: 2:28pm On May 03, 2016
Not again

2 Likes

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by 400billionman: 2:33pm On May 03, 2016
This government is a personification of black hearted wickedness...

How will Nigeria make progress with these kind of people ?

Smh...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 03, 2016
Why is the prosecution is afraid of Dasunki appearing in court to defend himself? I remembered the story of tortoise and his inlaw. One morning tortoise's inlaw caught him stealing yam on his farm. He arranged for his boys to beat up tortoise and also tied him to a tree by the road side with the stolen yams placed at his feets. People going to farm in the morning unanimously condemed tortoise. But when the same people that condemned tortoise in the morning discovered that he was still tied to the tree in the evening,they started condemning the inlaw for wickedness and lack of respect to the rule of law.
The fact is tortoise's inlaw should have taken him to the village elders for judicial trial.

4 Likes

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by cruzyteejay(m): 2:45pm On May 03, 2016
Atimes I feel like riding out of this country with my bicycle or still use my legedeze benz

4 Likes

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by erico2k2(m): 2:51pm On May 03, 2016
egbonnla:
I kept wondering why the prosecution is afraid of Dasuki appearing in court to defend himself.
MayBE they have published what he never said or there might just be Dansuki window and not Gate,this is possible unless they come out with a more reasonable statement as to why the prosecution could not produce its main witness.

1 Like

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by ISpiksDaTroof: 2:53pm On May 03, 2016
Pidggin:
It happens. There could have been a mix up in communication regarding transportation and/or security. Dasuki is not going anywhere anytime soon so no need to fret.
Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by nike4love: 2:59pm On May 03, 2016
Zico5:

Are you this awful?
Abi nah something you smoke?

1 Like

Re: FG Fails To Produce Dasuki In Court For Trial by erico2k2(m): 3:09pm On May 03, 2016
nike4love:

Are you this awful?
Abi nah something you smoke?
yeh cheap something @that.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo Election: NLC endorsed Obaseki of APC- Vanguard / State Police: House Of Representatives To Introduce Bill Next Week / APC Not Threatened By Planned Mega Party – Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.