Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD (41693 Views)

Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN / PTDF Shortlisted Candidates For PHD Scholarship Scheme Interview 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by babyfaceafrica: 6:41am On May 05, 2016
Bamsupremacy:
You are the worse advicer i have ever seen. Smh
your tense is bad..work on it....thanks
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Team16(m): 6:41am On May 05, 2016
Wow, honestly I'm quite overwhelmed with all the suggestions I have received since yesterday, It's really encouraging.

First, I want say a big thank you to seun for helping me move this topic to the front thread. Thanks. I appreciate

Finally, I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has taken out time in his/her busy schedule to advise me. I appreciate all your inputs.
Thanks Thanks and Thanks

2 Likes

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Team16(m): 6:45am On May 05, 2016
Kivaro:
Young Man, Accept the PhD track. It is an all win win situation. Think of it this way, if you are not cut out as a PhD material, they will award you your masters degree. Believe it or not, you might be taking some masters' level classes if you are deficient in certain areas. Another thing you need to know, unlike in the UK, PhD students in the US and Canada take classes a lot for one or two years while conducting research at the same time. So you will not be left behind just because you feel you are not prepared enough. One more fact, some schools admit BS holders directly into the PhD program and this practice is common for chemistry, Finance, Economics, Chemical engineering, etc. By no means does direct admission into a PhD program makes it a cake walk, but just like you were a JJC in your freshman year, and you made it through your final year, you will also become a JJC in the PhD class but you also make it. As the saying goes, there is nothing to fear but fear itself. Finally, Nigerian students excel quite a lot in overseas schools because they typically hunker down and get the job done. But be afraid and burn the midnight oil if you have one or more original Chinese or Indian students in your class. Take the Plunge with the offer of PhD admission and ride into the sunset.

I appreciate bro. Thanks
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Team16(m): 6:46am On May 05, 2016
Lawlan:
Guy don't ponder over it any further because it really shows that your admission is sealed already and funding would be available for u probably. This is exactly what a close pal of mine experienced when he gained admission into university of Alabama in US which is direct PhD.Its the best option for you so grab it with both hands.

Okay. Thanks
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Team16(m): 6:48am On May 05, 2016
toprealman:
negotiate for a better future bro. Tell the prof your budget us for MSc but you can only take up a PhD if you can find a full scholarship. He must have seen great potentials in your work so don't worry too much about MSc.

Okay I appreciate. Even the MSc.E I applied for is full funded. So I'm not looking at funding as an issue here. That's why I didn't put anything relating to money in my post. Thanks All the same.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Team16(m): 6:52am On May 05, 2016
Badgers14:

No para my guy... Buckle your shoes up, you will be fine..

M.sc and PhD are similar only few extra classes and a little indept research than M.Sc.

Also check with the school they might give you full scholarship and a monthly stipend if you become a teaching assistant..

Note: if you accept a teaching assistant job, dont try to form phonetics grin they wont understand you... Just speak your normal 9ja tongue but louder..

Goodluck ma guy cool you will enjoy it... So no para, no one will ask you to buy this buy that for practical.. Just show up for your classes and do your research diligently.. Your professors plus post - docs are there to help..

Cheers!

Thank you bro.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Team16(m): 7:04am On May 05, 2016
Holudarey01:
I dey wait for this kind juicy offer.
Since it's a PhD, you should be fully funded.
By the way, don't be scared. You'd do a year of coursework before you start your research.
Wish you all the best

Thanks bro, how the hussle. Any offer from your schools yet.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by BitterTruthUass(f): 7:07am On May 05, 2016
From my experience studying for a BA, BSc and MSc in prestigious universities in the UK, I would say you can do the Doctorate program.

Most oyibo have no interest in education anymore yet they enrol for Doctorate programs and come out as a Nobel prize winner then compare yourself who has interest.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by double0seven(m): 7:21am On May 05, 2016
AgroPro:
I am in Canada. I can help you push this through and give you all relevant information you may require about the school.

Whilst studying your PhD you could also enroll in master program on a part time basis.

Canada is beautiful but cold as Bleep..get ready for -30 in winter bro. Good luck

why should also apply for Master's program Don't you know the program will awards Msc on the way to his PHD.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by double0seven(m): 7:27am On May 05, 2016
AgroPro:
I am in Canada. I can help you push this through and give you all relevant information you may require about the school.

Whilst studying your PhD you could also enroll in master program on a part time basis.

Canada is beautiful but cold as Bleep..get ready for -30 in winter bro. Good luck

why should he you also apply for Master's program on the side Don't you know the program will awards Msc on the way to PHD

Are you sure you are in Canada?
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by DeRay98(m): 7:49am On May 05, 2016
gimbayaro:
Plz go for NYSC 1st... were have it ever been done...u cant skip M.sc to PhD. Canadian university can neva do dat shit....plz lets have true stories here instead of lies & Imagine pple r even commenting...olodo full Nairaland oooo.

Pure ignoramus statement! Couple of years back, Some Nigerian universities, do used to offer First Class graduands opportunity to jump M.sc and move straight to Ph.D
In fact, that Unilag guy with a perfect GPA is too good to waste time doing masters. If a student is talented enough, schools motivate them to excel by offering such opportunity so that they can become lecturers also.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by ocheejemb: 8:25am On May 05, 2016
@OP, you should do your research but I think that a North American PhD programme has an intrinsic MSC i.e. you will attend classes and write exams before your actually qualify to do the PhD. A PhD is not necessarily harder than an MSC, if that's what you are worried about. However, it does require a certain high level of discipline, knowledge and skill that you may or may not already have from your current degrees.

My advice if for you to grab this opportunity with both hands. Profs don't make these kinds of offers to just anyone. If a random stranger believes you can do it, then you should also believe in yourself.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by nairalandbuzz(m): 8:31am On May 05, 2016
Team16:
Please oga se.un help me push to the front thread cos I need to reply this mail today.

I have a B.Sc Industrial Chemistry ( 4.01/5), Pgd Chemical Engineering ( Distinction ).

I applied for a Canadian admission for MSc.E Chemical Engineering. Normally for your admission to be successful you need to secure a supervisor whose research interest is similar to yours. I have done that and he encouraged me to apply. I submitted my application and after going through my application with other supporting documents like letter of motivation and others, he sent me a mail this afternoon that they want to consider me PhD instead of MSc I applied for. I'm very confused right now if to accept it or not considering high standard of education abroad as I use to hear, I haven't experienced foreign education before, this is my first. Please note my ultimate goal is to obtain a PhD. Please help me push to the front thread cos I need advice from experienced Nigerians who have studied abroad. Thanks. I appreciate

Guy,

I see no reason for you to spill this on Nairaland.. You know you would be going for the PhD urself, which is the best in this case...

I just want you to know that you should be ready to work for/with the supervisor as a research assistant or lecturer as the case is as well, earn some money and use him to get scholarships too...

I envy you o...

You fit tell me the name of the school biko?
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by adebayo1973(m): 8:32am On May 05, 2016
I think you should consider his offer.

Pls I need your template for letter of motivation. I have been battling with mine for PhD in Canada
08160238065WHATSAPP.[/quote]
adebayo.olaniyi@gmail.com
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by ocelot2006(m): 8:47am On May 05, 2016
Your ultimate goal is a PhD and you've been offered just that. GRAB IT. Congratulations.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by DrDxtrz: 8:49am On May 05, 2016
After my Bsc in stanford, i was automatically qualified for a PHD, which i went for, so don't panic.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Nobody: 8:52am On May 05, 2016
Team16:

Thanks bro, how the hussle. Any offer from your schools yet.
no funding yet. Abi you wan help my ministry?
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by mikeapollo: 9:17am On May 05, 2016
Team16:
Please oga se.un help me push to the front thread cos I need to reply this mail today.

I have a B.Sc Industrial Chemistry ( 4.01/5), Pgd Chemical Engineering ( Distinction ).

I applied for a Canadian admission for MSc.E Chemical Engineering. Normally for your admission to be successful you need to secure a supervisor whose research interest is similar to yours. I have done that and he encouraged me to apply. I submitted my application and after going through my application with other supporting documents like letter of motivation and others, he sent me a mail this afternoon that they want to consider me PhD instead of MSc I applied for. I'm very confused right now if to accept it or not considering high standard of education abroad as I use to hear, I haven't experienced foreign education before, this is my first. Please note my ultimate goal is to obtain a PhD. Please help me push to the front thread cos I need advice from experienced Nigerians who have studied abroad. Thanks. I appreciate

My guy, don't be scared. Go for the PhD. But discuss with your supervisor and he can allow you to have an extended PhD program that incorporates some taught elements (M.Sc.) He will be willing to cooperate since he is the one that suggested the PhD program to you. PhD is the ultimate. Don't miss a PhD in Canadian university for anything. They are not Nigerian schools that will frustrate you out of the program. Go for it.

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by 1forall: 9:21am On May 05, 2016
AgroPro:

What would be the point of this?
The candidate holds a BSc, PGd and will be on track to acquire a PhD. What would be the point of running a part-time MSc on top of it?

OP, please go for the PhD without hesitation. A reason why your supervisor suggested so is because he believes you can achieve it based on your academic record. Turning down the offer would be letting him down, and indirectly saying you don't believe in yourself enough.

It's a challenge and opportunity for you to step up and I think you should grab it boldly and prove your mettle.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by iriskiki(f): 9:35am On May 05, 2016
Are you afraid that you might not be able to cope?

Bear in mind that their student support system actually exists and is very useful.

Kindly accept. My prayers and blessings go with you.

Team16:

Bro I appreciate. My interest in a PhD isn't to be lecturer now. My research is industrial based and applicable to government related issues in terms of making policies. Job prospects, I'm looking at IEA, IAEA and the likes. That's my plan and before now I wanted to take it one step at a time before this offer came in this afternoon and I need to reply tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by persianprince(m): 9:57am On May 05, 2016
In Nigeria, we are stereotyped to always blindly follow a cast-ironed educational system with little room for change. If an emeritus professor deemed it fit for you to undergo a Ph.d programme, it is not an issue but an opportunity. It will only become an issue when funding for such programme is a setback.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by legendprac(m): 10:07am On May 05, 2016
Simple. Reply him stating you would love to take up the offer, but that you are worried about the funding(usually they will give you scholarship and also pay you some money as you might be lecturing too)... If they do, accept sharp sharp before they change their minds

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by BrilliantMind: 10:34am On May 05, 2016
ANS PLS @ AgroPro and Team16" PLS Advice me on how to process my M.Eng in canada with my degree in Chemical engineering.Pls help a brother. u can contact me on: myzeebaby7@gmail.com. Thank you.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Khez: 10:49am On May 05, 2016
Okafor.km@gmail.com
Send me your number, make we discuss

AgroPro:

I'm in Toronto
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by denowo(m): 10:51am On May 05, 2016
There is nothing to be scared about, if you are being offered a PHD course, it only means your study wont end at the MSc stage but continue until you finish your PHD, you will still do the MSc modules before you start the PHD proper. It is at the MSc stage your research methodology knowledge will be enhanced in preparation for the Phd
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Mrbigman2: 10:58am On May 05, 2016
Team16:

I had similar issues, I graduated with a 3rd class but with plenty of industrial experience.
I applied for direct Msc, I met a lecturer in uniben to help me out, after going through my CV, he said, if his being given a chance, he would pick me for Mphil.

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by Obeenah(m): 11:25am On May 05, 2016
mrking3:
Bros, go for your MSC!! Its one step at a Time!! No hurry Bro ... Even the overall Unilag Best Graduate with Record breaking 5.0/5.0 will never skip msc for Phd. You don't get double promotion for Higher Degrees unlike primaries or high school. Its just a matter of 1yr and 6 months Max! And you're done with MSC. So why the Rush or hurry bro?

Read the guy said he has a PGD already. With distinction.
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by mytym(m): 11:45am On May 05, 2016
Team16:

Please accept the PhD offer...You are brilliant and very lucky, in the sense that your bachelors is not engineering and the PgD is to make you eligible for MSc. Some folks with MSc Chemical Engineering even had to do M.Phil first before Ph.D

1 Like

Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by AgroPro: 11:51am On May 05, 2016
Khez:
Okafor.km@gmail.com
Send me your number, make we discuss

Send me an email braddouglas529@gmail.com
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by AgroPro: 11:58am On May 05, 2016
double0seven:

why should he you also apply for Master's program on the side Don't you know the program will awards Msc on the way to PHD

Are you sure you are in Canada?

You obviously don't get it. Some jobs would require you to have all 3 qualifications. Bachelor, Masters and PhD. It's great he is jumping straight to PhD but he would be stuck when applying for such jobs that require all 3 qualifications. Got it?

And duh to ur question if I'm in Canada. Where else would I be? Ur village?
Re: I Applied For MSc But Foreign Supervisor Said School Is Accepting Me For PhD by AgroPro: 12:06pm On May 05, 2016
iry56:
As someone who lives in Canada and also have a husband who has a PhD from a Canadian university I would advise you take the phd offer. Firstly your first two years studying for the PhD degree would require you to take some courses at Master degree level as sometimes Bachelor degree courses. This will help prepare you for the PhD research work. You would also need to pass your comprehensive exam which are courses at Master and Bachelor degree level so you really don't have anything to lose. I believe you could also ask to have some Master courses taken if you further wish to strengthen your knowledge at the end you complete your program in 4 to 5 years rather than the 6 to 8 years if you go for a Masters degree first. I hope this helps

Tell em

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Some Funny School Answers / A Kaduna Teacher's Reasons On Why They Failed The Primary Four Test / Do You Still Remember? Who Can Solve This Jss1 Maths Question? Ja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.