Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) (8139 Views)

010 Corolla, 08 Escape, 06 Rav4 Sport V6, 06 Civic, 05 Vibe / SOLD!!Registered Corolla Sport For Sale In Abuja / Honda Civic 05 For Sale In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 7:34pm On May 05, 2016
This might not be a fair comparison...but the demand for the corolla has seen its price sky-rocket so far.

With 800k one can only be a bit lucky to get the corolla...while a cleaner and sharper civic is asking for even 700k with open arms.

My question is to the auto pros in here:

Why do people keep discouraging the purchase of anything Honda for a beginner?

Is it really that bad and trouble packed?

I've talked to older and experienced friends and family...and none ever encouraged my Honda civic option (basically for its 1.8L similarity to the Corolla)

The all claim I'll spend hell maintaining the Honda...

The corolla scarcity is getting me fed up and seriously considering the Honda now...thats why I'm seeking this advice from anyone who cares to drop a word for me.

I'll really appreciate a candid and unbiased advice.

Elantra 08 is also another ride being considered as an option.

1 Like

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Jasmine360(f): 10:59pm On May 05, 2016
My bro- am looking for a clean 05 corolla to buy- LE OR sPORTS registered. I have 850k cash.

Toyota corolla is strong, reliable and doesn't have major mechanical issues if well maintained. InfactI know someone who hasn't spent
any money on any major repairs for 2yrs plus except servicing at 5000km.

Go for Corolla!
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Readonee35L(m): 11:19pm On May 05, 2016
Forget Corolla now.
The way people spend big money for that old bland car is rubbish, it's a nice car no doubt and it's maintenance is no different from the civic.
But we Nigerians believe what he heaRd from one man who heard it from his wife who also heard from the cousin.

Mr man buy the civic it's not a bad car it's strong too, the maintenance is not bad and it's economical, in fact the civic consumes lesser than the corolla, and I stand on that .
Corolla or camry are not the only cars in the world.
And as long everyone has that stupid mentality that corolla no they chop fuel or its the best , it results to high demand , and your dealer will keep on increasing the price .

You can try the elantra too, it's a nice car.
In life you don't follow a baND wagon but what you know is right and works best for you, most of the people advicing don't even drive a civic.

Buy a perfect clean ride . And give it proper maintenance.
That's the key bro .
For less than 650k you'll get 03-06clean Niger used civic.

If you're lucky you'll get an 07 civic from 800k upwards .
Make sure you take a competent mechanic along for proper Checkup

Civic
combined
city/highway
MPG
City MPG:26
city
Highway 36

Corolla
combined
city/highway
MPG
city
Highway MPG:35
highway

14 Likes

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 6:38am On May 06, 2016
Now this is the kinda motivation I need right now. I hope I don't regret the decision... Cos crowd don dey prepare to see me frequenting the mech shop already.

Jasmine360 abeg if you get to see 03/04 corolla even if it's CE. Try contact me pls.
Readonee35L:
Forget Corolla now.
The way people spend big money for that old bland car is rubbish, it's a nice car no doubt and it's maintenance is no different from the civic.
But we Nigerians believe what he heaRd from one man who heard it from his wife who also heard from the cousin.

Mr man buy the civic it's not a bad car it's strong too, the maintenance is not bad and it's economical, in fact the civic consumes lesser than the corolla, and I stand on that .
Corolla or camry are not the only cars in the world.
And as long everyone has that stupid mentality that corolla no they chop fuel or its the best , it results to high demand , and your dealer will keep on increasing the price .

You can try the elantra too, it's a nice car.
In life you don't follow a baND wagon but what you know is right and works best for you, most of the people advicing don't even drive a civic.

Buy a perfect clean ride . And give it proper maintenance.
That's the key bro .
For less than 650k you'll get 03-06clean Niger used civic.

If you're lucky you'll get an 07 civic from 800k upwards .
Make sure you take a competent mechanic along for proper Checkup

Civic
combined
city/highway
MPG
city
Highway 36

Corolla
combined
city/highway
MPG
city
Highway MPG:35
highway
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Jasmine360(f): 8:55am On May 06, 2016
Hi Lets look at it this way- Toyota corolla gives you 39-40MPG on Highway

I really wanted to like the honda civic but it looks too fragile than the Corolla. I have driven the Civic 08 and It's low to the ground and that causes issues. I'm not that tall and getting in and out get's old real fast.In the city it's not very good for 2 major reasons. First, the suspension is really stiff so you feel every single bump and pothole. Second, you are low to the ground and sit low inside. Combined with the wide corners in the blind spots and your visibility is quit poor.
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by kolaaderin: 9:54am On May 06, 2016
Poch:
This might not be a fair comparison...but the demand for the corolla has seen its price sky-rocket so far.

With 800k one can only be a bit lucky to get the corolla...while a cleaner and sharper civic is asking for even 700k with open arms.

My question is to the auto pros in here:

Why do people keep discouraging the purchase of anything Honda for a beginner?

Is it really that bad and trouble packed?

I've talked to older and experienced friends and family...and none ever encouraged my Honda civic option (basically for its 1.8L similarity to the Corolla)

The all claim I'll spend hell maintaining the Honda...

The corolla scarcity is getting me fed up and seriously considering the Honda now...thats why I'm seeking this advice from anyone who cares to drop a word for me.

I'll really appreciate a candid and unbiased advice.

Elantra 08 is also another ride being considered as an option.

Although corolla is a good car, but it has been over hyped over the civic. Don't follow the crowd Nigerian are just like that, once they accept something nothing else is good again. In terms of maintaince, experience has shown that even the corolla is more expensive to maintain to that of civic.
A friend of mine wanted to get a tokunbo engine for his 2002 corolla last month and to my surprise I was shocked to know the engine is going for over 200k, he initially wanted to ring the previous engine but I advice him to buy a tokunbo as ringing engine is mostly hoax but at the end he got no choice than to ring the engine for 50k and now he is considering selling off the car as is no longer driving perfectly.
Meanwhile I'm driving 2008 volkswagen Passat and my engine got damaged due to water flood late last year, I got my super clean tokunbo engine for 130k. Now tell me which is cheaper to maintain considering the year difference. 2002 Corolla vs 2008 Passat.
Another is a colleague in office, he bought two front shocks for his 2001 Camry for 16k same period I bought 2 front shocks for mercedes ml 320 for 14k ironically. Toyotas are over hyped.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 12:14pm On May 06, 2016
Toyota is really over-hyped in this country.

I might just cut the chase and get me a good Honda...alongside some cool savings.

Basically, I feel with a good maintenance culture, the Honda might also do its thing without issues.

1 Like

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by phnibeogu: 3:51pm On May 06, 2016
first of all. there's no way an 03/04 would best any 06/07 car... secondly Honda is as reliable as Toyota... thirdly. if there's any difference. it's very insignificant.. fourthly... if u know what driving feels like.. u won't want to be caught dead in a Toyota...
ok let's get get down to pure analysis.. Toyota is dead boring... but durable... yes it's slightly higher so this gives it an edge ... but civic.. I have one... is a joy. but it's slightly low... u would have to remaster ur driving techniques to use a low car... so if u live in a city with good road network... u would be silly to go for a corrolla... I have driven both... I felt I was turning the steering of a trailer. had to take the corrola to mechanic to check if the steering was alright. it was ... just doesn't have as good handling as a civic. so in all... the Toyotas advantage is.. 10 litres would do let's say 100 kilometres and civic would do 95 ... so it's insignificant if u ask me.. well.. I hope I've made sense.. just don't go get a full dead... that's where ur problem would start.. I don't think a corrolla can stand a civic in my honest opinion

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by kingi777: 4:09pm On May 06, 2016
Bro goggle about corolla below 2005 model, u will notice that after 120,000 millage, they will start swallowing oil like petrol. My corolla is presently at the mechanic where they are fixing rings and timing chain that damaged. Note I bought the engine about 2 weeks ago after the engine that came with the car got knocked. The first engine was shorting oil b4 I ringed it. The car runs well o but the oil shortage is a problem with most zz engines which got corrected from 2005 . I spent more than #200000 on the car yet I gave mechanic #30,500 yesterday to buy parts for the engine I just bought. I'm regretting selling my camry 2000 for this corolla 03. I hv not used honda cars anyway.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by eRex(m): 6:00pm On May 06, 2016
Every body said baby boy e bad.. e leg go break... nna... na wetin I buy put for house.. naija used sef... and I have done nothing than service engine and gear.. normal maintenance... and have been crusing round town... guess what... I have the baddest of road.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 11:29pm On May 06, 2016
God bless you guys jare...

I'm almost closing down a deal on an 06/07 civic. I no fit shout.

Corolla no fit give me hypertension.
These Honda cars are mad ass clean and beautiful sha!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 11:34pm On May 06, 2016
I spoke with a distant friend who has been using a civic since 2008 (though bought brand new)...and he was furious at my claim of issues on the vehicle.
He categorically told me that his civic was 100% fit for purpose...and he's been without any regrets.

phnibeogu:
first of all. there's no way an 03/04 would best any 06/07 car... secondly Honda is as reliable as Toyota... thirdly. if there's any difference. it's very insignificant.. fourthly... if u know what driving feels like.. u won't want to be caught dead in a Toyota...
ok let's get get down to pure analysis.. Toyota is dead boring... but durable... yes it's slightly higher so this gives it an edge ... but civic.. I have one... is a joy. but it's slightly low... u would have to remaster ur driving techniques to use a low car... so if u live in a city with good road network... u would be silly to go for a corrolla... I have driven both... I felt I was turning the steering of a trailer. had to take the corrola to mechanic to check if the steering was alright. it was ... just doesn't have as good handling as a civic. so in all... the Toyotas advantage is.. 10 litres would do let's say 100 kilometres and civic would do 95 ... so it's insignificant if u ask me.. well.. I hope I've made sense.. just don't go get a full dead... that's where ur problem would start.. I don't think a corrolla can stand a civic in my honest opinion
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Jasmine360(f): 8:05am On May 07, 2016
Point of correct ion. Corolla Engine now is 135,000 not 200,000 at Ladipo.lts very bad to give people wrong information when you have not visited Ladipo where this engines are sold. As at 4th May the price was 135k. Thanks
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 8:36am On May 07, 2016
Jasmine360:
Point of correct ion. Corolla Engine now is 135,000 not 200,000 at Ladipo.lts very bad to give people wrong information when you have not visited Ladipo where this engines are sold. As at 4th May the price was 135k. Thanks

I think I could use a bit of ur expertise.
Pls check ur inbox.
Thanks.
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by kingi777: 9:56am On May 07, 2016
Jasmine360:
That's Lagos. Price it in Abuja here. The last price is #170k or #165000. I called Lagos n was told #135k last but declined because of the distance. Note I spent more than 200k because the first engine given to me had knocking sound, I had to tow the car to the seller b4 he agreed to change it. Now calculate the cost of mounting two engines.

1 Like

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Jasmine360(f): 1:37pm On May 07, 2016
Buy a Toyota corolla 2004/05 model in top condition. You will not regret it.

Poch:

Pls check ur inbox.
Thanks.
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by bebe2(f): 6:50pm On May 08, 2016
Hmmm; I am tired of this process

I want to buy a car for my 80yr old mum.

Not sure Wat to get, pple advised corolla, but with the price and quality I have seen, don't think it worth it.

But I saw a pathfinder dat I like but Benin boys dey fear me. Don't want anything flashy
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Jasmine360(f): 10:17pm On Jun 14, 2016
Poch:

Pls check ur inbox.
Thanks.

Hi,

I just got 04 Corolla for myself. Very clean and enjoying every drive and feel of the car. what about you?
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 7:15pm On Jun 16, 2016
Jasmine360:

Hi,

I just got 04 Corolla for myself. Very clean and enjoying every drive and feel of the car. what about you?
Wow...congrats

I got a civic 07 about a month ago...and its also been an awesome experience.
Fuel economy
Really prestigious and creamy
Smooth ride
Only minor issue is its so low (but I have a very perfect road network so it's really not an issue at the moment).

I think I made the right decision... I hope it stays that way for long.

6 Likes

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by awele186: 9:02am On Aug 13, 2018
Poch has your civic given you any issues. I'm confused between the corolla and civic
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 10:11pm On Feb 09, 2019
awele186:
Poch has your civic given you any issues. I'm confused between the corolla and civic

So sorry I’m just seeing this.

I’ve used my civic for almost 3 years now... trust me... it’s was the best decision ever.
I enjoyed every ride with that car... super reliable... rugged, fuel efficient, low maintenance cost... super perfect car.

I even relocated from my very perfectly road networked city to the crazy Lagos about 2 years ago (2017) and I drove down severally from the south to Lagos (8 hours min on the road) and my civic always delivered perfectly.

I’ve been using the car to and fro work daily for the past 2 years in Lagos, and it never failed me... except for pretty minor issues and obviously routine maintenance (which must be imbibed as a habit).

Fortunately and/or unfortunately, I got myself another car recently and seriously thinking of disposing my super Honda Civic.

Initially considered putting it up for ehailing (uber/taxify), but I’m not sure I’ll have time to monitor the driver and go through all that stress... so I might have to sell it off soon.

I’ve been so reluctant on a decision for a while now... but I’m certain I’ll be disposing this week.

So if you get a decent civic 06-08, trust me, you’ll enjoy it even better than the corolla 03-06... because of its beautiful interior, prestigious design (comparing with the corolla), and super performance.

This is coming from a direct user.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by felai: 2:45am On Feb 10, 2019
Poch:

So sorry I’m just seeing this.

I’ve used my civic for almost 3 years now... trust me... it’s was the best decision ever.
I enjoyed every ride with that car... super reliable... rugged, fuel efficient, low maintenance cost... super perfect car.

I even relocated from my very perfectly road networked city to the crazy Lagos about 2 years ago (2017) and I drove down severally from the south to Lagos (8 hours min on the road) and my civic always delivered perfectly.

I’ve been using the car to and fro work daily for the past 2 years in Lagos, and it never failed me... except for pretty minor issues and obviously routine maintenance (which must be imbibed as a habit).

Fortunately and/or unfortunately, I got myself another car recently and seriously thinking of disposing my super Honda Civic.

Initially considered putting it up for ehailing (uber/taxify), but I’m not sure I’ll have time to monitor the driver and go through all that stress... so I might have to sell it off soon.

I’ve been so reluctant on a decision for a while now... but I’m certain I’ll be disposing this week.

So if you get a decent civic 06-08, trust me, you’ll enjoy it even better than the corolla 03-06... because of its beautiful interior, prestigious design (comparing with the corolla), and super performance.

This is coming from a direct user.

Boss, bless me with this your Honda na.

How much are you selling?
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by ricadogbenla: 3:57am On Feb 10, 2019
Awele 186, I am ready to buy your Honda Civic tomorrow after inspection.Whatshap me for better discussion on-07064977549
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 1:59pm On Feb 10, 2019
felai:

Boss, bless me with this your Honda na.

How much are you selling?

Bless ke... lol
Between 700-900k sha
Trying to get a good and professional valuation before putting forward a price.
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by wabuk(m): 3:44pm On Feb 10, 2019
Pls how much can I get 07 honda civic tokunbo
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by ChriisDiamond(m): 10:38am On Feb 12, 2019
Poch:

Bless ke... lol
Between 700-900k sha
Trying to get a good and professional valuation before putting forward a price.
Once you've gotten the professional valuation (really hope it'll be at the lower end of your range), could you contact me?
I'm in the market for an 07/08 Civic and I would prefer to buy from an owner (rather than a dealer) so I can get the accurate history of the car.
Please email me okwelumechris@gmail.com or WhatsApp/call 07061556965

1 Like

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 12:29am On Feb 13, 2019
Reach me on WhatsApp:

h t t p: / / b i t . l y/WhatsAppPoch

I hope the link will be allowed by NL.
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 11:30pm On Feb 21, 2019
Car is finally going for 800k.

See pics and more here:

https://www.nairaland.com/5038718/black-honda-civic-2006-american#75975977

1 Like

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Texasbound190: 7:38am On Feb 22, 2019
An honest advice from someone who has used the two.Seriously Honda is great but a Toyota will always be better, I will advice you as a first timer to do corolla,be rest assured for the second hand value,U can never resell an Honda for a good price.Take it or leave it, engine wise,Honda engine drags,it's slow,I advice corolla,but if your budget isn't enough,do the Honda but know that u can't resell at the price u wish.
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by boluwaay(m): 7:48am On Feb 22, 2019
Studies have shown that Corolla and Civic are both good cars and are easy to maintain. But for fair understanding of both, go to https://www.samarins.com/reviews/ and read about the reviews for both corolla and civic (general reviews based on their year/model ranges)
The site has one of the best fair analysis of selected brands reviews. I believe it will clear your doubts.
Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 22, 2019
Sorry, you know nothing about Cars. I used a 2007 Corlla in 2016. That car is super boring and bland with it stupid crank noise when you start the car.
Always with linkage issues and burshing problems. When it comes to race, its not even a racer.

A Honda Civic does more than your corolla. Perfect interior, good design, super fast and Honda has got a dogged engine more than Toyota. Everyone knows.

Stop the toyota stereotypical Naija mindset and say what you know.

Thank God people are buying the Mazda CX-9 now, see how prestigious it is? Go and read up about the Engine.

Texasbound190:
An honest advice from someone who has used the two.Seriously Honda is great but a Toyota will always be better, I will advice you as a first timer to do corolla,be rest assured for the second hand value,U can never resell an Honda for a good price.Take it or leave it, engine wise,Honda engine drags,it's slow,I advice corolla,but if your budget isn't enough,do the Honda but know that u can't resell at the price u wish.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Registered Corolla 03/04 Vs Civic 05/07 (advise Deeply Needed) by Poch: 12:59pm On Feb 23, 2019
latestmodel:
Sorry, you know nothing about Cars. I used a 2007 Corlla in 2016. That car is super boring and bland with it stupid crank noise when you start the car.
Always with linkage issues and burshing problems. When it comes to race, its not even a racer.

A Honda Civic does more than your corolla. Perfect interior, good design, super fast and Honda has got a dogged engine more than Toyota. Everyone knows.

Stop the toyota stereotypical Naija mindset and say what you know.

Thank God people are buying the Mazda CX-9 now, see how prestigious it is? Go and read up about the Engine.

Without any bias, I agree 100% with you.
Who no go, no know. The civic is a brand that is silently better than the corolla... Nigerians will never agree... I too had same mindset until I took the risk in getting mine...3 years down the line and its been an awesome experience...
Something else you mentioned, the civic can run for Africa...used it severally between benin and lagos... You can easily hit 160kmph and still enjoy perfect control of the car...its fast and madly stable. It's a joy to drive.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

2004 Mercedes Benz G-wagon G500 (Also Available 2003 - 2007 Models G550/G55 AMG) / Vin Checks / For Sale; 12 Tyre 40 TONES MAN DIESEL Three Sided Tipper, 8x4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.